Douglas County puts new curfew into p...

Douglas County puts new curfew into place

There are 64 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Jul 27, 2007, titled Douglas County puts new curfew into place. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

" If your child is under 18, they have to be home by midnight on the weekends. Minors in Douglas County are now facing a new curfew.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

right-on

Denver, CO

#43 Jul 28, 2007
getalife wrote:
<quoted text>Minors have no rights.
Well said
John M

Louisville, CO

#44 Jul 28, 2007
Douglas County, specifically the 18th Judicial District, if full off a bunch of crap-for-brains idiots.

Their probation department alone couldn't equal one full functioning brain.

The p.o's there believe that people can't fool polygraphs but they never even ask if any of their charges were in the Special Ops. One of the things we learn is how to "beat the box."
Just me

Denver, CO

#45 Jul 28, 2007
John M wrote:
Douglas County, specifically the 18th Judicial District, if full off a bunch of crap-for-brains idiots.
Their probation department alone couldn't equal one full functioning brain.
The p.o's there believe that people can't fool polygraphs but they never even ask if any of their charges were in the Special Ops. One of the things we learn is how to "beat the box."
The 18th Judicial District must train with the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department, and Aurora is the ring leader...... Mayberry RFD, look out!
Elsie

Denver, CO

#46 Jul 28, 2007
THC wrote:
Ma'am, i don't pretend to be an exemplary parent, i work and extend any opportunity to be an exemplary parent. I don't know you, but your satist remarks about something so positive disgusts me and obviously others. Keep your negativity and support to disarm freedom from family to yourself. I'm done with you ! I appreciate the others for their support to my SUGGESTION, not LAW !
My apologies for jerking your chain. I don't understand what "i work and extend any opportunity to be an exemplary parent" means, nor do I know what "satist" means. However, I gather that "keep your negativity...to yourself" is an indication that you wish to hear only from those who wholly agree with you...that, you will have to do for yourself by monitoring what you read. I believe in curfews and curfew enforcement, and I believe in them because I believe kids should be kept off the streets at night. I don't believe that makes me an awful person. Many parents do not enforce curfews in their homes, and I have no problem with law enforcement stepping in to do it on their behalf. I'm sorry you find that so utterly "disgusting", and I'm really surprised by the apparent rancor this topic generates in you. Thus,*sob*, I must say that I am Done with You as well. LOL.
Betty

Denver, CO

#47 Jul 28, 2007
Scott wrote:
I love how everyone from places other than Douglas county post messages about how parents in Douglas county can't handle their children. For those of you in Aurora and Denver posting these commments...take a look in your own backyard. There are a lot worse things happening in your counties with minors after curfew. Not all parents in Douglas or any other county for that matter need a law but curfews have been around forever and that aren't bad back-up for parents. If you have a teenager, you know that even the best kids can have a lapse in judgement. This law is there to remind kids and assist parents and other residents. As you can see every county around here has a curfew law. This just seems like a prefect opportunity for those outside Douglas county to take a pot shot at the "perceived" spoiled, rich kids.
No, it's just that we know the parents in DC are too stupid to know how to use a computer.
Dani

Aurora, CO

#48 Jul 29, 2007
ELSIE - I understand where you're coming from when you say that you like the curfew both as extra support and as a means to deal with people who are not paying attention to your kids. The reason I think curfew laws are not the answer is because they are laws without teeth. Parents who are not paying attention still don't have any incentive to do so with curfew laws. When their kid is arrested or ticketed, these types of parents continue to act as victims of their kids' behaviour. They don't get it. If they did, they would be maintaining control and discipline in the first place. Until parents are made legally and financially responsible for the actions of their kids, these parents will continue to throw their hands up in supposed frustration. When the buck stops with them, I'm sure their me-me-me brains will suddenly get it. In the meantime, officers are wasting their time and resources when there are much more important things to deal with.
TeamGooD

Broomfield, CO

#49 Jul 29, 2007
i was chasing naner
Alex

Englewood, CO

#50 Aug 2, 2007
Ok so i am a 17 year old girl. Whe a midnight new movie comes out me and my friend Ashley ALWAYS go to see it at midnight. Its a tradittion that we have aquired over the years of knowing each other. Now that this new law is inforced we cant do that and i think that sucks. I think that you should be able to prove that you are coming and going from somewhere and show that to the police. Like if you were at a movie, you show them your ticket and that proves to them that you wre not just loitering around the town.
john

San Francisco, CA

#51 Jan 16, 2008
i dont like this law at all
john

San Francisco, CA

#52 Jan 16, 2008
this law is good
chian

Eastlake, CO

#53 Jan 16, 2008
herrow
chian

Eastlake, CO

#54 Jan 16, 2008
so
chian

Eastlake, CO

#55 Jan 16, 2008
any bady their
D-town chick

United States

#56 Feb 13, 2008
I think all u ppl talkin bad about doulas need 2 just shut ^ because u don't even know what goes on here
bingo

Twin Lakes, CO

#57 Feb 14, 2008
It doesn't matter what county or city is mentioned, teens hanging out at night are a problem. There are always exceptions, but a group of kids with nothing to do at night will no doubt find something to do to get in trouble. It doesn't matter if it's Douglas County, Jefferson County, or Broomfield County. I live in Adams County, and can't believe how many kids hang out on the bike path and along the south platte after midnight. Even on school nights. Where's the parents?
wow

Longmont, CO

#58 Jun 13, 2008
HOLY F*** i was looking up what the curfew law is and wow i think everyone of you seriously needs to get a f***ing grip on reality.
i'm 16 and i dont think every teenager should be put into a group of vandalizing mischevious hoodlums who have to be watched every minute of the day AND night.
You want to discipline us huh? are you really going to spank a 16 year old BILL?????? if you tried to he/she'd probably punch your lights out. harsh discipline is not the answer nor is violence.
as far as the curfew goes, what if my friends and i want to go midnight bowling since its 1/2 price? or see a midnight showing of a big new movie on a thursday night? or just go ovr to someone else's house to spend the night? there ARE legitimate reasons for the under 18 crowd to be out past mightnight.
also, just because you're over 18 doesnt mean you're not going to do the same stupid shit your all bitching about. i doubt most home invasions/burgularies that happen at night are committed by people under 18.
i think you all need to open your eyes

“This too shall pass”

Level 1

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#59 Jun 14, 2008
teenage rage, gotta love the lack of emotional control.

This part made me laugh:
"i think everyone of you seriously needs to get a f***ing grip on reality. i'm 16..." Kid, 16 year olds don't yet have a clue of the reality around them.

Regarding "what if my friends and i want to go midnight bowling since its 1/2 price? or see a midnight showing of a big new movie on a thursday night?". I guess you'll have to take a parent or guardian along with you. Or work harder on your paper route so you can pay for full price bowling. lol

"just because you're over 18 doesnt mean you're not going to do the same stupid $hit your all bitching about" You were so close!! You used the correct "you're" twice in a row and the you blew it with that last incorrect "your" at the end!

Stay in school and get to bed early kid. You'll be 18 soon enough. and then you'll blink and be in your late 30s responding to some stranger on an internet forum before getting your kids ready for soccer practice.
Art

San Diego, CA

#60 Jun 22, 2008
Ok, first of all, I am legally a minor in the process of being "Emancipated" and I've easily earned the trust from my parents. Recently I was stopped and arrested for walking home at about midnight from my girlfriends house because i missed the last bus of the night. My parents don't drive (because of medical reasons) and my girlfriend's parents drink, so i decided that walking was much safer. So my question to whomever is willing to answer, were my actions justifies and should i ave been arrested?
Drache

San Diego, CA

#61 Jun 23, 2008
Hey jason, take it easy on the kid. I'm sure you're not a perfect languist yourself.
Besides, I completely agree with him. I remember being 16, lots to do and the really fun stuff wasn't until after dark. By the time i was 13 i was practically taking care of myself. I just guess some parents don't know how to stop babying their kids and stop being such control freaks.
Honestly, as long as they're home in time to get enough sleep to make it through school the next day I'm completely cool with it..
Drache

San Diego, CA

#62 Jun 23, 2008
Dani wrote:
ELSIE - I understand where you're coming from when you say that you like the curfew both as extra support and as a means to deal with people who are not paying attention to your kids. The reason I think curfew laws are not the answer is because they are laws without teeth. Parents who are not paying attention still don't have any incentive to do so with curfew laws. When their kid is arrested or ticketed, these types of parents continue to act as victims of their kids' behaviour. They don't get it. If they did, they would be maintaining control and discipline in the first place. Until parents are made legally and financially responsible for the actions of their kids, these parents will continue to throw their hands up in supposed frustration. When the buck stops with them, I'm sure their me-me-me brains will suddenly get it. In the meantime, officers are wasting their time and resources when there are much more important things to deal with.
I've grown up on both sides of the track (when it comes to being handled, raised, or brought up), and the word discipline only came out of the mouth of the most unstable people around me. Yes children need to know the write from wrong, but when you start talking of your children as if they're animals that need to be properly raised I actually feel sorry for your children and for any child of a parent who thinks the same.
I learned a lot in my first couple years of school (the only important ones), that you treat others as you yourself want to be treated.
Do you epect your children to start disciplining you? I agree though that it is sad that local and state police have to get involved over teens being out late, if there's a crime then yes, take care of it, but to deny the night to those just out for a stroll in good company is just not cool. Kinda sounds like punishmen before or even without crime ever happening to me. And to those out in DC, just read and laugh at those people who critisize and spit out suggestions of how to keep things under control, because they themselves are not perfect and until they are, they should take a good look around them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 1 hr tbird19482 27,195
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr TomInElPaso 45,145
Effects from the recent decline in oil prices (May '15) 10 hr Kent 26
Mayor Hancok/Sheriff White have blood on their ... 11 hr Leroll 2
Mayor Hancock and His Sanctuary City Democrat B... 11 hr Leroll 3
News Kathy Sabine (Sep '07) 11 hr Samatha 112
News Governor, Denver mayor welcome dozens of new re... 22 hr EmotionalCowardsh... 5

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages