Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 58465 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

Brown Lipstick

Amherst, MA

#139 Dec 9, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
What ever happened to how talented/artistic homosexuals are supposed to be ?
They should have made their own cake !
Butt on the other hand who wants to eat a cake made by someone that has/had their fingers where we don't really want to think about .
If he made the cake the frosting would taste like s**t.

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#140 Dec 9, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>How many more letters can you people pull out of your ars to add to your silly acronym?
You never addressed my question. Are you alright with two homosexual guys running a bakery and having to decorate a cake everyday that says "God hates homosexuals", just because a customer comes in and orders one on a daily basis?
I am not okay with that because it is hate speech the same as a Nazi symbol would be. No one was asking the baker to do an anti-straight or anti-Christian cake. You are comparing apples and oranges. I stands for Intersex by the way. I know you can't stand gays. You made your point. I can see the hostility in your writing.

Level 1

Location hidden

#141 Dec 9, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>You're wrong on two counts. Your choice to sleep with other dudes doesn't give you some magical civil right. And refusing service to someone that intentionally insults your religious beliefs isn't against the law.
You liberal pukes would be singing a different tune if it was a an illegal Mexican alien or a towelhead terrorist who owned a bakery and was offended by a white, Christian, heterosexual male who wanted an American flag cake for Fourth of July.
The are anti-discrimination laws that protected people's freedom to be with who they want and be free of discrimination the same way they are laws to protect one's religious choices. Why should a belief supersede one's civil rights? According to your logic people should be still be able to discriminate against racial minorities too if they don't like them. Bible scripture isn't the law in this country, the constitution is.

Level 1

Location hidden

#144 Dec 10, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Constitution also says freedom of religion .
Whats going to happen when homosexuals sue for not being allowed to be Ministers or Rabbis or 'Imam Khatib/muslim'?
Churches are already protected in those areas. We are talking about businesses here. No one is being denied their freedom of religion. A good example to show that only goes so far is that teacher led prayers are NOT allowed on school grounds. You also need to research the separation of church and state. Businesses and schools would fall under that.

“Come and get it! ”

Level 3

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#145 Dec 10, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
I know you can't stand gays. You made your point. I can see the hostility in your writing.
You're a typical bigot making ignorant assumptions. You and your ilk are so blinded by your hatred of anyone who dares disagree with you, you're losing your grip on reality. This may surprise a hater like yourself, but I have no problem with gays. You people can go to your bars and do what you do behind closed doors. Just keep your sexually deviant lifestyle out of the public eye as it contributes to the moral decay of this society.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#147 Dec 10, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is against the law to refuse service to people in Colorado because they are gay, straight, bisexual, whatever. You are dodging the question. Apparently you don't agree that they shave no bigotry in my heart. You people think that since the man doesn't like gays and has religious views that oppose them that he should get a e!
“It is against the law to refuse service to people in Colorado because they are gay, straight, bisexual, whatever. You are dodging the question.”

Is this the question you wanted me to answer?

“Are you willing to have laws repealed that protected classes such as religion, race, gender, age, and disability?” Our Constitution provides us with the 1st Amendment... In our current state there is so much government involvement that it is starting to breech this amendment.

So you are willing to allow the government fine and jail a man for standing by his religious belief, which is protected by the 1st Amendment?

Or was it this question:“You just want the right to discriminate against gays because you don't agree with them. What if you didn't like Muslims or Jews?” I only deal with what is. The fact is gays and regions thrive in our Country because of the freedoms our Constitution provides.

Or was it this question:“Should you have the right to refuse service to other religions or blacks or Mexicans?” I wouldn’t. Is there a religion in America that believes, they shouldn’t deal with other religions os blacks or Mexicans? Again, let stick to what is.

Or was it this question:“Since you cannot fire someone for being black or Christian in the same way you can legally fire gay people I guess it is not a free country right?” <This question is not clear at all.

“It's not a free country when not every American citizen is able to be free of discrimination.” This is a ridiculous statment when you are subjected to “discrimination” of all forms on a daily basis.

“Blacks and women have their rights and gays will have full equality one day. It's coming day by day and has progressed a lot since a decade ago.” You are confusing discrimination with equality.

“You want those things protected but NOT sexual orientation because you don't feel gays are as worthy of protections such as someone's CHOICE of religion or the race they were born.” I am sorry but where did I post these statements? You are accusing me base on your feelings and not reality.

“I think people should have to obey the law.” If a law breaks the Constitution of the United States then it is a bad law.

“I would never think of refusing anyone service.” Good for you! That will cause you to have a great deal of costumers and if your service is good you may become very rich because of that!

“I guess I have no concept of excluding people because I have no bigotry in my heart.” Now let’s be honest, shall we? You do have bigotry in your heart for the baker who is unwilling to bake a cake for same sex couples.
“You people think that since the man doesn't like gays and has religious views that oppose them that he should get a free pass to break the law.” It’s his 1st Amendment right, just like it’s your right to NOT shop for a cake at his place.

“Sorry, I just don't see that it is okay to break the law.” Interesting you feel that way. How fast did you drive to work this morning?

“It is funny how when a judge rules for your side of the issue he's a good judge who "follows the constitution" but when he rules in favor of equality for gays you all label him an "activist judge." What is the point of having a judge if you are going to dictate how he or she rules? You all want to be the judge!” Interesting.

Level 6

Location hidden

#148 Dec 10, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let them starve?! You are a cruel and heartless bigot and certainly don't act like a good Christian and American. You don't seem to have sympathy for anyone that isn't in a majority status. You are not okay with racism but being anti-gay is okay. It's still bigotry and discrimination. What is someone had strong beliefs against the equality of women or blacks? Fortunately the majority of Americans do not feel as you do. Even many of those against same-sex marriage are for hate crimes protections, against Don't Ask, Don't Tell, equality for gays in everything else, including job protections and protections in housing and public accommodations. Thank God things are changing for the better for gays and the majority of Americans are fair minded and not as cold and indifferent as you!
“Let them starve?!” I never posted “Let them starve”. I simply pointed out that the question “What if they had NO businesses that served them? Let them starve?” WAS NOT REALITY!

“You are a cruel and heartless bigot and certainly don't act like a good Christian and American.” Says the person who desires jail time and fines for the person who stands for his religious beliefs even though it’s guaranteed by our Constitution.

“You don't seem to have sympathy for anyone that isn't in a majority status. You are not okay with racism but being anti-gay is okay. It's still bigotry and discrimination.” You don’t know me. You’re projecting your feelings and beliefs and not looking at the situation objectively.

“What is someone had strong beliefs against the equality of women or blacks? Fortunately the majority of Americans do not feel as you do. Even many of those against same-sex marriage are for hate crimes protections, against Don't Ask, Don't Tell, equality for gays in everything else, including job protections and protections in housing and public accommodations. Thank God things are changing for the better for gays and the majority of Americans are fair minded and not as cold and indifferent as you!” My question to you is, after prosecuting, fining, and jailing the shop owner for his religious beliefs, will you then shop at his bakery?

Level 6

Location hidden

#149 Dec 10, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches are already protected in those areas. We are talking about businesses here. No one is being denied their freedom of religion. A good example to show that only goes so far is that teacher led prayers are NOT allowed on school grounds. You also need to research the separation of church and state. Businesses and schools would fall under that.
“Churches are already protected in those areas. We are talking about businesses here. No one is being denied their freedom of religion.” Then your understanding of the Constitution is very poor and misunderstood.

“A good example to show that only goes so far is that teacher led prayers are NOT allowed on school grounds. You also need to research the separation of church and state. Businesses and schools would fall under that.” You will need to research that. The 1st Amendment allows all expressions of religion no matter where you are, school, business, even a government worker can be a Christian and lead prayers... Just like when they open in Congress. You have a HUGE misunderstanding of our Constitution in favor of “political correctness”.

Level 1

Location hidden

#150 Dec 10, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“It is against the law to refuse service to people in Colorado because they are gay, straight, bisexual, whatever. You are dodging the question.”
Is this the question you wanted me to answer?
“Are you willing to have laws repealed that protected classes such as religion, race, gender, age, and disability?” Our Constitution provides us with the 1st Amendment... In our current state there is so much government involvement that it is starting to breech this amendment.
So you are willing to allow the government fine and jail a man for standing by his religious belief, which is protected by the 1st Amendment?
Or was it this question:“You just want the right to discriminate against gays because you don't agree with them. What if you didn't like Muslims or Jews?” I only deal with what is. The fact is gays and regions thrive in our Country because of the freedoms our Constitution provides.
Or was it this question:“Should you have the right to refuse service to other religions or blacks or Mexicans?” I wouldn’t. Is there a religion in America that believes, they shouldn’t deal with other religions os blacks or Mexicans? Again, let stick to what is.
Or was it this question:“Since you cannot fire someone for being black or Christian in the same way you can legally fire gay people I guess it is not a free country right?” <This question is not clear at all.
“It's not a free country when not every American citizen is able to be free of discrimination.” This is a ridiculous statment when you are subjected to “discrimination” of all forms on a daily basis.
“Blacks and women have their rights and gays will have full equality one day. It's coming day by day and has progressed a lot since a decade ago.” You are confusing discrimination with equality.
“You want those things protected but NOT sexual orientation because you don't feel gays are as worthy of protections such as someone's CHOICE of religion or the race they were born.” I am sorry but where did I post these statements? You are accusing me base on your feelings and not reality.
“I think people should have to obey the law.” If a law breaks the Constitution of the United States then it is a bad law.
“I would never think of refusing anyone service.” Good for you! That will cause you to have a great deal of costumers and if your service is good you may become very rich because of that!
“I guess I have no concept of excluding people because I have no bigotry in my heart.” Now let’s be honest, shall we? You do have bigotry in your heart for the baker who is unwilling to bake a cake for same sex couples.
“You people think that since the man doesn't like gays and has religious views that oppose them that he should get a free pass to break the law.” It’s his 1st Amendment right, just like it’s your right to NOT shop for a cake at his place.
“Sorry, I just don't see that it is okay to break the law.” Interesting you feel that way. How fast did you drive to work this morning?
“It is funny how when a judge rules for your side of the issue he's a good judge who "follows the constitution" but when he rules in favor of equality for gays you all label him an "activist judge." What is the point of having a judge if you are going to dictate how he or she rules? You all want to be the judge!” Interesting.
A lot to respond to! So in a nutshell you basically see gays as second class citizens and see no legal options for them to become first class citizens. You see them as inferior and see religion as a pass to do anything and everything without consequence.

“Come and get it! ”

Level 3

Traverse City

#151 Dec 10, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
My question to you is, after prosecuting, fining, and jailing the shop owner for his religious beliefs, will you then shop at his bakery?
Of course not! The pro homo bullies are like locusts. Once they've destroyed a person or organization that has a differing view than them, they'll move onto their next victim.

Level 1

Location hidden

#152 Dec 10, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>You're a typical bigot making ignorant assumptions. You and your ilk are so blinded by your hatred of anyone who dares disagree with you, you're losing your grip on reality. This may surprise a hater like yourself, but I have no problem with gays. You people can go to your bars and do what you do behind closed doors. Just keep your sexually deviant lifestyle out of the public eye as it contributes to the moral decay of this society.
All I will say is that I will do anything and everything that a straight couple can LEGALLY and ACCEPTABLY do in public. I am entitled to the same things the straight couples are and take for granted. I will not live my life any differently just because my existence offends you. If you were really okay with gays you would have no problem with them doing the same things straights do in public.

Level 1

Location hidden

#153 Dec 10, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Churches are already protected in those areas. We are talking about businesses here. No one is being denied their freedom of religion.” Then your understanding of the Constitution is very poor and misunderstood.
“A good example to show that only goes so far is that teacher led prayers are NOT allowed on school grounds. You also need to research the separation of church and state. Businesses and schools would fall under that.” You will need to research that. The 1st Amendment allows all expressions of religion no matter where you are, school, business, even a government worker can be a Christian and lead prayers... Just like when they open in Congress. You have a HUGE misunderstanding of our Constitution in favor of “political correctness”.
So if a teacher who is a Muslim led a prayer in class in front of your kid you'd have no problem with him or her being preached the Muslim religion? I'm assuming you are Christian.

“Come and get it! ”

Level 3

Traverse City

#154 Dec 10, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
you basically see gays as second class citizens and see no legal options for them to become first class citizens. You see them as inferior.
I see homosexuals as what they are. They don't deserve any more rights than a group of men in their 70's who demand special rights because they want to maintain relationships with high school girls. They're both sexual deviants, nothing more.

“Come and get it! ”

Level 3

Traverse City

#156 Dec 10, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
There's many a high school girl that's of legal age that likes older men .
So don't be discriminating against those 'legal age' girls .
Right, so I guess if a dirty old man on the sex offender list comes into a family bakery every week and orders the staff to make a "I love having sex with high school girls" cake, they must oblige.

Level 6

Location hidden

#157 Dec 10, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot to respond to! So in a nutshell you basically see gays as second class citizens and see no legal options for them to become first class citizens. You see them as inferior and see religion as a pass to do anything and everything without consequence.
“A lot to respond to! So in a nutshell you basically see gays as second class citizens and see no legal options for them to become first class citizens. You see them as inferior and see religion as a pass to do anything and everything without consequence.” No. You are projecting your opinion of political correctness and not hearing what I am saying.

The baker has 1st amendment rights and is now facing jail and fines against that right. That is what is wrong.

Is there a reason you refuse to answer my question to you? I answered all of your I believe.

My question to you is, after prosecuting, fining, and jailing the shop owner for his religious beliefs, will you then shop at his bakery?

Level 6

Location hidden

#158 Dec 10, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
So if a teacher who is a Muslim led a prayer in class in front of your kid you'd have no problem with him or her being preached the Muslim religion? I'm assuming you are Christian.
You are correct in assuming I am a Christian, and you are correct in that a Muslim has a 1st amendment right to lead a prayer in a class room just as my children have the right to pray to Jesus in class.

Level 1

Location hidden

#159 Dec 10, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
I see homosexuals as what they are. They don't deserve any more rights than a group of men in their 70's who demand special rights because they want to maintain relationships with high school girls. They're both sexual deviants, nothing more.
The majority does not share your view nor does the American Psychological Association.
Christiansharian Law

Philadelphia, PA

#160 Dec 10, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Right, so I guess if a dirty old man on the sex offender list comes into a family bakery every week and orders the staff to make a "I love having sex with high school girls" cake, they must oblige.
No one is, or is allowed to deny service in a place of public accommodations to on the basis of the customer's typical heterosexuality, as in the example, I assume, of you or your relative desiring a cake.

Businesses may refuse service for cause, not just on the basis of some protected, group attribute.

Sniffle.

Level 1

Location hidden

#161 Dec 10, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Right, so I guess if a dirty old man on the sex offender list comes into a family bakery every week and orders the staff to make a "I love having sex with high school girls" cake, they must oblige.
You keep forgetting the being gay is not a crime. Just because you want it to be so doesn't make it so. Keep dreaming!

Level 1

Location hidden

#162 Dec 10, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct in assuming I am a Christian, and you are correct in that a Muslim has a 1st amendment right to lead a prayer in a class room just as my children have the right to pray to Jesus in class.
Well I certainly hope our tax dollars aren't going to teachers to preach religion to kids. I know where I work I'd have to do my job not ignore the customers and start yelling out prayers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 37 min FoxKnews 30,212
Is Tom Martino Practicing Law? (Aug '14) Sat Curly Howard 4
Islamic Cake Bakery Call Thu Larry the Cable Guy 2
Local Denver Street Gang Gets Exposure! (Mar '10) Thu Chi 325
News Denver's Brik on York and DJ's Cafe have closed Dec 14 factcheck 1
News Rep. Buck Wants To STOP Settlement Of Sexual Mi... Dec 13 surfeagle 1
Play the "end of the word" game (Jul '11) Dec 13 Princess Hey 4,283

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance