What are your favourite single malts?

What are your favourite single malts?

Posted in the Scotch Forum

Since: Mar 09

Sydney, Australia

#1 Apr 4, 2009
Hi everyone. I've only just started getting into single malt whiskies myself. I've had the Cragganmore 12yrs, Talisker 12yrs, Glen Moray classic (as an inexpensive single malt for a birthday gift for my dad-to supplement a good cognac I bought him also) and the Macallan 10yrs fine oak.

The Cragganmore 12yrs was my first whisky. I enjoyed it and I'll buy it again.

Next was the Talisker 12yrs. It was the first time I had tried a peat/smoke whisky. Initially, I was unsure of it, and by about halfway through the bottle, I absolutely loved it!

The Glen Moray I would describe as "okay" only. Nothing great, rather bland and boring. But a smooth whisky that doesn't give you alcohol burn like cheaper blends.

I made an error with the Macallan 10yrs. I meant to get the Macallan 12yrs, but accidentally go the Macallan 10yrs "Fine Oak". I don't think it's possible anymore to get the original 12yrs as Macallan has updated their product range to the "Fine Oak" series. And from what I have read, the new "Fine Oak" range is not as good as the recently defunct range. This is because the new range is matured in both bourbon and sherry casks, whilst the old range was matured exclusively in sherry casks only.

I would describe the Macallan 10yrs Fine Oak as "okay" again. Nice enough, but I won't be buying it or the 12yrs either, unless I can find the original Macallan 12yrs.

As I said, I liked the Cragganmore 12yrs, and loved the Talisker `12yrs. I have recently bought Highland Park 12yrs, Glenfiddich 15yrs Solera Reserve and Lagavulin 16yrs. I plan to also buy the Balvenie Double Wood, Aberlour A'Bunadh (which I will crack open to celebrate my wedding anniversary) and Glenmorangie Nectar D'or.

If I contine to like the stronger peat/smoke whiskies, I will buy Ardbeg 10yrs, Laphroaig Quarter Cask or 15yrs and Bowmore 18yrs. I would also like to buy Glenfiddich 18yrs Ancient Reserve and some others, like Oban 14yrs, Knockando etc.

So, what are your favourite single malt whiskies?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scotch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Add Analog Watch Co. eco-friendly watches to yo... (Dec '14) Oct '15 Divid 2
News How this Japanese whisky became the world's best (Dec '14) Dec '14 Switches 48
Macallan Fine Oak 21 Year FOR SALE (May '13) Jun '13 Terry 3
Macallan Fine Oak 21 Year Scotch FOR SALE (May '13) May '13 naterizzle 1
News N. J. bars caught passing off dirty water, rubb... (May '13) May '13 Tipsy 2
News 6K gallons of Scotch accidentally flushed down ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Utica34 1
News 6K gallons of scotch accidentally flushed down ... (Feb '13) Mar '13 reality 4
More from around the web