Next Last
tom

United States

#1 May 28, 2007
Just like it says, does vodka or any other liquor expire or ever go bad? Thanks
Ryan

Atlanta, GA

#2 Jun 16, 2007
I mean, theoretically if it's open to the air the alcohol could evaporate to the point where bacteria and mold could grow in the liquid, but if you have a closed bottle of alcohol it will basically never go bad, especially something flavorless like vodka. If it's in a plastic bottle it might start to taste bad after several years from chemicals leaching out of the plastic, but I don't think vodka can ever "go bad."
Rob

Uniontown, PA

#3 Aug 18, 2009
Hey, i was also wondering the same thing. I have a cup that i found in my room of vodka. i was tempted to take a sip, so i did so. I noticed that the odor by smelling it has decreased (could barely smell it) and the taste was like water with a hint of alcohol, i just drank it now so i couldnt tell you if i were to feel effects or not bc im also on marijuana and i drank a beer. Basically all i was wondering is can you get sick from this? can it go bad? I just wanna know if it is safe to cosume it before i drink the rest

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mozilla

Buchanan Dam, TX

#4 Aug 31, 2009
Vodka starts off bad.

What other item do you consume that is cooked till it's natural flavor is neutral? Watered down Everclear is all your getting in most cases. Almost every American vodka starts it's life at one of three distilleries...then gets shiped by tanker to someone who adds water and filters lightly through charcoal.

It's really a big ripoff for any of them to charge more than $10-15 dollars, unless they are really hand making it..FROM SCRATCH. Which, isn't many of them.

Vodka drinkers really need to open their eyes and research what they are buying and how much of that goes to advertising and how much goes into the product. Top shelf vodkas create enough cash flow for the distillers to pay for the rest of their product lines, before they sell them.

And for all you Canadian drinkers...your products are 75% vodka with some food coloring. Sorry to spoil your party. That's why you don't drink blended whiskies. Straight is the only way to go...low distillation proof and no additives.

If vodka is supposed to be so neutral...why do all vodkas taste different? And why do they add flavors to something that is supposed to be neutral? Anyone?
Just Me

Hilliard, OH

#5 May 23, 2010
Mozilla, the flavoring part is easy.
Mixed drinks. If you want to make a drink that has peach flavoring, you add liquors that have peach flavoring. Or if you want mixed fruit, you can buy different flavored liquors and mix them all up. It's a matter of taste. Personally, I like unflavored vodka.
Mike D

AOL

#6 Jul 25, 2010
Just found 1/5 of Vodka from the 70's. Never opened. Glass bottle. Guess i'll find out. Maybe i'll get back to ya.
Mike D

AOL

#7 Jul 26, 2010
It tasted like shit!!!!. So vodka does go bad
Mozilla

United States

#8 Jul 27, 2010
Mike,
if your bottle was never opened....it then, tastes exactly like what it would have if you opened it in the 70's.

I don't believe that time has affected the flavor. Unless it was in the sun or got very hot a few times.

I am guessing that your vodka started it's life as a bad tasting spirit.
cykodad

Clarks Summit, PA

#9 Aug 1, 2010
what about russian vodks I have 3 bottles of russian vodka never opened does it go bad could you please let me know
Mozilla wrote:
Mike,
if your bottle was never opened....it then, tastes exactly like what it would have if you opened it in the 70's.
I don't believe that time has affected the flavor. Unless it was in the sun or got very hot a few times.
I am guessing that your vodka started it's life as a bad tasting spirit.
Mozilla

Austin, TX

#10 Aug 10, 2010
cykodad wrote:
what about russian vodks I have 3 bottles of russian vodka never opened does it go bad could you please let me know
<quoted text>
Unless you misstreated it...it should taste exaclty like it did when bottled. Is the fill level normal or low? If low...then it could have lost its alcohol content? Which means you have an expensive bottle of water. If normal...then it should be the same as when bottled.
gabby

Van Nuys, CA

#11 Sep 12, 2010
i have had vodka sitting in a water bottle (a reusable plastic one though) for at least 2 years,

i know some people say its bad to even drink water sitting in the bottle that long, so is it ok to still drink that vodka? Also, idk if it's just me but it seems to smell stronger than normal; could sitting there have made that happen? AKA will less do more for me?

Thanks!:)
Mozilla

Austin, TX

#12 Sep 13, 2010
Some people say that plastic leaches into it's contents.

It won't get stronger(ie. more proof) because the alcohol will evaporate first. If anything...it's weaker.

Either way...it won't kill you. Alcohol doesn't turn into poison just because it sits idle for any amount of time.
dizzytwishie1

Fort Defiance, AZ

#13 Mar 29, 2011
same hurr... thought i was gonna find some good answers... still idk.. but mines is flavor vodka & it's n glass bottle.. it's bout almost yr tink... who knows..
hellakitty

Berkeley, CA

#14 Apr 22, 2011
I have a bottle of ciroc- it's like less than a year old, more than 6 months though and has been opened for at least 6 months- the bottle is glass but the top is plastic, when I drank it the other day I felt like it tasted like plastic or is that how ciroc actually tastes? The bottle has always been in shade, never heated, etc.
Mozilla

United States

#15 Apr 22, 2011
Ciroc should taste like white grapes.

You can pour a sample for someone else and have them tell you what they taste(don't let them see the brand before they comment). If they say it tastes like plastic...then your taste buds are working.

If you believe the vodka to be bad....call your local retailer or wholesaler...and complain. Or, just pour it out.

It seems odd that it would taste like plastic...when it's kept in a glass bottle. It's rare that the contents ever touch the cap.
R Meyer

Waterford, MI

#16 Jul 8, 2011
I also have a plastic half full bottle of vodka, and when I tasted it it had a strange taste .It is about ten years old and was given to me.I was reluctant to drink it because of its taste, but after reading the other letters here, I feel its safe to drink. Im still not happy about the plastic bottle and its chemicals being leached out of it. After all, the bottle itself is produced from oil. How good can that be?
Mozilla

Austin, TX

#17 Jul 14, 2011
Water is the universal solvent. So, it is actually worse to drink water from plastic than it is to drink alcohol from plastic.

Thus, if you drink water from plastic...and it doesn't bother you....then it shouldn't bother you to drink alcohol from plastic.
jack

United States

#18 Jul 23, 2011
Mozilla wrote:
Vodka starts off bad.
What other item do you consume that is cooked till it's natural flavor is neutral? Watered down Everclear is all your getting in most cases. Almost every American vodka starts it's life at one of three distilleries...then gets shiped by tanker to someone who adds water and filters lightly through charcoal.
It's really a big ripoff for any of them to charge more than $10-15 dollars, unless they are really hand making it..FROM SCRATCH. Which, isn't many of them.
Vodka drinkers really need to open their eyes and research what they are buying and how much of that goes to advertising and how much goes into the product. Top shelf vodkas create enough cash flow for the distillers to pay for the rest of their product lines, before they sell them.
And for all you Canadian drinkers...your products are 75% vodka with some food coloring. Sorry to spoil your party. That's why you don't drink blended whiskies. Straight is the only way to go...low distillation proof and no additives.
If vodka is supposed to be so neutral...why do all vodkas taste different? And why do they add flavors to something that is supposed to be neutral? Anyone?
You're dumb, shut up. I'm a vodka drinker and I love every kind. Why don't YOU open your eyes and drink whatever you want and leave the rest of it alone.
Mozilla

Austin, TX

#19 Jul 23, 2011
Sorry if what I said bothers you. It is the truth. I work at a distillery and know what I am talking about.
I will state my opinion or facts....whenever I feel I need to. This is a forum where people are welcome to have an opinion or state a fact. If you don't like that...then move to a communist country and have all your information censored.

You are welcome to drink whatever makes you happy.

Vodka has the highest profit margin of any distilled spirit.
bilru1985

Holbrook, AZ

#20 Jul 26, 2011
I bought some vodka the other day (my favorite brand), I like it because it has a smooth taste. I know that it is an older bottle because th4e newer stuff comes in a plastic bottle. As I made a drink I noticed a funny taste but attibuted it to the mixer. The next time I had a drinl I noticed the same taste so I drank a straight shoot,,,or at least it tried: it had a "rooten potato" taste. Very nasty and stomsach didn't feel right after either drink...I think vodka can go bad. Of courae the liquer stor that I purchased the vodka from was part of a smokey bar so...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liquor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman sought following tequila theft from Oakvi... Jun 16 stupid 2 sell 1
Need help with some mixers!!! Jun 11 ShawnNicholasLee 1
Vintage Rum Jun 8 Vintage Rum 1
Don Pancho Creme de Menthe 750ml Jun 6 BurningStarIV 1
News US distillery creates new bourbourn flavours us... May 27 Bottling House 2
Value of old old liquor (Oct '09) May '16 Angelopet 114
Canadian Masterpiece (Jan '07) May '16 danschuering 60
More from around the web