Sheriff who busted Popcorn Sutton talks Newport distillery

May 1, 2013 Full story: WBIR-TV Knoxville 43

The coveted recipe of iconic East Tennessee moonshiner Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton will once again be cooked in Cocke County.

Full Story
Truth

Knoxville, TN

#21 May 9, 2013
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>"Truth" is a law enforcement groupie. If you say anything about the sheriffs department the claws come out.
You are an idiot. And thank you for proving my point. You can only give your opinion if you are here to attack the sheriff department.
I am not even going to bother with responding to your ignorance.
Truth

Knoxville, TN

#22 May 9, 2013
GIMME A BREAK wrote:
<quoted text>Definitely taking it too personally for some reason!! Groupie, yep that's a good one!!!
Hmmm. Where is that 'everyone has a right to their own opinion' attitude now? Only works for you huh. I am not taking anything personally. Simply stated a fact and YOU can't handle it.
Truth

Knoxville, TN

#23 May 9, 2013
shameshame wrote:
After Fontes or the feds or who ever busted him your not a hero you caused the man to take his life because he was afraid of going to prison, because he always lived a free life in the mountians and he couldnt bare the thought of being caged up.... BUT now the goverment is profiting from his death selling his moonshine...it's so HIPACRITICAL.. he was arrested for it and now its legal if you buy it from the goverment it sickens me to see this go one....R.I.P Popcorn Sutton.... And for the moron sheriff and his great officers should be out here stoping this da* pill epidemic, how many more lives is gonna be lost to them.... If he worried as much about being a good sheriff as he does being in the media this town would be drug free....
The feds are who busted him. And "they" did not cause him to take his life. That was a personally decision he made all on his own. If you can't do the time then don't do the crime.

As for stopping the pills...what do you expect them to do? They bust people all the time. Just busted around 30. The judge will turn them lose. And as long as their are pillhead junkies the law can't do a lot about it. Everyone wants to blame somebody else. Nobody wants to take responsibility.
Truth

Knoxville, TN

#24 May 9, 2013
GIMME A BREAK wrote:
<quoted text>Don't think he shot himself, believe it was carbon monoxide poisoning, not positive, but I think that was it.
You would be wrong. He shot himself.
GIMME A BREAK

Jefferson City, TN

#25 May 9, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be wrong. He shot himself.
No, check it sweetie, it was carbon monoxide, he did not shoot himself, check it if you don't believe it. I am stating a fact this time not just my opinion. Just check your facts and I will be waiting on your apology, just kidding on that, dang, quit taking things to heart. I know I am right on this one. Not here to argue, it is a forum. Thanks for your input. Can't we just all agree to disagree?!! BTW. Thanks for following my posts and paying attention:)
eyes wide open

Duluth, GA

#26 May 10, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is YOU have attacked me more than once for stating MY opinion. Called me names. Put me down. Funny how that opinion thing only works when you want it to. My point is if I hated somebody as much as you hate armando I certainly wouldn't be reading his articles in the paper. Other than the headline on the news story I don't know what it says. And I have never seen the 'from the desk' that you and your buddy are complaining about all the time. If you don't like him then what is the point in reading the article and then running straight to topix to complain about what it says? It just doesn't make sense to me.
And you are right. This is topix. It is a public forum. You post all over it. And you should know by now it is not a site where one person gives their opinion and then another simply gives theirs. That's funny.
His crime report or from the desk appears monthly I have gone back over my posts and can't find one where I called you names and why would I want to call someone who I don't even know names? the fact is you don't know me either so why can't we just have intellectual discussions? you can respond to this anyway you want I'm just not going to bother with it anymore. it's just not worth my time or effort
who cared

Lumberton, NC

#27 May 11, 2013
Armondo is a piece of crap he is the one who told on popcorn I know that to be a fact I hope shults gets next shirff he will help cocke country instead of taken money off poor people
the truth

Knoxville, TN

#28 May 11, 2013
who cared wrote:
Armondo is a piece of crap he is the one who told on popcorn I know that to be a fact I hope shults gets next shirff he will help cocke country instead of taken money off poor people
I'm glad popcorn was caught, stupid people don't want crooks arrested, and that's what he was a crook.
plain talk

United States

#29 May 12, 2013
What about the heads pulling a family member out of jail to play carpenter when they haven't worked a total of 5 honest minutes in their life? What is that all about? Check out the paper.
Fred

United States

#31 May 12, 2013
Good job sheriff, get out there and bust the rest of these criminal lawbreakers and put them away the people are fed up with them.
the truth

Knoxville, TN

#32 May 13, 2013
Fred wrote:
Good job sheriff, get out there and bust the rest of these criminal lawbreakers and put them away the people are fed up with them.
Yeah, I agree, keep arresting the crooks in Cocke County. Let the complainers keep complaining!!!!!
the truth

Knoxville, TN

#34 May 16, 2013
eyes wide open wrote:
<quoted text> When is it all going to end. The good sheriff is now a carpenter The irony is not lost. He is also a vocational school woodworking shop teacher. Volunteer. The best goody two shoes to come down the pike in a long time. I've cancelled my subscription to the paper. I was accused of only reading his articles and bad mouthing him but I have found whatever article I read somehow he pops up just like a jack in the box even quoted as chuckling when he utters a statement. enough is enough it is sickening and nauseating.
Move out of Newport then,,,go somewhere else and gripe!!!!
GIMME A BREAK

Jefferson City, TN

#35 May 16, 2013
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>Move out of Newport then,,,go somewhere else and gripe!!!!
No "Disciple" you probably are not even from here, moved in and one of R.B.'s and Fontes followers, can you truly tell me you were born and raised here? Just somebody that wished you were that lucky to be someone that was born and raised here. Just a wannabe and will NEVER fit in...!!!
Those two are wannabes also, Fontes and Robert Brannon
did ya know

United States

#36 May 16, 2013
GIMME A BREAK wrote:
<quoted text>No "Disciple" you probably are not even from here, moved in and one of R.B.'s and Fontes followers, can you truly tell me you were born and raised here? Just somebody that wished you were that lucky to be someone that was born and raised here. Just a wannabe and will NEVER fit in...!!!
Robert Brannon has a face lift? Like a woman? Two face lifts and he needs his money back on both of them. Terrible surgeries and failures. Not all. He's had his chest enhanced so it looks like muscles and he's had a BUTT LIFT . Like a woman. Morals of a serpent. Too many young girls cast out of his big mansion when he tires of them . And he's ruined the Newport Animal Shelter. He thinks he runs the Shelter when he's really ruined it. Brannon , Fontez, Hurst they're all in bucket together.
the truth

Knoxville, TN

#37 May 16, 2013
GIMME A BREAK wrote:
<quoted text>No "Disciple" you probably are not even from here, moved in and one of R.B.'s and Fontes followers, can you truly tell me you were born and raised here? Just somebody that wished you were that lucky to be someone that was born and raised here. Just a wannabe and will NEVER fit in...!!!
Nope, I was born and raised here, And with good christian morals. Sorry, you're wrong again! I've probably been around a lot longer than you too. Never broke the law so I don't have to worry about Armondo. Evidently you do, you dislike him so much.
eyes wide open

Duluth, GA

#38 May 19, 2013
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>Move out of Newport then,,,go somewhere else and gripe!!!!
sorry to disappoint you but I have no inclination to move out of Newport and if I want to gripe I will gripe. it is my right just like it is your right and everyone else. So if you don't like it don't read my posts.
horsefly

Kew Gardens, NY

#39 May 30, 2013
I wont me some white lighting
s johnson

Tucson, AZ

#40 Jul 7, 2013
The "good" sheriff who busted Popcorn Sutton can hide behind the law saying he was doing what was "right" but any way you look at it the only reason moonshine is illegal is because the government is not getting their share of the profits, the worthless thugs and the sheriff is a worthless SOB.
john

United States

#41 Jul 9, 2013
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, I was born and raised here, And with good christian morals. Sorry, you're wrong again! I've probably been around a lot longer than you too. Never broke the law so I don't have to worry about Armondo. Evidently you do, you dislike him so much.
never broke the law!!!!!! Id dout that theres nobody out there thats never broke a law at some point in life. And as far as popcorn goes he was just doing what all of our ancesters done and many people still do today throughout the mnts of tn nc and va. I say since you were born and raised here that would included some of your family as well if you want to know the truth ol boy!!!!! But your probly just a florida transplant!!!!!
JoMac

Morristown, TN

#42 Jul 9, 2013
popcorn was an idiot, he had a good product but was too damn dumb to produce it the legal way or maybe he was too damn greedy to want to pay taxes and business fees. He basically ruined a good thing for himself (not other) by not paying taxes. Like my jewish lawyer @ www.TaxHelp.net.tc always says "Why ruin a good thing over a few dollars for taxes?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whiskey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sapporo Thu SHlTWORMTAMIKDEBD... 5
Arkansas vote would open up liquor sales Nov 11 Bubba Dump 2
Suck It, Scotland: World's Best Whiskey Is From... Nov 5 Lawrence Wolf 13
Rare Scotch whisky tops world record auction price (Oct '07) Oct 28 wchurst 202
Liquor tax opponents splash bourbon on statehou... (Mar '09) Oct 26 lol 16
Aberlour Single Malt Whisky is available in Mal... Sep '14 fallen 1
Scottish space whisky set to land on earth Sep '14 SpaceBlues 1

Whiskey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE