Hartford's Best-Kept Culinary Secret: Good Gas Station Fried Ch...

Full story: Hartford Courant

Gas-station cuisine tends toward uninspiring, on the rare occasions when it's not flat-out nasty: hot dogs turning on the rollers for heaven knows how long; nachos coated in congealing, orange cheese; limp, pre-made sandwiches packed full of nitrates, from lettuce to bread to "meat." Bleh.
Comments
1 - 20 of 39 Comments Last updated Sep 8, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Citizen

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

Stay away from the Sams on Farmington Avenue in New Britain. It is dirty nasty and unclean. I saw an employee take chicken that a customer brought back placed back into the same tray they were selling chicken from. Not Good. The oil from the chicken fryer permeates everything in the building. If you go in there, you'll walk out smelling of it for a while.
Miss West End

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

This whole story is hilarious. I thought I was reading The Onion for a moment. Besides everyone knows that the best chicken comes from NY Chicken N Biscuits.
Former South End Boy

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

The old Chucky's Country Store!!! I can't believe they're still selling chicken after all these years. They aren't lying...this place has always had good chicken.
bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

disgusting
secret recipe

Southington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

i don't know what the problem is. the article is accurate. that spot has had a fried chicken sign for a long long time and always does a lot of business. the new owner shows some pride in his product and his customers appreciate the quality. repeat business is the difference between success and failure. that is how the business works. nice of the courant to feature something at steet level with a positive attitude.
CTRunnerGrl

North Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Just the thought of buying fried chicken from a gas station - or any food for that matter - makes me want to hurl.
stop already

West Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

"Hartford's Best-Kept Culinary Secret: Good Gas Station Fried Chicken"----

this headline has been sent far and wide as an example of how pathetic this city is and how far we have fallen.
Dodd did it

Roebling, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

If the chickens stinks, It's Cris Dodd's fault. Throw the bum out with the rest of the chicken bones.
Clarence Beaks

New Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

CTRunnerGrl wrote:
Just the thought of buying fried chicken from a gas station - or any food for that matter - makes me want to hurl.
You need to spend some time behind the kitchen doors of your favorite restaurant ... you'd be floored.

Gas station chicken ... it's delicious!
Jo Jo

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Nothing better that Jo-Jo's and Chicken from this place. Was there a couple weeks ago and it was great!
wkw

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

When gas station fried chicken rates a headline in a state capital city's newspaper you know that things are very wrong. It saddens me deeply to be here.
Richard Simmons

Rocky Hill, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

I'd rather munch on Jake Steinfeld's (Body by Jake) jockstrap then eat this fat engorged fried crap

“Miss LMHtfd”

Since: May 08

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

wkw wrote:
When gas station fried chicken rates a headline in a state capital city's newspaper you know that things are very wrong. It saddens me deeply to be here.
I agree, but at least Danton can write. Imagine if this had been written by Hilda Munoz.

I'm reluctant to give up on this paper, having read it since the age of nine, but I'm getting close.
DwntwnHtfd

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

I wonder if those who handle to food are not handling money as well. The 2 don't mix and its a violation. I've been to spots around the city where the same folks (no gloves) who handle food also take your dollars & coin at the register!(Yuck) Thats when its time to turn around and walk out!(the city dept. of health need to do on the spot visits more often at some of these places!)
enough

Rocky Hill, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

and when folks throw the chicken bones out the window of their cars it also helps feed the rats, stray dogs and other vermin in Hartford.
Fast food garbage is one of the first things you notice about the streets of Hartford, followed by grafitti. New England's Rising Star needs an image make-over - regardless of it's local cuisine
Al Copeland

Old Lyme, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

Try Popeyes Chicken on Flatbush Ave for the nest chicken in the area. Their Spicy Chicken is wonderfull and they have red beans and rice too...
Granny

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

It may be good chicken, but I still long for the "Chicken Coop" that once was across from the train station in Hartford! Have tried for YEARS to get the secret to their chicken and make it at home!
iCare

Wallingford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Granny wrote:
It may be good chicken, but I still long for the "Chicken Coop" that once was across from the train station in Hartford! Have tried for YEARS to get the secret to their chicken and make it at home!
The CHICKEN COOP still remains the one and only real fried chicken. They used Waybest chicken to start with, and their recipe was never greasy and always delicious. Still, after all these years I wish it was back. That was the real deal. Does anyone have that recipe? I agree, the idea of gas station fried chicken is pretty scary. But it has had a reputation for quite some as being good.
Wow

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

wkw wrote:
It saddens us too, believe me. Can you please leave now?
CTRunnerGrl

Durham, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Clarence - I'm a vegan, so it's hard to eat at any restaurant. I'd rather put my food money into healthy, organic food that restaurant fare any day. Restaurant food is over-rated, anyway. I can make the same food at home for half the price and calories.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cocktails Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State Street's real McCoy Aug 21 Frogger 3
New distilleries produce Utah's first gin and m... Jul '14 Judy 1
10 Best Hotel Porches in the U.S. Jul '14 Hudson Smith 1
Top 25 Whiskeys Under $100 May '14 Leon Markovitz 1
Lara Spencer of 'Good Morning America' pitches ... May '14 anna cardona 1
Victoria Mancini at Brass City Bistro, Waterbury May '14 John Mckellan AKA... 1
Lime costs squeeze margarita makers before Cinc... May '14 your citys stories 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••