Starbucks secret iced coffee ingredient

Starbucks secret iced coffee ingredient

There are 23 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 24, 2009, titled Starbucks secret iced coffee ingredient. In it, Newsday reports that:

Q. Why does Starbucks iced coffee have 90 calories? A. Waiting for my iced coffee the other day, I noticed that, whereas a tall brewed hot coffee had 5 calories, the same amount of iced coffee contained 90.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Samuel

Seattle, WA

#1 Jun 24, 2009
For the first question, I would assume that anything that tasted sweet, would have sweetener in it. You can easily order the iced coffee with no sweetener in it, as I do. It's not a secret, most of their employees will ask if you want it sweetened or not.

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#2 Jun 24, 2009
Samuel wrote:
For the first question, I would assume that anything that tasted sweet, would have sweetener in it. You can easily order the iced coffee with no sweetener in it, as I do. It's not a secret, most of their employees will ask if you want it sweetened or not.
It doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is when you grind the beans.
Star BUCKS

Newark, NJ

#3 Jun 24, 2009
The "secret ingredient" in everything at Starbucks is YOUR money.

“Go Ahead Liberal, Make My Day”

Since: Dec 07

Florida...home of Trump

#4 Jun 24, 2009
for those who can't get their Iced Coffee the way they want it, there's a Pet Peeve forum

“The '60s was really stupid”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#5 Jun 24, 2009
Extra sweetener! We better tax it
TAB610

Seattle, WA

#6 Jun 24, 2009
Hardly a secret.. I am asked when I buy it if I want it sweetened or unsweetened and room for milk or not. I'm not sure why your expereince was different.
Mark

Vancouver, Canada

#7 Jun 24, 2009
I always ask for it with no milk and no sugar (sweetener), however some baristas around here are seriously English-language challenged. Sometimes they understand, often they do not.
Amy Shropshire

United States

#8 Jun 24, 2009
I was a Starbucks barista for a year in London and we NEVER put sweetener or syrup in the iced coffees we made. We asked if they wanted room for milk but never anything else. I wonder if this is something different for the US market?
Eyal - ROASTe

Israel

#9 Jun 25, 2009
The sweeter and heavier it feels, the more calories it has. No way around that...
Ernesto

Columbus, OH

#10 Jun 25, 2009
When I first drank Starbucks iced coffee, I was always asked if I wanted it sweetened. Over the last couple of years or so, I have had to specifically request it "unsweetened"
Ned

Patchogue, NY

#11 Jun 25, 2009
Hmmm... I was told that the secret ingredient was horse urine.
Another urban myth - shattered!
liner

Bronx, NY

#12 Jun 25, 2009
Ned wrote:
Hmmm... I was told that the secret ingredient was horse urine.
Another urban myth - shattered!
What makes you think it was a myth?
Big B

Bayonne, NJ

#13 Jun 25, 2009
Every Starbucks I have been to (I am in NYC so that's about 30) always asks Sweetend or Unsweetened when you order iced coffee...
Mary S

Daly City, CA

#14 Jul 1, 2009
I don't think that starbucks tries to mislead anyone about their iced coffee. I have work with the company for awhile and I remember when we started sweetening it, it was very much publicized. The reason why we sweeten it is because granulized sugar doesn't desolve well in cold drinks. Now the amount we use is pretty much the same as any one who adds sugar to their coffee themselves. Just remember you can get it unsweetened! That's how I enjoy it black no sugar and it will have just as much calories than a regular cup of coffee.
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Jul 13, 2009
Holy Jesus smack me in the nuts! I'm 500 pounds and morbidly obese because Starbucks didn't tell me about the sugar! DAMN THEM!
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#16 Jul 13, 2009
OK then what's the ingredient in orange juice that makes it an Orange Julius and cost twice as much ?
Devoirs

Fairfax, VA

#17 Jul 13, 2009
STARBUCKS ICED COFFEE IS VERY GOOD.

STARBUCKS IS THE PLACE TO GO FOR COFFEE.

DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

GEORGE W. BUSH IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CRIMINAL STALKER!

“In her suit, Margie Schoedinger states that George W. Bush committed sexual crimes against her, organized harassment and moral pressure on her, her family members and close relatives and friends. As Schoedinger said, she was strongly recommended to keep her mouth shut.... Furthermore, she alleges that George Bush ordered to show pressure on her to the point, when she commits suicide”(go to Google, type “blog of drizzten Margie Schoedinger,” and hit “Enter”).

“George [Bush is personally complicit] in the death (murder to be precise) of my friend Margie Schoedinger in September of 2003. Determining the exact whereabouts and contacts of ... George Bush on September 21 thru 22, 2003, should be entirely lacking in difficulty”(Leola McConnell—Nevada Progressive Democratic Candidate for U.S. Senate in 2010).

McConnell is correct: Bush applying pressure (continuously criminally stalking Margie Schoedinger) purposefully to force Schoedinger to commit suicide does in fact constitute murder where it culminated in her death.

Bush’s method of murdering Schoedinger cannot exist in a vacuum: he must have murdered other people in the same way.

During Bush’s presidency, of course Bush would have desired to kill people whom he hated or get them out of his way. Insofar as Bush was clearly capable of murdering Schoedinger—even in “broad daylight”—and is clearly capable of getting away with it, in consideration of common sense and the laws of human nature, Bush of course murdered numerous people in the disgusting way he murdered Schoedinger. One can examine public information; in various situations where people who sought to oppose or disadvantage Bush ever so frighteningly ended up “committing suicide”—specifically—Bush murdered them just like he murdered Schoedinger. For example, Bush continuously criminally stalked James Howard Hatfield to the point that he could not get away from it, and he committed suicide in desperation to escape: Bush murdered Hatfield. However, the vast majority of such scandalous information will never come out (the grisly details are typically hard to substantiate). A prosecutor really can lawfully charge a former president with murdering one or more people in the disgusting way Bush murdered Schoedinger. The American people unfortunately live in a world where evil presidents can murder any number of people—figuratively—with a wave of a magic wand and get away with it.

(There are thousands of copies of the information above on the Internet. Please feel free to go to any major search engine, type “GEORGE W. BUSH IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CRIMINAL STALKER” or “George W. Bush continuously criminally stalked Margie Schoedinger to the point that she could not get away from it, and she committed suicide in desperation to escape: he murdered her” or “George W. Bush applying pressure (continuously criminally stalking Margie Schoedinger) purposefully to force Schoedinger to commit suicide does in fact constitute murder where it culminated in her death” or “George W. Bush continuously criminally stalked numerous people to the point that they could not get away from it, and they committed suicide in desperation to escape: he murdered them” or “George W. Bush continuously criminally stalked James Howard Hatfield to the point that he could not get away from it, and he committed suicide in desperation to escape: Bush murdered Hatfield,” hit “Enter,” and find hundreds of results.)

(Please feel free to see my “GEORGE W. BUSH IS THE WORST PRESIDENT IN U.S. HISTORY” blog.)
Messiah College, Grantham, PA
Lower Merion High School, Ardmore, PA, 1993
Hughes Muse

Spring, TX

#19 Mar 17, 2015
Does Starbucks have Almond Milk? I always forget to ask. I think their green tea has no added sugar unless you ask for it.

Are they doing anything special for St. Patty's Day? Serving beer or alcohol, for instance. ;-)
Woodlands Whole Foods

Spring, TX

#20 Mar 21, 2015
Woodlands WHOLE FOODS WITH COFFEE BAR, SALAD BAR, TACO BAR, BBQ BAR, AND PUB IS WAY BETTER THAN STARBUCKS. I AM GOING TO INSIST MY FRIENDS MEET ME THERE INSTEAD OF S-BUCKS.
know what I mean Vern

Blacklick, OH

#21 Mar 27, 2015
Starbucks secret iced coffee ingredient?

Barista spit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Coffee Industry Blasts Its Top Trade Group for ... Nov 12 youll shoot your ... 5
News Start your day off right at Stone Edge Estate (Apr '15) Nov 5 Time Change Weekend 2
News Cops: Man Turns Hostile When Westport Barista R... Oct 28 BPT 8
News Melange Creperie to open long-awaited brick-and... Oct '17 Houston Farts 1
News Creamy Cup And Catalyst: Serving Coffee And Com... Oct '17 Wanting intellige... 4
News VIDEO: Costa unveils 'coffee-copter' to deliver... Sep '17 a_visitor 4
News I visited an offbeat coffee-making hotspot that... Sep '17 Jetty Fishin 2
More from around the web