Monglea tea-lost Cajun tea

Monglea tea-lost Cajun tea

Posted in the Tea Forum

Katie

Lafayette, LA

#1 Feb 9, 2011
My great grandmother used to make a Monglea tea. She used it when you would have a fever. You would sweat so much when you drank this tea. Is anyone familiar with this tea? She said it was an energy booster and you would sweat out impurities. I would like to know the actual name for this plant.
Gloria

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Apr 11, 2011
Katie wrote:
My great grandmother used to make a Monglea tea. She used it when you would have a fever. You would sweat so much when you drank this tea. Is anyone familiar with this tea? She said it was an energy booster and you would sweat out impurities. I would like to know the actual name for this plant.
Katie - I live on Long Island in New York. One Summer I had a group of Zydeco musicians from Lafayette staying with us. One of them became very excited because he said we had the "Monglea Tea" growing here on our property. We had never heard of it until that moment... I will take a specimen of it to the local co-operative extension and have them identify it... I have always wondered about it myself since then. Thanks!

Gloria
Theron

Houston, TX

#3 Feb 25, 2013
Im from new iberia,la...but live in houston..i forgot what it looks like.does anyone have a photo of the plant.
Sheila

United States

#4 Dec 11, 2013
my dad has a bush and i swear by it. peope come from all over to get some branches. i can even identify it now. i was sick and drank two cups and felt bette and yes, it does make you sweat!!!! it has medicinal qualities
Edward

Lafayette, LA

#5 Dec 20, 2013
I'm from Lafayette and we have all sorts of ways to spell it, but I found this in the Vermilion Ville. Hope they don't mind me sharing. It's called Baccharis helimifolia. Look this up and you can find pix and info like this:

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Baccharis_halimifolia...

Widely used common names include Eastern Baccharis, Groundsel Bush, Sea Myrtle, and Saltbush, with Consumption Weed, Cotton-seed Tree, Groundsel Tree, Menguilié, and Silverling also used more locally. In most of its range, where no other species of the genus occur, this plant is often simply called Baccharis.

Menguilie is how this article spells the local name. From this page, click on images and there's some great ones.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.
Edward
m7mercy4

United States

#6 Sep 19, 2014
Gloria wrote:
<quoted text>
Katie - I live on Long Island in New York. One Summer I had a group of Zydeco musicians from Lafayette staying with us. One of them became very excited because he said we had the "Monglea Tea" growing here on our property. We had never heard of it until that moment... I will take a specimen of it to the local co-operative extension and have them identify it... I have always wondered about it myself since then. Thanks!
Gloria
Gloria
I bet that was my cousin Cloud...and his Zydeco band from Lafayette
B Dazzle

Saint Martinville, LA

#7 Dec 10, 2015
B Dazzle

Saint Martinville, LA

#8 Dec 10, 2015
Baccharis Halimifolia
quintessa

Iowa, LA

#10 Wednesday Jul 26
message me if you want some fresh leaves. i sell them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 5 Best Benefits Of Green Tea (Aug '14) Aug 17 Imperialteagarden 4
News Lobbyist Money + Right-Wing Extremists = Tea Party (Apr '09) Aug 1 Ordo Seclorum 26
Coca tea for Energy and Vitamins (Apr '06) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 16
News Ralliers brave rain, cold to protest gov't spen... (Apr '09) Apr '17 Martin garey 19
Acid Reflux from tea (Oct '06) Jan '17 choffman 50
News Move over matcha, here are the top foods that'l... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Marcavage s Emission 3
News MEDWATCH: This dieters' drink may not be your c... (Mar '07) Nov '16 Ashley 154
More from around the web