Young African American men are not only part of Detroit's turnaround, they are the key to it

Mar 9, 2014 Full story: Detroit Free Press 68

We have been called to act. Young black males in America are in trouble, and President Barack Obama's recently unveiled My Brother's Keeper initiative -- as well as a tandem philanthropic-sector effort -- to offer help.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#1 Mar 10, 2014
great so we all have to learn ebonics walk with our pants below our butts and sneer at everyone we see on the streets with our N word attitude.

If black men are the key to the Detroit turn around give it up .

black men can't turn anything in a positive direction anywhere in America.

Look at everywhere large numbers of black men live see the results of the way they live.

Black men and woman are being out hustled by immigrants from all over the world taking the jobs that blacks could take if they got off the couch off the street cornor and hustled the jobs.

And did you notice all those working immigrants don't speak ebonics and they dress like the rest of the world dresses. they are trying to fit in.
I Wear My Pants High

Cleveland, OH

#2 Mar 10, 2014
I heard that in prisons if an inmate likes his fellow inmates to have anal sex with him, they advertize it by wearing their pants low like 1/2 way down their asses. The ones that wear them like that on the street make me laugh because when I see that, I think to myself that that's what they're advertizing of themselves on the streets too! Ha ha ha lol yee hee hee ha ha lol !

Since: Nov 11

Wixom, MI

#3 Mar 10, 2014
I sincerely hope they succeed. They have the talent and the brainpower. I wish them the best.
bite me

Kearney, NE

#4 Mar 10, 2014
here’s our chance to do it better than the others by ensuring that everyone — through hard work and support

dumb-azz, you lost a large percentage with the mention of hard work, scared the hell right out of them.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#5 Mar 10, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
I sincerely hope they succeed. They have the talent and the brainpower. I wish them the best.
well if they have the talent and brain power you talk about they haven't been using it in America for the past 150 years.
there is nothing going on in da hood of any American city to suggest there are any brains at work at all.

why keep all that power a secret? Unless your lying about the brain power......

show us the brains....
Sweet Dreams

Atlanta, GA

#6 Mar 10, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
Why now and never in the past? People with talent and brain power don't sit on it. They don't wait until someone tells them it's time top get a job or pick up the trash. Actually, it does not take brain power to be civilized and respect your brothers.

The truth is too painful for you to endure.

Taylor, MI

#7 Mar 10, 2014
reality is a crutch wrote:
<quoted text>
well if they have the talent and brain power you talk about they haven't been using it in America for the past 150 years.
there is nothing going on in da hood of any American city to suggest there are any brains at work at all.
show us the brains....
Oh it is there. And before you foolishly claim that I am blind or ignorant, I understand that the black community have a lot of issues. But clearly you have blinders on. Blacks have come a long way since slavery but because you won't get over your heavily engrained prejudice you will never see it.
Barney

Cullman, AL

#8 Mar 10, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh it is there. And before you foolishly claim that I am blind or ignorant, I understand that the black community have a lot of issues. But clearly you have blinders on. Blacks have come a long way since slavery but because you won't get over your heavily engrained prejudice you will never see it.
I suspect by progress you mean using guns instead of throwing rocks and spears.

Taylor, MI

#9 Mar 10, 2014
Barney wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect by progress you mean using guns instead of throwing rocks and spears.
Cute...just like whitey progressed from Viking/Roman shields and swords and spears to Tommy guns, flamethrowers, atomic bombs, napalm,.50 caliber pistols etc right? Just like whitey advanced from the gold standard to fiat currency right? Cute comment "Barney."
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#11 Mar 11, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
Look I was born raise on the south side of Chicago I have seen first hand what the "enlightened blacks" have done to the south side of the city. My Business has taken me to Detroit, Oakland, east st Louis and every where blacks are in large numbers nothing is going on , absolutely NOTHING.

An objective look at America cities show your point of view to be wrong, blacks have slid backwards since the end of slavery and the beginning of welfare.

Take your blinders off and Read "the history of Harlem 1850 to 1970" written by the department of health and human services it shows your view point is out of touch with the reality in the black communities of America.

Blacks should be ashamed of what they have allowed to happen them and the communities they live in if you can call that living.

Blacks are being out hustled for jobs in America by immigrants.

Show me one city anywhere in America where blacks have improved things or made thing better and I can show you 50 cities ruined by blacks.
Louis Farahconjob

Cleveland, OH

#12 Mar 11, 2014
The young negro boys need to teach other young negro boys how to steal cars, break into houses and rob old women on the streets to keep their heritage going!

And now I would like to sing the negro national anthem.....

AHHHH HEP MEH! dah dooh dot dah! AHHHH HEP MEH! dah dooh dot dah! hep meh! dah dooh dot dah! hep meh, dah dooh dot dah!
Everyman

Sumter, SC

#13 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>
Look I was born raise on the south side of Chicago I have seen first hand what the "enlightened blacks" have done to the south side of the city. My Business has taken me to Detroit, Oakland, east st Louis and every where blacks are in large numbers nothing is going on , absolutely NOTHING.
An objective look at America cities show your point of view to be wrong, blacks have slid backwards since the end of slavery and the beginning of welfare.
Take your blinders off and Read "the history of Harlem 1850 to 1970" written by the department of health and human services it shows your view point is out of touch with the reality in the black communities of America.
Blacks should be ashamed of what they have allowed to happen them and the communities they live in if you can call that living.
Blacks are being out hustled for jobs in America by immigrants.
Show me one city anywhere in America where blacks have improved things or made thing better and I can show you 50 cities ruined by blacks.
I have been a long time detractor of reality because of the endless pasting and racist comments any time Detroit is mentioned. Sometimes it is evident that the articles posted about were never read. However, this current post is completely accurate and any thought to the contrary would suggest insanity or dementia.
Brian Adam

United States

#14 Mar 11, 2014
great so we all have to learn ebonics walk with our pants below our butts and sneer at everyone we see on the streets with our N word attitude.
If black men are the key to the Detroit turn around give it up .
black men can't turn anything in a positive direction anywhere in America.
Look at everywhere large numbers of black men live see the results of the way they live.
Black men and woman are being out hustled by immigrants from all over the world taking the jobs that blacks could take if they got off the couch off the street cornor and hustled the jobs.
And did you notice all those working immigrants don't speak ebonics and they dress like the rest of the world dresses. they are trying to fit in.
I couldn't have put it better. We need a Holocaust in Detroit for them.
High Ranking Official

San Antonio, TX

#15 Mar 11, 2014
Detroit's finished. No one in America has decades of patience to invest in a craphole anymore. Detroit needs to get ahead of it by turning itself into a real world weekend warrior battle zone where the challenge is to check out in one piece.
Rambeaux

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Mar 11, 2014
I've got a great idea! Why not invite some major auto manufacturers to come into the city to provide good paying industrial jobs for the people?
Amused

Pleasanton, CA

#18 Mar 12, 2014
<quoted text>well if they have the talent and brain power you talk about they haven't been using it in America for the past 150 years.

show us the brains....
I beg to differ with you sir. Look at the great job of diplomacy and media relations Dennis Rodman accomplished on his last visit to see his buddy in North Korea.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#19 Mar 12, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ with you sir. Look at the great job of diplomacy and media relations Dennis Rodman accomplished on his last visit to see his buddy in North Korea.
if dennis rodman or obozo is the best blacks can do that would explain why the black community is in such sad shape all morons out of touch with reality living there.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#20 Mar 12, 2014
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you profess to be blind or ignorant.
Detroit black communities problems go way beyond "ISSUES"

Lets turn this question around, what positive things can you tell us about what blacks doing in Detroit? Or in any major American city?

Caution here , Hiding drug sale profits from the man or not paying taxes on drug sales doesn't count.

going thought lots of 9 MM ammo each week doesn't count either. High body counts are a out also

speaking of which several thousands of blacks have been killed in Chicago in the past ten years with no arrest or very few in relation to the high death count. Black must be very proud of that.

See its easy to poke fun at the black community in America cause they are just so out of touch with reality. a subculture . You don't see this violent behavior in other ethnic or racial communities. so why does it occur in da hood?

We Lithuanians don't kill our own my friends in other communities don't carry guns to the movies.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#21 Mar 12, 2014
High Ranking Official wrote:
Detroit's finished. No one in America has decades of patience to invest in a craphole anymore. Detroit needs to get ahead of it by turning itself into a real world weekend warrior battle zone where the challenge is to check out in one piece.
The majority population of the city has demonstrated they are not worthy of the trust of the rest of the country.

who wants to live or work with a people who kill their own people even babies , do not value human or animal life burn loot destroy their own cities?

Taylor, MI

#22 Mar 12, 2014
<quoted text>
I agree with you profess to be blind or ignorant.
Detroit black communities problems go way beyond "ISSUES"
Lets turn this question around, what positive things can you tell us about what blacks doing in Detroit? Or in any major American city?

Well I have answered this question before but it never satisfies people like you.

See its easy to poke fun at the black community in America cause they are just so out of touch with reality.

And this statement says a bit about your character and mindset. You look down on other people because somehow Lithuanians don't hurt, rob, or kill each other right?

You don't see this violent behavior in other ethnic or racial communities. so why does it occur in da hood?

Well that is a massive over-generalization and you know it. "[D]a hood" crime and violent behavior just gets more airtime.

We Lithuanians don't kill our own my friends in other communities don't carry guns to the movies.

Riiiiiiight.
There are many positive things happening in the city of Detroit. Google "positive Detroit" and, for a moment, try and think outside of your strongly entrenched racial prejudice to see the good things in Detroit that never makes the news. The black folk who do work hard, who do take care of their property, who do pay their taxes, and who want the best for their community.

And as I've told white people before, enjoy your white privilege and white supremacy while it lasts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Detroit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Squatters locked out of abandoned Detroit school 6 hr reality is a crutch 1
Detroit Mother Collapses, Dies While Filming Da... 6 hr reality is a crutch 1
The Mayor of Detroit is Wrong, Here is a Better... (Feb '10) 14 hr Tony 359
Tracking down illegal dumpers in Detroit 17 hr Steve 1
Witnesses describe robbery of murdered teens 19 hr Seven 6
Texas teen's parents fear foul play in Detroit Fri reality is a crutch 1
Few residents want to discuss Gibraltar's role ... (Oct '07) Fri daniel szabo 9
Detroit Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web