Milk more expensive than ever -- Sout...

Milk more expensive than ever -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

There are 33 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Aug 10, 2007, titled Milk more expensive than ever -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

It's cheaper than oil and, barring a global mad cow crisis, we'll probably never run out of it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mark

Beaufort, SC

#1 Aug 11, 2007
Government price controls are to blame - period.

Bad info and totally inaccurate - the real reason for hi costs is US fed gov't price fixing. Milk costs are absurdly tied to the distance we are from Wisconsin. We could enjoy a massive reduction in price immediately if the US gov't would remove the insane price controls.

Why this paper does not present the real truth is beyond me? But if reporting was accurate, this problem would be solved as the general public would rise up in an uproar about incredibly insane protectionist policies.

Dairy farmers do not need protection with hi prices. It is time to shelve this and bring milk, sugar and a host of protected special farming interest group prices down.

“Don't forget to duck.”

Since: Feb 07

Newfoundland, Canada

#2 Aug 11, 2007
Doesn't matter to me. Just look at the shelves at all of the unused outdated rotting milk as shoppers, one by one decline to buy at 3.80 a gallon. serves you right price gougers. Unlike gas, most of us do not need to buy milk.
Wise1

United States

#3 Aug 11, 2007
here in GA I have seen milk at walmart in my town as high as over 4.00 per gallon. That is outragious.

With how much milk my family drinks in a week I could buy a cow and get my own milk when needed with feed exense included for less than the stores charge.

Don't even get me started on the oil issue, there are plenty of other countries who would love business from the USA temporarily, all we have to do is strike a deal that for say 6 months the US buys from all but Opec and stick it to the greedy little creeps.

Trust me 6 months is all that would be needed for them to cowar back to washington's bargaining desks and beg for our business again.

Why dont we do it? the USA is chicken that is why.
Mike

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Aug 11, 2007
How can a gallon of milk be over $1 more than a galon of gas? It is because of price fixing by the government with gas and Supermarkets like Publix. There is no shortage of milk, the shelves are overflowing with it. These are the points and questions that the writer of this article should be making. But this paper has no REAL reporters. They just write nom-articles like this drivel. No wonder that newspaper subscriptions are on the decline.
Roadrunner

Denmark, ME

#5 Aug 11, 2007
Now we can really cry over spilled milk.
Raped at retail

Powder Springs, GA

#6 Aug 11, 2007
So what.

$3.80 a gallon is nothing.

The last time I bought milk in San Fransico, I paid more than $5 a gallon.

And that was 1988.
Hollywood Fl

Raleigh, NC

#7 Aug 11, 2007
My husband thought a yr ago we were being gouged on milk prices here as we are on everything else until i went home and found out kids were paying same there or more. I am almost afraid to read the paper anymore, always bad news about one thing or another. Making me worry about everything. Be nice to read some good news for a change. That treehouse story is last one i can remember. That one made me smile except for the aggravating part of NO PICTURES lol.
Chris

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#8 Aug 11, 2007
I bought a gallon of milk at a Wal Mart in Boca Raton last week for $3.33. I didn't even realize it was a good deal.
Zeus

Miami, FL

#9 Aug 11, 2007
Do people still drink milk? Milk is so "1955." I use water in my cereal.
Raped at retail

Powder Springs, GA

#10 Aug 11, 2007
During the housing and construction boom, the costs of material went through the roof and manufacturers and suppliers... blamed demand in China.

Now the cost of milk is going up... because of... CHINA?

C'mon!

What we need is another depression to shake out the greed in the economy.
skewed sentinel

Pompano Beach, FL

#11 Aug 11, 2007
walgreens has the best milk prices by far...
Trixie_

Powder Springs, GA

#12 Aug 11, 2007
Zeus wrote:
Do people still drink milk? Milk is so "1955." I use water in my cereal.
I don't do water in cereal, but I haven't had a glass of cow milk in 25 years and none of my 6 kids were raised on cow milk as a beverage.
Blech.
Who cares how much a gallon costs? Only those who are still connived by the dairy industry and their hand in glove relationship with the gov.

If it's too pricey, like anything else....don't buy it, shut up and use soy, or rice, or almond, or water, or any of the other options out there.

Only baby cows truly need cow milk.
ppm

Jupiter, FL

#13 Aug 11, 2007
All of you who have been pushing so hard for corn to be used as new fuel shouldn't bother complaining because that's a big reason causing this.

It's causing the price of corn to be driven up and it's affecting every area of agriculture as a result and will hurt the poor even more than oil prices.
no relation

New Baltimore, MI

#14 Aug 11, 2007
PETA get on this. Cows are going to be forced to produce more milk. Crueler intentions are on the way.
DRS

United States

#15 Aug 11, 2007
THANK YOU BUSH AND COMPANY.........
DRS

United States

#16 Aug 11, 2007
Raped at retail wrote:
During the housing and construction boom, the costs of material went through the roof and manufacturers and suppliers... blamed demand in China.
Now the cost of milk is going up... because of... CHINA?
C'mon!
What we need is another depression to shake out the greed in the economy.
DONT WORRY...IT'S RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER.........
Kris

West Palm Beach, FL

#17 Aug 11, 2007
Chris wrote:
I bought a gallon of milk at a Wal Mart in Boca Raton last week for $3.33. I didn't even realize it was a good deal.
It probably wasn't --- their milk always tastes bad and the kids won't drink it.
gguish

Hollywood, FL

#19 Aug 11, 2007
Go to CVS on Southgate. Milk is 2.79 a gallon. Milk at our Walmart is 4.14 a gallon. They are price gougers.Oh,the milk at CVS is MacArthur, the most expensive period.
Nick Naranja

Clewiston, FL

#20 Aug 11, 2007
Macarthur dairy is actually a local dairy, but the first poster is right, there is price fixing in the milk market, also the high demand for ethanol has made it much more expensive to feed cows.
Surprise

Stuart, FL

#21 Aug 11, 2007
I usually don't pay attention to the price, but just today I paid $4.29 at Publix and thought "man, this is getting pricey."
Guess I'll increase my consulting fees again...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drink Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 15 supposedly weird things Scottish people do t... 5 hr Newt G s Next Wife 3
News Starbucks has new fall flavor that's very simil... Fri Papito 19
News Tastings at Gatlinburg distilleries will now co... Sep 21 Popcorn 18
News Festival fun and paying tribute to vets (Sep '12) Sep 19 Meme 3
News Strange brews: Making beer with Boston river water Sep 17 Parden Pard 6
News The coffee that can keep you up for 18 hours Sep 15 Actual Science 6
News GALLERY: Oklahoma couple channel 'The Notebook'... Sep 8 Aspirin Between M... 1
More from around the web