Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 42837 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

Spies r Us

Dalton, MA

#2207 Jun 11, 2014
The perverted charlatan spewith over.#2206
Spies r Us

Dalton, MA

#2208 Jun 11, 2014
Fascist Marxist all rolled into one. If that is even possible.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#2209 Jun 11, 2014
Archer wrote:
<quoted text>
By throwing a fit instead of moving on to the next baker.
No i have not been educated by that.
Choke dead on your clues.
Screw the bible.
So now exercising their right to due process is "throwing a fit," eh?
Archie

Denver, CO

#2210 Jun 11, 2014
Those bitches are going to force you to make their cake.
Sniffle.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#2211 Jun 11, 2014
Archie wrote:
<quoted text>
Rosa Parks was not telling people how to operate thier private bussiness.
I guess the lunch counter sit-ins she helped inspire mean nothing?
Arch

Denver, CO

#2212 Jun 11, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I guess the lunch counter sit-ins she helped inspire mean nothing?
It's just a poor analogy. I think a cake shop is a little different from taxpayer-funded public transportation.
Arch

Denver, CO

#2213 Jun 11, 2014
Yes of course being black is not a choice. Sniffle.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#2214 Jun 11, 2014
Arch wrote:
Yes of course being black is not a choice. Sniffle.
So being gay was a choice for you?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#2215 Jun 11, 2014
Arch wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just a poor analogy. I think a cake shop is a little different from taxpayer-funded public transportation.
It is worth noting that the same people who are defending this man's religious freedom tend to be the same people who want to deny religious freedom to gays and lesbians.

As for a cake shop being different than a tax funded public utility, please note that those utilities must obey the same laws regarding business as anyone else.

I don't understand why you support religious discrimination? But then you oppose SSM so I guess it makes sense using religion to discriminate.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#2216 Jun 11, 2014
The entitlement issues of the supporters of this guy are staggering.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#2217 Jun 11, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
So now exercising their right to due process is "throwing a fit," eh?
You said it.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#2218 Jun 11, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>So being gay was a choice for you?
I think I was born gay but the year that sweet Donna Greenberg's tits sprouted like magic I chose to be straight forever! And never looked back. I used to call her "Donna do you wanna?" and she usually did. Ah good times.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2219 Jun 11, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>No need to remind me of an Act that has no bearing on the Constitutionality of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 OR the duly and democratically passed laws of the State of CO. that ban discrimination based on religious beliefs.
But feel free to provide a link where any court has ruled that religion can be used to deny service to a customer in a business setting.*
In case you haven't noticed, most religious people who support SSM are not trying to ignore the laws in States that still ban SSM.
What about THEIR religious freedom?
Get used to these questions because until your side can give reasonable answers to such question which Judges will undoubtedly ask, you can't use religion as a basis to discriminate in Public Accommodations.*
* the lack of any case where this defense has been successfully argued should convince people that it's a useless defense
“In case you haven't noticed, most religious people who support SSM are not trying to ignore the laws in States that still ban SSM.” This is a good thing and you should return the respect and allow them to believe in traditional marriage without fear of government punishment for your belief.

The Colorado Civil Liberty Commission is on record calling the legal matters of this case a “technicality” showing there bias as the same as you. They ignored the facts and the law to condemn the baker based on political correctness and personal bias.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2220 Jun 11, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I notice you ignore this from your link:
The bill was signed into law by President Bill Clinton and was passed by a unanimous U.S. House and a near unanimous U.S. Senate with three dissenting votes.[2] It was held unconstitutional as applied to the states in the City of Boerne v. Flores decision in 1997, which ruled that the RFRA is not a proper exercise of Congress's enforcement power. But it continues to be applied to the federal government, for instance in Gonzales v. O Centro Espirita Beneficente Uniao do Vegetal, because Congress has broad authority to carve out exemptions from federal laws and regulations that it itself has authorized. In response to City of Boerne v. Flores, some individual states passed State Religious Freedom Restoration Acts that apply to state governments and local municipalities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedo...
Why are you citing a law that was declared Unconstitutional?
That's as silly as someone citing Baker vs Nelson
Only in parts, based on that case, the RFRA, like DOMA, has been struck unconstitutional, yet is still on the books and whats left applies:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/court-...

Level 6

Location hidden

#2221 Jun 11, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Baking a cake is NOT a religious practice. A bakery is NOT a church.
What is a wedding cake used for? To celebrate a graduation, or a birthday? Forcing a person to use their talents to support something they don’t believe in is not right!

Level 6

Location hidden

#2222 Jun 11, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
SCOTUS decides what is constitutional, not you.
The baker refused service based on sexual orientation. In refusing service, he violated the gay couple's civil rights. That is illegal in Colorado. Plain and simple. End of story.
This baker is free to believe whatever he wants to believe about gay couples getting married. He is NOT free to break the law. Baking a cake isn't a belief. It is conduct. No one interfered with his right to believe whatever he wants.
Your statements only show that you want government to force your beliefs upon others... I stand for freedom for ALL Americans.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2223 Jun 11, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
He's not being punished for his beliefs. Religious freedom does NOT mean that somebody who has a business has a right to discriminate against members of the public who want to patronize his business.
Was the baker fined? No
Was the baker thrown in jail? No
Was the baker FORCED out of his livelihood? Yes! Despite the legal failing of your side he will no long run a business. Thats your goal, is the harm Americans you don’t believe the same as you.
Level 4

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#2224 Jun 11, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a wedding cake used for? To celebrate a graduation, or a birthday? Forcing a person to use their talents to support something they don’t believe in is not right!
Bakers don't believe in making cakes? Because that's all they're doing. There is no implicit "support" in selling someone a product made available to the public.

Your entire argument is based on complete nonsense, in order to make fake martyrs.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2225 Jun 11, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Bakers don't believe in making cakes? Because that's all they're doing. There is no implicit "support" in selling someone a product made available to the public.
Your entire argument is based on complete nonsense, in order to make fake martyrs.
So you stand in support of government punishing Americans who don’t believe the same as you. Good to know.
Level 4

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#2226 Jun 11, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you stand in support of government punishing Americans who don’t believe the same as you. Good to know.
No, belief is irrelevant. Actions are relevant. I do believe in the government punishing people who discriminate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ten Things to Do in Denver for $10 or Less (Eig... 4 hr Sweeney 4
kinfolk mc member a snitch! 4 hr TRUTH45 2
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 5 hr Respect71 26,169
News Mother, 2 Kids Go Missing In Highlands Ranch 5 hr Tamari 8
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 8 hr Amy 684
Denver tar (Nov '14) 8 hr Diahlio 60
Dr Michelle Herren Prescription for White Power... 15 hr Assquatch 2

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance