Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

Jun 6, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Denver Post

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Comments
1,901 - 1,920 of 2,931 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2014

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I support "gay marriage" for what it is, and it is you who seem to feel I "offer arguments against it." That's on you, sad how you continually try to put words in my mouth that I NEVER say.
I absolutely stand for freedom of all Americans. Again, I am not the one advocating for government punishment of those who font believe as I do, however, you are.
Spot on.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I support "gay marriage" for what it is, and it is you who seem to feel I "offer arguments against it." That's on you, sad how you continually try to put words in my mouth that I NEVER say.
I absolutely stand for freedom of all Americans. Again, I am not the one advocating for government punishment of those who font believe as I do, however, you are.
The baker isn't being punished for his beliefs. He's being punished for his ACTIONS.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
The baker isn't being punished for his beliefs. He's being punished for his ACTIONS.
You are speaking of is NON-ACTION… What was the non-action based on? His beliefs! Government punishing Americans who believe marriage is between a husband and wife and reserves his talents for a wedding cake to husbands and wives, is unconstitutional. The baker was literally being punished for doing NOTHING, and you and your friends support this because of your desire to force your beliefs upon those you don’t believe as you.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
Wait for it...
Respect71 wrote:
Do you see, how you just negated your own argument again?

Holding a religious belief is not a valid basis to ignore the law. If the country allowed people to require customers to comply to their religious moral standards in order to obtain services, it would violate the religious freedom of the customer, while also allowing the proprietor to be a law unto themselves.

Once again, you prove that you do not support same sex marriage, nor so you support actual religious freedom. You merely support free exercise so long as you agree with the beliefs of the practitioner.

Way to make a fool of yourself, Respect.

True free exercise means accepting things that you don't believe and potentially disagree with. The same is true of free speech.

In making such an argument, you make it clear that you do not believe in equality under the law, kiddo. Maybe you also believe that we should get rid of civil rights legislation that brought about desegregation?

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
You are speaking of is NON-ACTION… What was the non-action based on? His beliefs! Government punishing Americans who believe marriage is between a husband and wife and reserves his talents for a wedding cake to husbands and wives, is unconstitutional. The baker was literally being punished for doing NOTHING, and you and your friends support this because of your desire to force your beliefs upon those you don’t believe as you.
Actually, the denial of service is an action. Not only is it an action, but it is an illegal one.

The court has ruled upon this issue, and the Colorado Civil Rights Commission agreed unanimously. And, Colorado is not alone, Elaine Photography lost in court, as well as under multiple appeals, before the US Supreme Court declined to hear their case, leaving the ruling of the lower courts in tact.

Face it, kiddo, providing service to someone of differing beliefs is not an infringement of free exercise or freedom of speech.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

lides wrote:
Face it, kiddo, providing service to someone of differing beliefs is not an infringement of free exercise or freedom of speech.
Face it, kiddo, forcing someone to participate in a gay wedding is an infringement of their 1st amendment rights. Why do you hate the constitution?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

lides wrote:
True free exercise means accepting things that you don't believe and potentially disagree with. The same is true of free speech.
That's false. True free exercise means that everyone has a choice. You said you were all for freedom of choice but you lied. Nothing new there.
Level 4

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Face it, kiddo, forcing someone to participate in a gay wedding is an infringement of their 1st amendment rights. Why do you hate the constitution?
No one is being forced to participate in a gay wedding, so your post is moot.
Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
That's false. True free exercise means that everyone has a choice. You said you were all for freedom of choice but you lied. Nothing new there.
If free exercise of religion were an unlimited right, laws wouldn't even be possible.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
They weren't asked to "participate in a gay wedding," moron, they were asked to bake a cake...

Do you see the difference? Of course, you don't, you are a moron.
Wondering wrote:
Sorry, moron.

My ability to freely wave my fist ends at the tip of your nose...

Which is to say that my free exercise ends where yours begins. No one was forcing the baker to marry someone of the same sex. He has the right to hold his beliefs, but not to project them onto others.

Were you not a moron, you would understand.

Your child-like view of the world is terribly amusing, stupid person.
Hypocrite

Amherst, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians and Catholics are discriminated against all the time Dogboy. And how hypocritical of morons like you and your legion disgracing the Olympics and Russia in the past year. The gay mafia continues to attack Putin yet neglegt the Mideast nations who continually arrest gays, more recently in Kuwait. Our "Ally, Dogboy.
:o)
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't asked to "participate in a gay wedding," moron, they were asked to bake a cake...
By doing so they were participating. I don't expect you to understand. It's grown up stuff.
I'll pass on the rest of your reply, I'm sure it's just more of your same old BS.
Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
By doing so they were participating. I don't expect you to understand.
Selling someone a product is not participating in its use.

If a gun shop owner sells someone a gun, and the customer commits a murder, the shop owner is not charged as an accomplice for "participating" in the shooting.

If a cashier sells a pack of condoms to a man, and that man has sex with another woman later than night, the cashier does not become a "participant" in a three-way.
Wondering wrote:
It's grown up stuff.
It's idiot stuff.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
By doing so they were participating.
Sorry, kiddo, were you to understand grown up stuff, you might understand that they were breaking the law. A court found as much, and the civil rights board unanimously upheld the ruling. Now, clearly their jurisdiction does not match your own (in your own mind), but the reality remains that they have jurisdiction and you do not.
Were you not an idiot, you might understand.
Wondering wrote:
I don't expect you to understand. It's grown up stuff.
I wouldn't expect you to understand grown up stuff. Actually, you are so stupid, I wouldn't even expect you to understand that which might be grown up stuff on sight.
Wondering wrote:
I'll pass on the rest of your reply, I'm sure it's just more of your same old BS.
Wondering, the interesting this is that I read an respond to you non-sense. It is non-sense, but I respond to it none the less.

That you dismiss much of the substance of my response says more about you than anything else.

In addition to being bigoted, and stupid, you are also lazy.
Arch

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2014

Judged:

This is why gays get the sissy crybaby rap they deserve. Really your going to force someone to make something against their will. Wouldn't that cake have a bad aura or something like that? Maybe some secret sauces?
You would rather the cooks keep thier biases to themselves and smile and take your gay money and make your damn gay cake and do something behind your back, instead of facing you like a man and saying NO? Ok suit yourself.

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2014

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait for it...
<quoted text>
Do you see, how you just negated your own argument again?
Holding a religious belief is not a valid basis to ignore the law. If the country allowed people to require customers to comply to their religious moral standards in order to obtain services, it would violate the religious freedom of the customer, while also allowing the proprietor to be a law unto themselves.
Once again, you prove that you do not support same sex marriage, nor so you support actual religious freedom. You merely support free exercise so long as you agree with the beliefs of the practitioner.
Way to make a fool of yourself, Respect.
In making such an argument, you make it clear that you do not believe in equality under the law, kiddo. Maybe you also believe that we should get rid of civil rights legislation that brought about desegregation?
“Do you see, how you just negated your own argument again?” Not at all... Gays can “gay marry” and those who believe in traditional marriage don’t get punished by government... Your logic is bias to your side alone. How YOU feel about it is YOUR choice.

“Maybe you also believe that we should get rid of civil rights legislation that brought about desegregation?” I am not the one supporting punishment of Americans who don’t believe the same as you.

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2014

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the denial of service is an action. Not only is it an action, but it is an illegal one.
The court has ruled upon this issue, and the Colorado Civil Rights Commission agreed unanimously. And, Colorado is not alone, Elaine Photography lost in court, as well as under multiple appeals, before the US Supreme Court declined to hear their case, leaving the ruling of the lower courts in tact.
They agreed by ignoring the law in favor of yours and their agenda. Sad but true.
Your goal of putting a baker out of business because he didn’t believe the same as you is achieved.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2014

Respect71 wrote:
“Do you see, how you just negated your own argument again?” Not at all...
Actually, you did exactly that. You claim one thing, but then immediately try to pursue an exemption that would exclude those of religion from having to follow the law.

Some would call that hypocrisy.
Respect71 wrote:
Gays can “gay marry” and those who believe in traditional marriage don’t get punished by government...
They only get punished if they break the law, kiddo.
Respect71 wrote:
Your logic is bias to your side alone.
Sorry, kiddo, I support everyone's rights. Providing a service for someone with diverging views does not violate anyone's constitutional rights.
Respect71 wrote:
How YOU feel about it is YOUR choice.
Of course, I am not trying to discriminate against anyone. That is the difference.
Respect71 wrote:
“Maybe you also believe that we should get rid of civil rights legislation that brought about desegregation?” I am not the one supporting punishment of Americans who don’t believe the same as you.
Sorry, kiddo, anti discrimination laws have regularly been upheld as constitutional, and providing a service for someone with differing beliefs does not violate ANY constitutional right.

Grow up.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2014

lides wrote:
Sorry, kiddo, I support everyone's rights.
Liar, liar, pants on fire!

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2014

Wondering wrote:
Liar, liar, pants on fire!
Wondering, it's funny how you offer playground taunts as you fail to address the topic at hand on any level.

Were you not a moron, perhaps your performance would be better?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last post wins! (Feb '11) 11 hr AmyFaith 24,645
D Unknown written about on the Disc of Nebra Tue Dial America is Feds 1
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) Tue KarlVIIIII 12,410
Denver Health Medical Center, place of horrors (Jul '13) Tue Bev Jamison 20
You rule the planet. How do you save the human... (Dec '12) Aug 25 Respect71 1,294
Broncos # 1---14/15 Aug 23 DenverFan 1
horny moms (Oct '13) Aug 23 wildace40 7
•••
•••
Denver Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Denver Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••