Smoking declines in Colorado since ta...

Smoking declines in Colorado since taxes were raised

There are 203 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Sep 24, 2007, titled Smoking declines in Colorado since taxes were raised. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

"This is great news for us as a state," Ritter told a crowd of supporters who braved a brief hail storm on the steps of the Capitol to cheer the news.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Scottrb

San Francisco, CA

#1 Sep 24, 2007
I'll drink to that!
Smoke Free

Broomfield, CO

#2 Sep 24, 2007
The best thing this government has done for the health of this state is the Smoking Ban not the raising of taxes! I no longer have to smell cigarettes in every bar and restaurant that I go to and I no longer have to watch people smoke them. It has enable me to quit smoking entirely. Before the Ban, I would have (and sometimes did) paid $7.00 a pack to satisfy my urges to smoke.

“~ Reality IS Perception ~”

Since: Aug 07

Rockaway!

#3 Sep 24, 2007
Scottrb wrote:
I'll drink to that!
~~~~Grumble~~~~

“~ Reality IS Perception ~”

Since: Aug 07

Rockaway!

#4 Sep 24, 2007
Smoke Free wrote:
The best thing this government has done for the health of this state is the Smoking Ban not the raising of taxes! I no longer have to smell cigarettes in every bar and restaurant that I go to and I no longer have to watch people smoke them. It has enable me to quit smoking entirely. Before the Ban, I would have (and sometimes did) paid $7.00 a pack to satisfy my urges to smoke.
Turncoat....Just kidding ;-)

It's great that you quit, but to be happy about other citizens being sujbected to discrimination and being kicked down to sub-human status?? SEPARATE SMOKING AND NONSMOKING establishments...Mutual Respect for each other,,,what a concept, hmmm?

“OWNERS CHOICE = PATRONS CHOICE”

Since: Jun 07

United States

#5 Sep 24, 2007
Smoking was on its way out without the interference of anyone. The bans were just a way for the govt. to stick it to the citizens, and put the thumb screw to "all" of us, not just the smokers.
Vince

Trinidad, CO

#6 Sep 24, 2007
Good, raise taxes some more as I say do whatever it takes to get more people to stop smoking. Let's then put the extra money to good use. Better yet, let's ban the tobacco lobby from Washington. We ALL pay the price for people's smoking. I have asthma as a result of being raised by 2 heavily smoking parents, and then also from being subjected to secondhand smoke in work environments back in the days when people were allowed to smoke in "healthcare" environments! All of my son's maternal grandparents are either sick or dead as a result of smoking.
Vince

Trinidad, CO

#7 Sep 24, 2007
...I meant to say all of my son's maternal grandparents AND greatgrandparents...
Artillery

Aurora, CO

#8 Sep 24, 2007
uh huh'
I wonder if they know that many brands are being sold on the black market for half of what they are sold for in stores.
Many law biding people are now turning to criminals for their fix.

Taxes are a means to rebellion.
-Nate Hadrian.
Gunner

Denver, CO

#9 Sep 24, 2007
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
It's great that you quit, but to be happy about other citizens being sujbected to discrimination and being kicked down to sub-human status?? SEPARATE SMOKING AND NONSMOKING establishments...Mutual Respect for each other,,,what a concept, hmmm?
Subhuman Status? C'mon. A little over-dramatic, don't you think? If you talk about respect for each other, let me ask if you were preaching that before that smoking ban went into effect. I'll bet you never gave a second thought to how your smoking affected the non-smokers around you. So save us the "mutual respect" tripe. It doesn't wash.

“Managing Internal Chaos”

Since: Jul 07

Denver

#10 Sep 24, 2007
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think 'Smoke Free' said anything about being happy about discrimination. This poster only spoke of personal experience and used the word 'I' a lot. No need to get on the soap box yet.
GetBent

Denver, CO

#11 Sep 24, 2007
I'm still doing my part to make the non smokers hate me more.
GetBent

Denver, CO

#12 Sep 24, 2007
Vince wrote:
Good, raise taxes some more as I say do whatever it takes to get more people to stop smoking. Let's then put the extra money to good use. Better yet, let's ban the tobacco lobby from Washington. We ALL pay the price for people's smoking. I have asthma as a result of being raised by 2 heavily smoking parents, and then also from being subjected to secondhand smoke in work environments back in the days when people were allowed to smoke in "healthcare" environments! All of my son's maternal grandparents are either sick or dead as a result of smoking.
That's what you get for having parents that didn't think, obviously.

“OWNERS CHOICE = PATRONS CHOICE”

Since: Jun 07

United States

#13 Sep 24, 2007
Artillery wrote:
uh huh'
I wonder if they know that many brands are being sold on the black market for half of what they are sold for in stores.
-Nate Hadrian.
Like I've been saying for forever,,,

Forced behavior breeds Forced rebellion.
GetBent

Denver, CO

#14 Sep 24, 2007
Artillery wrote:
uh huh'
-Nate Hadrian.
your statements untrue. I bet you don't smoke either.
just candid

AOL

#15 Sep 24, 2007
Live better,live longer,live smoke free.
Stephenie

Denver, CO

#16 Sep 24, 2007
The story should read that the number of people who BUY cigarettes in Colorado has dropped from 22 to 18 percent. I don't doubt that a few percentage points can be attributed to people who have quit smoking but it is more likely that a large percentage have just turned to the internet to purchase their cigarettes.
Stephenie

Denver, CO

#17 Sep 24, 2007
One more thing - Congrats on giving the government permission to tax anything that the government deems to be unhealthy. Now they're working on your cookies and sodas, transfats, chocolate - the list just never ends. It isn't taxing the cigs that bothers me, if they're that unhealthy then ban tobacco, it's that people are willing to allow the government to tax anything, until, of course, those same people are taxed for some habit they have, healthy or not (remember-the government now gets to determine whats healthy). Then it's too late - you've already established the precedent.
just candid

AOL

#18 Sep 24, 2007
Stephenie wrote:
The story should read that the number of people who BUY cigarettes in Colorado has dropped from 22 to 18 percent. I don't doubt that a few percentage points can be attributed to people who have quit smoking but it is more likely that a large percentage have just turned to the internet to purchase their cigarettes.
They may soon have the tax man at their door. Internet tobacco shops sell their customers list to the happy tax man,or anyone else.That's pretty funny if you ask me.

Since: Jul 07

Denver, CO

#19 Sep 24, 2007
No, this isn't trying to justify taxing is it? Does anybody else here have a problem with taxing "bad" behavior. By the way, I'd bet a small fortune that that any actual reduction in smokers is nothing CLOSE to the number of people who, due to the demonization of smoking, now answer the question as a non-smoker. So where is the tax for fat people, people who rock climb, drive poorly, eat salt, don't help with thier kids' homework, and have a potty mouth?
Kent

Great Cacapon, WV

#20 Sep 24, 2007
CO Rick wrote:
No, this isn't trying to justify taxing is it? Does anybody else here have a problem with taxing "bad" behavior. By the way, I'd bet a small fortune that that any actual reduction in smokers is nothing CLOSE to the number of people who, due to the demonization of smoking, now answer the question as a non-smoker. So where is the tax for fat people, people who rock climb, drive poorly, eat salt, don't help with thier kids' homework, and have a potty mouth?
"potty mouth" - Yes a TROLL TAX!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Nugget 24,121
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 4 hr tbird19482 19,143
Hillary Clinton OUR next President 4 hr tbird19482 324
Paid survey for Denver area residents (Jul '12) Fri leonard chavez 5
would you allow me to talk about sex with your ... Fri Doesastold8 2
Naughty email chat! Fri Doesastold8 3
last post wins! (Feb '11) Thu Maverick 808 25,227
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages