Little girl falls from second story w...

Little girl falls from second story window

There are 36 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Jun 14, 2007, titled Little girl falls from second story window. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

" A 3-year-old girl fell out of a second story window on Thursday just before noon after firefighters say she was leaning on a screen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
truth

Denver, CO

#2 Jun 14, 2007
I feel for the little girl and her family because I seen it happen just as they say it happened to this little girl. My cousen was looking out the window pressing a little on the screen with his hands cuffed over the side of his head and in less then a second there he went. I was right next to him and there was nothing I could do. It all just happened so fast. He was on the first floor and her ended up breaking his arm. Thank god he's okay and thank god the little girl is okay.
American

Monroe, LA

#4 Jun 14, 2007
whats this the 6th or 7th one this year?
Kaos

United States

#6 Jun 14, 2007
It is sad when people dont learn from other peoples mistakes. I personaly dont have time to make all mistakes on my own so I try to learn from others.
Long Duck Dong

Aurora, CO

#7 Jun 14, 2007
truth wrote:
I feel for the little girl and her family because I seen it happen just as they say it happened to this little girl. My cousen was looking out the window pressing a little on the screen with his hands cuffed over the side of his head and in less then a second there he went. I was right next to him and there was nothing I could do. It all just happened so fast. He was on the first floor and her ended up breaking his arm. Thank god he's okay and thank god the little girl is okay.
I am glad your cousin was okay despite breaking his arm. I hope the lil girl will be okay too.
DTOWN

Grand Junction, CO

#10 Jun 14, 2007
Slight typo. Weld County Paramedics transferred the injured child not the Union Colony Fire. The are an ALS provider but do not have transport capabilities
idiots

Denver, CO

#11 Jun 14, 2007
i feel for the girl, not the family. They havent learned from the others that have happend this year already and tragedies that other families have gone thru. PEOPLE PUT LOCKS ON THE WINDOWS OR GO WITH AN ACTUAL GOOD SCREEN. OR WHAT JUST PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR KIDS DAM
SADDENED

Denver, CO

#13 Jun 14, 2007
How sad for this baby..you would think that parents would learn by now from hearing other stories about this same thing.....

I 2 am sad to say, that some people have no sense.
some of the stuff I have read here is just totally un called for..apparentally you have no compassion for others..I hope no type of tragedy happens to you or your family.......little people have feelings 2..I have a dear friend that happens to be 1 and this is so sad....
lovin life

United States

#14 Jun 14, 2007
I realize that accidents happen, But what is wrong with parents. With all the kids that have fallen this year alone you would think they would be more wary of this problem.

PARENTS PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CHILDREN !!!
Wrong

United States

#16 Jun 14, 2007
Dirty Harold wrote:
I thought kid tossing season was over or did it just start? So many new sports now it's hard to keep up.
The term "tossing" implies that you are holding an object and throwing it. Did you read the story wrong? No one was being held, and it did not follow up with a throw of any kind. Boy are you an idiot.
Arey

Fort Collins, CO

#17 Jun 14, 2007
My prayers are with this child and family.
Dirty Harold

Littleton, CO

#19 Jun 14, 2007
Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
The term "tossing" implies that you are holding an object and throwing it. Did you read the story wrong? No one was being held, and it did not follow up with a throw of any kind. Boy are you an idiot.
It was a joke...professor.
Margie

Arvada, CO

#20 Jun 14, 2007
This almost happened to my child when we first moved here. I never even thought about the possibility until I found her screen pushed away from the window. At that point we went and bought a child safety gate that was large enough for the window, but could easily be removed by an adult. It is too bad that more families haven't gotten the wake up call from all of the children this year. Pass on the word to those you know who live in upper levels. It could save someone this hurt.
Dirty Harold

Littleton, CO

#21 Jun 14, 2007
Stereotype Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. You walk around, see a midget, and feel free to toss away. If you have a slingshot and a couple of friends, there are plenty of trees to tie off on... LOL!!!!
I'm there! Maybe we can hook "wrong" up to about 10 yards of surgical tubing and see if we can put he/she/it into orbit.

“Whats wrong with people?!?”

Since: Jun 07

Lots of 'Em

#22 Jun 14, 2007
lovin life wrote:
I realize that accidents happen, But what is wrong with parents. With all the kids that have fallen this year alone you would think they would be more wary of this problem.
PARENTS PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CHILDREN !!!
Completetly agree!!
jose

Lafayette, CO

#23 Jun 14, 2007
The father of that child is my best friend, I ask that everyone prays for her
Love Is The Answer

Colorado Springs, CO

#25 Jun 14, 2007
Have a heart people, children are quick and you can count on them to do the very opposite of what you expect. A parent can childproof 99% of their home and their little one will find that 1 undefended hazard.

Medical providers should take the lead in educating parents about child safety, even if it's just a photocopied handout. There are also excellent websites with good, practical information.

Everyone here (whether you are expressing sympathy, compassion or disgust) should immediately pass this story along to everyone they know with children.
From someone who knows

Aurora, CO

#26 Jun 14, 2007
My son fell from a 2nd story window earlier this year. He was just under 3 years old. I was in the room next to him, he got curious and opened a window that was barely opened and leaned on the screen. He fell 13 feet to the asphalt below. He was in bad shape and is now undergoing a lot of recovery. It's not a question of if I was watching him or not, he was out of my sight for under 2 minutes while a tended to my 10 month old daughter. Tell me, those of you who have kids, honestly, how many times have you allowed your child to be out of your sight while you did something else that only was going to take a minute or two. I mean, you can't tell me that when you need to use the bathroom, fill their sippy cup, switch the laundry or whatever, you have them with you. Many parents do it a thousand times a week and nothing happens. If you were to enter my home you will see that I have door knob covers, outlet covers, fridge locks, baby gates, all dagerous items out of reach of my kids, etc.... but the one thing that we are having trouble with is the window safety gear. I challenge any of you to go to your local Wal-mart, K-mart, Target, Babies R Us or Toys R Us and find something that is for the windows. It really doesn't exist. We tried! I don't reccomend putting a gate up because it just creates more of a draw to the window. They want to climb up there to play with it. I also don't recomend screwing the window shut becuase of a fire hazard. Taking things away from the window doesn't matter because little ones will drag their toys or a chair there to climb on it.

What I want to see happen is a law that makes baby safe locks to be required on every 2nd floor and above window. These would only allow the windows to open 4 inches and then an adult can press something to open it the rest of the way. This would be inforced to the builder or the renter. Don't rely on your screens, cause they are nothing more than a false sense of security. Windows are the only thing strong enough to stop someone from falling.
Uplift do not degrade

Aurora, CO

#27 Jun 14, 2007
I hope that she is okay. In the case of my son, he is not okay. He is not walking, talking, or eating on his own. He has years of recovery and will never be the same. I think those of you who think that there is no harm in posting hurtful messages, well you are wrong! The family is probably feeling guilty and they don't need any of you who are not "in the know" to be tearing them down. They need support and empowerment, that little girl needs to draw from the strength mom and dad give her, if you tear that strength down, you are not doing anything good for that little girl. They need to be strong for her recovery, they have a long road, your 20 second thought that you give to your message may last forever in their heads and create an obsticle for the parents to overcome. I encourage you to think twice before you post something hurtful!!!! Trust me, they have already been punished with having to see their little girl in the condition she is in. Just because she was crying and moving when she was on the way to the hospital doesn't mean that she will survive this. Think before you post, PLEASE!!!!
Shawna

Loveland, CO

#28 Jun 14, 2007
To From Someone who knows - I've got a 2 year old and I know how you feel, yes, they can get away from you for a few minutes here and there, that's going to happen, you can't blame yourself there or think that others would blame you for what happened.

I don't think a new law is important, but I think more window products need to be available in the the box stores you mentioned (and better quality available as well.) We found several things at online stores and most are better quality than what the box stores carry - and usually still less expensive or equal in price. The products are out there, you just need to search more. I'm really sorry for what you are going through and your child as well.

As far as the open windows - can we please just keep them shut and locked and turn on the air conditioning if we need cooler air? That's what I do, if we really need to get air, let's just go to the park, zoo, etc. Yeah, a little more expensive but not that much more, especially for those of us who have toddlers at risk.
MY SINCERE PRAYERS

Denver, CO

#29 Jun 14, 2007
Uplift do not degrade wrote:
I hope that she is okay. In the case of my son, he is not okay. He is not walking, talking, or eating on his own. He has years of recovery and will never be the same. I think those of you who think that there is no harm in posting hurtful messages, well you are wrong! The family is probably feeling guilty and they don't need any of you who are not "in the know" to be tearing them down. They need support and empowerment, that little girl needs to draw from the strength mom and dad give her, if you tear that strength down, you are not doing anything good for that little girl. They need to be strong for her recovery, they have a long road, your 20 second thought that you give to your message may last forever in their heads and create an obsticle for the parents to overcome. I encourage you to think twice before you post something hurtful!!!! Trust me, they have already been punished with having to see their little girl in the condition she is in. Just because she was crying and moving when she was on the way to the hospital doesn't mean that she will survive this. Think before you post, PLEASE!!!!
My deepest thoughts and prayers go out to you and to the family of this little girl..what a terrible tragedy..as a mom myself, I do understand how quickly something like this can happen...May God Bless You and Give Your Son The Strength He Needs To Overcome All OF This and Be Happy and Healthy Again..
Yoy Will Forever Be In Our Prayers...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 3 hr tbird19482 23,983
last post wins! (Feb '11) 3 hr _FLATLINE-------- 26,035
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 38,407
Lies and Poor Security Judgment but We Still Wa... 11 hr jay23 7
Effects from the recent decline in oil prices (May '15) Sat Bosoito 21
News Nude man in high heels causes lockdown (Apr '07) Sat Darker Than Night 26
News Kathy Sabine (Sep '07) Sat Melquiades Estrada 64

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages