Herbal Supplements Improve Infant Colic

Herbal Supplements Improve Infant Colic

There are 1 comment on the FYI Living story from May 19, 2011, titled Herbal Supplements Improve Infant Colic. In it, FYI Living reports that:

Summary The objective of this study was to critically evaluate all clinical trials of nutritional supplements and other complementary and alternative medicines in order to gain treatment options for infantile colic.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at FYI Living.

Dr Paul Blake N D

Bangkok, Thailand

#1 Jun 2, 2011
One simple remedy for the majority of colic suffering babies and one of the most common causes has been known for years. This particular cause is the intestinal flora in the babies gut is out of balance causing poor digestion and gas pain. The remedy is simple probiotics (see study below) that you can find at any health food store, I have seen it work almost immediately. Buy only refrigerated probiotics for freshness as they tend to be of the better quality.
Poor Intestinal Flora Symptoms: irritability, bloating, abdominal pain, foul smelling bowel movements, constipation/diarrhea, food sensitivities, rectal itching, spitting-up, poor immunity
Colic Symptoms: crying suddenly after a feeding, crying is loud and continuous for one to four hours, baby's face often is flushed or red, hands clenched, belly is distended or prominent, the feet are often cold, baby may arch their backs, draw up their legs to their tummy, extend their legs rigidly, pass wind.
A 2010 scientific study published in the Journal of Pediatrics reports the effectiveness of a probiotic treatment for colic. The authors report states that the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri significantly reduced crying time among infants with colic, compared to placebo. The subjects included 50 exclusively breast-fed infants, that were administered either L. reuteri or a placebo.
Savino F, Cordisco L, Tarasco V, et al. Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938 in infantile colic: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Pediatrics. 2010;126(3):e526-e533.
Doc Blake

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lobbyist Money + Right-Wing Extremists = Tea Party (Apr '09) Mar 15 BLTillerson 27
Monglea tea-lost Cajun tea (Feb '11) Jan '18 Jakkiaf 10
News MEDWATCH: This dieters' drink may not be your c... (Mar '07) Jan '18 shearwiz 155
News What is the Best Brand of Green Tea? (Apr '07) Jan '18 leandres 84
Made a simple guide to help friends that are ne... Nov '17 what I do 2
News Yerba Mate (Jan '13) Oct '17 mahalotea 4
News Variety is the spice for younger tea drinkers (Aug '17) Oct '17 mahalotea 2