Sheriff who busted Popcorn Sutton tal...

Sheriff who busted Popcorn Sutton talks Newport distillery

There are 46 comments on the WBIR-TV Knoxville story from May 1, 2013, titled Sheriff who busted Popcorn Sutton talks Newport distillery. In it, WBIR-TV Knoxville reports that:

The coveted recipe of iconic East Tennessee moonshiner Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton will once again be cooked in Cocke County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR-TV Knoxville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
girl

United States

#43 Jul 13, 2013
I just want to say that there are people who have not broke the law. ones who still.don't like fontes. myself being one of them. i don't like him because he backed one of his officers up on handcuffing a kindergartener to a chair. and said he investgated what happened but closed the investigationn before it started. all he wants to do is mess with people who are harming no one but let the really bad ones go. way to go fontes. put yourself in the spotlight again.
john wrote:
<quoted text>never broke the law!!!!!! Id dout that theres nobody out there thats never broke a law at some point in life. And as far as popcorn goes he was just doing what all of our ancesters done and many people still do today throughout the mnts of tn nc and va. I say since you were born and raised here that would included some of your family as well if you want to know the truth ol boy!!!!! But your probly just a florida transplant!!!!!
just my view

Easley, SC

#44 Jul 13, 2013
Popcorn did his patrons a favor by providing his "Shine" at a reasonable rate. He then did our court and prison system a financial favor by taking his own life. Both bad decisions on his part, but it was his decisions to make. Let him rest in peace.
pot pills shine chop shop

Knoxville, TN

#45 Jul 16, 2013
just my view wrote:
Popcorn did his patrons a favor by providing his "Shine" at a reasonable rate. He then did our court and prison system a financial favor by taking his own life. Both bad decisions on his part, but it was his decisions to make. Let him rest in peace.
Amen Brother.
Machine

United States

#46 Nov 1, 2015
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is YOU have attacked me more than once for stating MY opinion. Called me names. Put me down. Funny how that opinion thing only works when you want it to. My point is if I hated somebody as much as you hate armando I certainly wouldn't be reading his articles in the paper. Other than the headline on the news story I don't know what it says. And I have never seen the 'from the desk' that you and your buddy are complaining about all the time. If you don't like him then what is the point in reading the article and then running straight to topix to complain about what it says? It just doesn't make sense to me.
And you are right. This is topix. It is a public forum. You post all over it. And you should know by now it is not a site where one person gives their opinion and then another simply gives theirs. That's funny.
Does anyone have any real dirt on the man?
Popcorn and History

United States

#47 Nov 2, 2015
Before everyone starts rewriting history, let's look at facts. A documentary titled THE LAST RUN, was aired on national TV. The film recorded factual details of Popcorn and a few of his close friends making moonshine from start to finish. It also described the history of the people, their music, community, and much more. It was aired several times with high ratings.
Shortly after the nation saw this wonderful show of Appalachian Mountains and it's people, Popcorn was busted Federal Agents. While I have NO evidence, I assume the jealous agents had a witch hunt to revenge Popcorn. Now, others are trying enter their names in the history books by false claims.
History will never forget Popcorn, while others involved in his bust have already been forgotten. The ATF agent who busted Popcron was also on a nationally shown documentary. Does anyone remember his name?
I have never had a drop of moonshine, but I learned some history from a Federal Court reporter who worked during Prohibition. No Federal Agents were ever assaulted in Cocke County and several arrested were young pregnant women, who were busted by anonymous tips. The women would be pouring a small amount of moonhsine down the drain when agents came in. Their child would be born in hospital while they served a short time in the Federal Women's Prison.
History should be written factually and not what is popular.
Machine

Knoxville, TN

#48 Jan 22, 2016
GET OVER IT.....Popcorn is gone, Armondo is still around !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whiskey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
corby's whiskey (Oct '09) Jun '16 Mnguy 44
Bond & Lillard 1967 (Sep '12) May '16 Deby 14
News Alastair Blanda s Through the Hopvine: Distille... May '16 LUCY JANE 1
News Iowa distilleries fight for even playing field Apr '16 Elise Gingerich 1
News Rare Scotch whisky tops world record auction price (Oct '07) Mar '16 wildisthewind 208
News Downtown distillery owners eyeing opening in mi... Mar '16 ron ward 21
News Canadian whisky emerging as serious contender s... (Jan '16) Jan '16 James 1
More from around the web