Hartford's Best-Kept Culinary Secret:...

Hartford's Best-Kept Culinary Secret: Good Gas Station Fried Ch...

There are 39 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 25, 2009, titled Hartford's Best-Kept Culinary Secret: Good Gas Station Fried Ch.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Gas-station cuisine tends toward uninspiring, on the rare occasions when it's not flat-out nasty: hot dogs turning on the rollers for heaven knows how long; nachos coated in congealing, orange cheese; limp, pre-made sandwiches packed full of nitrates, from lettuce to bread to "meat." Bleh.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
enough

Rocky Hill, CT

#21 Mar 26, 2009
CTRunnerGrl wrote:
Clarence - I'm a vegan, so it's hard to eat at any restaurant. I'd rather put my food money into healthy, organic food that restaurant fare any day. Restaurant food is over-rated, anyway. I can make the same food at home for half the price and calories.
For wonderful organic-vegan food, please check out Alchemy Cafe on New Britain Avenue next to the Trinity Skating Rink.

Awesome food, dedicated independent business owners with a heart that is conscious of the community - So much going on at Alchemy that could truly lead the way to a better Hartford!
Gordon Ramsey

United States

#22 Mar 26, 2009
Clarence Beaks wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to spend some time behind the kitchen doors of your favorite restaurant ... you'd be floored.
Gas station chicken ... it's delicious!
Gads i hope your fu@#ing joking .... the rats wont eat that sh*t ... how can it possibly be clean ..... by the way Clarence, you still wearing that monkey suit ???
nmc

Hartford, CT

#23 Mar 26, 2009
Granny wrote:
It may be good chicken, but I still long for the "Chicken Coop" that once was across from the train station in Hartford! Have tried for YEARS to get the secret to their chicken and make it at home!
Try requesting the recipe in the Recipe Exchange column in the Living Section on Thursdays! Perhaps someone has the secret recipe!
I always wanted to eat at the Chicken Coop but my stepmother wouldn't let us!
Johhny teo

New York, NY

#24 Mar 26, 2009
CTRunnerGrl wrote:
Clarence - I'm a vegan, so it's hard to eat at any restaurant. I'd rather put my food money into healthy, organic food that restaurant fare any day. Restaurant food is over-rated, anyway. I can make the same food at home for half the price and calories.
Awwww....no ......MEAT.....at all? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
olive oyl

West Hartford, CT

#25 Mar 26, 2009
Al Copeland wrote:
Try Popeyes Chicken on Flatbush Ave for the nest chicken in the area. Their Spicy Chicken is wonderfull and they have red beans and rice too...
===

popeye's is stupidly expensive without a coupon and they seem to have stopped distributing them.
CT resident

Meriden, CT

#26 Mar 26, 2009
I think it's a wonderful article, and for an occasional fast food treat we need to patronize independent restaurants and food sources-or someday the only choices we'll have will be the nasty chains......
Imagine, only McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Popeye's?????????? We must keep entrepreneurs in business.
Good job Courant. Who wants a review of Sparros?
high five

Hartford, CT

#27 Mar 26, 2009
Granny wrote:
It may be good chicken, but I still long for the "Chicken Coop" that once was across from the train station in Hartford! Have tried for YEARS to get the secret to their chicken and make it at home!
Good Old Chicken Coop the best chicken in town back in the day...nothing like their chicken and onion rings
Rocco DiSpirito

Roslindale, MA

#28 Mar 26, 2009
Gordon Ramsey wrote:
<quoted text>Gads i hope your fu@#ing joking .... the rats wont eat that ****... how can it possibly be clean ..... by the way Clarence, you still wearing that monkey suit ???
Gordon ... is this your next "Kitchen Nightmare"????..... if not I'll make it the next "Rocco's"
Rocco DiSpirito

Roslindale, MA

#29 Mar 26, 2009
.......If Paula Deene does'nt beat me to it ...
Bingo the Cat

Woodbridge, CT

#31 Mar 26, 2009
enough wrote:
and when folks throw the chicken bones out the window of their cars it also helps feed the rats, stray dogs and other vermin in Hartford.
Fast food garbage is one of the first things you notice about the streets of Hartford, followed by grafitti. New England's Rising Star needs an image make-over - regardless of it's local cuisine
Hey, didn't I see your mother walking the streets of Hartford eating those chicken bones?
Bingo the Cat

Woodbridge, CT

#32 Mar 26, 2009
high five wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Old Chicken Coop the best chicken in town back in the day...nothing like their chicken and onion rings
Agree. The best ever.

“Miss LMHtfd”

Since: May 08

Hartford, CT

#33 Mar 26, 2009
olive oyl wrote:
<quoted text>
===
popeye's is stupidly expensive without a coupon and they seem to have stopped distributing them.
Popeye's coupons are printed on the back of Stop and Shop (New Park Avenue) receipts.
Dawn

Montpelier, VT

#34 Mar 28, 2009
Broasterant on Park Street has the best fried chicken and their french fries taste better than McDonalds
you wouldnt understand

West Hartford, CT

#35 Mar 30, 2009
you gotta be from hartford to appreciate this one. sorry suburbanites!
BlaccuWeather

Chatham, NJ

#36 Apr 1, 2009
Miss West End wrote:
This whole story is hilarious. I thought I was reading The Onion for a moment. Besides everyone knows that the best chicken comes from NY Chicken N Biscuits.
I have to disagree. Sam's chicken tastes better and isn't as greasy. But NY C&B does have tasty cheese fries (which I no longer eat thanks to my diet..:/)
BlaccuWeather

Chatham, NJ

#37 Apr 1, 2009
high five wrote:
<quoted text>
Chicken Coop!! You brought me back with that one.
Death from taxes

United States

#38 Apr 1, 2009
Bingo the Cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, didn't I see your mother walking the streets of Hartford eating those chicken bones?
No, that was the kids after the mommys cashed in their food stamp card for beer and cigs at the bodega instead of feeding their kids.
higher standards

Naugatuck, CT

#39 Apr 3, 2009
Dawn wrote:
Broasterant on Park Street french fries taste better than McDonalds
well that aint saying much

i guess wendy's is probably upscale for you, huh?
Bob

Berlin, CT

#40 Sep 8, 2011
iCare wrote:
<quoted text>
The CHICKEN COOP still remains the one and only real fried chicken. They used Waybest chicken to start with, and their recipe was never greasy and always delicious. Still, after all these years I wish it was back. That was the real deal. Does anyone have that recipe? I agree, the idea of gas station fried chicken is pretty scary. But it has had a reputation for quite some as being good.
Hmmm, my memory is that it was some of the greasiest chicken I ever ate. Also some of the best. The coating would puff up and be soooo crispy. I really miss it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cocktails Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Get to Independent Bar & Kitchen Before Everyon... May 18 ELISE GINGERICH 1
News 13 Pitch-Perfect Margaritas to Try in Los Angeles Apr 29 Lucy Jane 1
News This Week in Houston Food Blogs: Salty Cakes An... Mar '16 Farts 3
News Askov Finlayson + The Bachelor Farmer Candles: ... Nov '15 USA USA USA USA 3
News Switchel offers a switch to sipping (Nov '15) Nov '15 Susan Alexander 1
News Weird hangover cures around the globe - " sheep... (Nov '15) Nov '15 DILF 9
News San Francisco Cheap Cocktails: Where To Drink Up (Oct '15) Oct '15 AmericanBars 1
More from around the web