Say cheese: Asheville offers vast, exotic selection

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

A whole new world of cheese has come to Asheville, and the names in this lineup have way more vowels, syllables and punctuation than all the text on a box of Kraft mac and cheese.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Dec 24, 2009
Becket

Greer, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

Judged:

Cheese is the greatest of all foods. Unfortunately, neither Ference nor Big Cheese in Asheville hold a candle to a quality cheese shop. I have visited Big Cheese on many occasions and saw mold growing on the cheese and filth on the floor. Ference prices are high. Shop EarthFare or others and get same cheese, same quality.
Greene

Davidson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

Judged:

Mold on cheese is normal for high quality cheese! In fact that's how you get cheese! When a cheese wheel is being readied for market, they trim the layer of mold off, and coat it with wax to keep the mold from growing back.
As far as filth, I've never been in Big Cheese, but I have Bill's place since 1972. He used to be downtown, but things got so bad there he moved to the north. I have always gotten fresh cheese there, and have never had a problem. I wish that they would get a website, but Bill is to stingy to!
OklahomaNative

Casar, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

I have found the best selection of artisanal cheeses in town at Greenlife. They even have had some really wonderful cheeses we had formerly only found at Dean & Deluca. Warning to those out there that don't know what they heck artisinal cheeses are: they are FABULOUS and addictive! Try an artisinal cheese course at a really fine restaurant sometime. We were celebrating an anniversary at the Old Hickory Steakhouse restaurant at the Gaylord Palms, and chose a cheese plate for an appetizer course, and we were smitten!(or BITTEN by the fine cheese bug!)YUM!!!
candace ray

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2009

Judged:

Becket wrote:
Cheese is the greatest of all foods. Unfortunately, neither Ference nor Big Cheese in Asheville hold a candle to a quality cheese shop. I have visited Big Cheese on many occasions and saw mold growing on the cheese and filth on the floor. Ference prices are high. Shop EarthFare or others and get same cheese, same quality.
I agree cheese is the greatest of all foods, however if you know anything about cheese you would know mold sometimes happens and is a natural part of cheese maturization. We (The Big Cheese) have over 200 varieties of cheese and have been in business in Asheville, NC for almost 25 years. As far as filth on the floor, our store is cleaned daily and we sell to many locally owned restaurants in town. P.S: Learn how to spell Pference! Thank You!
Becket

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

Dear Candace,
I just noticed your comment on my comment. Yes, dear, I know that there is mold that grows on cheese. I dare say that I know more about cheese than you. I mean honestly, I've seen you in there many times and I really don't think that your cheese knowledge is too indepth. In fact, it's quite a joke. The mold I'm talking about is the nasty kind that must sort of makes one srunch up their face and say, "ewwwww!" Your cheese selection is pretty basic, cookie cutter in this organic and very artisan society. Not to dog the Big Cheese, but get real, and clean up that place. That's not a cheese shop, nor is Ference. The Big Cheese is a lacks any sort of authenticity. Oh...and are you saying that I'm supposed to spell Ference with a P? I'm an educated person and I'm particularly educated about Ference, so please enlighten me with your particular spelling of Ference. Have a nice day.
Becket

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

Has anyone ever heard of taking care of the cheese they sell and not letting it sit until it gets moldy? I mean really, visit the top shops in the nation and you'll find that quality shops take care of their investment. Yes, I know that cheese is nothing more than nasty milk and mold, but it doesn't have to look that way. DO NOT SHOP Big Cheese or Ference. Both are disgusting. Their employees are disgusting and uneducated about their products.
candace

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

Becket wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of taking care of the cheese they sell and not letting it sit until it gets moldy? I mean really, visit the top shops in the nation and you'll find that quality shops take care of their investment. Yes, I know that cheese is nothing more than nasty milk and mold, but it doesn't have to look that way. DO NOT SHOP Big Cheese or Ference. Both are disgusting. Their employees are disgusting and uneducated about their products.
Honey let me tell you that I DO know about cheese and let me remind you that we have been in business for 25 YEARS! Everyone that works in our 4 stores knows about the 200 (did I say 200?, yes I did!) kinds of cheese we carry. I think you need to do a little research of your own because you know nothing and we have a fabulous reputation. Just read the New York Time's article on us if you really want to be educated...
Ben

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2009

Judged:

Is Becket a competitor? or just a kid? Kid of a competitor? S/he's certainly rude and childish, not to mention sounding as though he's covering up for lack of knowledge about cheese! I hereby award you Honorary Cheez Whizard status! Now take your prize and go away. Leave the computer to the adults.

Anyway, my $0.02: I visited the Big Cheese last fall ('08) and was delighted by the selection and presentation. I found the store clean and attractive, the shopkeeper friendly and helpful. And, yes, I believe I saw some mold on some cheeses. Fancy that! And the reason I found my way to this blog is that I wanted to contact the store to inquire about the particular aged goat cheese I sampled (a wedge of which I also took away with me). It was fantastic and I want to see about ordering some.

Cheers.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2009

Judged:

How does a cheese fight end up on topix? Spain that.
A Happy Customer

Richland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2009

Judged:

I was at The Big Cheese a month ago and was very impressed. I have been buying domestic and imported cheeses and meats for 40 years and this store compares very favorably with other stores (outside of NC), not only in quality but in price. In fact, I came upon this web site to look into mail-order.

It is extremely odd that a reviewer on this site keeps coming back to post negative reviews. If I didn't like a store, I might leave a comment, but I wouldn't come back.

To any others, try this place out.
AVL

Candler, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2009

I love the Big Cheese because they have the best deal on flats of local free range eggs!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••