Restaurant review: 515 Kitchen and Co...

Restaurant review: 515 Kitchen and Cocktails: Upstairs, downstairs: Santa Cruz style

There are 22 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 10, 2010, titled Restaurant review: 515 Kitchen and Cocktails: Upstairs, downstairs: Santa Cruz style. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Despite its ochre exterior and upstairs patio, 515 restaurant looks fairly plain at first glance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
unsatisfied

Sunnyvale, CA

#1 Nov 10, 2010
This place is awful! 5 friends all ordered the same soup, which was absolutely terrible and which we wanted to return. We were told that we couldn't return it because "it had been described to us" and it couldn't be taken off the bill for the same reason. NO fine dining restaurant has a policy like this - it's unheard of. I wrote a letter to the manager and never received a response. Definitely won't be returning.
Orchard

Daly City, CA

#2 Nov 10, 2010
I was there about a month ago and had a great time. I was pleasantly surprised. I usually go for drinks outside but this time we stayed inside on a Saturday night and had dinner. We had a great cheese plate, great jalapeno burger and a pasta dish of some sort. Everything tasted fresh, as I said, we were pleasantly surprised, great service too. When we left the place was packed. It didn't appear to be busy from the outside but inside the place was jumping. Also, it was at a fair price. So now I can add the Kitchen to the Cocktails.
Griz

Wilmington, DE

#3 Nov 10, 2010
To bad it is downtown...
unsatisfiedx2

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Nov 10, 2010
unsatisfied wrote:
This place is awful! 5 friends all ordered the same soup, which was absolutely terrible and which we wanted to return. We were told that we couldn't return it because "it had been described to us" and it couldn't be taken off the bill for the same reason. NO fine dining restaurant has a policy like this - it's unheard of. I wrote a letter to the manager and never received a response. Definitely won't be returning.
AGREE, i had a similar experience
creek

Sunnyvale, CA

#5 Nov 10, 2010
one of my favorite places to attend for beer and food is the 5-15. similar to the red room but more of a smaller place with great atmosphere with all its wonderful employees. im a beer person and love that they have a very good line up of well crafted beers and wine. i had a chance to have a bloody mary from bartender ashley and she it right on spot with all sorts of flavors. she seems to have a great sense of creation in her genes when it comes to taste buds and thats why this place is so comforting, when you have young people with right minds. recommend brothers thelonious from north coast brew. salmon of coarse is there best dish that ive had and there polenta. if its jumping like orchard said just understand that a lot of people get joy out of this place, so just be patient with the staff cuz they are working hard to serve you to your standards. and for unsatisfied fool, you cant judge a place on one dish, you order it and knew what it was. everyone doesnt have the same taste in food and the cooks makes dishes that he thinks is good. i wouldnt of ordered that dish cuz i only like pumpkin pie. two different things. i give this restaurant 4 and half stars out of 5.
ann parker is high

United States

#6 Nov 10, 2010
i tried to like this place at least a few different times. this place is horrible and the service to match.
Cody

Piscataway, NJ

#7 Nov 10, 2010
not too many web reviews on their specific dishes. but, I did see some on this site: www.dishtip.com
Simply Put

United States

#8 Nov 10, 2010
typical service in a Santa Cruz restaurant. ordered breakfast and it arrived an hour and a half later. no excuse and was less than impressed. at least it was a nice day otherwise i'd been out of there in a heart beat. this town lacks consistency. the only thing that's consitent is poor service and inconsistent food.
June

Felton, CA

#9 Nov 10, 2010
The food almost always tastes re-heated and veers on the edge of bland. The hummus tastes like it came from a can. We're not even talking jumbo plastic containers of Sabra at Costco, which would be a step up. Whenever I order a drink (usually draft beer), it takes at least 10-15 minutes, even when the place is completely empty. That's when I'm sitting at the bar. I always get the feeling that the kitchen is a hot festering mess.

The only thing that's maybe worth it is their truffle french fries during happy hour and their s'mac. Otherwise, all the drinks are overpriced and they use bottom-shelf liquors and liqueurs. The mixed drinks are almost always awful, except for the hot toddy, which is decent.

The Red Room, of course, has the same problem (same owners, might as well be the same menu).
Say what

Daly City, CA

#10 Nov 10, 2010
I think this place is good, I'm surprised at the comments. Sitting on their deck with a nice cocktail enjoying an afternoon outside is incredible. I haven't experienced the long wait issues, I guess I go at the right time!
Area Man

Livermore, CA

#11 Nov 10, 2010
very slow service here. Their kitchen is too small for the crowd and the staff is too busy smoking out back.

“Freedom and Responsibility”

Since: Apr 10

Glenwood, CA

#12 Nov 10, 2010
I went there for the first time the other night. It has a nice decor, but I could not wait to get out of there. It was so stuffy and need of ventilation. I couldn't breathe, and my companions suffered from the same sweaty collars I did.
Erick in Soquel

San Mateo, CA

#13 Nov 10, 2010
After the Sentinel review, I thought I would try the restaurant...but after reading the readers' comments, I'm not so sure.
Wonder why the Sentinel is rarely critical of restaurants.
Erick in Soquel

San Mateo, CA

#14 Nov 10, 2010
BTW I'm still in Soquel though the Sentinel always gives me an out of town address.
Paper or Plastic

Felton, CA

#15 Nov 10, 2010
If you regularly dine in the South Bay or up in the city, you'll love this place. If Denny's is your thing, you'll probably be disappointed like some of these posters were.
Orchard

Daly City, CA

#16 Nov 10, 2010
Erick in Soquel wrote:
After the Sentinel review, I thought I would try the restaurant...but after reading the readers' comments, I'm not so sure.
Wonder why the Sentinel is rarely critical of restaurants.
Give it a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised, I sure was! And yes lots of people complain about everything, forget those people, life is good! Try one of their specialty cocktails.

Since: Jun 10

Elk Grove, CA

#17 Nov 10, 2010
Paper or Plastic wrote:
If you regularly dine in the South Bay or up in the city, you'll love this place. If Denny's is your thing, you'll probably be disappointed like some of these posters were.
Just the response I would expect from a local snob.

It appears as if most people on this thread find the food to be lacking, and the service worse.

Since I don't spend any money downtown, I will never have to worry about this place.

Since: May 08

santa cruz

#18 Nov 10, 2010
I saved that place from burning to the ground a few years ago. I deserve a free meal.
Hit or Miss

San Leandro, CA

#19 Nov 10, 2010
I find the food at 515 to be hit or miss. Sometimes it's really good, other times kind of blah, or the portion is *really* skimpy for the price. Which would be OK if it tasted good, but like I said...hit or miss.

The cocktails, however, are always good. I'm not much of a mixed drink person, but 515 is one of the places I will indulge in them. I've never had a bad cocktail there. Definitely their strong point.
Ann

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Nov 10, 2010
The only reason Truman Capote would like 515 is that he is dead, so wouldn't mind waiting three hours for his food. The rest of us have the sense to go elsewhere.

This review is proof positive that the Sentinel's restaurant reviews are nothing but puff.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cocktails Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Restaurant review: Foundation Tavern (former Kr... Oct '17 weapon X 4
Best Happy Hours in San Diego Jun '17 sandiego2night 1
News Brine Brothers pickle juice from River Edge nat... Jun '17 boomgoesthedynamite 2
News Televised Comey testimony billed as a Super Bow... Jun '17 Comey vs Comb Over 1
News Get your ramen with a side of karaoke at Yokoha... May '17 Udonbaby 1
News 15 New Houston Restaurants And Bars We're Looki... (Mar '17) Mar '17 New phartsc 1
News Four to be honored at Black-Tie GayBINGO (Mar '17) Mar '17 Shirvell s Shrivel 1
More from around the web