Atheists Billboards: 'God Is An Imaginary Friend'

There are 20 comments on the TheDenverChannel story from Jan 23, 2012, titled Atheists Billboards: 'God Is An Imaginary Friend'. In it, TheDenverChannel reports that:

The billboards say, "God is an imaginary friend. Choose reality, it will be better for all of us.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TheDenverChannel.

Level 4

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#2192 Jun 13, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet millions of people believe Jesus lived as God on earth…
Millions of people believe Krishna lived as Vishnu on Earth.
Respect71 wrote:
The evidence is there, you chose to ignore it
I didn't ignore it, I refuted it. You had no rebuttal because your "evidence" is so piss-poor that it can't be defended.

"Some cultists wrote about events decades after the fact...of course they're true!"
Respect71 wrote:
Step outside yourself enough to have a little objectivity and consider the fact this amazing world was created by a loving God who wants a RELATIONSHIP with YOU.
Objectively, Christianity is an absurdity.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2193 Jun 13, 2012
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Millions of people believe Krishna lived as Vishnu on Earth.
<quoted text>
I didn't ignore it, I refuted it. You had no rebuttal because your "evidence" is so piss-poor that it can't be defended.
"Some cultists wrote about events decades after the fact...of course they're true!"
<quoted text>
Objectively, Christianity is an absurdity.
The evidence is what it is… Your aren’t refuting, your disbelieving.
Your distain for Christians and God always shows through.
You’re bias.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2194 Jun 13, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence is what it is… Your aren’t refuting, your disbelieving.
Your distain for Christians and God always shows through.
You’re bias.
Once again, all my points are ignored.

- Lack of any historical references
- Absurdity of the claims
- Questionable authorship
- Biased writings
- Lack of independence

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2195 Jun 13, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet millions of people believe Jesus lived as God on earth…
The evidence is there, you chose to ignore it, just like you did with Stalin and Mao, just like your contentions with science, and taking tiny bits of the Bible and saying it is something that it isn’t. I know you hate God and Christians and religions and think you know and understand everything while all these people are beneath you. You obviously are in your own little world and you like it. So stay there.
OR
Step outside yourself enough to have a little objectivity and consider the fact this amazing world was created by a loving God who wants a RELATIONSHIP with YOU.
Except, of course, there is absolutely no proof of what you are claiming...

Level 6

Location hidden

#2196 Jun 14, 2012
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, all my points are ignored.
- Lack of any historical references
- Absurdity of the claims
- Questionable authorship
- Biased writings
- Lack of independence
-They are historical references
-Absurd that no one disputed the claims.
-Says Wikipedia?
-Biased doesn’t mean untrue.
-4 Separate Gospels

Level 6

Location hidden

#2197 Jun 14, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Except, of course, there is absolutely no proof of what you are claiming...
Evidence is there you can ignore it like box if you’d like.

Level 1

Location hidden

#2198 Jun 14, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence is there you can ignore it like box if you’d like.
Um no...neither you nor anyone else throughout recorded history has provided any evidence that Jesus was the son of some god or that the any god has ever existed.

If there were evidence, you'd provide it. Instead, you keep saying bizarrely random things like "its there, you just don't see it" or "you choose to ignore it."

Its lame, but at least everyone sees you for what you are.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2199 Jun 14, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
-They are historical references
-Absurd that no one disputed the claims.
-Says Wikipedia?
-Biased doesn’t mean untrue.
-4 Separate Gospels
- No, they're not. And the objection was no OUTSIDE historical references.
- I already addressed this. No one would dispute the claims of the small cult.
- Says Bible scholars.
- It sure doesn't help, does it? Again, if a couple of David Koresh's followers said he could fly, would you believe it?
- They're not independent. Matthew and Luke copy from both Mark and Q.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2200 Jun 14, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Um no...neither you nor anyone else throughout recorded history has provided any evidence that Jesus was the son of some god or that the any god has ever existed.
If there were evidence, you'd provide it. Instead, you keep saying bizarrely random things like "its there, you just don't see it" or "you choose to ignore it."
Its lame, but at least everyone sees you for what you are.
We all get it… You don’t believe in God. And we all see you for what you are.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2201 Jun 14, 2012
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
- No, they're not. And the objection was no OUTSIDE historical references.
- I already addressed this. No one would dispute the claims of the small cult.
- Says Bible scholars.
- It sure doesn't help, does it? Again, if a couple of David Koresh's followers said he could fly, would you believe it?
- They're not independent. Matthew and Luke copy from both Mark and Q.
-Yes they are.
-Why? Why didn’t they attempt to stop that small cult from spreading worldwide and even taking positions of power?
-that you found in Wikipedia?
-LOL… Now there’s an example of a small cult that was stopped.
-Again showing your ignorance… There are 4 Gospels. Maybe you should try reading the Bible.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2202 Jun 14, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
-Yes they are.
Unknown authors, writing about fantasies, decades after the fact, with clear indications of copying and mythology building? No, not history.
Respect71 wrote:
-Why? Why didn’t they attempt to stop that small cult from spreading worldwide and even taking positions of power?
Spreading worldwide? Taking positions of power? What time period are you talking about here?

While the cult was small, no one CARED. Hundreds of years later when Christianity was big, no one could possible refute the myths.
Respect71 wrote:
-that you found in Wikipedia?
Back to the wikipedia canard. No, not from wikipedia. I've read about this. Apparently you haven't.
Respect71 wrote:
-LOL… Now there’s an example of a small cult that was stopped.
Stopped by a government after crimes were committed. No one refuted their BELIEFS.
Respect71 wrote:
-Again showing your ignorance… There are 4 Gospels. Maybe you should try reading the Bible.
I never said there weren't 4 Gospels, so what the hell are you talking about?

Matthew and Luke copy off of Mark and Q. Period. They're not independent.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2203 Jun 14, 2012
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Unknown authors, writing about fantasies, decades after the fact, with clear indications of copying and mythology building? No, not history.
<quoted text>
Spreading worldwide? Taking positions of power? What time period are you talking about here?
While the cult was small, no one CARED. Hundreds of years later when Christianity was big, no one could possible refute the myths.
<quoted text>
Back to the wikipedia canard. No, not from wikipedia. I've read about this. Apparently you haven't.
<quoted text>
Stopped by a government after crimes were committed. No one refuted their BELIEFS.
<quoted text>
I never said there weren't 4 Gospels, so what the hell are you talking about?
Matthew and Luke copy off of Mark and Q. Period. They're not independent.
LOL… Yes it is history.
You’re arguing with me in the year 2012.
LOL… You have an answer for everything. Creek and Roman myth stood up to time as well right?
I read books, not Wikipedia until you started to cite from it.
No one?
It sounds like you’re saying they are all the same? Am I wrong? There are 4 separate Gospels.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2204 Jun 14, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL… Yes it is history.
No, it isn't. It's mythology.
Respect71 wrote:
You’re arguing with me in the year 2012.
You're arguing with me on a Thor's Day.

Tell me what time period you are arguing that people should have debunked Christianity.
Respect71 wrote:
Creek and Roman myth stood up to time as well right?
Hindu and Buddhist myth are older than Christianity. Religions survive or die by how well their followers are able to survive and wipe out other groups.
Respect71 wrote:
I read books, not Wikipedia until you started to cite from it.
Yes, you read the Bible and Christian apologetics. You obviously don't read anything remotely critical or objective.
Respect71 wrote:
No one?
The Branch Davidians were broken up due to violence, not refutation of beliefs.
Respect71 wrote:
It sounds like you’re saying they are all the same? Am I wrong? There are 4 separate Gospels.
No, I am saying that Luke and Matthew copy off of earlier texts, which (1) makes them not independent and (2) shows that they're not eyewitnesses because eyewitnesses don't need to take other peoples' version of events; they can tell their own.

You sound like you were totally unaware of this copying. I thought you were an expect on the Bible.

Level 1

Location hidden

#2205 Jun 14, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
We all get it… You don’t believe in God. And we all see you for what you are.
right, thanks.

Meanwhile, just so we're clear, you still have not provided any evidence of god's existence.

Don't feel bad - no one else has either.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2206 Jun 14, 2012
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it isn't. It's mythology.
<quoted text>
You're arguing with me on a Thor's Day.
Tell me what time period you are arguing that people should have debunked Christianity.
<quoted text>
Hindu and Buddhist myth are older than Christianity. Religions survive or die by how well their followers are able to survive and wipe out other groups.
<quoted text>
Yes, you read the Bible and Christian apologetics. You obviously don't read anything remotely critical or objective.
<quoted text>
The Branch Davidians were broken up due to violence, not refutation of beliefs.
<quoted text>
No, I am saying that Luke and Matthew copy off of earlier texts, which (1) makes them not independent and (2) shows that they're not eyewitnesses because eyewitnesses don't need to take other peoples' version of events; they can tell their own.
You sound like you were totally unaware of this copying. I thought you were an expect on the Bible.
You say it’s mythology, but doesn’t make it so.
It’s Flag Day!

I grew up in public school and universities… and it’s you who isn’t being objective.

More evidence of your non-objectiveness.

I am aware and I am by far no Biblical expert, but I understand the evidence as it was pointed out to me by so very highly educated men. You, however, take a small part of what was written in the Gospels and try to paint it as they all copied each other from some unknown writer thereby proves without a doubt that the Gospels are fake, unreal, and everyone else is an idiot for even considering it as truth. Where have I experienced this before with you… Oh that’s right… 3 verses about slavery.

What it boils down to, Box… is I believe in something and you believe in nothing… So your solution is to degrade and demean others who believe so you can feel like you have something. You don’t.

I can’t wish you luck, but I do pray for you.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2207 Jun 14, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
right, thanks.
Meanwhile, just so we're clear, you still have not provided any evidence of god's existence.
Don't feel bad - no one else has either.
LOL... You were born and you didn't even get to decide :0 That's my favorite evidence.

Trust me, I feel bad that you reject the evidence.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2208 Jun 14, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You say it’s mythology, but doesn’t make it so.
They're unconfirmable supernatural religious stories. Myths.
Respect71 wrote:
It's Flag Day!
What time period, Respect? Why are you avoiding this question? Is it because you know you're going to get pinned once you respond?
Respect71 wrote:
I grew up in public school and universities… and it’s you who isn’t being objective.
False. My standard of evidence and my criticisms are consistent and logical. Your standard is inconsistent: there are many other religious beliefs with the same amount of "evidence" which you choose not to follow.
Respect71 wrote:
You, however, take a small part of what was written in the Gospels and try to paint it as they all copied each other from some unknown writer thereby proves without a doubt that the Gospels are fake, unreal, and everyone else is an idiot for even considering it as truth.
A small part? We're talking about HUGE CHUNKS lifted from Mark and Q.
http://www.tms.edu/GospelComparisons.aspx
Respect71 wrote:
What it boils down to, Box… is I believe in something and you believe in nothing… So your solution is to degrade and demean others who believe so you can feel like you have something. You don’t.
No, what it comes down to is that you believe in absurdities and I believe absurd beliefs should be eliminated.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2209 Jun 14, 2012
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
They're unconfirmable supernatural religious stories. Myths.
<quoted text>
What time period, Respect? Why are you avoiding this question? Is it because you know you're going to get pinned once you respond?
<quoted text>
False. My standard of evidence and my criticisms are consistent and logical. Your standard is inconsistent: there are many other religious beliefs with the same amount of "evidence" which you choose not to follow.
<quoted text>
A small part? We're talking about HUGE CHUNKS lifted from Mark and Q.
http://www.tms.edu/GospelComparisons.aspx
<quoted text>
No, what it comes down to is that you believe in absurdities and I believe absurd beliefs should be eliminated.
Circles… Back to you.
All of time.
No I did grow up in public schools and I survived… Barley.
LOL… Dude… I little bigger than your three verse slave assertion. The evidence remains.
This coming from someone who believes in NOTHING, and is now starting to sound like Stalin and Mao.
Good going little guy… I still pray for you.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2210 Jun 14, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Circles… Back to you.
What?
Respect71 wrote:
All of time.
All of time? Ok, then clearly we can apply the same standard to other religions.(1) Please find all the small cults in America and refute their religious claims.(2)Please refute the events of Buddha's life.
Respect71 wrote:
LOL… Dude… I little bigger than your three verse slave assertion. The evidence remains.
A little bigger? A guess the Gospels only have a handful of verses now.
Respect71 wrote:
This coming from someone who believes in NOTHING, and is now starting to sound like Stalin and Mao.
I sound like Stalin and Mao? That's funny. I advocate for the changing of minds to remove superstition and silly beliefs in society, not for violence.

You know who DID want people killed for having beliefs he didn't agree with? Your god, in the Old Testament.

Enjoy worshiping your monster.

Level 1

Location hidden

#2211 Jun 14, 2012
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL... You were born and you didn't even get to decide :0 That's my favorite evidence.
Trust me, I feel bad that you reject the evidence.
Um...you know they have books on human reproduction that can tell you where babies come from.

LOL...seriously...that's your proof?

You lose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 8 min Wilbur 17,572
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 18 min Terra Firma 20,750
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 1 hr NorCal Native 3,472
Murderous White Cops May 3 sally 2
U.S. Goverment and Police using Rape and Torture May 3 sally 2
Local Denver Street Gang Gets Exposure! (Mar '10) May 3 usanotperft 272
jews May 3 LactatingGoatFetish 2
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]