Old Liquor - Safe?
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Alka-Seltzer

Yucaipa, CA

#1 Jul 29, 2007
Hey,
Yesterday while helping my pops move, we found an old stash of liquor he had forgotten about and we were tempted to try a few, but neither of us are very experienced in liquors and didn't really know if it would be safe to drink.

It's been sitting in an old fireplace cabinet that is used to store wood and is connected to the out side, and is not well sealed and has probably been subjected to temperature changes of between 80f and 40f but the cabinet is completely dark. The bottles have been sitting in there for over 15-20 years now, with only one that has never been opened (the Smirnoff).

These are the ones we were most interested in...

Seagram's Extra Dry Gin
Smirnoff Vodka
Christian Brothers Brandy
E&J Brandy

Anyway like I said, we just aren't sure whether it would be safe to drink now or what.
Rob

Spartanburg, SC

#2 Sep 19, 2007
It should be ok to drink. a friend found a 40 year old bottle of crown and we drank and compared it to a new bottle of crown and we could bearly tell the dirrerence and it didn't make us sick or feel any worse than we normally would

Since: Aug 07

Jacksonville, FL

#3 Sep 28, 2007
It's alcohol, of course you can drink it.
NonDrinkerGirl

Spring Grove, VA

#4 Dec 31, 2007
We have a bottle of vodka that is at least 9 years old under the kitchen sink - is it still good? I think it probably is, but I wanted someone else who may have more experience to tell their thoughts on it.
mayven

Greeley, CO

#5 May 20, 2008
They are fine to drink for the rest of your life and others. Just don't drink any cordials that have cream in them. They do have a shelf life. Otherwise alcohol is forever.........
OLD BOTTLE OF CROWN

AOL

#6 Nov 5, 2008
Old bottle of crown found in my dads house dated 1950 is it good ?? never open
Ham

El Centro, CA

#7 Dec 2, 2008
Nope...send it to me
HMK

Joliet, IL

#8 Jan 10, 2009
My brother and I have a couple bottles of 40 year old wild turkey. We did some shots, it tasted great and we felt fine but, we spilled some, wiped it up with a tissue and threw it in the fire place. The parts of the tissue that were wet didn't burn and we didn't get drunk.

“Wots uh... the deal?”

Since: Jun 09

Heath

#9 Jun 6, 2009
Ham wrote:
Nope...send it to me
ftw
Aine

Mullingar, Ireland

#10 Apr 28, 2010
I found a bottle of vodka in my old closet..probely around ten years old..opened..safe? I tasted some compaired to a new one I had..tasted the same..Should I go on the raz?
briana

Glendale, CA

#11 Jul 27, 2010
i found a bottle of baileys in the basement the expired in 2003...im guessing since this has cream it would be unsafe to drink?
Mozilla

United States

#12 Jul 29, 2010
Listen up folks....

Old liquor DOESN'T turn into poisen just because it sites in a closet for a long time. Even IF, it does change for one reason or another....it won't harm you.

IF, the cream in a cream liquor too old...all you will do is blow chunks. IF, your bottle has an experation date....please go by the date and throw it out.

Worse case scenerio....the alcohol has evaporated.

Hope this helps :)
m0nstercohhhck

Roselle, NJ

#13 Jan 21, 2011
i have and old bottle of vodka and an old bottle of gin dated back to 1850 : Strogoff Vodka 100 proof and McCOrmick Distilled London Dry Gin 80.6 proof.
what i would like to know is, would you die from drinking this? and how much are these bottles worth?

*Bottles have not been opened just really dusty
Mozilla

Austin, TX

#14 Jan 26, 2011
I seriously doubt that you have labels that are so old. 1850's??? I don't think so.
assblaster

Hutchinson, KS

#15 Feb 12, 2011
hey i found a bottle of mayo in my grandmas basemment and i wanted a mayo sandwich i was really hoping i could use it gosh im so hungry guys my tummy is rummbling and my account is uh well negative as of last night so what should i do what should i do like my kitty willy meows life is a box of kitty litter no matter how many times you change it it still smells like sh** in my trailor
awfedyuaweu

Stevenage, UK

#16 May 21, 2011
does bitter go off? and is it safe to drink if it has been left in a cellar for quite a few years????
Mozilla

Pflugerville, TX

#17 May 22, 2011
Does bitter go off?

What the hell does that mean?
Zimms1948

United States

#18 May 28, 2011
I have a bottle of Martell Cordon Bleu. Has a sticker on the back that must have gotten wet. It used to have a number and I think the year 1938.

Is it worth anything?
Mozilla

Pflugerville, TX

#19 May 29, 2011
Zimms1948 wrote:
I have a bottle of Martell Cordon Bleu. Has a sticker on the back that must have gotten wet. It used to have a number and I think the year 1938.
Is it worth anything?
Are you saying it was distilled in 1938?

Are you asking if its worth any money, or, if its worth drinking?
Mattdixfukfaces

Medford, MA

#21 Jul 29, 2011
Im literally drinking a bottle of jameson that was purchased in 1968 (who even knows when it was made when you consider shelf life and bottling)....and all I want to do is make love to Mozilla's mom and a cat at the same time. I love mayo

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liquor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tastings at Gatlinburg distilleries will now co... Aug 25 Jesco 13
Canadian Masterpiece (Jan '07) Aug 21 SMR 61
News Go Pick: Beer, Bourbon and Barbecue at Blue Mou... (Aug '15) Jul '16 Jame Worie 3
Value of old old liquor (Oct '09) Jul '16 Lost in time 2012 115
Vintage Rum Jul '16 wchurst 2
Sciarada liquer Jun '16 Lynn Holland Nice... 1
News Woman sought following tequila theft from Oakvi... Jun '16 stupid 2 sell 1
More from around the web