'Bourbon Women': Whiskey isn't just a...

'Bourbon Women': Whiskey isn't just a man's drink

There are 21 comments on the Public Opinion story from Apr 11, 2011, titled 'Bourbon Women': Whiskey isn't just a man's drink. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Marketing executive Peggy Noe Stevens sticks to basics when savoring Kentucky bourbon - no splash of water, just ice, stacked.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
team scott

Carlisle, PA

#1 Apr 11, 2011
you can't stop a women when she's out of control
The Gristle

Shippensburg, PA

#2 Apr 11, 2011
Alright girls, get that tat, put on your best wife beater, and a filthy ball cap, take a slug of JD and show that lazy Festus who's boss!!!
Mozilla

United States

#3 Apr 11, 2011
The Gristle wrote:
Alright girls, get that tat, put on your best wife beater, and a filthy ball cap, take a slug of JD and show that lazy Festus who's boss!!!
Just so you know....JD is from Tennessee, not Kentucky. Also, Jack doesn't call itself a bourbon.

Good try though :(
The Gristle

Shippensburg, PA

#4 Apr 11, 2011
WOW! Thanks for setting me straight on those two really important facts!!
Rock Hoover

Chambersburg, PA

#5 Apr 11, 2011
That would be awesome walking into a bar and seeing a stunning, beautiful women drinking a glass of bourbon, straight up on the rocks. I would be like, "wow, excuse me, ma'am." haha

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8 Apr 12, 2011
What a wonderful story! It's refreshing to see something like this in the PO, which often plays it a little too safe. Bourbon is a wonderful drink and there's no reason it should be marketed solely to men. In an age where more and more women are enjoying beer thanks to the craft beer movement and the availability of specialty - quality - styles, whiskey would certainly be a natural progression from there.

I have always enjoyed an old fashioned and if there's one thing I have at home, it's some sugar cubes and Angostura bitters - but quality bourbon can be enjoyed just fine on the rocks. My favorite regular brand is Bulleit for it's quality and value, and because I enjoy its rye flavor.

Only whiskey distilled in Kentucky can be legally called "bourbon," which would account for Stevens' tongue-in-cheek answer to her favorite bourbon.

Cooking with bourbon is also great - nothing adds zip to a barbecue sauce better than a shot of Kentucky straight!
Barry Sargento

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Apr 12, 2011
I concur with Effington. All this paper does is get people whining about taxes, teachers, the police, the Governor, etc.

I want more articles and investigations involving alcohol and more emphasis on just how enjoyable it is to relax with friends with a nice, cold cocktail after a successful (or rough) days work. If the PO would like to write articles about people getting completely plowed that would be cool as well.
master distiller

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Apr 12, 2011
Definition of bourbon
Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture consisting of at least 51% corn
Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 proof- 80% alcohol by volume
Neither coloring nor flavoring may be added
Bourbon must be aged in new,charred oak barrels
Bourbon must be entered into the barrel at no more than 125 proof
Bourbon which meets the above may be called a straight bourbon
Straight bourbon aged less than four years must be labeled with duration of its aging
If an age is stated on the label it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle
Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon

Since: Apr 11

Delhi, India

#11 Apr 12, 2011
The person who made whiskey, he never thought that whether men or the women would drink it.
Another One

Huntsville, AL

#12 Apr 12, 2011
alex_jones123 wrote:
The person who made whiskey, he never thought that whether men or the women would drink it.
Another name? The comment is still moronic like the others on the food forums. You trolls are too much.
Mozilla

United States

#13 Apr 13, 2011
master distiller wrote:
Definition of bourbon
Straight bourbon aged less than four years must be labeled with duration of its aging
If an age is stated on the label it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle
This is absolutely correct. Which means that bourbon can be produced in any of the 50 States.
Jack Danials chooses not to call themselves a bourbon.

There is very little quality difference between one bourbon or another. The qualifications to be called a bourbon set a very high standard for quality, to begin with. Age and proof are the biggest differences between one bourbon and another.

For Example---Did you know?: Eagle Rare, Benchmark, Old Charter, Buffalo Trace and George T Stagg are actually the same whiskey....just bottled at differet ages and proofs. That's how a distiller creates different profiles from one recipe.

Location hidden

#14 Apr 13, 2011
master distiller wrote:
Definition of bourbon
Interesting - it doesn't have to be produced in Kentucky to be called bourbon legally (although most is and it does have to be from the US). I thought it was sort of like how only sparkling wine produced in the Champagne region of France can be legally called "Champagne."

Either way, it's certainly an interesting topic.
Hayseed

Geigertown, PA

#15 Apr 13, 2011
Rock Hoover wrote:
That would be awesome walking into a bar and seeing a stunning, beautiful women drinking a glass of bourbon, straight up on the rocks. I would be like, "wow, excuse me, ma'am." haha
It's cute in the beginning, but eventually she's a giggling idiot/swearing/crying/flirty mess. Even later that night somebody's going to be holding her hair back while she prays to the porcelain god. When she comes to - she doesn't remember dancing on the bar or slapping the bouncer. She's crying to friends because she can't remember where/why she got the hip tattoo and nose ring. Stick to 420 and all you'll have to remember is where you left the nacho chips and twinkees.

Location hidden

#16 Apr 13, 2011
Hayseed wrote:
<quoted text>
It's cute in the beginning, but eventually she's a giggling idiot/swearing/crying/flirty mess. Even later that night somebody's going to be holding her hair back while she prays to the porcelain god. When she comes to - she doesn't remember dancing on the bar or slapping the bouncer. She's crying to friends because she can't remember where/why she got the hip tattoo and nose ring. Stick to 420 and all you'll have to remember is where you left the nacho chips and twinkees.
You know... some women do know how to drink in moderation... especially those who know how to enjoy bourbon.

Location hidden

#17 Apr 13, 2011
But that was still funny Hayseed...

I would just replace her drinking bourbon with vodka redbulls, smirnoff ice or rum and cokes.
Hayseed

Geigertown, PA

#18 Apr 13, 2011
Effington wrote:
But that was still funny Hayseed...
I would just replace her drinking bourbon with vodka redbulls, smirnoff ice or rum and cokes.
Come on, Eff... you know it's only "funny" after the first 10 times. After that, it's time for family intervention.
A female friend of mine is always sending me studies that promote moderate alcohol use as a healthy choice. She admittedly uses a bottle of wine to "take the edge off" and to sleep at night. It's true that most people know how to drink in moderation. But most people drink for the buzz. Unfortunantly for some, the buzz is not loud enough to make them stop before **** hits the fan.
Hayseed

Geigertown, PA

#19 Apr 13, 2011
What the ***.... I can't say
E
F
F

Come on Topix. It's the man's name.

Location hidden

#20 Apr 13, 2011
Hayseed wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on,****... you know it's only "funny" after the first 10 times. After that, it's time for family intervention.
A female friend of mine is always sending me studies that promote moderate alcohol use as a healthy choice. She admittedly uses a bottle of wine to "take the edge off" and to sleep at night. It's true that most people know how to drink in moderation. But most people drink for the buzz. Unfortunantly for some, the buzz is not loud enough to make them stop before **** hits the fan.
Studies show that moderate drinkers are healthier and live longer than non-drinkers. It's part of what is attributed to the Japanese having the longest lifespan.

Typically, I'll have a glass of wine or beer with dinner because I like the way it tastes. A lot of the food we eat has alcohol soluble flavors... and that's not for the buzz.

But it's important to point out that alcohol consumption can be part of a healthy lifestyle if consumed responsibly. There will always be people who consume irresponsibly no matter what we do, whether it's with alcohol or milkshakes.

Since: Jan 10

Littleton, CO

#21 Apr 13, 2011
But remember, only Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off!!!:-)
Hayseed

Geigertown, PA

#22 Apr 13, 2011
dpc373 wrote:
But remember, only Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off!!!:-)
"Lordy, I have loved some ladies
and I have loved Jim Beam
and they both tried to kill me
in 1973
when that doctor asked me
Son how did you get in this condition
I said hey sawbones I'm just carryin on
an old family tradition."

Everybody, now....

"So don't ask me Hank
why do you drink?
(Hank) why do you roll smoke?"

In a previous career, I used to transport a woman every other weekend who sang that Hank Williams, Jr. song in the backseat of my "company" car.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whiskey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rare Scotch whisky tops world record auction price (Oct '07) Feb '17 amdrive 209
How much is it worth??? (Jun '07) Dec '16 EAH6945 49
News Southern Tier Distilling Company Celebrates Gra... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Laszlow 1
Bond & Lillard 1967 (Sep '12) Nov '16 Mrusso70 15
News Back to bourbon making: Jim Beam workers OK con... (Oct '16) Oct '16 LookAtMe 4
corby's whiskey (Oct '09) Oct '16 Ryan 46
News Fairfield County's Only Distillery Gives New Me... (Oct '16) Oct '16 BPT 3
More from around the web