Sheriff who busted Popcorn Sutton tal...

Sheriff who busted Popcorn Sutton talks Newport distillery

There are 46 comments on the WBIR-TV Knoxville story from May 1, 2013, titled Sheriff who busted Popcorn Sutton talks Newport distillery. In it, WBIR-TV Knoxville reports that:

The coveted recipe of iconic East Tennessee moonshiner Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton will once again be cooked in Cocke County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR-TV Knoxville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#1 May 2, 2013
Well the good sheriff was on the news today at noon. it is unbelievable that he cannot pass up a photo op or an interview and of course he had to brag about he's the one who took popcorn down. it is never ending.
GIMME A BREAK

Morristown, TN

#2 May 2, 2013
eyes wide open wrote:
Well the good sheriff was on the news today at noon. it is unbelievable that he cannot pass up a photo op or an interview and of course he had to brag about he's the one who took popcorn down. it is never ending.
Yes, the media hound... But the truth is, he just ratted to the feds and they took him down. He went behind his superiors backs, definitely not following any chain of command and that's the way it went down but, he wants to take credit for it now thinking nobody would remember what REALLY happened. He is so full of himself. Never misses that camera, t.v. opportunity. Bet he wouldn't like it if one of sro's or deputies did that to him.
Justice

United States

#3 May 2, 2013
GIMME A BREAK wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, the media hound... But the truth is, he just ratted to the feds and they took him down. He went behind his superiors backs, definitely not following any chain of command and that's the way it went down but, he wants to take credit for it now thinking nobody would remember what REALLY happened. He is so full of himself. Never misses that camera, t.v. opportunity. Bet he wouldn't like it if one of sro's or deputies did that to him.
Think if Popcorn had not had the loaded weapons with him he'd still be amongst us. Felon in possession put him in the Feds sights. Made it easy for them. Armondo should have driven away. The liquor was a crime so I am mow encouraging criminal behavior. And THAT is wrong. But Popcorn was my friend and I saw no harm in him. I don't drink it but sure miss my friend.
Christian

Morristown, TN

#4 May 2, 2013
The first preacher that I have found supporting LEGAL LIQUOR in Cocke County. Amen brothet Fontes.
Christian

Morristown, TN

#5 May 2, 2013
Christian wrote:
The first preacher that I have found supporting LEGAL LIQUOR in Cocke County. Amen brothet Fontes.
Brother Fontes
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#6 May 2, 2013
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
Brother Fontes
Don't you mean Pope fontes?
Whitefishman

Knoxville, TN

#7 May 2, 2013
I still don't know why anyone would want to drink unaged whiskey, especially since Popcorn's isn't cheap or good.
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#8 May 2, 2013
Whitefishman wrote:
I still don't know why anyone would want to drink unaged whiskey, especially since Popcorn's isn't cheap or good.
Popcorns perhaps wasn't cheap or good but a good distiller will make it very good the man is dead he won't be making it
Irony

Sevierville, TN

#9 May 2, 2013
"He could have been very wealthy if he followed the law and started his own legitimate business, but he chose to be the rebel and not abide by what the law said," said Fontes. "Throughout time the people who have evaded the law have been romanticized and turned into heroes.
With Popcorn's brew set for a resurrection in Cocke County, Fontes welcomes it home as a legal liquor operation that will attract tourists to Newport.
"You know, they're following the law and so we have to support it," said Fontes.
Definitely does not sound like the words of an ordained minister. Like Obama he is leaning to any whim to get votes. I wonder if he will give this same statement the next time he is electioneering in Church.
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#10 May 3, 2013
Irony wrote:
"He could have been very wealthy if he followed the law and started his own legitimate business, but he chose to be the rebel and not abide by what the law said," said Fontes. "Throughout time the people who have evaded the law have been romanticized and turned into heroes.
With Popcorn's brew set for a resurrection in Cocke County, Fontes welcomes it home as a legal liquor operation that will attract tourists to Newport.
"You know, they're following the law and so we have to support it," said Fontes.
Definitely does not sound like the words of an ordained minister. Like Obama he is leaning to any whim to get votes. I wonder if he will give this same statement the next time he is electioneering in Church.
Changes his tune it just depends on what the subject is Big ego and quite slick bad combo
Truth

Kodak, TN

#11 May 3, 2013
eyes wide open wrote:
What is unbelievable is that YOU can't pass up the opportunity to get on topix and tell everybody you been stalking the sheriff again. lol
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#12 May 3, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
What is unbelievable is that YOU can't pass up the opportunity to get on topix and tell everybody you been stalking the sheriff again. lol
honestly I do not understand the intellect of this statement. topix is a forum for discussion and we all should be interested in what is going on in our town and if we disagree with anything the First Amendment gives us the opportunity to say so. so I think the word stalking and lol just shows ignorance. if you disagree with my opinions just give your own opinion. That is your right
Jack

Sevierville, TN

#13 May 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"Truth" is a law enforcement groupie. If you say anything about the sheriffs department the claws come out.
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#14 May 4, 2013
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>"Truth" is a law enforcement groupie. If you say anything about the sheriffs department the claws come out.
obviously
GIMME A BREAK

Campobello, SC

#15 May 4, 2013
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>"Truth" is a law enforcement groupie. If you say anything about the sheriffs department the claws come out.
Definitely taking it too personally for some reason!! Groupie, yep that's a good one!!!
shameshame

Morristown, TN

#16 May 5, 2013
After Fontes or the feds or who ever busted him your not a hero you caused the man to take his life because he was afraid of going to prison, because he always lived a free life in the mountians and he couldnt bare the thought of being caged up.... BUT now the goverment is profiting from his death selling his moonshine...it's so HIPACRITICAL.. he was arrested for it and now its legal if you buy it from the goverment it sickens me to see this go one....R.I.P Popcorn Sutton.... And for the moron sheriff and his great officers should be out here stoping this da* pill epidemic, how many more lives is gonna be lost to them.... If he worried as much about being a good sheriff as he does being in the media this town would be drug free....
hummingbird

Morristown, TN

#17 May 8, 2013
Dont you people know by now Fontes is going to take credit for everything. Even if he had nothing to do with it he will take credit.
Coward

Charlotte, NC

#18 May 8, 2013
Let's face it. Popcorn was a selfish coward who shot himself. He is no hero to anyone he was a loser who could not play by the rules after multiple chances. In reality he was the scum of the earth and should not be looked up to by anyone. He dies a pansies death and left his family in the worst position possible.
GIMME A BREAK

Morristown, TN

#19 May 9, 2013
Coward wrote:
Let's face it. Popcorn was a selfish coward who shot himself. He is no hero to anyone he was a loser who could not play by the rules after multiple chances. In reality he was the scum of the earth and should not be looked up to by anyone. He dies a pansies death and left his family in the worst position possible.
Don't think he shot himself, believe it was carbon monoxide poisoning, not positive, but I think that was it.
Truth

Kodak, TN

#20 May 9, 2013
eyes wide open wrote:
<quoted text>
honestly I do not understand the intellect of this statement. topix is a forum for discussion and we all should be interested in what is going on in our town and if we disagree with anything the First Amendment gives us the opportunity to say so. so I think the word stalking and lol just shows ignorance. if you disagree with my opinions just give your own opinion. That is your right
The point is YOU have attacked me more than once for stating MY opinion. Called me names. Put me down. Funny how that opinion thing only works when you want it to. My point is if I hated somebody as much as you hate armando I certainly wouldn't be reading his articles in the paper. Other than the headline on the news story I don't know what it says. And I have never seen the 'from the desk' that you and your buddy are complaining about all the time. If you don't like him then what is the point in reading the article and then running straight to topix to complain about what it says? It just doesn't make sense to me.

And you are right. This is topix. It is a public forum. You post all over it. And you should know by now it is not a site where one person gives their opinion and then another simply gives theirs. That's funny.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drink Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Starbucks has new fall flavor that's very simil... Sun Lolita 20
News 15 supposedly weird things Scottish people do t... Sat Newt G s Next Wife 3
News Tastings at Gatlinburg distilleries will now co... Sep 21 Popcorn 18
News Festival fun and paying tribute to vets (Sep '12) Sep 19 Meme 3
News Strange brews: Making beer with Boston river water Sep 17 Parden Pard 6
News The coffee that can keep you up for 18 hours Sep 15 Actual Science 6
News GALLERY: Oklahoma couple channel 'The Notebook'... Sep 8 Aspirin Between M... 1
More from around the web