Utility asks to raise natural gas rates by 19 percent

Jul 20, 2008 Full story: www.9news.com 31

Natural gas users served by Xcel Energy will pay 19 percent more next month if the Colorado Public Utilities Commission approves a rate hike request.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“It's pronounced DAG-uth.”

Since: Jun 07

Windsor, CO

#1 Jul 20, 2008
So who does Xcel get THEIR natural gas from?

“Does not play well with others”

Since: Apr 07

Longmont, CO

#2 Jul 22, 2008
"Natural gas users served by Xcel Energy..."

Like there's any other option for natural gas besides Xcel.

Windsor, CO

#3 Jul 23, 2008
CAUTION wrote:
"Natural gas users served by Xcel Energy..."
Like there's any other option for natural gas besides Xcel.
Actually, there are quite a few. But, they're small companies. I learned this when I was trying to find cable companies other than the big ones. There are lots of tiny ones that have great service and prices, but the big ones advertise more and hoard the market. It also depends on where you live.

“Survived one more day!!!”

Since: Jun 08

Denver

#4 Jul 23, 2008
I notice that there's nothing on this board about the 47,00 people that Xcel plans to turn off for non-payment of their bills. Maybe people wouldn't have such a hard time of paying their bills if Xcel didn't constantly raise the prices, it seems that everytime you turn around, Xcel is asking for a rate hike from the PUC.

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx...

this is the article for their latest tactic to threaten people into paying for their overpriced company. We desperately need regulation again, this privatization of utility companies isn't working, please bring back Public Service Company of Colorado!!! Xcel sucks!!!
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#5 Jul 23, 2008
Bi-racial and proud wrote:
I notice that there's nothing on this board about the 47,00 people that Xcel plans to turn off for non-payment of their bills. Maybe people wouldn't have such a hard time of paying their bills if Xcel didn't constantly raise the prices, it seems that everytime you turn around, Xcel is asking for a rate hike from the PUC.
http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx...
this is the article for their latest tactic to threaten people into paying for their overpriced company. We desperately need regulation again, this privatization of utility companies isn't working, please bring back Public Service Company of Colorado!!! Xcel sucks!!!
Try www.coseia.org ; they have information on solar in Colorado and even XCEL has a rebate program.

Denver

#6 Jul 24, 2008
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text> Try www.coseia.org ; they have information on solar in Colorado and even XCEL has a rebate program.
Thank you for the information but I live in an apartment, the apartment building's jurisdiction is controlled by XCEL, I have to use them for energy whether I like it or not. BTW, they just asked for another rate hike from the PUC.

“Does not play well with others”

Since: Apr 07

Longmont, CO

#7 Jul 24, 2008
Dagoth wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, there are quite a few. But, they're small companies. I learned this when I was trying to find cable companies other than the big ones. There are lots of tiny ones that have great service and prices, but the big ones advertise more and hoard the market. It also depends on where you live.
Really? I may have to look into that. Any idea the best place to start looking? I'm guessing internet but I'm always afraid I'll end up thinking I've found a good company and end up getting ripped off royally.

Windsor, CO

#8 Jul 24, 2008
CAUTION wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I may have to look into that. Any idea the best place to start looking? I'm guessing internet but I'm always afraid I'll end up thinking I've found a good company and end up getting ripped off royally.
I used the Internet for my research. The only problem is that with the small companies, they try to rip you off and hide it from you. At least Xcel rips you off and tells you about it. It's kind of hit and miss.
david01

Boulder, CO

#9 Jul 28, 2008
hey everyone read your bill on the back and see how xSTEAL energy screws everyone!!!!!!! your actual usage is less than what they charge for the right to use there electricity!!!!! what a bunch of crap!!!!! i wonder if the puc of colorado know this...(even if the jellyfish did know they do not have the guts and character to do anything about it)
david01

Boulder, CO

#10 Jul 28, 2008
go to progressnow.com and voice your opinions!!!!!!!
david01

Boulder, CO

#11 Jul 31, 2008
xcel i have been told has no choice in raising the rates (B.S.) because they do not regulate the increases.... (LOAD OF CRAP) This is what cheri monaghan at the puc (POLITICAL ROBOT)stated to me in an email... I was also told that insulating the house(AVOID THE QUESTION)is a good way to cut down on costs... I was also told the ECA (ELEC COMMODITY ADJ. CEO'S RESORT EXPENSES) was legit and necessary increases (RAM THE CONSUMER IN THE REAR..) have been needed because of all the costs to transport these services to us has increased(IN OTHER WORDS XSTEAL IS SAYING SCREW YOU WE CAN DO WHAT WE WANT WHEN WE WANT AND THE GUTLESS PUC OF COWARDRODO-NEW NAME FOR COLORADO. WILL NOT DO CRAP ABOUT IT)
david01

Boulder, CO

#12 Aug 1, 2008
here is some info about how badly...??? xSTEAL is hurting right now. XCEL PROFITS CLIMB A STAGGERING 53 PER CENT IN SECOND QUARTER ALONE!!! NET INCOME FOR THIS OVERCHARGING MONOPOLY IS UP FROM 68.8 MILLION LAST YEAR TO A WHOPPING 105.6 MILLION THIS YEAR!!!! xSTEAL MAKES MOST OF ITS PROFITS FROM.........:COLORADO!!!!!!!! !! What a shock..... So all these increases are lining the pockets of the ceo's and shareholders of this joke of a company...

Denver

#13 Aug 1, 2008
david01 wrote:
hey everyone read your bill on the back and see how xSTEAL energy screws everyone!!!!!!! your actual usage is less than what they charge for the right to use there electricity!!!!! what a bunch of crap!!!!! i wonder if the puc of colorado know this...(even if the jellyfish did know they do not have the guts and character to do anything about it)
I know that's right, I used $19.00 and got what looked a tax for $16.00, that's as much as my usage!!!

Denver

#14 Aug 1, 2008
david01 wrote:
xcel i have been told has no choice in raising the rates (B.S.) because they do not regulate the increases....(LOAD OF CRAP) This is what cheri monaghan at the puc (POLITICAL ROBOT)stated to me in an email... I was also told that insulating the house(AVOID THE QUESTION)is a good way to cut down on costs... I was also told the ECA (ELEC COMMODITY ADJ. CEO'S RESORT EXPENSES) was legit and necessary increases (RAM THE CONSUMER IN THE REAR..) have been needed because of all the costs to transport these services to us has increased(IN OTHER WORDS XSTEAL IS SAYING SCREW YOU WE CAN DO WHAT WE WANT WHEN WE WANT AND THE GUTLESS PUC OF COWARDRODO-NEW NAME FOR COLORADO. WILL NOT DO CRAP ABOUT IT)
This is what happens when companies that provide public utilities and transporation are outsourced. This sort of problem would have never existed with Public Service Company of Colorado, but now we have a "private company" that is based in I don't know how many states and now they are having trouble financially and the rest of us are screwed.

I worked for Xcel a while back and the first thing that you noticed going into the building is how empty it is. Xcel has spent millions, maybe even billions to "automate" tasks so that they don't have to pay employees and benefits, never realizing that the cost of this technology far outweighs any real benefits.

I was told when I worked there that the first thing that Xcel did when they took over PSCO was to lay off about 30% of the workforce, didn't ask what they did or how they did it, just layed them off. The layoffs caused the employees that were left to form unions, which caused lots of work to not be done as employees spend a huge amount of time filing grievances. Xcel is a very DYSFUNCTIONAL company, I doubt that it will be in business 10 years from now, but I could be wrong.
david01

Boulder, CO

#15 Aug 2, 2008
That is intresting to hear xSTEAL doing bad business decisions.. I just read that for every consumer who gets there service suspended or disconnected that cost is passed onto the rest of us on our bills in a creative way called a surcharge or a tax or some other b.s. way... Im hoping that the state of colorado files suit against xSTEAL as well!
Annette

Denver, CO

#16 Aug 18, 2008
Ugh, just got my first Xcel bill since moving to Denver. I used $58.81 worth of energy but paid $123 in taxes and fees. Are you KIDDING me? Taxes and fees are double the actual energy? How is this possibly legal?
spaulding

Denver, CO

#17 Aug 18, 2008
Annette wrote:
Ugh, just got my first Xcel bill since moving to Denver. I used $58.81 worth of energy but paid $123 in taxes and fees. Are you KIDDING me? Taxes and fees are double the actual energy? How is this possibly legal?
You can thank BILL RITTER for those high taxes. He's raising energy taxes $321 MILLION dollars to fund solar and other much less efficient energies. He's against domestic drilling of oil and wants the nat gas industry to cut back drilling efforts 25%. HE IS AN IDIOT.
david01

Denver, CO

#18 Aug 19, 2008
yep you can second that one bill ritter is an absolute moron!!!!!!
david01

Denver, CO

#19 Sep 18, 2008
HEY!!!!!!!!!! GUESS..... WHAT.... xCRAP energy is going to raise rates in devember by 12%......... WHAT A SHOCK........ email them and feel free to comment (THEY LOVE FEEDBACK I DO IT ALL THE TIME..) also EMAIL DOUGPLATT@DORA.STATE.CO.US and ask him what he thinks about this issue!!!!!! tell him dave d. sent ya!!!!!
david01

Denver, CO

#20 Sep 18, 2008
dougplatt@dora.state.co.us JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 15 min Terra Firma 15,727
106.7 kbpi is the worst morning show ever! 54 min meathead 532
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 6 hr Respect71 16,152
Police: Martino allegedly punched wife in face ... (Dec '13) 21 hr Chilly 4
mexicans stealing luggage & bags at bus terminal 21 hr Chilly 2
Local Denver Street Gang Gets Exposure! (Mar '10) 21 hr NSM 267
Motorcycle Clubs in Colorado? 23 hr Chatise 1
Denver Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance