Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

Jun 6, 2013 Full story: Denver Post 5,676

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Full Story
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1076 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep on hating I bet you have so many flocking to your bigoted side.
We have the law and the courts on our side. I'm sorry you are unhappy with the way the USA is set up. Perhaps a theocracy would be more to your liking... say Iran, for instance.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1077 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You’re a sad person, in that all you posts are full of misguided, ignorant assumptions.
If civil unions allow all the SAME benefit as those who are married, then explain your contention that it is LESS than marriage?
The federal government does NOT recognize civil unions. GEEZ! Is that too difficult for you to comprehend? If you think civil unions are so great YOU get one. Of course you don't realize that many States that ban same sex marriage, also ban civil unions, too, do you? So excuse me if I reject your offer of second class status.
The Troll Stopper

Blacksburg, VA

#1078 Jan 23, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> You are such a drama queen.
I'll bet that response of yours must surely have taxed your intellectual capacity to its very limit.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1079 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like comparing not selling a wedding cake you a gay couple is the SAME as Charles Manson exterminating life?
It’s not separate but equal, it different with the same benefits. Attempting to change the definition of marriage to fit the gay relationship doesn’t make it equal.
You almost fooled me into thinking you thought logically.
Let’s give you the benefit of the doubt. What was the consequence to the gay couple “when he tried to project his Christianity onto” them?
How would YOU feel if a baker told you "we don't sell cakes to breeders?"

He broke the law.

Do you understand? You don't get to ignore the law and hide behind 'freedom of religion." It doesn't work that way. If you have a problem with the law, work to CHANGE it. Of course you already know there is no chance of that happening, so instead, you come to a gay forum and whine.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1080 Jan 23, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> Stop acting like a sissy, I am not singling out gay people or anybody else. Grow up.
Typical... use a gay slur and then say you're not singling out gays. Riiiiiight.....
Warm Heart

White Plains, KY

#1081 Jan 23, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical... use a gay slur and then say you're not singling out gays. Riiiiiight.....
No Xavier, It's a figure of speech. And the last time I checked gay meant happy.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1082 Jan 23, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> No Xavier, It's a figure of speech. And the last time I checked gay meant happy.
Sissy means happy, too, does it?

How long have you had an issue with women?
Warm Heart

White Plains, KY

#1083 Jan 23, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Sissy means happy, too, does it?
How long have you had an issue with women?
No, I don't think so and I don't have any issues with either men or women.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#1084 Jan 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know why your post was removed, or indeed if it was,(sometimes the traffic slows their appearing, among other possibilities.) Certainly it wasn't removed for being ignorant or bigoted, as your other posts remain.
Fundie and bigot nutcases should start getting used to being pariahs any moment now - educated society just isn't going to pay your lot a great deal of notice going forward.
They were but no big deal. TOPIX doesn't change the world, it's merely a place to post opinion.

Your labeling of everyone who doesn't see eye to eye with you in terms of gays thinking tghey can do anything from walking around with assless chaps to clogging streets with sexually infused parades as all being "fundies" and "bigots" is laughable. And no...we're not the ones to fear of being seen as a pariah friend.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#1085 Jan 23, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>The case will continue?
I was wondering why he had a donations thing on his website. Guess he doesn't think he should have to actually PAY HIS OWN WAY in defending HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS.
LMAO
(doesn't sound to me like he has much faith in his god)
He shouldn't have had to pay anything to hold onto his beliefs you dolt. Those beliefs constitute his basic freedoms as an American citizen.

I find it very odd you gays scream of freedoms yet want to squash others of theirs.

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#1089 Jan 23, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
He shouldn't have had to pay anything to hold onto his beliefs you dolt. Those beliefs constitute his basic freedoms as an American citizen.
I find it very odd you gays scream of freedoms yet want to squash others of theirs.
He didn't want to sell a cake and no one forced him to.

Please explain how that prevented him from exercising his religious beliefs. If your religion teaches that you can disobey civil laws you are free to disobey those laws but not the consequences of practising your beliefs.

As I said if marriage is such an issue for this person and his religious beliefs are compromised if he is forced to sell wedding cakes to all people then the answer is to stop selling wedding cakes. Otherwise he is practising religious discrimination which is a crime in every State.

The solution is simple. If you don't want to be guilty of religious discrimination then don't practice religious discrimination.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#1090 Jan 23, 2014
SAD...It's a CAKE!!

This Bakery.. is a BUSINESSES!!

You order the cake, it's Baked, it's Sold.. and EVERYONE is HAPPY..

NOT in this scenario.. Am Sure the Baking Businesses had their RELIGIOUS Beliefs Backing their Choice Decision.. THEY sure as HECK wasn't thinking about their REPUTATION... Or Were They??

Sad All around.. BUT, the Baker who said YES!!!

Will be BUSIER than EVER..Because he Put a SMILE on this HAPPY COUPLES HEART!!

;)

;)

DNF

Level 2

#1091 Jan 23, 2014
Poor Dan.

Every time he gets schooled by someone here on Topix he starts whining about his posts being removed.

Yet they are still here.

DNF

Level 2

#1093 Jan 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps he has confused "posts" and "brain cells."
English is a difficult language....
You just reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask Kimare.

Was it him or his inner lesbian that got his wife pregnant?

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1094 Jan 24, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
You mean like comparing not selling a wedding cake you a gay couple is the SAME as Charles Manson exterminating life?
I didn't start that idiotic assertion, moron, you did.
You said:
"He faces jail and fines, so absolutely his right are violated."
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/T9SQIS144...

So, you made an idiotic assertion. This isn't surprising, because you are an idiot.
Respect71 wrote:
It’s not separate but equal, it different with the same benefits.
Which is to say, separate but equal. Congratulations, even playing semantics, you paint yourself to be an idiot.
Respect71 wrote:
Attempting to change the definition of marriage to fit the gay relationship doesn’t make it equal.
Yeah, here's the deal, moron, the issue is equality under the law, which can absolutely be equal, and already is in 17 states. It soon will be true of 50, and when that happens there will be no impact upon your bigoted life, which is part of the reason it will happen.
Respect71 wrote:
You almost fooled me into thinking you thought logically.
You've never done so with me.
Respect71 wrote:
Let’s give you the benefit of the doubt. What was the consequence to the gay couple “when he tried to project his Christianity onto” them?
They were denied service.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1095 Jan 24, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait..... you think this guy is free to ignore the law?

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1096 Jan 24, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
He's not paying to hold on to those beliefs, you dolt.

He's paying because he denied service on the basis of sexual orientation.

He is free to believe that homosexuality is wrong, amoral, etc. He is free not to enter into such a union. He is free to think that others who do so are amoral, icky, or wrong. He is not free to deny them service on that basis, and extending service to them in no way denies him free exercise, free expression, or any other freedom.

DNF

Level 2

#1097 Jan 24, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
He faces jail and fines, so absolutely his right are violated. Which rights were violated by the gay couple? Were they made to be different than who they are by NOT selling them a cake?
The case will continue.
Wow. So any time a law is enforced by fines or jail time it's a violation of a person's Constitutional Rights?

You've posted some crazy stuff Dan but that takes the cake (pun intended)

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1098 Jan 25, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey drunk, you really can't figure out the issues involved.
Xstains aren't more special than other believers or non believers are.
You know perfectly well a Pagan business owner could not toss heterosexuals out of his business based on some real or imagined religious belief.
And, drunk as you are, you know the difference between speech and a discriminatory action.
And we all know this bigot baker somehow never mentioned denying a wedding cake to any other "sinner," of which everyone is one.
Okay, freak?
No one is more special than anyone else... Even gays.
The 1st Amendment applies to ALL Americans.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1099 Jan 25, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey rube, you "forgot" to acknowledge all those other equal rights for glbt people you have opposed, and thus "forgot" to acknowledge you have been lying again.
Civil unions do not automatically remain in force when moving to another state or country, or even when traveling to another country. They confer no federal benefits or responsibilities of marriage.
This is _basic_. They are less than. How could such a moron who spends so much time agonizing about this topic be so completely ignorant of the most basic facts involved in the debate?
You anti rational christers are sickening in your bigotry, you hypocrisy, your lying, your evasions, your ignorance. Disgusting.
If you think it’s “less” than that’s on you. All Americans have rights and not ALL americans have to agree with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Housewife convicted of frying husband (Mar '07) 1 hr Maverick 808 65
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 8 hr tbird19482 14,297
last post wins! (Feb '11) Sat --MeaBadSock-- 24,865
Gay/Bi teens in/near Denver, Colorado Sat bootyhunter18 21
Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Sat Hacker 618
SEAL U.S.BORDERS-Cults! Fri SEAL OUR BORDERS-... 1
Salvation Army signing up families in need for ... (Nov '09) Dec 19 krystal 117
Denver Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Denver News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Denver

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:17 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:17PM
Steelers End Playoff Drought by Taking Care of Business
Bleacher Report 3:39 PM
Highlights, Recap for Chiefs vs. Steelers
Bleacher Report 6:00 PM
Colts Have Puncher's Chance in Playoffs Despite Flaws
Bleacher Report 7:49 PM
How Far Can Steelers' Big Three Carry Them?
NBC Sports12:17 AM
Broncos visit Bengals as favorites in key playoff tilt - NBC Sports