Old evidence at new trial

An Adams County judge Thursday ruled that notes and blood evidence taken by a now-dead investigator at a murder scene 25 years ago can be used in the case against Troy Brownlow. Full Story
Chris Denver Colorado

AOL

#21 Jun 5, 2006
Yes, you might say you feel bad for the family, but you I assume were not here in 1980, All of Thornton High School, and everyone in the community was DEVISTATED!! Nini was a very close friend of mine, and it was like everyones world was put on hold, afraid to turn a corner, always looking over a shoulder, I was only 15 at the time and T.B. was 16, if he was trying to save her, WHY THE HELL DID HE NOT TELL ANYONE????? It was the talk of the town for a very long time, anyone in their right mind would have to tell someone..Then I heard T.B. even spoke to Deanna at the 10 year reunion....I am sorry but in my eyes he is ONE SICK INDIVIDUAL..BUT the real question WHY WAS HE THERE??????
Shirley Horn

Aurora, CO

#22 Jun 6, 2006
You know what, we will never know what kind of person our Nini would be like, we will never know if she would have children of her own, I know one thing for sure she was taken from us way to early and someone needs to held responsible for that. Troy knew what happened that night and never said a word about it, what in hell is up with that? WHY! He is guilty because he kept it a secret.
Shirley Horn

Aurora, CO

#23 Jun 6, 2006
You know what else, He probably would have never said anything if it had'nt been for them matching his DNA to her cold case. He probably would have taken it to the grave with him! Get it, DNA does not LIE!
GOD works in mysterious ways that you can bet on.
AGS

Denver, CO

#24 Jun 6, 2006
To Laura Cleveland and Laine -
I can only assume that you are not attorneys based on the ignorance of your statements. First, prior convictions will only be allowed into evidence to impeach the credibility of the defendant should he take the stand to testify on his own behalf. Prior convictions can never be used to show conformance with character. Second, the prosecution is not lying on the stand. The prosecution does not take the stand and they are only presenting their case through physical, demonstrative, and oral testimony. Furthermore, the prosecution has not begun to present their case as jury selection was held on Monday. You both obviously have sympathies with the defendant and you are letting that cloud your judgement before any evidence has even been presented by either side. True, before any evidence has been presented, the defendant is innocent. But it is very important to keep an open mind and weigh the evidence only after all of it has been presented. Moreover, media reports are a particularly bad source of information with which to pass judgement. I'm not saying that the trial will necessarily be entirely fair and impartial. Things happen that are not necessarily within the control of the judge. Our society values liberty above nearly all else. That is why we have an extremely thorough criminal appeal process.
Laura Cleveland

Tucson, AZ

#25 Jun 6, 2006
The court has already let out Troy's prior convictions! There was a printed timeline of convictions in the paper shortly after he was picked up last year. I'm sure theres not alot of people in Denver that haven't heard or read about it. Also AGS, how do you know who is lying and telling the truth, have you been to the pre-trial hearings in Judge Crabtrees courtroom? I think that is where Laine meant they were lying. The trial could not be fair because it has already been said that the "cold case is solved" Troy's name and face have already been plastered under "killer". I've tried not to be sympathetic so much for Troy but a little realistic and I know the evidence is strong against him just from what we've heard but also I know we haven't heard much from him about his side. I want to know very badly his side. Then I will make my decision as to where I stand. I do truly believe however that if I was a family member or friend of the Grimes or prosecution, detectives or police at the time of the murder, I would have already convicted TROY in my mind the moment he was matched through DNA. Why? I would want someone to pay, and I would want this over a.s.a.p!!! Nope, I'm not an attorney! Laine? However, you should not draw the conclusion that I'm NOT an attorney by ignorance in my statements!!!
AGS

Denver, CO

#26 Jun 6, 2006
The court didn't publish his prior convictions. The court, to my knowledge, does not publish the Rocky Mountain News. Those convictions are public record. Regardless, the jury cannot consider those convictions in their decision. He is not being tried for those crimes again and cannot be expected to have to defend himself against them. However, the jury can consider whether or not they want to believe the testimony of someone who has been convicted of five previous crimes. They may not consider that someone who committed felony menacing in 2000 (or any of the other 4 prior convictions) is more likely to have committed murder 25 years ago. Also, I am sure that there are plenty of people in the Denver Metro Area who have heard nothing of this case. If I was the defense attorney, I would make sure that none of those people were on my jury. Also, you misunderstand my statement regarding the prosecution not lying. I do not know who is lying or who is telling the truth. That was not the gist of my statement. The point is that no witnesses have been called yet. Therefore, no one can possibly be "lying on the stand" to this point. Whether you believe the prosecution's theory of the case or the defense's theory of the case is an entirely different issue. Further, I believe it is fair to draw conclusions based on your analysis of the case. If your only understanding of the law or the procedures involved comes from your general education as a member of the community or from television, then your statements are made in ignorance.
Concerned Citizen

AOL

#27 Jun 6, 2006
Again, please be aware of people who lie....OJ Simpson, Scott Petterson, THE BTK Killer from Kansas.... he was very active in the community, Boy Scout leader and very active with his church. Do you think they were innocent? I believe the man who was idnentified as the BTK killer did finally admit to his crimes. I truly hope that the person responsible for this crime is convicted. If it is not Troy..........hopefully he can direct the authorities to the person responsible?
Laine

Denver, CO

#28 Jun 6, 2006
The trial has begun and understandably it's difficult for the Grimes family to re-live, but please don't think I'm insensitive for the loss your family has suffered then and today. It is a tragedy that such a beautiful person was taken from you. I understand the hate you must feel since the detectives have given you a name and face to hang all your pain and anger. Nanine's life was important and yes she should still be here with her family! That's a fact! But, I have faith that more information will become available through the course of this trial which will draw us a clear picture of the real face and name of the murderer of Nanine.
Laine

Denver, CO

#29 Jun 6, 2006
Thank you AGS for helping all of us ignorant people understand the convoluted and intricate aspect of LAW. I stand corrected! I do admit I thought Judge Crabtree provided fair and impartial instructions to the Jurors without prejudice during Jury Selection held Monday. I do hope the Jurors continue to keep an open mind and not draw any conclusions of this case until all facts can be presented. And by the way AGS, I'm not an Attorney! But I do have the Upmost Respect for the Attorney's that are defending my friend Troy Brownlow!
Laine

Denver, CO

#30 Jun 6, 2006
Laura, please don't give up on Troy! He deserves to family and friends that aren't afraid to stand up for him even during his darkest days!
Laura Cleveland

Tucson, AZ

#31 Jun 7, 2006
THE COURT DOES NOT PUBLISH THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS??? I didn't know that! I'm so happy we have AGS (aka the smartest man/women in the whole world), living only to correct IGNORANT PEOPLE!!!
monica smith comingdeer

Oklahoma City, OK

#32 Jun 7, 2006
Deanna Grimes wrote:
You would think differently if you had found your baby sister not only murdered but mutilated and abolished from the earth with 86 stab wounds. His DNA and her DNA were the only DNA found in my bedroom; go figure. The only problem here is he isn't eligible for capital punishment, where God is the one and only judge.
Deanna, nanine was my dearest childhood friend and for years I cried for the loss of her, never knowing if or when the person would be found. he is found in my opinion and there will be justice. I remember a very beautiful young girl that I met in elementary school. We played jacks and spent the night at each others houses. We would go to Roller city on Friday nights and one time we snuck in the drive in theatre to see the movie Grease thinking that we would be in so much trouble if our Mothers found out. I loved her and never stopped and someone took away her life and for that something will be done, its just a matter of time now. Keep strong and know that there are many of us that never forgot
Shirley Horn

Aurora, CO

#33 Jun 9, 2006
Who was there to stand up for Nanine in her darkest day? No one, she was all alone. Brutely murdered with no one to save her.
Tina McGuire

Arvada, CO

#34 Jun 10, 2006
I am in total support of the Grimes, Shirley and Rod, it is funny how you are so quick to say the witnesses are lying???? mmmm what happend to your quotes of "innocent until proven guilty" you are quick to pass judgement on the witnesses but want to defend Troy with this same quote?... I do feel the pain the Grimes family and friends have suffered as our family has suffered somewhat the same apauling and dispicable crime, who are these people who feel they get to play "God" with our loved ones, I feel justice will provail in the meantime be careful your choice of words as you NEVER really know someone until something like this happens, unfortunately Nanine was too far a trusty and sweet sole she obviously thought she knew her killer as well. Deanne and Family call anytime if you need to my love and prayers are with you and the family, Crystal knows how to reach me if you want - love you all!
Laura

Tucson, AZ

#35 Jun 12, 2006
Laine, can you let me know what is going on at trial? I'm really anxious to hear any new evidence. If you want you can email me at azpatriot154@yahoo.com. I wish I could be there on Troy's side.
Laine

Denver, CO

#36 Jun 12, 2006
There is so much evidence which could help find the murderer that's not been allowed into the court room. I do hope that someday Nanine's murderer will be found. I would think that the Grimes family would be extremely upset with the way the Detectives have mishandled this case. If Troy gets convicted and goes to prison, justice will not be served. Hopefully new evidence can finally present itself and help bring about real justice for the Grimes family. The family and friends of the Brownlows also want the truth to be known for Nanine. I pray for peace for everyone affected on both sides of this tragedy.
Chris Denver Colorado

AOL

#37 Jun 12, 2006
O.k if they have so much evidence that they are not allowing in the court room, how come Mr. Pope had NOTHING to defend his client....Look at the D.A evidence...Thats a pretty strong case.. No other sign of anyone else there,why didn't Troy take the stand and tell us WHY he was there??? This all makes no sence....And at least he could of told someone...Or try to go to the near by hospital for help, use the pay phone to call police???WHY WHY WHY????? NOT SURE IF TROY KNOWS..... BUT ONE DAY HE WILL HAVE TO ANSWER TO GOD.
A first cousin

Denver, CO

#38 Jun 13, 2006
Shirley Horn wrote:
Who was there to stand up for Nanine in her darkest day? No one, she was all alone. Brutely murdered with no one to save her.
Shirley: How are you related to Nini? I don't recall your name or seeing you when we were growing up with Nini.
Shirley Horn

Aurora, CO

#39 Jun 13, 2006
My maiden is Shirley Jo Garcia I was always with Nini& Deanna. My mother was Shirley Anne, Uncle Dicky's sister whom also has passed on. I just got the news, they found him guilty! They will sentence him at 3:00 this afternoon
Shirley Horn

Aurora, CO

#40 Jun 13, 2006
A first cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
Shirley: How are you related to Nini? I don't recall your name or seeing you when we were growing up with Nini.
My maiden name is Shirley Jo Garcia, My mother was Shirley Anne Grimes the sister of uncle Dicky.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 1 hr Respect71 12,525
Review: Amerimax Windows (Jul '10) 7 hr Jon 33
Play the "end of the word" game (Jul '11) 8 hr joanNYadoptees 4,215
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 9 hr Wondering 3,291
COMFORT DENTAL ....How Many of you feel Ripped ... (Apr '08) 19 hr Tooth Fairy 80
ISSL - Bushes legacy. What is the lure? Tue Kawalski 1
last post wins! (Feb '11) Mon mr goodwrench 24,651
•••
•••
•••

Denver Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Denver People Search