Old Liquor - Safe?
dj gleaf

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Aug 8, 2011
it may have been said but it doesn't matter if its been opened or not, no matter how old it is, it will be safe to drink, the only concern is to people who really....really know what it should taste like, the only problem most people will notice is that the taste may be a bit "off" to their standards. if which case you can by another bottle or run it through a Vodkastick or a brita filter a couple of times.

bottom line: its safe but may taste a little "off"
old lickher drinker

Deerfield Beach, FL

#23 Aug 31, 2011
Just finished off a Bottle of Canadien Club that was in his Mothers Bar table ffor 30 + years. Smoothest whisky I EVER drank ...MMMMM
mozilla

Austin, TX

#24 Sep 2, 2011
dj gleaf wrote:
it may have been said but it doesn't matter if its been opened or not, no matter how old it is, it will be safe to drink, the only concern is to people who really....really know what it should taste like, the only problem most people will notice is that the taste may be a bit "off" to their standards. if which case you can by another bottle or run it through a Vodkastick or a brita filter a couple of times.
bottom line: its safe but may taste a little "off"
Do Not drink any ones with cream in them. They do not last very long.
Also, don't filter a whiskey. It will lose alot of color and most of it's flavor.
Zimms1948

Streamwood, IL

#25 Sep 2, 2011
Mozilla wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying it was distilled in 1938?
Are you asking if its worth any money, or, if its worth drinking?
Worth any money and/or worth drinking!
mozilla

Austin, TX

#26 Sep 4, 2011
If you like cognac...it would be fine to drink.
Money? If you searched for the right person, assuming it was actually distilled or bottled around 1938....you might get $100-200 for it??? It really all depends on many more factors than you have ability to show us. Like condition of the bottle, label, contents...and so on.
mystic4377

London, UK

#27 Sep 24, 2011
i have a bottle of benedictine tht is 25yes old., never opened. whn held up to the light u can see stuff floating around in the fluid. is it safe to open and drink ths?
mozilla

Pflugerville, TX

#28 Sep 25, 2011
Try shaking it up...to see if the items re-desolve. It's probably sugar that has clumped together.
Should be fine.
Zimms1948

Wheaton, IL

#29 Sep 26, 2011
mozilla wrote:
If you like cognac...it would be fine to drink.
Money? If you searched for the right person, assuming it was actually distilled or bottled around 1938....you might get $100-200 for it??? It really all depends on many more factors than you have ability to show us. Like condition of the bottle, label, contents...and so on.
Where would I find such a person?
mozilla

Pflugerville, TX

#30 Sep 27, 2011
That's the $200 question, isn't it.

Try an auction site.
Gordon Hall

Encinitas, CA

#31 Dec 14, 2011
I have benedictine from the 1950s, found in my dad's closet. it's never been opened, can i drink safely?
mozilla

Austin, TX

#32 Dec 15, 2011
Try reading this threads previous posts.
Amber

West Palm Beach, FL

#33 Feb 17, 2012
My husband had a shot of tequila with the worm in it from 1971 the other night...he also was drinking beer and wine. Now we are quite the partiers and I've seen him wasted but that night he got so sick I thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital! He was completely incoherent and the noises his stomach was making had me sick to mine!! lol I'm currently pregnant so I did not try the liquor myself (thank god) but I was wondering if maybe it could have been the liquor that has no given him a horrible 2 day fummy ache?! But according to ur responses I'm Guuessing he just played one too many games of beer pong and flp cup lol hangovers can really be a bitch
jdmrocker

United States

#35 Apr 14, 2012
i found a bottle a amaretto bottled in 1950, safe?
avinjoshi

Khargone, India

#36 Apr 25, 2012
I have purchased:
* THREE Bottle AMRUT Rum in August 1984
* Johny Walker Scotch from duty free shop, Mumbai Airport in 1985.
They are still with me.
They are available on 'AUCTION'
Any body can bid for the same.
Highest value received would be entitled for the bottle (individual), to be collected from my place against cash payment.
TIME LIMIT: Until, I don't get the proper value.
Demecarolyn

Dorval, Canada

#37 Aug 8, 2012
Hey, this is a good chat team and funny comments. I found an old bottle of elixir Danvers from back in the 70's and I am fine today.....
Demecarolyn

Dorval, Canada

#38 Aug 8, 2012
Found a lot of old bottle of booze from a basement bar fro. The 60s..... Not much more left but I am fine ...
Demecarolyn

Dorval, Canada

#39 Aug 8, 2012
OK, not sure if my posts are going through, but I did not drink the baileys...
Demecarolyn

Dorval, Canada

#40 Aug 8, 2012
jdmrocker wrote:
i found a bottle a amaretto bottled in 1950, safe?
If it was not opened, I would use it in coffee..
Big Bill

Kansas City, MO

#42 Jan 5, 2013
I drank a half bottle of gin from 1965. I was a little drunk and noticed no difference in taste. Gin and O.J. mmmmmmmmm.... the only reason you would need to worry about old alcohol is if it has some kind of fruit mix or a lot of sugar or something frooty like that. cheers!!
patty

London, UK

#43 Feb 21, 2016
I have a old bottle of booths gin unopened I don't know how old it is but guess 50 years old would it be safe to drink

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liquor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Value of old old liquor (Oct '09) May 12 Superdave3 128
News Gin recalled for having too much alcohol May 5 Suezanne 4
Canadian Masterpiece (Jan '07) Apr '17 Amalie 62
News Bourbon & Beyond Reveals 2017 Lineup Apr '17 ReneCat 1
News Where to eat in Austin now: 6 favorite restaura... Feb '17 FavoritePhartzs 3
Newbie - Wannabe Liqour Collector Feb '17 stefan2k 1
News Rare Scotch whisky tops world record auction price (Oct '07) Feb '17 amdrive 209
More from around the web