US school shooting revives gun debate

Dec 14, 2012 Full story: Yahoo! 2,340

Relatives of those killed in past mass shootings reacted with outrage to Friday's news of another massacre at an elementary school in Connecticut.

Full Story
Voluntarist

United States

#1455 Jan 20, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>And you luckily got off with dementia.
Ad hom when faced with facts, typical.
The Infantile left Winged

Chico, CA

#1456 Jan 20, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
BOY: you should stop wasting your poor mother's money and get a job, community college is beyond you.
Baboons have two legs and two arms.
punkass:
Punkass is a term for a person who is both a punk and an ass, therefore a cowardly, dumb, and despicable person.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#1457 Jan 20, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a paid up life time member, and your portrait hangs in the hall as a member of the inner circle: reserved for people who have had everyone twice each both ways but alas, your ankle bracelet and the court order do not allow you to travel outside the country.
Wipe your chin, donglicker, you are spilling on the carpet.


If I had an ankle bracelet they would have revoked my CCW permit but they didn't so the Barefoot NAMBLA, Hall Chapter 2626 leader and Guiness Book of World Record holder for consecutive BJs of complete strangers from two hundred and seven different nations is a liar but what else is new?

You are easy.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#1458 Jan 20, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Jizzumcheeks, monkeys have two legs and two arms.
Wipe your chin... you're dripping again.


You should have your gay fetish checked out by a licensed psychiatrist. Everyone you disagree with is the object of your numerous gay idiosyncrasies. Weird.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#1459 Jan 20, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you explain the meaning of "a well regulated militia"?


The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd Amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.

So me and my next door neighbor are a well regulated two man militia and when he is on vacation it is just me.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#1460 Jan 20, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why dont you explain the meaning of " being necessary for a free state".
That is a meaningless response, though in your case, par for the course.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#1461 Jan 20, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ad hom when faced with facts, typical.
Are you trying to beat out Ninthturd for Topix Village Odiot?

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#1462 Jan 20, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd Amendment:
1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."
1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."
1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."
1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."
1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."
1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."
The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.
So me and my next door neighbor are a well regulated two man militia and when he is on vacation it is just me.
All-beef baloney! Hilarious in a way.

A "militia" is a body of citizens called out for military service in emergencies.
"Well regulated" means properly disciplined and supervised.
"The people" refers to the people collectively, not individually.

Put them all together, and you have the proper meaning of the second amendment.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#1463 Jan 20, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>All-beef baloney! Hilarious in a way.
A "militia" is a body of citizens called out for military service in emergencies.
"Well regulated" means properly disciplined and supervised.
"The people" refers to the people collectively, not individually.
Put them all together, and you have the proper meaning of the second amendment.
So are you saying the "people" only have freedom of speech when more than one person is present or the people don't have relifious freedom when by themselves?

The following wording-

'A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms for the common defense, shall not be infringed.'

was voted down by the Senate and " for the common defense" was removed from the final wording of the 2nd Amendment.

"Annals of the First Senate."(1820)
Library of Congress
Research -David T.Hardy

"They [the proposed amendments] relate first to private rights .."
James Madison

downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#1464 Jan 20, 2013
Hypocrisy from the left This is from 2004

John Kerry blasted President Bush for not pushing to extend the ban on sales of nineteen kinds of assault weapons, due to expire Monday.

Kerry interview
Outdoor Life Magazine Sept. 2004

"My favorite gun is the M-16 that saved my life and that of my crew in Vietnam. I donít own one of those now, but one of my reminders of my service is a Communist Chinese assault rifle."

Hello!!!!! anybody home???
Voluntarist

United States

#1465 Jan 20, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>That is a meaningless response, though in your case, par for the course.
Objection non-responsive
sir please answer the question.
Voluntarist

United States

#1466 Jan 20, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>All-beef baloney! Hilarious in a way.
A "militia" is a body of citizens called out for military service in emergencies.
"Well regulated" means properly disciplined and supervised.
"The people" refers to the people collectively, not individually.
Put them all together, and you have the proper meaning of the second amendment.
The State Constitution here recognizes the INDIVIDUAL RIGHT, what do you say to that?
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#1467 Jan 20, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>All-beef baloney! Hilarious in a way.
A "militia" is a body of citizens called out for military service in emergencies.
"Well regulated" means properly disciplined and supervised.
"The people" refers to the people collectively, not individually.
Put them all together, and you have the proper meaning of the second amendment.
Section IV.-- The Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

... The Right is General.-- It may be supposed from the phraseology of this provision that the right to keep and bear arms was only guaranteed to the militia; but this would be an interpretation not warranted by the intent. The militia, as has been elsewhere explained, consists of those persons who, under the law, are liable to the performance of military duty, and are officered and enrolled for service when called upon. But the law may make provision for the enrolment of all who are fit to perform military duty, or of a small number only, or it may wholly omit to make any provision at all; and if the right were limited to those enrolled, the purpose of this guaranty might be defeated altogether by the action or neglect to act of the government it was meant to hold in check. The meaning of the provision undoubtedly is, that the people, from whom the militia must be taken, shall have the right to keep and bear arms, and they need no permission or regulation of law for the purpose. But this enables the government to have a well regulated militia; for to bear arms implies something more than the mere keeping; it implies the learning to handle and use them in a way that makes those who keep them ready for their efficient use; in other words, it implies the right to meet for voluntary discipline in arms, observing in doing so the laws of public order.

Thomas Cooley, General Principles of Constitutional Law (1880)

Thomas McIntyre Cooley, LL.D., was the 25th Justice and a Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court, between 1864 and 1885. He was a charter member, and first chairman, of the Interstate Commerce Commission.
In 1877, Justice Cooley was appointed visiting faculty, by Sir William Osler, to the Johns Hopkins University. Cooley was appointed Dean of the University of Michigan Law School, a position he held until 1884.
Thomas M. Cooley Law School of Lansing, Michigan was named after Justice Cooley to recognize his contribution to American jurisprudence. A
Justice Cooley is recognized by the State Bar of Michigan as a "Michigan Legal Milestone".
Voluntarist

United States

#1468 Jan 20, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Section IV.-- The Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
... The Right is General.-- It may be supposed from the phraseology of this provision that the right to keep and bear arms was only guaranteed to the militia; but this would be an interpretation not warranted by the intent. The militia, as has been elsewhere explained, consists of those persons who, under the law, are liable to the performance of military duty, and are officered and enrolled for service when called upon. But the law may make provision for the enrolment of all who are fit to perform military duty, or of a small number only, or it may wholly omit to make any provision at all; and if the right were limited to those enrolled, the purpose of this guaranty might be defeated altogether by the action or neglect to act of the government it was meant to hold in check. The meaning of the provision undoubtedly is, that the people, from whom the militia must be taken, shall have the right to keep and bear arms, and they need no permission or regulation of law for the purpose. But this enables the government to have a well regulated militia; for to bear arms implies something more than the mere keeping; it implies the learning to handle and use them in a way that makes those who keep them ready for their efficient use; in other words, it implies the right to meet for voluntary discipline in arms, observing in doing so the laws of public order.
Thomas Cooley, General Principles of Constitutional Law (1880)
Thomas McIntyre Cooley, LL.D., was the 25th Justice and a Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court, between 1864 and 1885. He was a charter member, and first chairman, of the Interstate Commerce Commission.
In 1877, Justice Cooley was appointed visiting faculty, by Sir William Osler, to the Johns Hopkins University. Cooley was appointed Dean of the University of Michigan Law School, a position he held until 1884.
Thomas M. Cooley Law School of Lansing, Michigan was named after Justice Cooley to recognize his contribution to American jurisprudence. A
Justice Cooley is recognized by the State Bar of Michigan as a "Michigan Legal Milestone".
When you give that liberal facts he will ignore them.and ad hom attack.

“Spay and neuter your pet”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

Burnt Hills

#1469 Jan 20, 2013
Regarding our Bill of Rights it is not a free pass to do whatever we feel like. With those Bill of Rights comes responsibility and accountability. First Amendment is Freedom of Speech, we can say whatever we like but that doesn't mean we can't be held liable for the things we say. The Second Amendment is the right to bear arms and that too comes with responsibilties. Laws need to be followed and we can't just do as we please with those weapons. Along with responsibilities is accountability. If you fail to be responsible then you will be held accountable.
Now here is the thing, criminals are being supplied with guns some how, some way. How are they being supplied and who is supplying them with guns. I think we can all agree here it is NOT non gun owners. So is it manufacturers, suppliers, dealers, at gun shows,(selling guns in the parking lot) owners who sell to anyone off the streets and from irresponsible gun owners who don't lock their guns in a safe when they leave their homes allowing robbers to have access to them. Or is all of the above and other reasons why. Bottom line here is it is from those that either deal in guns or own guns that criminals are getting the guns from. Where is the responsibility here. What is the NRA and staunch gun advocates and owners doing to prevent criminals from getting the guns in the first place? I can tell you Absolutely NOTHING!!!!! Benefit of the doubt, well if they are doing something it is NOT working. The criminals are still getting the guns. Also the mentally disturbed are still getting access to the guns cause no on is preventing them from getting their hands on them.
When something goes amuck in society and people fail to be responsible on their own, that is when the government is there to step up to the plate and make people responsible and accountable for their actions. To do this they have to make laws because without laws you can not legally punish them for doing wrong. Hopefully the new laws might make gun owners and advocates wake up to their responsiblities. If these laws don't work and the killing continues then it is not the government to blame or non gun owners, but gun owners everywhere will continue to have blood on their hands from every innocent victim of gun violence.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1471 Jan 20, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you explain the meaning of "a well regulated militia"?
Now you explain what you think it means.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1470 Jan 20, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you explain the meaning of "a well regulated militia"?
"The Second Amendment declares by implication that if the "MILITIA" is not "WELL REGULATED" by "PEOPLE" keeping and bearing arms, the "MILITIA" becomes a threat to the "SECURITY OF A FREE STATE."

The "MILITIA" has no "RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS" in the Second Amendment, rather it is only "THE RIGHT OF THE ""PEOPLE"" TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS (that) SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." "
Voluntarist

United States

#1472 Jan 20, 2013
Norskejente wrote:
Regarding our Bill of Rights it is not a free pass to do whatever we feel like. With those Bill of Rights comes responsibility and accountability. First Amendment is Freedom of Speech, we can say whatever we like but that doesn't mean we can't be held liable for the things we say. The Second Amendment is the right to bear arms and that too comes with responsibilties. Laws need to be followed and we can't just do as we please with those weapons. Along with responsibilities is accountability. If you fail to be responsible then you will be held accountable.
Now here is the thing, criminals are being supplied with guns some how, some way. How are they being supplied and who is supplying them with guns. I think we can all agree here it is NOT non gun owners. So is it manufacturers, suppliers, dealers, at gun shows,(selling guns in the parking lot) owners who sell to anyone off the streets and from irresponsible gun owners who don't lock their guns in a safe when they leave their homes allowing robbers to have access to them. Or is all of the above and other reasons why. Bottom line here is it is from those that either deal in guns or own guns that criminals are getting the guns from. Where is the responsibility here. What is the NRA and staunch gun advocates and owners doing to prevent criminals from getting the guns in the first place? I can tell you Absolutely NOTHING!!!!! Benefit of the doubt, well if they are doing something it is NOT working. The criminals are still getting the guns. Also the mentally disturbed are still getting access to the guns cause no on is preventing them from getting their hands on them.
When something goes amuck in society and people fail to be responsible on their own, that is when the government is there to step up to the plate and make people responsible and accountable for their actions. To do this they have to make laws because without laws you can not legally punish them for doing wrong. Hopefully the new laws might make gun owners and advocates wake up to their responsiblities. If these laws don't work and the killing continues then it is not the government to blame or non gun owners, but gun owners everywhere will continue to have blood on their hands from every innocent victim of gun violence.
Answer; see fast and furious

Fact; twice as many people got killed with blunt objects than rifles.
Voluntarist

United States

#1473 Jan 20, 2013
Ps

The bill of rights is a limit on goverment power, the people are free to do as they please, their freedom to do ends where another ones rights begins.
Voluntarist

United States

#1474 Jan 20, 2013
The loving liberal psychopath control freak went into hiding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 3 hr You can call me Dick 14,448
last post wins! (Feb '11) 4 hr -Lily- 24,877
africa23 - _tel od out lo in protest is spy whyte 5 hr africhaiti 1
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 hr uSUCK 6,179
COMFORT DENTAL ....How Many of you feel Ripped ... (Apr '08) 6 hr Forever in pain 95
Housewife convicted of frying husband (Mar '07) 8 hr swedenforever 70
Local Denver Street Gang Gets Exposure! (Mar '10) 8 hr AZTRO1 265
Denver Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Denver News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Denver

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:56 pm PST

NBC Sports 4:56PM
Broncos defeat Raiders, clinch first-round bye
ESPN 5:03 PM
Broncos stomp Raiders, clinch 1st-round bye
Yahoo! Sports 5:03 PM
Broncos cruise, earn AFC's No. 2 seed
Bleacher Report 5:05 PM
Did the Chargers Choke Away Playoff Berth in Week 17?
Bleacher Report 7:56 PM
Full Game Grades for Broncos vs. Raiders