Young African American men are not on...

Young African American men are not only part of Detroit's turnaround, they are the key to it

There are 68 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Mar 9, 2014, titled Young African American men are not only part of Detroit's turnaround, they are the key to it. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

We have been called to act. Young black males in America are in trouble, and President Barack Obama's recently unveiled My Brother's Keeper initiative -- as well as a tandem philanthropic-sector effort -- to offer help.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

Curious

Pleasanton, CA

#23 Mar 12, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>There are many positive things happening in the city of Detroit. Google "positive Detroit" and, for a moment, try and think outside of your strongly entrenched racial prejudice to see the good things in Detroit that never makes the news. The black folk who do work hard, who do take care of their property, who do pay their taxes, and who want the best for their community.

And as I've told white people before, enjoy your white privilege and white supremacy while it lasts.
Name me some of these positive things you speak of.
Kallarak27

Brunswick, OH

#24 Mar 13, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
well there's uh, there's the um, oh, well, how about......eh........
well, ok, you got me on that one!

Since: Nov 11

Taylor, MI

#25 Mar 13, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you actually read what I posted? You Google what I told you to.
Jaskson

Los Angeles, CA

#26 Mar 13, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you actually read what I posted? You Google what I told you to.
I did Google "positive Detroit" and came up with the most trivial pages of Twitter posts and blogs all hoping beyond reason for something to actually happen-in the future. When you can't cite anything real yourself, you admonish us to somehow find what does not exist and then blame us for not trying hard enough. You have no substance. You would be an empty suit if you wore a suit. The facts are obvious and it hurts to hear it so you deny them.

Taylor, MI

#27 Mar 13, 2014
Jaskson wrote:
<quoted text>
I did Google "positive Detroit" and came up with the most trivial pages of Twitter posts and blogs all hoping beyond reason for something to actually happen-in the future. When you can't cite anything real yourself, you admonish us to somehow find what does not exist and then blame us for not trying hard enough. You have no substance. You would be an empt suit if you wore a suit. The facts are obvious and it hurts to hear it so you deny them.
And the fact remains that you will never even slightly allow Detroit to shine.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#28 Mar 14, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many positive things happening in the city of Detroit. Google "positive Detroit" and, for a moment, try and think outside of your strongly entrenched racial prejudice to see the good things in Detroit that never makes the news. The black folk who do work hard, who do take care of their property, who do pay their taxes, and who want the best for their community.
And as I've told white people before, enjoy your white privilege and white supremacy while it lasts.
Nice try clyde

But you failed to answer the open question on the table,

" what good have blacks done or accomplished in any city in America?
Provide some real world examples of success.

Its reality your having a hard time facing. I am in a business in which facts real numbers contextual details not vague generalization tell a story and make the difference between success or failure of a operation.

I report the facts as they are displayed for all to see you seem to avoid facts and stick to jive gibberish slogans, reheated Jessie Jackson speeches.

Where is the black leadership in the black communities of America?

why is it an how is it thousands of black people can be shot dead in Chicago and a lesser number in Detroit and there is no public outrage no public denouncement of the violence in those communities?

Real world Example for you to digest.

27 children got shot in CT and the city, state and the country were shocked went into mourning senate hearings national debate on what's wrong and how to fix it.
yet 520 black people including babies were shot in Chicago in 2012 and not a peep from the hood, the black president, the black attorney general Chicago law enforcement the black community??

sure you could argue the 27 kids killed at once was a shock but 5 or 6 people killed every week in a city has to be a shock also. The death toll at the end of the year has to be a shock also.

Instead of denouncing my comments as racist why don't you provide some positive examples of what blacks are doing in American cities.

We know the blacks don't hustle jobs or create jobs with a 30% unemployment rate in American cities. so explain to us why do immigrants find jobs In America and blacks don't?

Did you read the report from the department of health and human services titled "Harlem 1850 to 1970? what did you take away from the study?

How about a debate with facts not gibberish?
Runs with Scissors

Fairfield, CA

#30 Mar 14, 2014
Detroit is a mess, the only thing that fixes a crime ridden black city is importing Hispanics to displace them. LA and new York both did that and their cities have manageable crime rates now.

Taylor, MI

#31 Mar 14, 2014
"what good have blacks done or accomplished in any city in America?
Provide some real world examples of success."

Rappers Sean Combs and Jay-Z were raised in the projects. Now they are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. They also have donated to charities that fund inner-city programs to help young black people move up in life.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-05-20...

Oprah Winfrey is a billionaire. She has given to charity in the Chicago area.

These are just three examples of black people who came from nothing, became wealthy, and are doing their part to give back. What irritates me is that you, "realityisacrutch" can find ALL of this if you want. But because you have such an insatiable appetite for wicked black people you comment on just about every negative black people/Detroit Topix thread you can. And it's really only to mock, make jest at, or show how much "better" you are than the whole of black Americans. What a pity.
oozing shanker

Roseville, MI

#33 Mar 15, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
"what good have blacks done or accomplished in any city in America?
Provide some real world examples of success."
Rappers Sean Combs and Jay-Z were raised in the projects. Now they are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. They also have donated to charities that fund inner-city programs to help young black people move up in life.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-05-20...
Oprah Winfrey is a billionaire. She has given to charity in the Chicago area.
These are just three examples of black people who came from nothing, became wealthy, and are doing their part to give back. What irritates me is that you, "realityisacrutch" can find ALL of this if you want. But because you have such an insatiable appetite for wicked black people you comment on just about every negative black people/Detroit Topix thread you can. And it's really only to mock, make jest at, or show how much "better" you are than the whole of black Americans. What a pity.
Africans make up Approx. 13 % of the population in the U.S.A. Of this 13 % half are male. Of those males, half are between 15 and 35 years of age. 3 % of the population in the U.S.A. committing more than half of all the violent crime in the whole country. That's why Africans are profiled.

Fenton, MI

#34 Mar 15, 2014
oozing shanker wrote:
<quoted text>Africans make up Approx. 13 % of the population in the U.S.A. Of this 13 % half are male. Of those males, half are between 15 and 35 years of age. 3 % of the population in the U.S.A. committing more than half of all the violent crime in the whole country. That's why Africans are profiled.
First of all, they are not Africans. They are Americans. Second, do these statistics justify profiling? Profiling is wrong. Prejudice, while it is wrong, is understandable. Would it be right to profile Italians as mobsters? Or Irish people as drunken hot-heads?
Curious

Pleasanton, CA

#35 Mar 15, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>Did you actually read what I posted? You Google what I told you to.
Yes I read the statement you wrote. Now back your statement with facts so that we may try and believe you. Make your case....we are waiting.

Taylor, MI

#36 Mar 15, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I read the statement you wrote. Now back your statement with facts so that we may try and believe you. Make your case....we are waiting.

Well, quite frankly, I think if you were really, truly interested you would find it out yourself. You can Google black people and charity, countless African-American success stories. Black billionaires, millionaires, business owners, politicians, doctors, etc. But you won't. Why? Because people like you need wicked black people to make fun of, put down, and point fingers at. Because you are such a patronizing, condescending race chauvinist you just can't seem to shake your ingrained hatred of blacks.
Curious

Pleasanton, CA

#37 Mar 16, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, quite frankly, I think if you were really, truly interested you would find it out yourself. You can Google black people and charity, countless African-American success stories. Black billionaires, millionaires, business owners, politicians, doctors, etc. But you won't. Why? Because people like you need wicked black people to make fun of, put down, and point fingers at. Because you are such a patronizing, condescending race chauvinist you just can't seem to shake your ingrained hatred of blacks.
I took your advice, but every time I performed the Google search you suggested, it took me to the Department of Corrections inmate locator web site. Whose name would you like me to locate for you?

Taylor, MI

#38 Mar 16, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I took your advice, but every time I performed the Google search you suggested, it took me to the Department of Corrections inmate locator web site. Whose name would you like me to locate for you?
This stupidity is PRECISELY what I'm talking about, joking or not joking, you do not care whatsoever. You just need an excuse to be a racist brat.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#39 Mar 16, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many positive things happening in the city of Detroit. Google "positive Detroit" and, for a moment, try and think outside of your strongly entrenched racial prejudice to see the good things in Detroit that never makes the news. The black folk who do work hard, who do take care of their property, who do pay their taxes, and who want the best for their community.
well how about some concrete real world examples of what good works blacks are doing in Detroit or any place in America.?

Having driven through what's left of Detroit or the south side of Chicago & other cities I did not see any thing special happening in those neighborhood, just more of what you have in Detroit which is a big fat nothing.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#40 Mar 16, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
so what have black people done that is note worthy in Detroit ?

South Lyon, MI

#41 Mar 16, 2014
reality is a crutch wrote:
<quoted text>
well how about some concrete real world examples of what good works blacks are doing in Detroit or any place in America.?
Having driven through what's left of Detroit or the south side of Chicago & other cities I did not see any thing special happening in those neighborhood, just more of what you have in Detroit which is a big fat nothing.
Because you refuse to look. You really need to cut the crap and stop acting is you are genuinely interested. You ask me constantly to do something you are MORE than capable of doing yourself. Yet you patronize and spew statistics and your own subjective bias as gospel. Please stop pretending or do your own research.
Wade Mcree

Jacksonville, NC

#42 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>
so what have black people done that is note worthy in Detroit ?
Hows bout the Tyree Guyton art project houses?

“AFRO beauty”

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#43 Mar 16, 2014
great so we all have to learn ebonics walk with our pants below our butts and sneer at everyone we see on the streets with our N word attitude.
If black men are the key to the Detroit turn around give it up .
black men can't turn anything in a positive direction anywhere in America.
Look at everywhere large numbers of black men live see the results of the way they live.
Black men and woman are being out hustled by immigrants from all over the world taking the jobs that blacks could take if they got off the couch off the street cornor and hustled the jobs.
And did you notice all those working immigrants don't speak ebonics and they dress like the rest of the world dresses. they are trying to fit in.
to hell with your idea of fitting in. our people don't need your jobs; we need to create our own....were getting it little by little again in Detroit but of course you know NOTHING about the positive things being done in Detroit by OUR BLACK AMERICAN MEN.

when we finally get ahold of our economics were we benefit 95% percent from, we can speak ebonics and dress as we please (minus the booty show look) and the likes of you can just FALL BACK.

“AFRO beauty”

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#44 Mar 16, 2014
oozing shanker wrote:
<quoted text>Africans make up Approx. 13 % of the population in the U.S.A. Of this 13 % half are male. Of those males, half are between 15 and 35 years of age. 3 % of the population in the U.S.A. committing more than half of all the violent crime in the whole country. That's why Africans are profiled.
we are profiled because we are BLACK and we ARE AMERICANS not Africans. we have been here longer then you mr/ms Ellis Island via 1929.

it is a FACT that over 90% of crimes are committed by white people but OVER 90% OF BLACK PEOPLE ARE PROFILED. so of course it easy to skew the stats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Detroit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 48 Hours: Best things to do in Metro Detroit 1 hr lol 1
News Owner accused of selling drugs at party story (Oct '09) 13 hr Samiyah 200
Ak steel contract negotianons Wed did they 3
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jun 19 Fitus T Bluster 20,945
Why Trumps have so much Plastic Surgery? Jun 19 ThomasA 2
News 'Meet Your Muslim Neighbor' (Oct '09) Jun 18 Here boy 1,122
News Michigan lawmaker proposes bill banning Sharia Law Jun 18 Muzzie confusion 12

Detroit Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Detroit Mortgages