Drivers fight 407 ETR's right to coll...

Drivers fight 407 ETR's right to collect toll debts after bankruptcy

There are 8 comments on the The Toronto Star story from May 16, 2012, titled Drivers fight 407 ETR's right to collect toll debts after bankruptcy. In it, The Toronto Star reports that:

Grant Lewry declared bankruptcy and wiped his debts clean, but he can't get his licence plates renewed until he pays the 407 $20,000 in unpaid debts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Toronto Star.

kdn

Ancaster, Canada

#1 May 17, 2012
I have no sympathy for Grant Lewry. Too many people think that they can just rack up their debts and then declare bankruptcy and later walk away from it all. Grant Lawry obviously has no shame, I have never declared bankruptcy and I pay my bills. I would be ashamed but he goes to the media and makes it public....WOW...Shame on you !! If you don't have the money...don't spend it !! Too many businesses have to swollow the loss when people like Grant Lewry don't pay their bills and the business he neglects to pay is at loss....that's not fair, they have bills to pay to keep their business up and running. I applaud the 407 for not letting him away with this.....You have my vote !!
charleneb

Toronto, Canada

#2 May 28, 2012
kdn, Are you kidding me???? Do you honestly think people enjoy going bankrupt? That they enjoy the censure of holier-than-thou 'morally superior' people such as yourself? Guess what, kdn? I pay my bills too but because my EXHUSBAND ran up my 407 ETR bill (yes driving MY car), I got stuck footing the bill. I'm a working mom, with two children hit with a lawsuit from these slimy characters who at least 20 times denied to even drop their interest to 20%(still highway robbery, pardon the pun, but profitable to them) so I could make a dent on the principal amount on my bill. Yes, I was even willing to make payments on something I did not even run up...however, you tell me on a 26K salary with a $1200 month rent and one child at the time how exactly I could do that with their OUTRAGEOUS interest. I got called a deadbeat and a loser by their customer service when I have personally driven this road less than 25 times in my entire life and was trying to do the right thing. When I noticed the payments that I could afford were not even denting their interest (and I was in plate denial anyway) I thought - why should I take food literally out my children's mouth only to watch the bill climb? I have no family to hand out to me nor do I have a husband or signficant other to help step up and pay this. And you know what happened? Nothing! They sat on my $3,500 bill since 2001 and sued me for $43,000 this year...ten years later! Every creditor should be able to that right? Because I personally loved having my long ago ended relationship still screw me over. AND I also loved claiming $45,000 in my bankruptcy (yes only 2k of my own debt only) at age 35, only to be told that was not good enough - that I will owe something I did not even run up FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE...and oh yeah, it will accrue indefinite interest. But yay! I screwed over 407 right? By going bankrupt? Please do not tell me that with over 156 million in profit last year they needed to rape me for over 39,000 in interest? You really should check out the real stories behind most people who 'owe' the 407 before you shoot your mouth off.
Jeff B

Trenton, Canada

#3 Mar 7, 2013
I agree with you charleneb I Also gathered up almost 40 thousand in frigung interest from them pricks I am stuck in what to do I am Also another 15000 in debt I need a vechical really bad right now and I thought maybe if I claim bankrup I will clear everything I guess not if it don't come off my license.
Lady Di

Barrie, Canada

#4 Jul 22, 2013
kdn wrote:
I have no sympathy for Grant Lewry. Too many people think that they can just rack up their debts and then declare bankruptcy and later walk away from it all. Grant Lawry obviously has no shame, I have never declared bankruptcy and I pay my bills. I would be ashamed but he goes to the media and makes it public....WOW...Shame on you !! If you don't have the money...don't spend it !! Too many businesses have to swollow the loss when people like Grant Lewry don't pay their bills and the business he neglects to pay is at loss....that's not fair, they have bills to pay to keep their business up and running. I applaud the 407 for not letting him away with this.....You have my vote !!
Ignorance is bliss. It is obvious that you have never had a business fail in Ontario. More than 75% of all businesses fail within the first five years. Many sink there life savings into building a business and if it fails, and they are forced to claim bankruptcy, they should not have right to be above any other creditor. How do you get a person with a failed business working if they can't drive to do a job. If the banks, credit card companies and all other vendor be on the creditors list why shouldn't the 407. They should fall behind the banks and credit card companies. 407 Finance charges and late payments charges overinflat the bills and should not be collectable at all.
klm

South Bend, IN

#5 Dec 2, 2013
I just returned to the states after attending an event in Toronto. I was on the 407 for a short time and was wondering if there is a place online you can go to check if your plate shows up for owing a toll before you get a notice in the mail. Thanks
madmoterman

Brampton, Canada

#6 Feb 4, 2014
klm wrote:
I just returned to the states after attending an event in Toronto. I was on the 407 for a short time and was wondering if there is a place online you can go to check if your plate shows up for owing a toll before you get a notice in the mail. Thanks
You should get bill in mail, most likely a phone call requiring credit card#. Friend got a call in FL.
Mike

Cambridge, Canada

#7 Apr 13, 2014
My plates were stolen after my car was wrote off. Someone ran up over 1000 bucks worth. I asked for proof (pictures of the plate) none were provided. I even have the police report and the insurance paper work. They can only chase you for a certisn amour if time no? Anyways I'll never ever pay it. My car is under someone else's name. Fuck you 407 crook bastards!!!
JC Kelly

Cobourg, Canada

#8 Nov 4, 2016
With all the stories about 407 ETR chasing people for money owed, why is no one ever bringing up the fact that the 407 does not pay it's own bills?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Economics News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trade panel says low-cost solar imports hurt US... 5 min RIP 3
BREAKING: Amazon Will Accept Bitcoin By October... 14 hr Bittox 1
News Mastermind Toys expanding across Canada despite... Wed We Be Toys man 1
Bitcoin The Millennial Retirement Nest Egg Sep 19 Bittox 1
Bitcoin Price is Headed to $25,000 Despite Rece... Sep 17 Bittox 1
News No pay raises for Arch bosses (Jul '16) Sep 1 Augie 10
News Newnan lawyer suspended for 6 months (Nov '14) Aug 25 kosher nostra 36
More from around the web