Money in Ecuador: How far can $1 get you?

Jan 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Gadling

Ecuador is one place where a little money really does go a long way. Not only does the country use United States currency, but it's amazing how many things you can purchase for just one dollar.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Aug 7, 2013

Since: Jan 10

Guayaquil, Ecuador

#1 Jan 29, 2012
'In Ecuador, coffee is usually a cup of hot water with some instant coffee served on the side for you to stir in.' I do not know where this person is getting his/her coffee, but usually coffee,(Ecuadorean style), is served with warm milk with instant coffee in a jar for you to add. They sell Americano coffee, which is hot water with instant coffee, no milk or half & half, and not sugar, and sell for 50 cents.

'On the other hand, if you simply prefer soda or bottled water'.....NEVER have had bottled water in a glass bottle here!

'you can get a cute half-pack of ten cigarettes for just a dollar.' Not true a 10 pack is $1.75 and beer prices have gone up this year also.

'Although the deals sound great, take my advice: if you plan on visiting bring a roll of quarters and the smallest bills you can imagine.' You should bring Sacagawea dollars and not quarters. While Americans do not use them, they are plentiful here.

'The horror stores of cab drivers chastising people for using "enormous bills" when trying to pay a $3 cab far with a $5 bill are true...' I have never encountered this problem. Cab drivers do have a limited amount of change and Sacaguwea dollars. Handing $5.00 for a $3.00 fare is not an issue.
Dean

Quito, Ecuador

#2 Feb 2, 2012
While some things are still inexpensive in Ecuador, it isn't the cheap haven it once was. Dog food is more expensive than people food. I'm not kidding.A bag is twice as much as you would pay in the U.S Every time I visit the GRAN AKI store the prices have increased. So if you are planning to visit or move here bring lots of money. I really like the country and the people, but Paraguay is a great alternative, if you are counting your coins from month to month.

Since: Jan 10

Guayaquil, Ecuador

#3 Feb 3, 2012
Dean wrote:
While some things are still inexpensive in Ecuador, it isn't the cheap haven it once was. Dog food is more expensive than people food. I'm not kidding.A bag is twice as much as you would pay in the U.S Every time I visit the GRAN AKI store the prices have increased. So if you are planning to visit or move here bring lots of money. I really like the country and the people, but Paraguay is a great alternative, if you are counting your coins from month to month.
I agree. Correa has increased import taxes since the beginning of this year, you can see the price differences. Beer, liquor, cigarettes, lots of food items have gone up in price. Want to fly here? Correa has stopped jet fuel subsides, so expect plane tickets to cost between $20-$30 more round trip.

Also some things at the super market you can't get anymore.....

Correa has also proposed a gasoline limit per family of $20 a year. That is only 10 gallons of gas! Once a family has spent this paltry sum, they will pay 'international' prices per gallon? What is that? US prices or european prices? Assembly says families spend $30 a month on gasoline? How did they come up with that number?? I assume business and politicians will not have a gasoline limit!
christianlady

Marietta, GA

#4 Aug 4, 2012
After reading all these postings I would just like to ask if there are any BLACKS who live there???
joe

Quito, Ecuador

#5 Aug 23, 2012
christianlady wrote:
After reading all these postings I would just like to ask if there are any BLACKS who live there???
Yes, Christianlady Actually Ecuador has communities where there are black majorities. Along the northern coast where I live there are many small town with majority black populations. It is a culture worth seeing and a rich history with strong African influence. Come visit, you don't know what you are missing.

Since: Aug 12

Apache Junction, AZ

#6 Aug 24, 2012
It sounds like Ecuador is not as favorable to Americans and Canadians as it use to be. If not Ecuador, where would you suggest? Panama or where?
dean

Quito, Ecuador

#7 Aug 27, 2012
Phantom1949 wrote:
It sounds like Ecuador is not as favorable to Americans and Canadians as it use to be. If not Ecuador, where would you suggest? Panama or where?
If you are looking at someplace with a lot more U.S, Canadians influince, I would say Panama for sure. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck. That would be Paraguay.

Apache Junction, AZ

#8 Aug 27, 2012
Dean:

You are in Ecuador. What are the benefits of living in Ecuador over Panama or Paraguay or other countries? I am just trying to learn before I start traveling. I a in a research mode now....

Any help is appreciated.
dean

Quito, Ecuador

#9 Sep 9, 2012
Phantom1949 wrote:
Dean:
You are in Ecuador. What are the benefits of living in Ecuador over Panama or Paraguay or other countries? I am just trying to learn before I start traveling. I a in a research mode now....
Any help is appreciated.
Really, Ecuador is a very diverse country to be so small. YOu can travel anywhere in the counry in less than 12 hours. It is very tourist friendly. The coast is beautiful. Warm year around. Very laid back. Living in the highlands brings a cooler climate and completely different culture as it has more Indian population and there is much to see. Then in the orient you will find a more rustic remote lifesyle. It's a great country with warm friendly people. Just my personal choice over Panama or Paraguay

Apache Junction, AZ

#10 Sep 9, 2012
Dean:

Thanks. I am not planning to retire for another 7-8 years and am trying to gather as much info as I can before taking a trip there. If I am ready correctly, there are three main cities and they all sound nice. I an leaning now toward a higher elevation (I am into astronomy) and would prefer to live maybe on the outskirts of a city so I still have good health care, internet, etc.

If I can ask, where do you live and could you give your thoughts on the different cities and areas you have seen? I am still in the USA today and you e-mail address is LSchindler@yahoo.com

The only negative I see so far is my having to give up my 2003 motorcycle.....(bikers have a close connection to their bikes).

When I come, what are must see places? Why did you choose where you are living? Did you bring your household belongings or sell them all and buy down there? If moving there, I would be an exemption for what I bring in as I remember. If when moving there, I bring a new car do I still get taxes on the car or if in the initial move if is also tax/duty free???

I appreciate your input. Also what expat sites do you recommend I join to help to get a better picture?

So much to learn....
Samantha

Westerville, OH

#13 Aug 7, 2013
Phantom:

You can opt for Galapagos Islands if not Ecuador.
These islands are some last pieces of heaven left on earth.
I had been to Isabella island last spring. And trust me, it was a lifetime memorable one for me.
The snorkeling sessions were the best of all. And also the cruise trips are very cheap comparatively. These islands have a large variety of distinct species, specially Blue feet boobies. Oh! they are so adorable. If you are retiring in some years, do visit with your family and it will be a great experience for you as well as them.
Check for some tourist plans and offers, so that your research finds some solid start.
And all the best for your trip. Wherever you go.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tim Hortons Deal Could Lower Burger King's Tax ... Aug 26 El Guapo 1
Santa Cruz wants Starbucks to build two-story b... Aug 22 sheaf panda 1
Your guide to all Toronto places in The F Word ... Aug 15 Black Culture 1
Jarrod Johnson orders most expensive Starbucks ... Aug 15 QuitComplaining 1
Texas of Panama (Dec '07) Jul '14 Jim Dandy 11
Starbucks seeks to expand in cafe-clogged Vietnam Jul '14 SpongeBob 6
The 'Big D's' biggest VC: Jon Bayless on the hu... Jul '14 Bill 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••