Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 53867 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#115 Dec 9, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Because it's not about a cake, it's about advancing an agenda. I'm sure these douchebags shopped around just to find a bakery that wouldn't cater to their sexual perversion, so they could file a lawsuit and further expose their deviant lifestyle choice.
Sad, but I fear true.

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#116 Dec 9, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you consider old because I once thought 30 was ancient .
If you think old people 70's/80's having sex is sick just 'x' times that about 25 times & that's how most if not all really straight people feel about homosexuals having sex & marriage means SEX to 99.99%!
You all demanding marriage rights is a slap in the face to every heterosexual marriage & sorry but we can not help being sickened any more then you can so do not ever expect the majority of us to accept homosexual marriage !
BTW, I've seen many a hot looking older woman the only thing is you have to keep them on top or their boobs can sag or flop over.
But if you get married to a man it might be his might be yours but someday if you're luck enough to have a long life you'll have to deal with a wrinkled up old penis very saggy balls & loose butt hole .
It really doesn't and shouldn't concern you who else marries. Mind your own business and marriage. If someone else marrying affects your life and marriage I would highly recommend you seek counseling and/or marriage counseling.

Level 1

Location hidden

#117 Dec 9, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
So do you think people who get sick at the thought homosexuals can just become accepting of homosexuals like its a choice ?
No one says you have to like or accept anyone but when you run or work in a business you are supposed to treat everyone equal and not deny service to someone simply because of who they are. I may not like or agree with everyone I serve in the public but I don't let it be known and I give them the same service I would anyone else. That's what makes me a better person than you. I dislike certain people but you hate and want it to be known to the people that you hate them. That's bigotry! You want to treat gays as second class citizens similar to the way the blacks were once treated and still are treated in some aspect/places in life.

Level 1

Location hidden

#118 Dec 9, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad, but I fear true.
I guess you would think that someone who was white or black and was refused service because of their race should not sue either? Or is discrimination against gays okay and the only acceptable form of discrimination these days?

Level 1

Location hidden

#119 Dec 9, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO,
Its a dominance thing like bend over & I'll stick it in your butt & you'll like it !
You'll bake me a queer cake & you'll like it !
Of course it comes down to a sexual thing for you. People that hate gays as much as you always bring up sex acts. There is more to being gay than sex. You do know that some straight men and women like being anally penetrated and that not all gay men are into that sort of thing? Just thought I'd educate you on that. I'm the gay guy, not you, so I think I know more of what I'm talking about. It is funny that straight guys like yourself think you know so much about gay people when you aren't gay yourself. You just come up with BS out of thin air.

Level 1

Location hidden

#120 Dec 9, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
We live in a free Country. Since when is it okay for the government or for American people to force people to do business with those who they are not willing to do business with? If you are gay, why would you want to do business with someone who doesn’t want to do business with you?
Are you willing to have laws repealed that protected classes such as religion, race, gender, age, and disability? If not then hush and you are a hypocrite. You just want the right to discriminate against gays because you don't agree with them. What if you didn't like Muslims or Jews? I'm assuming you are a Christian. Should you have the right to refuse service to other religions or blacks or Mexicans? If you say yes to that question then at least you wouldn't be a hypocrite so much. And maybe you do feel that you should also be able to discriminate based on religion and race but I never see anyone pushing the issue with that it always when it comes to gays that they want the right to exclude them from society the way the blacks were excluded, and when women had a second class status to men, and Jews were in Nazi, Germany.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#121 Dec 9, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>How are we supposed to do that when you and your ilk insist on throwing your sexuality in our faces every chance you get?
You mean by existing? Wow, someone has a thin skin. So should I complain about people throwing their relgion in my face all the time by wearing crosses on their necks or jesus fish on their cars? Just ignore it and go on.

Level 1

Location hidden

#122 Dec 9, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
We live in a free Country. Since when is it okay for the government or for American people to force people to do business with those who they are not willing to do business with? If you are gay, why would you want to do business with someone who doesn’t want to do business with you?
Since you cannot fire someone for being black or Christian in the same way you can legally fire gay people I guess it is not a free country right? It's not a free country when not every American citizen is able to be free of discrimination. Blacks and women have their rights and gays will have full equality one day. It's coming day by day and has progressed a lot since a decade ago.

Location hidden

#123 Dec 9, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>

Some feel the same way about pedophiles & goat rapers .
Guess they'll be wanting their rights next !

After all they like you can not help themselves because they are who they are !
Do you not understand consent? Don't see the difference in normal sex and rape?

Location hidden

#124 Dec 9, 2013
Moe wrote:
<quoted text>
Hunger is a choice when fasting.
Breathing? Stupid question.
Cancer? Ditto.
AIDS?
Drugs?
Smoking?
Drinking?
Sexual intercourse with anything? Choice!
Having sex with the same sex is like saying incest is a born 'tendency' as well. There is zero scientific proof of anything other than two men cannot conceive a child, EVER!
You still don't get it. Hunger is NOT a choice. If it was a choice, you could cause it to not happen even when fasting.

Sexual desire is not a choice. Acting on it is.

What does conceiving a child have to do with anything? Marriage has nothing to do with kids. If so, we wouldn't allow people to marry that were over child rearing age, were infertile, or just plain didn't want kids.

Level 6

Location hidden

#125 Dec 9, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you would think that someone who was white or black and was refused service because of their race should not sue either? Or is discrimination against gays okay and the only acceptable form of discrimination these days?
Is it up to you to tell another person how to run their business? Discrimination happens ALL THE TIME, and in a free society stupid people do stupid things... If you don’t like that a cake shop won’t do gay wedding cakes then go to a shop that will.

Gays thrive in this Country and Colorado has it right with the proper amendments and civil union laws, but do you want the government to tell you who you can and who you can’t do business with?

Location hidden

#126 Dec 9, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
Since we started standing up for what is right. You would be ok with blacks or other minorities being refused business? What if they had NO businesses that served them? Let them starve?

If you are in a business that serves the public, you have to serve the entire public.

Location hidden

#127 Dec 9, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you consider old because I once thought 30 was ancient .
If you think old people 70's/80's having sex is sick just 'x' times that about 25 times & that's how most if not all really straight people feel about homosexuals having sex & marriage means SEX to 99.99%!
You all demanding marriage rights is a slap in the face to every heterosexual marriage & sorry but we can not help being sickened any more then you can so do not ever expect the majority of us to accept homosexual marriage !
Funny, 50 years ago you would have heard...

"If you think old people 70's/80's having sex is sick just 'x' times that about 25 times & that's how most if not all really WWITE people feel about INTERRACIAL having sex & marriage means SEX to 99.99%!

You all demanding marriage rights is a slap in the face to every WHITE marriage & sorry but we can not help being sickened any more then you can so do not ever expect the majority of us to accept INTERRACIAL marriage !"

Sorry that other people getting their RIGHTS makes you feel like less of a person.

Level 6

Location hidden

#129 Dec 9, 2013
southern alien wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we started standing up for what is right. You would be ok with blacks or other minorities being refused business? What if they had NO businesses that served them? Let them starve?
If you are in a business that serves the public, you have to serve the entire public.
“Since we started standing up for what is right.” Standing up for what’s right doesn’t mean forcing your opinion or belief on another person or their business.

“You would be ok with blacks or other minorities being refused business?” I am not okay with that, and I am not okay with you or government forcing a person to do business with others based on your belief.

“What if they had NO businesses that served them? Let them starve?” The reality is that they do, so you question is MUTE.

“If you are in a business that serves the public, you have to serve the entire public.” In a free society that business has the freedom to serve who they want... If you don’t like that you’re in the wrong Country.

Let me ask you... If you wanted a gay wedding cake, why would you want it from the baker who didn’t believe in your life style?

Level 1

Location hidden

#130 Dec 9, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it up to you to tell another person how to run their business? Discrimination happens ALL THE TIME, and in a free society stupid people do stupid things... If you don’t like that a cake shop won’t do gay wedding cakes then go to a shop that will.
Gays thrive in this Country and Colorado has it right with the proper amendments and civil union laws, but do you want the government to tell you who you can and who you can’t do business with?
It is against the law to refuse service to people in Colorado because they are gay, straight, bisexual, whatever. You are dodging the question. Apparently you don't agree that they should be able to do this to someone based on their race or religion. You want those things protected but NOT sexual orientation because you don't feel gays are as worthy of protections such as someone's CHOICE of religion or the race they were born. I think people should have to obey the law. I would never think of refusing anyone service. I guess I have no concept of excluding people because I have no bigotry in my heart. You people think that since the man doesn't like gays and has religious views that oppose them that he should get a free pass to break the law. Sorry, I just don't see that it is okay to break the law. It is funny how when a judge rules for your side of the issue he's a good judge who "follows the constitution" but when he rules in favor of equality for gays you all label him an "activist judge." What is the point of having a judge if you are going to dictate how he or she rules? You all want to be the judge!

Level 1

Location hidden

#132 Dec 9, 2013
southern alien wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't give a damn about us. They would be perfectly okay if every business in the country refused gays service and they had nowhere to go to the doctor, grocery store, out to eat, the movies, or anything else. That is so un-American and un-Christian on SO MANY LEVELS! Most places have the right to refuse rent/housing and not hire, to fire, not give raises or promotions, etc. to people in employment for no other reason than being gay. It is morally wrong to discriminate and it makes me ashamed of America that this discrimination is still allowed.

Level 1

Location hidden

#133 Dec 9, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Since we started standing up for what is right.” Standing up for what’s right doesn’t mean forcing your opinion or belief on another person or their business.
“You would be ok with blacks or other minorities being refused business?” I am not okay with that, and I am not okay with you or government forcing a person to do business with others based on your belief.
“What if they had NO businesses that served them? Let them starve?” The reality is that they do, so you question is MUTE.
“If you are in a business that serves the public, you have to serve the entire public.” In a free society that business has the freedom to serve who they want... If you don’t like that you’re in the wrong Country.
Let me ask you... If you wanted a gay wedding cake, why would you want it from the baker who didn’t believe in your life style?
Let them starve?! You are a cruel and heartless bigot and certainly don't act like a good Christian and American. You don't seem to have sympathy for anyone that isn't in a majority status. You are not okay with racism but being anti-gay is okay. It's still bigotry and discrimination. What is someone had strong beliefs against the equality of women or blacks? Fortunately the majority of Americans do not feel as you do. Even many of those against same-sex marriage are for hate crimes protections, against Don't Ask, Don't Tell, equality for gays in everything else, including job protections and protections in housing and public accommodations. Thank God things are changing for the better for gays and the majority of Americans are fair minded and not as cold and indifferent as you!

Level 1

Location hidden

#134 Dec 9, 2013
*FOR equality for gays in everything else, including job protections and protections in housing and public accommodations.

“Come and get it! ”

Level 3

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#136 Dec 9, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
LGBTI
How many more letters can you people pull out of your ars to add to your silly acronym?

You never addressed my question. Are you alright with two homosexual guys running a bakery and having to decorate a cake everyday that says "God hates homosexuals", just because a customer comes in and orders one on a daily basis?

“Come and get it! ”

Level 3

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#137 Dec 9, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
How is refusing service to homosexuals any different than refusing service, housing, or employment to someone because they are black or Jewish or Muslim?
You're wrong on two counts. Your choice to sleep with other dudes doesn't give you some magical civil right. And refusing service to someone that intentionally insults your religious beliefs isn't against the law.

You liberal pukes would be singing a different tune if it was a an illegal Mexican alien or a towelhead terrorist who owned a bakery and was offended by a white, Christian, heterosexual male who wanted an American flag cake for Fourth of July.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 9 hr Beatnik 29,655
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 11 hr Television Engineer 740
Nicole DuBois Savage (Feb '17) Sun Jamie Dundee 19
last post wins! (Feb '11) Aug 18 Princess Hey 26,389
Taylor Swift touched or not touched Aug 18 Assquatch 3
Respect71 is a hypocritical LOSER (Dec '15) Aug 17 Avid reader 16
Play the "end of the word" game (Jul '11) Aug 16 texas pete 4,272

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages