Ann Arbor VAMC- worst post-op treatment

Ann Arbor VAMC- worst post-op treatment

Posted in the Detroit Forum

vetsmedicalcente r

Comstock Park, MI

#1 Mar 3, 2014
At the Ann Arbor V.A. hospital I had single bypass heart surgery. The operation went well. I am thankful for the great job of the operating room staff ! However while in the recovery room, my urine catheter (condom type) came off. Still half dazed from the anesthetic, I called for 6 hours for a nurse to bring me a urinal and re-attach my catheter. The nurses "rewarded" my pleas for assistance by closing my room door and ignoring me. After 6 hours I was forced to "reward" the staff by flooding my bed! When two nurses finally entered my room after 6 hours, I could plainly see that they were not at all happy with the mop up job I had left for them. They turned me over on my side to soak up the bed with towels- which was the worst pain I ever experienced in my 70 years of life- having just had my chest torn open and the anesthetic having worn off . Having worked in a hospital recovery room, I know the standard procedure is to monitor, hourly, I.V. input and urine output in the collection bottle. This was ignored in my case.

Before I was discharged, a hospital spokesman came to me and asked me : "Is there any reason why you might consider coming back here at a later date and DOING PHYSICAL HARM to any of our staff ?!" I told her that I am not a violent person when my mind is clear of surgery anesthetic, but at the time I was not being attended to- I may have wished to be able to jump out of my bed and strangle everyone in sight who were wishing me ill !

Now I wonder why she asked me such a question if they have not had patients in the past who felt the had "a score to settle" with the recovery room staff and acted on it !!

I notified TWO V.A. national offices of my experience and have had no replies. I have no idea what I did to deserve such treatment in the recovery room!

My purpose here is to warn others who may find themselves in the Ann Arbor Veterans Administration Medical center RECOVERY ROOM.

I wonder if the fact that my sternum has not fused back together normally after many months and I am still in extreme discomfort and occasional moderate to high pain-has something to do with my sutures coming under extreme stress while being needlessly moved in my bed by those two nurses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Detroit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr Mini mouse 20,637
General Motors Pontiac Stamping Plant 19 hr Amberstarr 1
News Detroit seeks proposals to add housing in Midto... 21 hr WATCHING LIVONIA 2
News Low performing Detroit schools could close 23 hr former democrat 1
I hate all white people. They all are like Trump Wed Philbert 16
Top Five Analingus Tips (Sep '08) Wed Got Rice 41
News Tips Sought In Case Of Unidentified Body Found ... Wed former democrat 1

Detroit Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Detroit Mortgages