Repeal the Michigan Driver responsibi...

Repeal the Michigan Driver responsibility fees

Posted in the Detroit Forum

First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Since: Nov 07

Lincoln Park, MI

#1 Nov 28, 2007
The Driverís Responsibility Act was enacted to promote safe driving in Michigan and deter potentially dangerous behavior. Instead, it has become an undue burden on our poorest citizens, capturing many of them in an unbreakable circle of unaffordable fees and suspended licenses. Since Detroit is such a cash cow the LEGISLATORS are in a rush to do any thing about.
Renee

Holland, MI

#2 Jan 6, 2008
My son just received his "fee" and it's for a ticket he never received!!! Is there anyway to fight this? Please help.
Linda Shindel

Holland, OH

#3 Jan 16, 2008
I agree it is an undue burden on the poorest citizens. My one son has paid the first year which amounted to $700.00 and will have to pay that again this year. If they have to have this why not just for one year? Two years is outrageous.

Who get the money that is paid. This is just another way for the fat cats in government to feather their nets. I am sick of everything being money, money, money.
cal

Tucson, AZ

#4 Jan 16, 2008
Why do people have to pay this fee? is because of their driving?
cal

Tucson, AZ

#5 Jan 16, 2008
OK I just read about the fee. I think it is a good thing! It incourages bad drivers to, clean up their driving. people with 7 or more points have to pay it. That's great!!! Bad drivers.. Get off the road or straghten up....
Charles

United States

#6 Jan 28, 2008
hey cal. i don't know what planet you live on, but in michigan, there are 2,500 driving statues. dont sit there and tell me that you abide by every one of them every time you turn the ignition switch to the on position in your B.M.W. this law is a discriminatory practice aimed at the vagrant to inject money into the state general fund. Safty is not the issue here. Just because you have the money to pay your tickets on time dont mean everyone else dose.
cal wrote:
OK I just read about the fee. I think it is a good thing! It incourages bad drivers to, clean up their driving. people with 7 or more points have to pay it. That's great!!! Bad drivers.. Get off the road or straghten up....
Charles

United States

#7 Jan 28, 2008
If you believe for one second that this law was put into place to promote safe driving in michigan, then your head is in the clouds. Ask yourself this question, Who wants to get into an accident? Then ask youself who makes mistakes? See, our masters, the michigan legislature, are not ignorant. they act ignorant. there is a diffenence there. They knew what the outcomes would be by inacting this legislation. they are placing a bet that you are going to make a mistake and a revenue officer(local police officer, county sheriff, state police) is going to catch you breaking one of the 2,500 driving statues. Hell, i don't even know all of those 2,500 statues. Do you? We have to wake up and understand who we are dealing with first. These people are liars, cheats, and theives who do not,"DO NOT" have your best intrest in mind. They are more interested in what the insruance industry has to say since they are the one who proposed this law. I want you to look at the partiot act, NAFTA and GAT, and real I.D. and tell me its for your own good. We call these people our friends. With friends like that, who needs enemies.
Towne Krier wrote:
The Driverís Responsibility Act was enacted to promote safe driving in Michigan and deter potentially dangerous behavior. Instead, it has become an undue burden on our poorest citizens, capturing many of them in an unbreakable circle of unaffordable fees and suspended licenses. Since Detroit is such a cash cow the LEGISLATORS are in a rush to do any thing about.
scooter

United States

#8 Feb 1, 2008
Linda Shindel wrote:
I agree it is an undue burden on the poorest citizens. My one son has paid the first year which amounted to $700.00 and will have to pay that again this year. If they have to have this why not just for one year? Two years is outrageous.
Who get the money that is paid. This is just another way for the fat cats in government to feather their nets. I am sick of everything being money, money, money.
THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WE MICHIGANDERS HAVE IS THAT WHEN WE GET POINTS ON OUR DRIVING RECORD, THEY DON'T COME OFF FOR THREE YEARS. THEY HAVE US ALL OVER A BARREL AND THEY KNOW IT. THIS HAS TO BE ILLEGAL. WE ALL KNOW THAT IT WAS CREATED AS A REVENUE STREAM TO HELP THE AILING ECONOMY. I SAY GOVERNOR JENNIFER GRANHOLM HAS GOT TO GO. NO WONDER POEPLE ARE LEAVING THIS STATE AND NOBODY IS COMIN GIN. WHO WOULD WANT TO?
Nate

Southfield, MI

#9 Feb 1, 2008
cal wrote:
Well said. I cannot believe people are complaining that there childrens bad behaviour is being punished. Maybe if they would have taken care of the discipline earlier they would not be in this boat. Don't do the crime if you can't pay the time.
Northern Light

Troy, MI

#10 Feb 4, 2008
Charles wrote:
hey cal. i don't know what planet you live on, but in michigan, there are 2,500 driving statues. dont sit there and tell me that you abide by every one of them every time you turn the ignition switch to the on position in your B.M.W. this law is a discriminatory practice aimed at the vagrant to inject money into the state general fund. Safty is not the issue here. Just because you have the money to pay your tickets on time dont mean everyone else dose.
<quoted text>
If you can't afford to pay the fees, you shouldn't screw up and/or shouldn't be driving. Driving is a privilege, not a right.
chalres

United States

#11 Feb 6, 2008
That would be real nice if nobody screw up ever mr perfect. but im not, your not, the judge aint, and neither is our canadian government. but dont worrie, our canadian government, and the judge might not be effected, but you or somebody you know will.
Northern Light wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't afford to pay the fees, you shouldn't screw up and/or shouldn't be driving. Driving is a privilege, not a right.
chalres

United States

#12 Feb 6, 2008
you see northern light, if you look at the stats provided by the michigan department of transportation, you would see that this law havn't fixed anything in the way of "driving behavior" it's only screwing up the economy. the less money the citizen has to spend in the community, the more the community suffers even if the government takes it.
chalres

United States

#13 Feb 6, 2008
see nate, thats politricks. the people who can afford to do the crime do so without consequence for the most part. you know those people like judges, police officers, senators. you see, these people aren't living check to check. these people don't live where the family budget is so tight, that a fether will burst the budget bag apart at the seam. now, nobody is for driving reckless. thats not the point. the point is dont take away the right to pursuit of happieness.
Nate wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. I cannot believe people are complaining that there childrens bad behaviour is being punished. Maybe if they would have taken care of the discipline earlier they would not be in this boat. Don't do the crime if you can't pay the time.
chalres

United States

#14 Feb 6, 2008
yea your correct to say the driving is a privilege, not a right, but we have a right to the privilege.
Northern Light wrote:
<quoted text>
erik

United States

#15 Feb 12, 2008
cal, you are a fool, northern light, you are one in the same with cal. this has been nothing more than a poor mans tax from the beginning. i agree that if you do the crime you do the time, but not when it is double jepoardy at its finest. Unfair and unrepresented taxation is against our constitutional rights, and if you wanna go into the whole "driving is a priveledge" ordeal. the us supreme court has said, as is posted in our CONSTITUTION, that a mans right to travel by carriage or automobile on roadways and highways is an inalienable right to which every american is allowed. now before you go spouting your pro granholm rhetoric, i suggest you educate yourself first on what your RIGHTS are, and realize that your freedom is being jeopardized by supporting anything these political fatcats suggest. next thing you are gonna be saying is that we are only free to do what they tell us we can, screw the constitution, screw americans rights. who needs rights or free will when the government can just tell you what to do, and like good little sheep, you follow along. walk of that cliff you lemmings, the world will be better without you.
charles

United States

#16 Feb 12, 2008
Yep, we have a right. If you donít believe me, Google in these cases and law standards and you will see who's is doing the lying, stealing and cheating and who should be fined(there are many many more that Iíd donít have time to mention but should).
Robertson vs. Department of Public Works, 180 Wash 133,147
Hale vs. Hinkel 201US 43, 74-75
Hadfield vs. Lundin, 98 Wash 6571, 168 p.516
Chicago Motor Coach vs. Chicago, 169 NE 22
Ligare vs Chicago, 28 NE 934
Boon vs Clark, 214 SSW 607
Thompson vs. Smith, 154 SE 579
Am. Jur.(1st) Highways Sect. 163.
AM. JUR.(1st) Constitutional Law, Sect. 329, p1135
erik wrote:
cal, you are a fool, northern light, you are one in the same with cal. this has been nothing more than a poor mans tax from the beginning. i agree that if you do the crime you do the time, but not when it is double jepoardy at its finest. Unfair and unrepresented taxation is against our constitutional rights, and if you wanna go into the whole "driving is a priveledge" ordeal. the us supreme court has said, as is posted in our CONSTITUTION, that a mans right to travel by carriage or automobile on roadways and highways is an inalienable right to which every american is allowed. now before you go spouting your pro granholm rhetoric, i suggest you educate yourself first on what your RIGHTS are, and realize that your freedom is being jeopardized by supporting anything these political fatcats suggest. next thing you are gonna be saying is that we are only free to do what they tell us we can, screw the constitution, screw americans rights. who needs rights or free will when the government can just tell you what to do, and like good little sheep, you follow along. walk of that cliff you lemmings, the world will be better without you.
Cocoa

Toledo, OH

#17 Feb 12, 2008
cal wrote:
I totally disagree with what you said. The day I received my license, I got pulled over for "failure to turn on headlights". I payed the fine and had no problem with it. After all, it was amy fault. But months later I get stuck with some bull sh*t. It's like a SECOND PUNISHMENT. I do believe that people who are recklessly driving should have a harsh penalty (they are putting people's lives at danger), but for little stuff like 'headlights' and 'seatbelts' I just think 1 fine is enough for someone to learn to be more cautious.
charles

United States

#18 Feb 14, 2008
Concerned About US

Orlando, FL

#19 Feb 14, 2008
Towne Krier wrote:
Thank you for posting this, Towne Krier. In California and Florida signs are posted before roadwork "All traffic fines doubled in construction zones" this is the same principle.
If there is an equitable and fair fine in the first place it wouldn't be so bad, but especially in California the fines are set very high, that's how the court system is financed; which is the real profit center.
Drivers don't purposely endanger road workers (where is the logic in that?) but make a common driving mistake and pay double? Where is the fairness in that.
The current legislators and judges should be replaced by forming Independent County Parties, that can elect lawmakers that will do something about unlicensed drivers (many of them illegal immigrants.)
don speed

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Feb 17, 2008
Wer're upset about the fees.If you drive the way you were suppose to in the first place you wouldn't have to worry about those fees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Detroit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Body of woman in her 60s found in middle of Det... 59 min Missing Persons Club 1
Michigan national bank 9 hr stopstalkingmepet... 1
GANGSTALKED IN DETROIT: A must read! infiltrati... 10 hr stopstalkingmepet... 1
Rexella Van Impe's 15 facelifts a SIN (Jul '13) 22 hr Paul T 57
For or against closing strip clubs in Detroit 23 hr Missing Persons Club 5
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 23 hr Oh well 20,085
News Report declares Detroit relatively vermin-free Mon Missing Persons Club 1
Jack Van Impe is dead (Mar '11) Aug 2 rexella 484
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Detroit Mortgages