Detroit voters elect 1st white mayor in 4 decades

Nov 6, 2013 Full story: Sunherald.com 15

Unofficial general election results Tuesday night showed Duggan defeating Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon 55 percent to 45 percent with all of the city's 614 precincts reporting.

Full Story
Obskeptic

Detroit, MI

#2 Nov 6, 2013
I'm kind of bummed this is all over. I was really enjoying Benny's campaign strategy that we usually see turned on republicans, calling his opponent a liar and a crook. The adds on Mildred's show were especially enjoyable. Now we are going to have to settle for the ugly reality of Mike actually fixing broken government and making things work better in the city. What a shame that Detroiter's would have to suffer such a fate. And to think almost one hundred black "churches" refused to let Mike in their doors to speak to their congregation because he's a white guy, but they did welcome Benny. Subjective christianity, or just blatant racism? Congratulations Detroit!
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#3 Nov 6, 2013
Obskeptic wrote:
I'm kind of bummed this is all over. I was really enjoying Benny's campaign strategy that we usually see turned on republicans, calling his opponent a liar and a crook. The adds on Mildred's show were especially enjoyable. Now we are going to have to settle for the ugly reality of Mike actually fixing broken government and making things work better in the city. What a shame that Detroiter's would have to suffer such a fate. And to think almost one hundred black "churches" refused to let Mike in their doors to speak to their congregation because he's a white guy, but they did welcome Benny. Subjective christianity, or just blatant racism? Congratulations Detroit!
but that has been the problem in Detroit and other cities with large black populations for 50 years.

The black community votes as a block for black democrats ignoring other possibilities in the voting booth.

blacks just don't realize they are being used by black democrats.

Blacks need to ask them selves this question.' Is life in the black community better now than it was 40 or 50 years ago?

By any objective standard the answer is no, in fact I would argue life in black communities is so bad even blacks are leaving.

so why keep voting for the same lame old black democrats? its insanity to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

But blacks have never been accused of being smart..........
David Gagne

Buenos Aires, Argentina

#4 Nov 6, 2013
No honey - no funny!
Pierre

Romulus, MI

#5 Nov 6, 2013
The bankruptcy is over !
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#6 Nov 6, 2013
Pierre wrote:
The bankruptcy is over !
but the question on the table remains who is going to pay this huge bill Detroit has run up.
The population which is largely welfare queens, black drug dealers, illegal immigrants working under the table and lots of unemployed people who just don't ,won't or can't pay taxes and can't support a city financially.
The population certainly can not support the rebuilding of Detroit.
The over taxing over regulating of business created by detroit city hall will never bring back or attract the business base needed to rebuild the city with jobs and taxes.
so whom is left to pay the freight for this fiscal mess??
Pete

Livonia, MI

#7 Nov 6, 2013
Obskeptic wrote:
I'm kind of bummed this is all over. I was really enjoying Benny's campaign strategy that we usually see turned on republicans, calling his opponent a liar and a crook. The adds on Mildred's show were especially enjoyable. Now we are going to have to settle for the ugly reality of Mike actually fixing broken government and making things work better in the city. What a shame that Detroiter's would have to suffer such a fate. And to think almost one hundred black "churches" refused to let Mike in their doors to speak to their congregation because he's a white guy, but they did welcome Benny. Subjective christianity, or just blatant racism? Congratulations Detroit!
The Mildred Gaddis show has become totally racist compared to the past. I suspect the management has tightened up financially and she feels the need to protect her job by satisfying the customers (black audience). Every effort was made to push Benny and knock Duggan. We know where Angelo Henderson's vote went too, but he did provide lots of equal time for Mike Duggan and Mike used every minute of it. You can be sure they stacked negative calls. Mike handled them well. "If it means more to you where someone lived than what they can do for you, I'm not your man." In the end voters decided that Benny's mom's character reference was not enough to assure success.
Obskeptic

Detroit, MI

#8 Nov 6, 2013
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mildred Gaddis show has become totally racist compared to the past. I suspect the management has tightened up financially and she feels the need to protect her job by satisfying the customers (black audience). Every effort was made to push Benny and knock Duggan. We know where Angelo Henderson's vote went too, but he did provide lots of equal time for Mike Duggan and Mike used every minute of it. You can be sure they stacked negative calls. Mike handled them well. "If it means more to you where someone lived than what they can do for you, I'm not your man." In the end voters decided that Benny's mom's character reference was not enough to assure success.
Mildred has become a caricature of what she believes a "civil rights" crusader is. We all know just how decent, honest, and hard working all black folk are, and how unfair and racist our white society is to the poor blacks. They are all just good, christian family people who are being treated so unfairly. Especially all that crime, drugs, and illegitimate churldren those racist, evil white people subject them all too. Nothing is more impordent to Mildred then to tell the truth about America to her black brothers and sisters, and that annual bus ride to Carolina to protest like Martin did about that racist symbol of the south that exist on their flag. You go girl! LOL!!

Since: Nov 11

Taylor, MI

#9 Nov 7, 2013
Obskeptic wrote:
I'm kind of bummed this is all over. I was really enjoying Benny's campaign strategy that we usually see turned on republicans, calling his opponent a liar and a crook. The adds on Mildred's show were especially enjoyable. Now we are going to have to settle for the ugly reality of Mike actually fixing broken government and making things work better in the city. What a shame that Detroiter's would have to suffer such a fate. And to think almost one hundred black "churches" refused to let Mike in their doors to speak to their congregation because he's a white guy, but they did welcome Benny. Subjective christianity, or just blatant racism? Congratulations Detroit!
It is sad that some Detroiters still pulled the race card. However, many Detroit voters were in favor of Mr. Duggan without regard to his skin color. My great uncle and his wife voted for him. They reside in East English Village. Many of their neighbors had "Vote Duggan" signs on their beautiful lawns.
Obskeptic

Detroit, MI

#10 Nov 9, 2013
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is sad that some Detroiters still pulled the race card. However, many Detroit voters were in favor of Mr. Duggan without regard to his skin color. My great uncle and his wife voted for him. They reside in East English Village. Many of their neighbors had "Vote Duggan" signs on their beautiful lawns.
I get that K. Duggan could never have been elected mayor without a majority of the black vote, just like Barry could never have been elected president without the white vote he received. The ones who exclusively vote race are the ones with that nose ring in place so they can be manipulated and led to water, or the "proper candidate". Mildred appeals to those racists now with her show. She is too cowardice to even take my call anymore because I'm a white conservative, and run intellectual rings around her and the idiots like John or Helen Moore.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#11 Nov 9, 2013
White people who still believe in that out dated racist line "they voted for him because he was (insert color) are ignorant.

You don't need to be a rocket science to vote. People vote for who they want and the reason why they voted for a particular candidate is none of anybody's business. You can't possible prove someone voted because the candidate was black or white.

You read all this BS about being an informed voter blah blah blah. You hear the candidates speak and you vote. You don't need a college education to vote. Voting is nothing more than an opinion on record.

Your individual vote don't mean squat, it never did. It's the majority that get counted and when one side wins, you STFU and accept the decision.

Saying that because someone wears a nose ring it means they are uninformed or racist is ignorant. The crack head is allowed to have an opinion and FYI, your opinion is no more important than his.

If you really think your so called "informed vote" (based on reading idiot blogs) is better or more accurate than anybody else, you are wrong and stupid. Voting is easy, the problem is the more informed people try to be the more bias their decision will be. The web is full of propaganda websites for each side. All I need to know about a candidate I can gain by watching and hearing the candidates speak and I usually can tell within the first 3-5 mins. I also never stick to any one party, I vote for whoever I want, dem, rep, etc, black, white, asian, hispanic.

Judge people, not words and don't waste your time reading propaganda info it will only rot your brain. Technically, the only sure way to know someone is to meet them and spend time with them. Without this, you are in the dark about everything and the best you got is an opinion and not a valid one at that.

So all you who voted for the other guy and lost, wahh wahh, it doesn't matter who you vote for, just as long as you vote. Everybody's vote matters, even the snot nose crack smoking kid with the nose ring.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#12 Nov 9, 2013
Turning Detroit around will be like trying to pump oats up a dead horse's butt and getting him to stand unless STRONG actions are implemented like Lee Iacocca used at Chrysler to bring them back to life. Unless there is a total housecleaning, nothing will change except for the worse. We'll see.
Obskeptic

Birmingham, MI

#13 Nov 10, 2013
snapcracklepop wrote:
White people who still believe in that out dated racist line "they voted for him because he was (insert color) are ignorant.
You don't need to be a rocket science to vote. People vote for who they want and the reason why they voted for a particular candidate is none of anybody's business. You can't possible prove someone voted because the candidate was black or white.
You read all this BS about being an informed voter blah blah blah. You hear the candidates speak and you vote. You don't need a college education to vote. Voting is nothing more than an opinion on record.
Your individual vote don't mean squat, it never did. It's the majority that get counted and when one side wins, you STFU and accept the decision.
Saying that because someone wears a nose ring it means they are uninformed or racist is ignorant. The crack head is allowed to have an opinion and FYI, your opinion is no more important than his.
If you really think your so called "informed vote" (based on reading idiot blogs) is better or more accurate than anybody else, you are wrong and stupid. Voting is easy, the problem is the more informed people try to be the more bias their decision will be. The web is full of propaganda websites for each side. All I need to know about a candidate I can gain by watching and hearing the candidates speak and I usually can tell within the first 3-5 mins. I also never stick to any one party, I vote for whoever I want, dem, rep, etc, black, white, asian, hispanic.
Judge people, not words and don't waste your time reading propaganda info it will only rot your brain. Technically, the only sure way to know someone is to meet them and spend time with them. Without this, you are in the dark about everything and the best you got is an opinion and not a valid one at that.
So all you who voted for the other guy and lost, wahh wahh, it doesn't matter who you vote for, just as long as you vote. Everybody's vote matters, even the snot nose crack smoking kid with the nose ring.
Obviously you never listen to the Mildred Gaddis Show on 1200 AM. I was referring to HER racist black agenda and the premise that is promoted on her show that only black people can lead black people. That only black people can educate black people. That only white people can be racists. You are so smart Mr. Cracklepop. I'm very happy for you!
Meanie

Ferndale, MI

#14 Nov 10, 2013
Obskeptic wrote:
You are so smart Mr. Cracklepop. I'm very happy for you!
I'm willing to bet that was very difficult to write without laughing your ass off.
Meanie

Ferndale, MI

#15 Nov 10, 2013
snapcracklepop wrote:
White people who still believe in that out dated racist line "they voted for him because he was (insert color) are ignorant.
You don't need to be a rocket science to vote. People vote for who they want and the reason why they voted for a particular candidate is none of anybody's business. You can't possible prove someone voted because the candidate was black or white.
You read all this BS about being an informed voter blah blah blah. You hear the candidates speak and you vote. You don't need a college education to vote. Voting is nothing more than an opinion on record.
Your individual vote don't mean squat, it never did. It's the majority that get counted and when one side wins, you STFU and accept the decision.
Saying that because someone wears a nose ring it means they are uninformed or racist is ignorant. The crack head is allowed to have an opinion and FYI, your opinion is no more important than his.
If you really think your so called "informed vote" (based on reading idiot blogs) is better or more accurate than anybody else, you are wrong and stupid. Voting is easy, the problem is the more informed people try to be the more bias their decision will be. The web is full of propaganda websites for each side. All I need to know about a candidate I can gain by watching and hearing the candidates speak and I usually can tell within the first 3-5 mins. I also never stick to any one party, I vote for whoever I want, dem, rep, etc, black, white, asian, hispanic.
Judge people, not words and don't waste your time reading propaganda info it will only rot your brain. Technically, the only sure way to know someone is to meet them and spend time with them. Without this, you are in the dark about everything and the best you got is an opinion and not a valid one at that.
So all you who voted for the other guy and lost, wahh wahh, it doesn't matter who you vote for, just as long as you vote. Everybody's vote matters, even the snot nose crack smoking kid with the nose ring.
I'm sure you require the need to pat your own back due to the obvious nobody else does it to you. I'm willing to bet it's because they also know you're a lying coward.

Since: Nov 11

Farmington, MI

#16 Nov 10, 2013
Just read in the Free Press: "....the political consultant who has analyzed Detroit's election results, said Duggan piled up votes in areas that should have been Napoleon's sweet spot. Where voters are older, more heavily female and more likely to be African-American,.......Napole on should have been golden. Political consultant Eric Foster also said: "It backs up the idea that voters weren't voting on simple candidate identification. The ones who participate are making a more community- or neighborhood-based decision."

Interesting statement for all the presumptuous suburbanites lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Detroit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aryan nation ! 1 hr Feliz Navidad 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Sheboon 19,565
I still love Kwame Kilpatrick; 5 hr Meanie 2
I want to die New Years Eve ? 5 hr Government-Foe 1
DDays: Memorable happenings from 2014 11 hr Free Kwame 1
Děscount Kětchén UK 11 hr Rintada 1
Photos of life at Eloise, the former psychiatri... 23 hr kev 1
Detroit Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Detroit People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Detroit News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Detroit

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:56 am PST

ESPN10:56AM
Pettine: Manziel will get chance to compete
NBC Sports11:18 AM
Rookie Shaw excited about chance to start for Browns - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report12:11 PM
NFL Odds: Opening Spreads for Week 17 Betting
NBC Sports 1:46 PM
Mike Pettine: Our first-round picks aren't busts
NBC Sports 3:09 PM
Lions head to house of horrors in Green Bay - NBC Sports