'Predatory' towing riles drivers

Kimberly Kubicke paid $150 for a cup of coffee. At least that's how it felt when the 31-year-old nanny from Montford came out of a downtown coffee house and found her car gone one day in March. Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
junkndisorderly

Asheville, NC

#1 Apr 4, 2008
Somebody needs to beat the crap out of a couple of these car thieves and get thier attention.
wtf

Hendersonville, NC

#2 Apr 4, 2008
do tow truck drivers have a territory they police?
parking in handicapped is cheaper!

“Ahh, life in Mayberry!”

Since: May 07

In the Beautiful South

#3 Apr 4, 2008
Now help me to understand this... a tow truck driver happens to come along and see a car parked in a parking lot, presumably with no permit attached or something like that, and said driver just grabs the vehicle and leaves? Or is the parking lot owner calling to have the vehicle towed?
I know when I visit Asheville if I parked in an unmarked or poorly marked parking lot and got towed I'm be pretty ticked off. Ahh, the pleasure of living in a small town!
duh huh

United States

#5 Apr 4, 2008
Opie Taylor wrote:
Now help me to understand this... a tow truck driver happens to come along and see a car parked in a parking lot, presumably with no permit attached or something like that, and said driver just grabs the vehicle and leaves? Or is the parking lot owner calling to have the vehicle towed?
I know when I visit Asheville if I parked in an unmarked or poorly marked parking lot and got towed I'm be pretty ticked off. Ahh, the pleasure of living in a small town!
beware - the afforementioned company in this article has been known to use "spotters" who call at the first sign of illegal parking . i live in the surrounding county and have for over 20 years and i have only been in downtown asheville twice . that should tell you something
antilib

AOL

#6 Apr 5, 2008
if any good law is gonna be introduced, it should include that any mechanical or cosmetic damages are presumed to be caused by the towing company UNLESS they can ptove otherwise!!!! And if they do not pay in 5 days their towing trucks are confiscated!!!!
burned

Johnson City, TN

#7 Apr 5, 2008
been there, done that. have not been back to downtown since. besides, as a native,(or ¨local¨ as we have been dubbed) I am not welcome downtown because I have the wrong accent.

BUT I discovered the Johnson City area to shop, thanks to the tow truck and unfriendly clerks of downtown. I realized I did not HAVE to shop in asheville. I haven´t disturbed anyone working in arseville in about 4 years or more. I stopped spending any money in buncombe county unless I forget to gas up before crossing the county to other, friendlier places.

If you live outside Buncombe county there are alternatives to downtown arseville; use them...
JohnJacob

United States

#8 Apr 5, 2008
Yes! They sit and wait on you to park and then take your car with no questions asked. They really like the weekends. Can't get em' towed last enough. That has been going on for years. It should have been stopped along time ago but then again we are not talking about the good ole' Asheville from yester years. It's all about the money and to heck with the people.

“PO'd Puddy Cat”

Since: Jan 08

Asheville NC

#9 Apr 5, 2008
I work in downtown and I see the tow truck in the photo crusing the street where I work several times a day. I see him slow down and look in every private lot.They are under contract with the owners of the private lots to tow away any cars that are parked in the lots without the permit.
Support Operation Chaos

United States

#10 Apr 5, 2008
One day the AAA will do a story on predatory towing featuring Asheville. Then the s**t will hit the fan big time and even Brownie will quake in his liberal pink boots. Personally the only part of Asheville I do business are the eateries on Tunnel Road. Restaurants own their lots and towing isn't a problem for customers.

I don't even like to drive thru Asheville it's so depressing. Progressives reduce parking because they care about global warming. No spaces equal fewer cars pollouting the planet. That makes sense to me. So why fight it. Just let'em fight it among themselves and stay hell out of Asheville.
witness

Lincolnton, NC

#11 Apr 5, 2008
I watched a tow truck floor it..i mean floor it to whip into the lot behind the thirsty monk and tow. he had that car up on the truck in less than 2 minutes..f'ing vulture..get a life.
Asheville messing

Hendersonville, NC

#13 Apr 5, 2008
Again, the City Council of Asheville feels they are above the law. State law this time. Of course if they don't like stste law they get it changed.

The city should be required to pay for any and all signs they impose on others. The city council is only jealous they are not getting the monies from all this.

Better yet, let the city start their own towing company. This would give some of the workers they have doing nothing something to do.
smprusak

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#14 Apr 5, 2008
this seems to be abig money maker for the tow companies awarded the contract & i'm sure they abuse it asmuch as they can as long as mostly honest unsuspecting people maybe not even aware of the towing ordinace is either in effect or so swiftly ponced on. of course most towns don't have nearly enough downtown parking

“RadicalDudette”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#15 Apr 5, 2008
It is interesting that it reminds me of the towing company that the city used years ago with
their office on Haywood Rd just off of I-26W.

The name escapes me but the business that they did
raked in the money. It was virtually impossible to get a car out of "impoundment" because no one was there.

It finally went out of business for the bad policies and procedures it had.

If the city of Asheville cannot find a better way to make income other than parking, then it is time
to expel everyone involved in the city out of office, whether or not it is city hall or city council.

We definitely need some new blood in that office that has the IQ of a mensa person rather than a rat.
hmmmm

Danville, CA

#16 Apr 5, 2008
If those sorry SOBs wont take credit cards, they ought to be shut down anyway...If city council wants to 'do the right thing' then make them take credit cards, so one can pay on the spot without having to go somewhere to get cash. Its why many wont go downtown anymore.
Mitch

Hendersonville, NC

#17 Apr 5, 2008
Sunny's
MurphyMobile wrote:
It is interesting that it reminds me of the towing company that the city used years ago with
their office on Haywood Rd just off of I-26W.
The name escapes me but the business that they did
raked in the money. It was virtually impossible to get a car out of "impoundment" because no one was there.
It finally went out of business for the bad policies and procedures it had.
If the city of Asheville cannot find a better way to make income other than parking, then it is time
to expel everyone involved in the city out of office, whether or not it is city hall or city council.
We definitely need some new blood in that office that has the IQ of a mensa person rather than a rat.

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#18 Apr 5, 2008
Opie Taylor wrote:
I park behind the Battery Park apts when I have to do an x-ray. I need access to the ramp and elevator. The front of the building is completely out of the question.

The same thing happens at the Vanderbilt Apts.

If I get a ticket or towed, my boss will be left holding the bag.

The work I do is for people that cannot get out of their apt.(wonder where they all park when there are
8 floors plus).

Heaven help any one or any tow company touch my van.
It will be a pleasure doing business in court. o)

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#19 Apr 5, 2008
Mitch wrote:
Sunny's
<quoted text>
Thank you. I was having a senior moment or brain
attack.
jcreek

United States

#20 Apr 5, 2008
I stay away from Asheville as much as possible due to this parking rip off as well as the rip off eateries. I am still ticked about what city council did in destroying the speedway. I'll do my business here in Haywood County.
hmmmm

Danville, CA

#21 Apr 5, 2008
Asheville messing wrote:
Again, the City Council of Asheville feels they are above the law. State law this time. Of course if they don't like stste law they get it changed.
The city should be required to pay for any and all signs they impose on others. The city council is only jealous they are not getting the monies from all this.
Better yet, let the city start their own towing company. This would give some of the workers they have doing nothing something to do.
Just like healthcare, government is NOT in the towing business.

“PO'd Puddy Cat”

Since: Jan 08

Asheville NC

#22 Apr 5, 2008
MurphyMobile wrote:
<quoted text>
I park behind the Battery Park apts when I have to do an x-ray. I need access to the ramp and elevator. The front of the building is completely out of the question.
The same thing happens at the Vanderbilt Apts.
If I get a ticket or towed, my boss will be left holding the bag.
The work I do is for people that cannot get out of their apt.(wonder where they all park when there are
8 floors plus).
Heaven help any one or any tow company touch my van.
It will be a pleasure doing business in court. o)
The people that live in the Battery Park have to park in a lot on the other side of Haywood Street and pay a monthly fee. The ones that have a hanicapped sticker can park at the meters around the builing if they can find a spot. They have had the folks at the Grove Arcade ask them not to park in front of the Battery Park as they needed the spaces for the Grove Arcade. Can you imagind being elderly and having to walk from the back of the building, across the parking lot where you park, across Haywood street without a crossing in that area, to get to your car?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cafenopal Organic Coffee and TEa Dec 21 JEFFERY 1
Beverly Johnson says Bill Cosby drugged her in ... Dec 12 Gremlin 5
Interview: Second Cup CEO Alix Box on reinventi... Dec 12 guy 1
Cosmic caffeine: Astronauts getting espresso maker (Jun '14) Nov 28 Andarz Abedini 2
I bought pot legally and it was weird Nov '14 FTW Forever 114
Mile Square Coffee Roastery Provides Global Cof... Nov '14 Alonzo X 1
Tommy P's Boardwalk: Best Casual Dining in Loga... (May '09) Nov '14 Wisdom 12
More from around the web