Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 57593 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1793 May 16, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It's a civil government institution. Anyone can say they're married. That doesn't make it so.
<quoted text>
Murder is always illegal by definition. You can say that abortion SHOULD be murder, but you cannot say that it IS murder.
<quoted text>
Of course. You can always believe whatever you want. People can think interracial marriage is phony too. Or marriage between non-virgins. Or anything else.
“Yes. It's a civil government institution.” No its not.

“Murder is always illegal by definition. You can say that abortion SHOULD be murder, but you cannot say that it IS murder.” I see. You have the idea that the federal government is what determines definitions. That explains why your thoughts are so disjointed and without true conclusion. Do you have a heart beat? If someone stops your heart do you have your life? A baby’s heart beats at 6 weeks of gestation… How many “abortions are performed AFTER the 6 weeks? Frankly I fear your answers because you put such a strong faith in government definitions.

Do you believe our Country is a democracy too?

lides

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1794 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
“Two people = two people. Get over it, kiddo.” Based on that, a father and son can marry? Brother and sister? How about a uncle and nice? This ““Two people = two people.” Is a gross display of your dishonesty.
Respect71 wrote:
As for your insulting comments toward me: I support “gay marriage” because I believe that my friends who are gay should have the ease of signing one piece of paper as opposed to many for them to be legally obligated to one another. I tout my position open and honestly, however, it is under the position I state not under the lie you perpetuate,“marriage quality”.
You've earned every insult that you have received.

You consistently lie as you say you support same sex marriage, but then offer arguments that clearly indicate to the contrary, you thoughtless twit.
Respect71 wrote:
The two relationships are very different things and both have the value to be defined.“gay marriage” and “marriage”. No matter what the law states, because of the differences between the two relationships, by NATURE there will always be a distinction.
Here's a clue. The state acknowledges marriage, and states that allow same sex marriage don't have two different institutions. They just have marriage.

Your perceptions of the equality between a same sex couple sand their heterosexual counterpart is utterly irrelevant to the Constitutional guarantee of equal protection of the law for all.

However your constant rationalizations that same sex couples are lesser are indicative of your own bigotry.

Congratulations, way to make yourself look bad.
Level 4

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1795 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Yes. It's a civil government institution.” No its not.
An institution is an established law or practice. Marriage is a civil institution. It is established by government law.
Respect71 wrote:
“Murder is always illegal by definition. You can say that abortion SHOULD be murder, but you cannot say that it IS murder.” I see. You have the idea that the federal government is what determines definitions.
Uh, no. Try a dictionary. Murder is unlawful killing.
Respect71 wrote:
Do you have a heart beat? If someone stops your heart do you have your life? A baby’s heart beats at 6 weeks of gestation
Personhood is not based around heartbeats.
Respect71 wrote:
Do you believe our Country is a democracy too?
Our country is a Constitutional democratic republic, which is a form of democracy.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1796 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the government existed or not marriage would remain. Such criminal behavior to reserve a cake for husband and wife, and your goal should be to weed out all these evil cooks!
Why should my goal be what you decide?

Frankly the only goal I have is for the rules to apply equally to everyone.

You seem to have a problem with that. You want special rights for bakers and florists.

You sound like these black ministers who are whining that the gay rights movement is piggy backing off blacks.

BLACK PASTORS SPEAK OUT AGAINST GAY MARRIAGE
http://ryanjhite.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/bla...

Yet do we ever hear woman complain blacks piggy backed off them? Do we ever hear blacks whine about Christians or Hispanics trying to usurp the civil rights movement?

It's astounding watching a group of blacks use the civil rights movement and race as justification for discrimination. I suggest a course of remedial reading starting with: Lev. 19:18; Matthew 22:36-40; Mark 12:30-31; 1 John 4:20-21; 1 John 4:11

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#1797 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Except since SSM bans were passed it's a crime in some states for the people you mentioned (the minister and lawyer) to do what you say is so simple.” Please post the laws where “SSM bans were passed it's a crime”.
Well in Indiana it's a criminal offense punishable by jail and fines for a minister to practice their faith by marrying a same sex couple.

In ARK. Court clerks faced jail if they issued SSM licenses after a judge struck down the State ban.

I am sure we will uncover more dirty little secrets the religious right wrote into laws during the heady days of the anti-gay legislative frenzy of the 90's.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#1798 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>

“Marriage is defined by the Govt.” I’m sure you mean the government is redefining marriage, and yes, that is true.
No I meant what I wrote. As you know I have always said that the re-definition of marriage laws began by anti-gays who opposed court rulings that declared marriage a fundamental right for ALL citizens regardless of whether they are gay or straight.

But nice try at twisting my words.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#1799 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>

“The baker and florist each lost. These were criminal cases and there are no appeals left.” Lol, which is what you stand for, right? Punishing those who don’t believe in SSM and the way that you believe.
It has nothing to do with their views on religion, SSM or who wins the Super Bowl.

It's about applying the law to everyone on an equal basis. Not everyone who opposes SSM commits a crime you know. And it was no crime for them to feel as they did.

The crime they committed was violating the Public Accommodations laws that govern EVERY business.

Your attempts to twist my words and meaning are getting sloppier and sloppier.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#1800 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Two people = two people. Get over it, kiddo.” Based on that, a father and son can marry? Brother and sister? How about a uncle and nice? This ““Two people = two people.” Is a gross display of your dishonesty.
As for your insulting comments toward me: I support “gay marriage” because I believe that my friends who are gay should have the ease of signing one piece of paper as opposed to many for them to be legally obligated to one another. I tout my position open and honestly, however, it is under the position I state not under the lie you perpetuate,“marriage quality”. The two relationships are very different things and both have the value to be defined.“gay marriage” and “marriage”. No matter what the law states, because of the differences between the two relationships, by NATURE there will always be a distinction.
here's some remedial reading for you:
Bible Verses About Love Thy Neighbor
http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Ver...

the sin of sodom
Ezekiel 16:49

Obeying Authority
http://www.openbible.info/topics/obeying_auth...

Level 6

Location hidden

#1801 May 16, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Well in Indiana it's a criminal offense punishable by jail and fines for a minister to practice their faith by marrying a same sex couple.
In ARK. Court clerks faced jail if they issued SSM licenses after a judge struck down the State ban.
I am sure we will uncover more dirty little secrets the religious right wrote into laws during the heady days of the anti-gay legislative frenzy of the 90's.
Cite the law please.

Level 6

Location hidden

#1802 May 16, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>here's some remedial reading for you:
Bible Verses About Love Thy Neighbor
http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Ver...
the sin of sodom
Ezekiel 16:49
Obeying Authority
http://www.openbible.info/topics/obeying_auth...
You’re preaching to the choir. You do understand that I support “gay marriage”?

Level 6

Location hidden

#1803 May 16, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You've earned every insult that you have received.
You consistently lie as you say you support same sex marriage, but then offer arguments that clearly indicate to the contrary, you thoughtless twit.
<quoted text>
Here's a clue. The state acknowledges marriage, and states that allow same sex marriage don't have two different institutions. They just have marriage.
Your perceptions of the equality between a same sex couple sand their heterosexual counterpart is utterly irrelevant to the Constitutional guarantee of equal protection of the law for all.
However your constant rationalizations that same sex couples are lesser are indicative of your own bigotry.
Congratulations, way to make yourself look bad.
“You consistently lie as you say you support same sex marriage, but then offer arguments that clearly indicate to the contrary, you thoughtless twit.” Lol... No, sorry. You’re the liar, and blurts out “marriage equality”.

“Here's a clue. The state acknowledges marriage, and states that allow same sex marriage don't have two different institutions. They just have marriage.” True, yet the distinction remains by it very nature, regardless.

“However your constant rationalizations that same sex couples are lesser are indicative of your own bigotry.” I never claimed “same sex couples are lesser” which shows more of your compulsion to lie as well as your intellectual dishonesty.

“Congratulations, way to make yourself look bad.” I’m not the one lying, flinging insults and calling others names because I don’t agree with them.

Level 6

Location hidden

#1804 May 16, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>No I meant what I wrote. As you know I have always said that the re-definition of marriage laws began by anti-gays who opposed court rulings that declared marriage a fundamental right for ALL citizens regardless of whether they are gay or straight.
But nice try at twisting my words.
I was speaking truth not twisting your words.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#1805 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cite the law please.
OK

The marriage ban in Indiana and the laws in Ark.

Happy now?

LMAO!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#1806 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You’re preaching to the choir. You do understand that I support “gay marriage”?
Actually I don't know that.

All I know is you claim to support SSM yet you are perfectly happy supporting people who discriminate against gays and lesbians and their marriages.

lides

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1807 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
Lol... No, sorry. You’re the liar, and blurts out “marriage equality”.

True, yet the distinction remains by it very nature, regardless.

I never claimed “same sex couples are lesser” which shows more of your compulsion to lie as well as your intellectual dishonesty.

I’m not the one lying, flinging insults and calling others names because I don’t agree with them.
Actually, you are nothing but lies and hypocrisy.

You claim to support same sex marriage while you call it lesser, and rail against it; and you fail to grasp basic legal concepts regarding free speech and free exercise. You have conflated irrelevant issues, such as the voluntary resignation of Mozilla's newly appointed CEO.

The upshot is that you seem to have a child-like view of the world, and a lack of understanding of basic legal concepts.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#1808 May 16, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was speaking truth not twisting your words.
That is untrue.

Level 6

Location hidden

#1809 May 19, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>OK
The marriage ban in Indiana and the laws in Ark.
Happy now?
LMAO!
Please cite the law… Be specific. EXAMPLE: State: IC 5-2-8-5(e)(1-17)

Level 6

Location hidden

#1810 May 19, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Actually I don't know that.
All I know is you claim to support SSM yet you are perfectly happy supporting people who discriminate against gays and lesbians and their marriages.
I whole heartedly support “gay marriage” and I support individual liberty.

You, however, seem to have the idea it’s okay for government to force views upon other Americans who don’t believe as you.

Do you often patronize Christian owned businesses? Should government force you to shop a Christian owned establishment to prevent your discrimination against them?

Level 6

Location hidden

#1811 May 19, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you are nothing but lies and hypocrisy.
You claim to support same sex marriage while you call it lesser, and rail against it; and you fail to grasp basic legal concepts regarding free speech and free exercise. You have conflated irrelevant issues, such as the voluntary resignation of Mozilla's newly appointed CEO.
The upshot is that you seem to have a child-like view of the world, and a lack of understanding of basic legal concepts.
Cite my post where I state or “call it[‘gay marriage”] lesser, and rail against it;”. You can’t and that makes you a liar. Your dishonesty and blatant lies about this entire subject are sad.

Level 6

Location hidden

#1812 May 19, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>That is untrue.
It’s absolutely true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) Sat tbird19482 30,001
News Man in fight with builder over shifting soil (Jun '07) Fri byefelicia 110
Male on Female Facesitting topix? (Nov '16) Fri Wrestler facesitter 26
Denver co sex right now! (May '15) Oct 19 AJS3739 9
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Oct 18 good hacker here 743
Red Dot Storage Oct 16 Doug 4
Men wearing panties and bra and sex with women (Jul '16) Oct 14 Xdresser6317 26

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages