Emergency request filed to remove Detroit schools' financial manager

Nov 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Detroit Free Press

A lawsuit seeking the removal of the Detroit Public Schools emergency financial manager was filed today with the state Supreme Court after it was rejected by the state Court of Appeals last week.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

This may be another in a string of bogus motions by Mr. Davis. I can't believe the Michigan Supreme Court would hear this after the Appeals Court rejected it. The November 6 ballot proposal clearly was only about PA-4. There was no suggestion that all prior laws would also be ineffective.
Mr Thomas Anthony Jones

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Emergency manager get your butt out of town.
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

The courts will decide. People can always come up with a theory for appeals. Sometimes they are credible until the court knocks them down.

Robert Davis advances the theory that when PA-4 became law, that it superseded PA-72 and therefore PA-72 no longer exists. So when PA-4 was voted down, there was no prior enacted legislation to fall back on and no emergency manager laws obtain.
mike

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

None of it matters. Inner city schools will always fail as long as most of its students come from single mothers that for the most part dont give two cents.
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

mike wrote:
None of it matters. Inner city schools will always fail as long as most of its students come from single mothers that for the most part dont give two cents.
The schools may fail, but the kids don't have to fail. There have been some famous graduates of Detroit schools that have contributed greatly to society. What comes to mind is Dr. Ben Carson the neurosurgeon who has affected so many lives of every color. He was born in Detroit and raised by a single mother. His early school years were bad and then he buckled down to business. Peter Karmanos and Mike Ilich were born and schooled in Detroit. There are more recent achievers too, but I'm old school.
mike

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
The schools may fail, but the kids don't have to fail. There have been some famous graduates of Detroit schools that have contributed greatly to society. What comes to mind is Dr. Ben Carson the neurosurgeon who has affected so many lives of every color. He was born in Detroit and raised by a single mother. His early school years were bad and then he buckled down to business. Peter Karmanos and Mike Ilich were born and schooled in Detroit. There are more recent achievers too, but I'm old school.
you point is well taken. Regardless, urban schools are lucky to get a 50% graduation rate. there are some amazing kids that succeed - but most dont. And while nobody wants to talk about it - a good amount of the reason is the deterioration of the family.
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

mike wrote:
<quoted text>
you point is well taken. Regardless, urban schools are lucky to get a 50% graduation rate. there are some amazing kids that succeed - but most dont. And while nobody wants to talk about it - a good amount of the reason is the deterioration of the family.
All true.

It's so hard for me to write off any child when you see what change can be done, what family situations overcome, and the good that can come of it. Judge Greg Mathis would be another example. The system cut him some huge breaks and only God and Greg know the crimes he really did. It was more than armed robbery.

Anything that could boost that 50% graduation rate could save money and help society. The opportunities are greater than a school that already graduates 89%.

Some kind of outside financial management is needed since the current management has wasted hundreds of millions of dollars in bond money.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Detroit Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Detroit Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Detroit People Search