Stock your bar for a cost-effective p...

Stock your bar for a cost-effective party

There are 15 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 12, 2008, titled Stock your bar for a cost-effective party. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It wouldn't be the holidays without holiday parties. But with pocketbooks tightening and year-end bonuses becoming relics of the past, who wants to spend hundreds of dollars stocking their bar with brand-name ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Rob

Skokie, IL

#1 Dec 13, 2008
Just do what we used to do in college. Buy a bottle of the really good stuff at first then refill it with the cheapest crap you can buy after that. No one will know the difference.

Also I heard running cheap booze through a Brita makes it better. Haven't tried it yet, but it can't hurt.
Pointed Head

AOL

#2 Dec 13, 2008
Depending on the number of people you'll be hosting, start with decent brands and then bring out the 'speed rail' stuff after folks have already had a few. Depending on the mixes you're using, there's no need to go up-market if you're going to be pouring blood-mary's with Tobasco sauce in 'em. Gin and tonic with a wedge of lime or lemon also allows for some... margin on your choice of gins. Where I wouldn't skimp is on the Scotch Whiskey and/or Cognac.
Be sure to inlcude a decent white and red wine in your offerings. Either a Vouvray or a Sancere will suffice for the whites and a smooth Merlot or Burgundy will take care of the reds.
Don't forget condiments - stuffed olives, onions, celery, etc.
Cheers.
jcksn

Brigham City, UT

#3 Dec 14, 2008
maple sour mix (recipe below)? homemade Maraschino cherry (recipe below).
Scuze Me For Sayn So

AOL

#4 Dec 15, 2008
Most Americans who are throwing parties are throwing 'rent parties' and America's become a BYOB {bring your own booze} culture.
2008 has been like 1929, but, 2009 promises to be like 1933.
There's no margin left - we've been squeezed by NAFTA, trickle-down {more like a massive golden shower}, WMD's {in the form of Bush and Cheney}, etc, etc. I'll be damned if I'm sharing my booze... with anyone - next year {when we return to a barter economy} that booze will be the new money in the bank.
Fred

Springfield, IL

#6 Dec 15, 2008
Scuze Me For Sayn So wrote:
Most Americans who are throwing parties are throwing 'rent parties' and America's become a BYOB {bring your own booze} culture.
2008 has been like 1929, but, 2009 promises to be like 1933.
There's no margin left - we've been squeezed by NAFTA, trickle-down {more like a massive golden shower}, WMD's {in the form of Bush and Cheney}, etc, etc. I'll be damned if I'm sharing my booze... with anyone - next year {when we return to a barter economy} that booze will be the new money in the bank.
Put the tinfoil hat back on ASAP.
Geeves00

Long Island City, NY

#7 Dec 15, 2008
What's next, tell people to pick up some Corona for the beer drinkers? This list is full of garbage

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#8 Dec 15, 2008
Since all these smoking bans, home parties are really popular. Unfortunatly, the kids are gagging on all the smoke.
Greg

Willowbrook, IL

#9 Dec 15, 2008
I would add to the list of single malt scotches 12 year old Dalmore. I enjoy all the fancy Belgian and Czech beers but I always return to an ice cold Budweiser at $3.50 a six pack.

Thanks for the Evan Williams tip. I might give it a "shot".

Since: Oct 07

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 15, 2008
Do what my friend has done - ask your guests to bring the big bottle of the liquors you don't have. That way you dont have to purchase it and you will still have enough left over to drink yourself before the next party.
Mike

Katy, TX

#11 Dec 15, 2008
Millilitre or milliliter.
Rob

Skokie, IL

#12 Dec 15, 2008
Richard S wrote:
Do what my friend has done - ask your guests to bring the big bottle of the liquors you don't have. That way you dont have to purchase it and you will still have enough left over to drink yourself before the next party.
Did that one too - thanks for reminding me. Except we would say that we're having a party for, say, a dozen and a half to two dozen people. Invariably everyone would bring a 6-pack, usually a 12 or even a case of beer. Of course almost no one drank that much and no one wanted to look cheap by taking home 2 bottles out of a six pack or whatever, so we got to keep all the leftovers!
Farm Boy

Mount Ulla, NC

#13 Dec 16, 2008
Please tell me where I can get that $3.50 six of the King of Beers. Even here in So.Ill it's 5 bucks. Yall got some of that price deflation goin on up there?
kwami fufufu

Chicago, IL

#14 Dec 16, 2008
Yeah, buy all the cheap stuff for those cheap hangovers that last and last. Losers!
Greg

Willowbrook, IL

#15 Dec 16, 2008
Farm Boy wrote:
Please tell me where I can get that $3.50 six of the King of Beers. Even here in So.Ill it's 5 bucks. Yall got some of that price deflation goin on up there?
Hello Farm boy. Check out your local Jewel. Enjoy a cold one watching the snow falling.
Long Island John

New York, NY

#16 Dec 18, 2008
I usually have a open house the Sunday before Christmas for close to 150 people. This is the first year ( we've had 15) we asked for bring a dish and of course what you are drinking. I put out beer and the staples of liquor like scotch, vodka, rye, and gin. Along with mixers that I get 10 for 10 @ Stop & Shop I'm good. Also we put out shrimp and Hot Dogs with all the fixins and the rest is taken care of by the guests. By the way...we have a great time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scotch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Add Analog Watch Co. eco-friendly watches to yo... (Dec '14) Oct '15 Divid 2
News How this Japanese whisky became the world's best (Dec '14) Dec '14 Switches 48
Macallan Fine Oak 21 Year FOR SALE (May '13) Jun '13 Terry 3
Macallan Fine Oak 21 Year Scotch FOR SALE (May '13) May '13 naterizzle 1
News N. J. bars caught passing off dirty water, rubb... (May '13) May '13 Tipsy 2
News 6K gallons of Scotch accidentally flushed down ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Utica34 1
News 6K gallons of scotch accidentally flushed down ... (Feb '13) Mar '13 reality 4
More from around the web