Pit bull owner charged after dog shot...

Pit bull owner charged after dog shot by security officer

There are 52 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Aug 7, 2007, titled Pit bull owner charged after dog shot by security officer. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

" The owner of a pit bull shot by a security officer last month has been charged with owning a vicious animal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

wondering

Denver, CO

#21 Aug 8, 2007
how the owner could say this man was not in danger, he wasn't there with his dog and there for not a witness to the attack. he should be considering himself luck that this man didn't shoot to kill, and even though the dog was shot it's alive and he still has his beloved pet.
dvj

Littleton, CO

#22 Aug 8, 2007
SLC wrote:
Dogs suck...Shoot all of them, and send the Illegals back to Mexico, and maybe the world would be a better place to live.Dogs really suck, and pit bull owners need to be shot, as well.
so in the same i own a pit and i would like to see you shot at me it then would be self defence when I shoot back right
Tommypenguin

Denver, CO

#23 Aug 8, 2007
Perry wrote:
Dog worshipers are people haters. Just ask any of them. They are unbelievably mean to people who don't like dogs. No one thinks twice about cat haters.
I totally agree with this, anybody who says anything even slightly derogatory toward a dog and you have people calling you a moron, a jerk, saying things like they should have put you down and not the dog. It just blows my mind that people value their dogs lives more so than human life. The dogs have more rights than people do, you can't defend yourself from a dog attack without having to defend yourself of animal cruelty felony charges. This is one of the only cases where there are no charges being brought up on the person defending themself. I'm sure I will have the dog extremist crew flaming on me for this post because I'm voicing my opinion, which is what the forums are for but whatever.
People first-dogs second

Englewood, CO

#25 Aug 8, 2007
Sterilize all pit bulls now and let the breed die out. There are too many kids around with a half a face after someone's, "it's a really sweet dog" has ripped their little faces apart. Pit bulls are not essential to the biosphere continuum. They simply bolster those who feel inadequate in their own personal prowess or help protect meth labs. Bring it on dog freaks, I can handle it.
ems

Denver, CO

#26 Aug 8, 2007
owner of socks wrote:
<quoted text> no he was not,,he was never bit and on the summons i got, it said dog (tried) to attack. all that happend was... the gaurd saw a pit bull and the gaurd was the one that did the attack,he was never bit and he had a chance to get back in his car.mr smith is a chump, u see my dogs pic, she is small and very old.well ill go now have fun, peace
It seems to me that most people live in fear these days. My mother had a europene pit bull it disappeared one day and never came home. my neighbors have two pit bulls they wont let out of there house until after dark, and admittadly im afraid of vicious dogs, however I have learned that while yes dogs need to be respected, just as we need to understand that dogs that attack do so for a reason and it is not because of their breed. I feel bad for the owner of socks it appears that he was doing everything right and the security guard was acting on fear. It seems society as a whole needs to collectivly grow up and stop letting fear run their lives. I have.
dvj

Littleton, CO

#27 Aug 8, 2007
you peaple and the news agencys that are all about persacuting pitbulls only,should listen to police scaners at scandenver.net .so far this morning just in denver ive heard of two dog bites
and neither one were pit bulls one a german shepard.lets see if either one of these hit the news.so because of these dogs we should ban these breeds to right.it will only show that if its not a pit dont report it on the news.this challenge i give to all news agencys if your not going to report fairly then you cant call it a fair agency

“OWNERS CHOICE = PATRONS CHOICE”

Since: Jun 07

United States

#28 Aug 8, 2007
I am afraid of PitBulls, Rottweilers,(a mix of these two dogs charged a child and I had to intervene) Doberman Pinschers...... Once bitten, Twice shy.

I do however love dogs... I love mine, even though she is not the sharpest pup in the box. She is a mutt, she is mine and she loves me.
Tommypenguin

United States

#30 Aug 8, 2007
Who ever said the news was fair and just? lol, that is just a joke to think that ideal is actually a standard that any news agency would strive for. Media, shows what they want to show in the light they think will get the most attention, just business, and while they never report most other dog bites, i believe that generally when a pit bull attacks its so under the microscope because of the severity of the bites. I remember two stories of dog bites within the last year where a pitbull bit a childs arm off and gnawed on his face and another where a child got a portion of his hand bit off by a pit bull. Granted the pit bulls have some of the strongest jaw muscles of any dog, when they bite, it often gets messy and that catches public eye.
dvj wrote:
you peaple and the news agencys that are all about persacuting pitbulls only,should listen to police scaners at scandenver.net .so far this morning just in denver ive heard of two dog bites
and neither one were pit bulls one a german shepard.lets see if either one of these hit the news.so because of these dogs we should ban these breeds to right.it will only show that if its not a pit dont report it on the news.this challenge i give to all news agencys if your not going to report fairly then you cant call it a fair agency
dvj

Littleton, CO

#32 Aug 8, 2007
Tommypenguin wrote:
Who ever said the news was fair and just? lol, that is just a joke to think that ideal is actually a standard that any news agency would strive for. Media, shows what they want to show in the light they think will get the most attention, just business, and while they never report most other dog bites, i believe that generally when a pit bull attacks its so under the microscope because of the severity of the bites. I remember two stories of dog bites within the last year where a pitbull bit a childs arm off and gnawed on his face and another where a child got a portion of his hand bit off by a pit bull. Granted the pit bulls have some of the strongest jaw muscles of any dog, when they bite, it often gets messy and that catches public eye.
<quoted text>
But you still escaped the point and went back to only that example.if you cant bring all breeds to the example then its still ignorance.for there is many upon many examples of other breeds with the severity of attacks you state.
Perry

Parker, CO

#33 Aug 8, 2007
Tommypenguin wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with this, anybody who says anything even slightly derogatory toward a dog and you have people calling you a moron, a jerk, saying things like they should have put you down and not the dog. It just blows my mind that people value their dogs lives more so than human life. The dogs have more rights than people do, you can't defend yourself from a dog attack without having to defend yourself of animal cruelty felony charges.
Where dog owners' rights begin, mine end. Two doors from my house are a rottweiler and a big Shepard-mix that bark, bark, bark all day until past eleven at night. These people are white trash, who in three months have destroyed my neighborhood. These two dogs are vicious; two times the rottweiler got out and everyone was trapped in their own house. He was even in my own back yard. Tell me who has the most rights!
Flavio

Denver, CO

#34 Aug 8, 2007
JJJ wrote:
So did the dog actually attack the security guard? Some details seem to be left out....
Nah...he just shot it for laughs and because it was a pit bull.
Konnie

Denver, CO

#37 Aug 8, 2007
Come on, people. I'm being "attacked" by a pit bull, and I have the presence of mind to say "I will shoot this dog if someone doesn't come and get it"?? BS. You're being attacked, you're carrying a guy, you shoot - period. Why do I get the feeling the word "attacked" is more adequately, in this case, defined as "barked at". My dog, a Lhasa Apso, gets out of my house - damn straight he'll bark at you like he's going to attack. Many dogs do that! She was shot because she was a pit bull, pure and simple. If she's a Golden or a Lab or a Lhasa, the guy gets in his truck and drives away. And if the guy does shoot a Golden or a Lab or a Lhasa, good luck finding any media to cover it. And Perry - I'd guess more people beyond "dog worshippers" don't like you.
annonymous

Boulder, CO

#41 Aug 8, 2007
I am still trying to figure out what hit the SUV or what it hit. If it was Socks--A hurt animal is a hurt animal.
Matt

Denver, CO

#42 Aug 8, 2007
The only thing good for a pitbull is a .45 round in the skull.
Rebecca

Denver, CO

#43 Aug 8, 2007
Perry wrote:
<quoted text>
Where dog owners' rights begin, mine end. Two doors from my house are a rottweiler and a big Shepard-mix that bark, bark, bark all day until past eleven at night. These people are white trash, who in three months have destroyed my neighborhood. These two dogs are vicious; two times the rottweiler got out and everyone was trapped in their own house. He was even in my own back yard. Tell me who has the most rights!
And you haven't reported them why? I had some white trash niebors who let thier pure bred german shepard run free. After the second time I called to have him picked up by the pound, they didn't get thier dog back. Now I have 2 hill billy enemies and that sweet dog has an owner that cares enough about him to keep him groomed, fed, and out of traffic.

Please keep in mind, I actually OWN PIT BULLS! If one of them were to attack a human, god forbi, I would him him down, because a vicious dog is dangerous, no mater how well loved.

But killing off a whole breed out of fear, ignorance, and hatred is childish.
grownup

The Colony, TX

#44 Aug 8, 2007
owner of socks wrote:
<quoted text>um yes the guard is getting charges brought on him
Can you paste copies of those reports, please? Or direct us as to where we can find them?
michael

Lafayette, CO

#45 Aug 8, 2007
Rebecca wrote:
<quoted text>And you haven't reported them why? I had some white trash niebors who let thier pure bred german shepard run free. After the second time I called to have him picked up by the pound, they didn't get thier dog back. Now I have 2 hill billy enemies and that sweet dog has an owner that cares enough about him to keep him groomed, fed, and out of traffic.
Please keep in mind, I actually OWN PIT BULLS! If one of them were to attack a human, god forbi, I would him him down, because a vicious dog is dangerous, no mater how well loved.
But killing off a whole breed out of fear, ignorance, and hatred is childish.
please write your comment in MS word -> spell check -> then cut and paste into post. holy c-rap, that was rough. i had to pull out my captain crunch decipher code book to make out 'ghetto' writing. so is your surname jackson or morales. it sure is not mitchell or blanch.

git rid ov that daug and by you self an edumication. had to use 'ghetto' talk there, so that you would understand get an education. sorry.
Flavio

Denver, CO

#46 Aug 8, 2007
hehehe wrote:
jamal frederick smith 9100 e florida av 20108,,,,,denver ,co 80247
this is the name and address of the guard that shoot the dog this man likes to wear womans clothing,he is gay,and he likes to foundle little boys
this is the name and address of the guard that shoot the dog this man likes to wear womans clothing,he is gay,and he likes to foundle little boys
Dude, you had better hope that this info is fake. You are opened to a mess of trouble if this info is real......
Sherri

Greeley, CO

#47 Aug 8, 2007
Tommypenguin wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with this, anybody who says anything even slightly derogatory toward a dog and you have people calling you a moron, a jerk, saying things like they should have put you down and not the dog. It just blows my mind that people value their dogs lives more so than human life. The dogs have more rights than people do, you can't defend yourself from a dog attack without having to defend yourself of animal cruelty felony charges. This is one of the only cases where there are no charges being brought up on the person defending themself. I'm sure I will have the dog extremist crew flaming on me for this post because I'm voicing my opinion, which is what the forums are for but whatever.
This stems from the fact that most people (not necessarily children and the elderly)can stand up for themselves and have voice. Dogs don't have voice, someone needs to stand up for them. It can come across as if people like dogs more than people, and some do and some are just standing up for those (the dogs) that can't stand up for themselves. Dogs of any breed can't help someone chooses to own them that may not understand the responsilibity. I am not a fan of pits, but breed banning is wrong and so is pits suffereing because of their owners.

I do believe if this wasn't a pit, it wouldn't have been injured and it wouldn't have made the news. Again, this is coming from someone that is not a fan of the breed. I would not take my dogs to a dog park where pits are unleashed, but that doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be allowed. I personally would always muzzled a pit in public, even though 98% of them are sweet big babies, there is the occassional mighty poodle that may attack them and then it would of course be the pit's fault. And I do agree if the crack, they are very dangerous, hence the muzzle.

“Who likes shots & has 2 thumbs”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

BOULDER

#48 Aug 8, 2007
Let me guess....the SUV was the agressor so therefore the SUV started it right? Pits are nice until attacked by dobermans right? Yours is great right? Had it for years right? All your life right? Raised them at your parents house and they never attacked you as a kid? Never, right?

Sick of this. People are more important. End of story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play the "end of the word" game (Jul '11) 15 hr Princess Hey 4,316
News "Ima Shoot Up Bear Creek:" At Least 5 Post-Park... Feb 23 bloodfleshbones 1
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) Feb 22 Juan Carlos 58,886
Review: I Love Kickboxing- Lakewood (Dec '15) Feb 22 jeremycoss 88
News Denver shatters record low temperature for firs... Feb 21 surfeagleOrg 1
News Man fatally stabs pit bull to stop dog fight (Aug '07) Feb 21 Oh Boy 518
Yvonne Anderson of Ya Ya Services, Inc. Feb 19 Pissed customer 2

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages