Pit bull owners angry after addresses...

Pit bull owners angry after addresses published

There are 469 comments on the Rocky Mountain News story from Jan 25, 2006, titled Pit bull owners angry after addresses published. In it, Rocky Mountain News reports that:

Commerce City paper's editor cites fear of dog attacks A newspaper editor in Commerce City has put her own spin on the old axiom of "publish or perish." The specter of a fatal pit bull mauling prompted Kathy ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Rocky Mountain News.

pit bull lover

Virginia Beach, VA

#23 Aug 10, 2006
here ya go John...

What had been fear based on experience became reality for the Larry and April Jackson family Sunday, July 23, when the dog residing next door on Kanat'a Deyi Street in Juneau attacked two neighborhood children.
Sam Westika's black Labrador retriever, Patch, ran lose from his home and attempted to attack the face of 5-year-old Harmony Dunlap. Harmony's sister Nicollette, 11, picked up Harmony and turned away from the dog. Both girls were taken to the emergency room and suffered minor bites, said their mother Shawna Dunlap.

(OWENSBORO, Ky.)-- John and Lisa Saltkill's living room is filled with angels.

Angel prints hang on the walls. Angel bookends sit on each side of the television. Angel sconces hold candles above the couch, and small angel statues adorn shelves separating the kitchen from the living room.

Surely one of those is a guardian angel.

On April 25, the Saltkills' youngest child, 5-year-old Jonathan lived through an attack by a German shepherd and Labrador retriever mix breed dog that ripped off the boy's nose.

oh and of course lets not forget about the lady in europe that had to have the total face plant.....she was attacked by HER PET LABRADO!!

“*Puerto Rican Babe*”

Since: Jul 06

Puerto Rico

#24 Aug 10, 2006
John wrote:
<quoted text>
"Its hard and unjustified for anyone to speak out on the pitbull bread if they have never trully owned a pitbull."
This is the sort of mindless logic that plagues society and justifies pretty much anything you want to justify. Ridiculous.
I believe one can safely generalize (ie - isn't universal)that different breeds respond differently to situations. Pit bulls fight differently than golden retrievers - and that is where the danger is. They are stronger than most breeds and when they fight, they don't stop.
Moreover, all breeds of dogs are treated poorly. But you never hear about retrievers or pugs maiming someone or killing a child. So either it is the breed, or it is the type of person that buys a pitbull.
I think its a combination of the two - both the pitbull and the type of person that owns a pitbull (and uses mindless logic to justify it).
You've never heard of a Lab tearing a woman's face off? Wait, wasn't that the one where she got the world's first entire face transplant?

Hmmm....

“*Puerto Rican Babe*”

Puerto Rico

#25 Aug 10, 2006
Oh, I also found some more stories that are POSITIVE for Pits, in case someone would like some happy stories...

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/pospr...

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/artic...

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/artic...

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/misc/...

Here are some NON-PIT BULL BREEDS that have attacked:

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/OtherBre...

These are just a few. You can find all of the stories for yourself. The list goes back all the way to 2000.

Kirk in Denver

Littleton, CO

#26 Aug 10, 2006
Intolerant wrote:
Only a fool would defend the pit-bull bread. A pit-bull that harms a human needs to be destroyed. All the states need to ban the pit-bulls. Get your heads out of your ass and wake up to reality. Pit-bulls are stupid and were bread to kill. If you feel that you need a pet that scares people and comes off loving to you get a German Shepard. At least the German Shepard will not turn against owners, is very intelligent and doesn't destroy it's packs family members and even thinks before harming an intruder.
Pit-bull=Murderer. Pit-bull=Con-Artist. Pit-bull Owners=Dumbasses
Lots of facts and evidence that pit-bulls are not a friendly-loyal dog.
Why do pit-bull owners blame other pit-bull owners instead of the pit-bull? Because pit-bull owners are dumber than the pit-bull dog.
How can you justify blaming a whole breed for the actions of one dog, or the carelessness of one dog owner? Maybe your name should be IGNORANT, instead of intolorant....
Keith in Michigan

United States

#27 Aug 15, 2006
Pit bull discrimination just cracks me up. Has anyone stopped to think about why you never hear about golden retrievers or Chihuahuas attacking? Its because they are not big or strong. If a Chihuahua was as strong as a pit bull it you would here about a Chihuahua mauling every week. Don't blame the breed for their anatomy. Growing up near Detroit, I have seen how mistreated the pit bulls are. In a city of corruption like Detroit, the scumbags that live there breed pit bulls for fighting because they are strong, once again not the pit bull's fault. Now, I don't live in Colorado or California and it really isn't my business what happens there, but what is my business is news writers and law makers who are all up in arms over a couple pit bull attacks a year, and fail to acknowledge attacks by other breeds each year. Pit bulls react to training,good training=good companion
, bad training=vicious mauler. Don't blame the breed, blame the scum of the earth who train and mistreat all breeds of dogs for fighting. And as for the media hating Pit Bulls, Hollywood actors and actresses really seem to love their Pit Bulls.

“*Puerto Rican Babe*”

Puerto Rico

#28 Aug 15, 2006
Thank you,'Keith in Michigan'!!! Very true! Only thing I disagree with is 'never hearing about Goldern Retreivers or Chihuahua's attacks...'lol
Read it for yourself..

Very interesting...
Keith in Michigan

United States

#29 Aug 17, 2006
well, there you go, even retrievers attack, not just pit bulls
Keith in Michigan

United States

#30 Aug 18, 2006
To all you Pit Bull haters out there, this is what Beijing, China is doing to EVERY dog....

http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/.shared/image....

Look at this picture. If we start with eliminating pit bulls, is this what's next? Is this what we want to become?
Vickie

Trenton, MI

#31 Aug 29, 2006
they are working on a statewide ban in Michigan. Please help stop the ban! I'm trying to find the petition on line if anyone knows the web site please let me know!
Phathead

Denver, CO

#32 Sep 13, 2006
Its hard for me to comprehend that people would think that a breed specific ban would help with dog attacks. A dog is only as good as it is trained, this goes for any breed. Its incompitant idiots like intolerant that are in the mind frame of segregation in this country. Regardless of race, breed, nationality, religious orgin, we should love and take care of gods living creatures. Thanks to people who think like this we will soon all be living in a freedomless america, god bless us all.
Proud Pitbull Owner

Mobile, AL

#33 Sep 23, 2006
It's disappointing to see how many people will make broad generalizations about a topic without documented fact. Much of the negative propoganda against the Pitbull Breed in this thread appears to be based on emotion and myth rather than fact.

The breed actually scores higher in the American Temperament Tests on dog breeds than many dogs people consider to be more friendly or appropriate. Dogs are put through a series of confrontational situations and the temperament of each breed is measured based on the results. American Staffordshire Terriers and American Pitbull Terriers consistantly remain in the 83rd percentile when it comes to agreeable temperament. They continually score higher than beagles, cocker spaniels, dalmatians, poodles, old english sheepdogs, pekingese, shih tzus and many, many others.

Pits do not have locking jaws or any special enzymes in their saliva that makes them crazy, their brains do not swell making them go crazy, there is no documentation that they have more bite pressure per square inch than other breeds and because they were initially bred as sporting dogs for fighting OTHER DOGS (as the ENTIRE breed of terriers were originally agressive toward other animals for varying purposes) people wrongfully make the connection that this leads to aggresiveness toward humans.(In actuality, the highest obedience trial record of all time is held by a Pit Bull.) They are actually used quite often as service dogs, rescue dogs, therapy dogs, etc. The media has an offensive record of locking on to the exceptions rather than the norm. When it comes down to it there are more than 56 different breeds of dogs that have been involved in fatal attacks in the world. More than 37 just in the United States. It's the sensationalism of individual instances that perpetuate these inaccuracies in reporting. It's interesting that focusing on the exception rather than the norm is what is en vogue for reporting about animal attacks. You never hear about the Pomeranian that killed a baby in the news, but if a Pitbull crosses the street the wrong way people have to make it the leading story.

Also, because any time there is a dog attack on a person or other animal and the dog was of stocky build and had a blockish head people have a bad habit of autimatically classifying it as a pit bull. If you will go to this website and take the challenge of identifying an actual American Pitbull Terrier, you may be surprised to discover which one is correct. Unfortunately, most people are ignorant when it comes to identifying the correct breed and lump any block-headed, strong dog into the classification of a Pitbull.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findp...

So if witnesses can't even correctly identify breeds so much of the time, how can the negative statistics against them even hold up when there are so many breeds of dogs being lumped into one category?
dan

Macomb, IL

#34 Sep 28, 2006
Intolerant wrote:
Only a fool would defend the pit-bull bread. A pit-bull that harms a human needs to be destroyed. All the states need to ban the pit-bulls. Get your heads out of your ass and wake up to reality. Pit-bulls are stupid and were bread to kill. If you feel that you need a pet that scares people and comes off loving to you get a German Shepard. At least the German Shepard will not turn against owners, is very intelligent and doesn't destroy it's packs family members and even thinks before harming an intruder.
Pit-bull=Murderer. Pit-bull=Con-Artist. Pit-bull Owners=Dumbasses
Lots of facts and evidence that pit-bulls are not a friendly-loyal dog.
Why do pit-bull owners blame other pit-bull owners instead of the pit-bull? Because pit-bull owners are dumber than the pit-bull dog.
I agree 100%, people are stupid to think pit bulls should be defended. They should be whiped off the face of the earth. What people don't realize is that it doesn't matter how you raise a pitbull, they are bred to kill and will snap at any time. How could you raise one around a kid that is just sick..How many attacks will it take before people realize they should be extinct. Do you people not realize the danger of these dogs? I hear about these dogs biteing and turning on thier owners every week around here......if it is that bad here then imagin the rest of the world. I just heard about a lady on the news yesturday that said she had been raiseing pit bulls for twelve years...then she went to feed them one day and 2 of them turned on her and she practicaly got her face ripped off, she is scared for life and she even said after hearing the real facts that if she would have known the danger she never would have owned ONE damn pit bull. See admited that she assumed that they only attacked thier owner if treated poorly or abused. WAKE UP
dan

Macomb, IL

#35 Sep 28, 2006
I hope your pit bulls turn on you.........then maybe you will wake up. It has nothing to do with the owners or how they raise them.

“*Puerto Rican Babe*”

Puerto Rico

#36 Sep 28, 2006
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100%, people are stupid to think pit bulls should be defended. They should be whiped off the face of the earth. What people don't realize is that it doesn't matter how you raise a pitbull, they are bred to kill and will snap at any time. How could you raise one around a kid that is just sick..How many attacks will it take before people realize they should be extinct. Do you people not realize the danger of these dogs? I hear about these dogs biteing and turning on thier owners every week around here......if it is that bad here then imagin the rest of the world. I just heard about a lady on the news yesturday that said she had been raiseing pit bulls for twelve years...then she went to feed them one day and 2 of them turned on her and she practicaly got her face ripped off, she is scared for life and she even said after hearing the real facts that if she would have known the danger she never would have owned ONE damn pit bull. See admited that she assumed that they only attacked thier owner if treated poorly or abused. WAKE UP
That is completly unfair to make that generalization. Are you trying to tell me that for every other breed that attacks and kills, it is because of the owner, but when it's a Pit Bull, it is just the breed? That is nonsense. Around where I live in Baltimore, you would think Pit Bulls would be a serious issue. There have been 3 deadly attacks by Labrador Retrievers up the street from me, and 1 non-fatal attack by a Yorkshire Terrier, that was faught off by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. So, what does that mean? That is just a temporary mind set for the dog? Later on it would have killed me? Highly unlikely.

Humans aren't born murderers, and dogs aren't born aggressive. Aggression is not bred into a dog, it is taught. Physical attributes are "bred" into dogs. Certain breeds were created with aggression problems, such as the Cane Corso or Presa Canario, but with the proper owner, they make lovely dogs. I rescued 2 female Pit Bulls. My youngest female, who is of 7 months now, has been to the Veternarian a total of 3 times since I adopted her... she was mauled by 2 German Shepherds, almost costing her her life, and than was bitten by a Beagle in the neck, just barely missing any major veins. She never once bit back, which is probably why her injuries were so severe. I never once taught her aggression, so she had no idea to even defend herself. I'd like your links or any proof that either of my girls will become viscious, and turn on me. Your lacking quite a lot of this "proof".
Keith in Michigan

Defiance, OH

#37 Oct 3, 2006
Wow, nice argument Dan, "they are bred to kill and will snap at any time", it doesn't take a genius to see that YOU just disproved your whole "they snap for no reason theory. "They are bred to kill", maybe if corrupt people would breed them to love they wouldn't be such a bad dog. I guess i just don't see how the way a person raises the dog is the dog's fault. And by the way, talk to any kanine scientist, they will say there is nothing in a pit bulls brain that will just make them snap. As stated before by many experts, almost all pit bulls who attacked showed signs that something was wrong and the owner missed it. I'm glad this breed has your loving support in unfair battle dan.
Keith in Michigan

Defiance, OH

#38 Oct 3, 2006
and if you didn't know this either, dogs are not bred with mental traits, they are bred with physical traits. Dogs get violent behavior from improper raising.
quenton

Sherwood Park, Canada

#39 Oct 9, 2006
Vickie wrote:
they are working on a statewide ban in Michigan. Please help stop the ban! I'm trying to find the petition on line if anyone knows the web site please let me know!
I currently own a bull mastiff staffi cross , i have never had problems at all with him!I adopted a pure american pit bull who i guess was fought buy the scars on his face and chest i, took him and gave him lots of love and never had any problems with him, i ended up giving him to a friend with a 11 yrs old daughter, which he completely adored her and he is so happy in his reformed life!Also when i was a 4 yrs old child my aunts german shepard attacked me and i aslmost lost my left eye!I think we need to fight the bans because there are way more dogs that attack then pit bull breeds, the government needs to only sell pits to people who can pass clerance tests so the breed isnt abused, cause lets face it they are very powerfull animals and if you are not a fit owner you shouldnt have one, further more it makes me angry that we only hear publicity towards pit bull attacks why not all the labs and shepards , if that happened and pit bull attacks werent so sensationalised all breeds would be banned .If you need to contact me i am at [email protected]!
josh

UK

#40 Oct 24, 2006
im a big dog lover its very said to here that your address was in the paper thay had no right and at the end of the day its how you bring the dog up and i have to say the pit bull is my fav
Mark

Chillicothe, OH

#41 Oct 29, 2006
If these dogs turned on their owners their wouldnt be any. DUH
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Cas

Lehi, UT

#43 Nov 8, 2006
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow you truley got that case closed! Didnt you!? If you want to make pit bulls your focus then you mind as well include humans! Why dont we just wipe out every one that does something dumb, ignorant, or violent. Its the owners choice to choose that breed of dog and they will live with the consciences. So it may be true a pit bull turned on their owner, but you have failed to realize there are other dogs that have also and if you feel like arguing that, just mind your own damn buisness. You were not the one who got bit!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 58 min Respect71 45,003
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 1 hr Respect71 27,125
Gangstalked 1 hr Observer 1
News Governor, Denver mayor welcome dozens of new re... 7 hr jake 2
Mayor Hancok/Sheriff White have blood on their ... 21 hr MAGA2016 1
Mayor Hancock and His Sanctuary City Democrat B... Wed Walther 1
Denver mayor,Denver sheriff,Gov Hickenlooper Wed VF 201 Navy Retired 1

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages