Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 20 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1051 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do gays at gay pride events have the right to ignore the law?
What law? You have a supreme talent for not providing details.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1052 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Comparing the non-sale of a wedding cake to not serving black people isn’t the same. You seem to have a problem with what is in fact equal.
Read the statute, you flaming dumbass.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1053 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
He faces jail and fines, so absolutely his right are violated..
WHAT RIGHT? Why can't you answer that?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1054 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you’re gay and can be gay in your heart, your house and not in public accommodations. You can’t have rights and deny others the same.
Wow! You are FULL of bogus shit! Where do you get this stuff? Who said 'Not in public accommodations?' There's no law that says one cannot be gay in public accommodations.

What right was the baker denied?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1055 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct... But “marriage equality”, as many put it, does not mean how you explained. Colorado has a Constitutional Amendment that defines Marriage as between one-man and one-woman, and and now the State passed a law allowing civil unions. Equal under the law, right. Apparently not to those who claim “marriage equality” as to re-define marriage to include homosexuals... That’s where the dishonesty plays out poorly.
The federal government doesn't recognize civil unions, so exactly how is that equal to marriage?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1056 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"
Look, shit-for-brains.... I don't know what you THINK that means, but it most definitely does NOT mean one can use religion as an excuse to break the law. No one is stopping the baker from exercising his religion. Was he forbidden to go to church? Was he forbidden to pray?
Warm Heart

White Plains, KY

#1057 Jan 23, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrespective of reasoning...... did you catch that part?
Whatever.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1058 Jan 23, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> Whatever.
I realize 'reasoning' means nothing to you. Why not hold a Stupid Pride parade?
Warm Heart

White Plains, KY

#1059 Jan 23, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize 'reasoning' means nothing to you. Why not hold a Stupid Pride parade?
What does pride have to do with? Like I said before, we all are discriminated against but all of us don't choose to make a spectacle out of it.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1060 Jan 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
You're another prevaricatin' jeesus fundie.
You oppose marriage equality, you oppose glbt people having the same protections in places of public accommodations that we also have on the basis of race, gender, disability, etc., and there's no way you supported the repeal of DADT or did support ENDA.
It's just fundies are so brainwashed in their hate and denial that they don't consider lesser rights for glbt people across the board to be bigotry.
Such backwards trash are in the process of getting their wake up call from the wider, educated society.

Do you ever read anything I post?

I support right for ALL Americans. Civil unions are appropriate and you then scream “marriage equality” when you already have it. So get to the point... What is it your truly want?

Level 6

Location hidden

#1061 Jan 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Drunk again. No one says people can't be openly gay, as you have here.
That's a new level of christer crazee.
You don't get to discriminate in places of public accommodations. Neither do muslims get to discriminate against fundie trash in places of public accommodation. It's quite simple to understand for any sentient, sober, minimally educated person.
I said that to make a point... If you can’t allow a Christian to be Christian in public accommodation, then how can you allow gay?

You can’t have you’re right if your willing to remove the rights of others.

Level 6

Location hidden

#1062 Jan 23, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Applying this logic, Charles Manson's rights have been violated. Statements like this only display your poor logic skills.
The real reason that he has left himself exposed to jail and fines is because he, like Manson, broke the law.
<quoted text>
The reality is that the gay couple have a right not to be discriminated against on the basis of sexuality in Colorado. It's the law.
<quoted text>
No, they were discriminated against, which is against the law.
<quoted text>
The only real winner will be the defense attorney, who will laugh all the way to the bank even after he inevitably loses.
<quoted text>
Would you care to try again in English?
<quoted text>
Can you indicate a compelling governmental interest served by restricting marriage to being between a man and a woman that would render the colorado ban Constitutional?
<quoted text>
How so? Are you claiming that homosexuals are not people, or that marriage is not a protection of the law?
<quoted text>
Free exercise has not been infringed. The baker is still free to feel homosexuality is wrong. He is still free not to enter into a relationship or marriage with someone of the same sex. He is still free to worship at the church of his choosing. He is even still free to be a hypocrite, professing to be Christian while judging others and treating them in ways he would not want to be treated.
However, in Colorado, he doesn't have the right to deny service on the basis of sexual orientation.
We have freedom of religion, not the freedom to force others to conform to our religious moral expectations. Actually, what the baker did is the infringement of religious freedom of others. That is precisely the kind of thing the pilgrims left England to avoid.
This idiot will lose, because he has no leg to stand upon legally. The only question is how much money he is willing to commit to being wrong. The only winner here is the defense lawyer.
“Would you care to try again in English?” Colorado has a Constitutional Amendment that defines Marriage as between one-man and one-woman, and now the State passed a law allowing civil unions.

“Can you indicate a compelling governmental interest served by restricting marriage to being between a man and a woman that would render the colorado ban Constitutional?” There is no such thing as a “bad” in the State of Colorado... In Colorado marriage is defined by our Constitution as between one-man and one-woman. Gays have Civil Unions by law.

“How so? Are you claiming that homosexuals are not people, or that marriage is not a protection of the law?” I am claiming the ALL Americans have rights and the Baker’s right was harshly removed and sets a bad precedent for the rest of us.

“Free exercise has not been infringed.” If he believes that a wedding cake is only for a husband and wife, then absolutely it has, with fines and jail.

“We have freedom of religion, not the freedom to force others to conform to our religious moral expectations. Actually, what the baker did is the infringement of religious freedom of others.” Really did they get jail time and fines?

This case will continue.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1064 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
Do you ever read anything I post?
There's little point. All you do is call attention to your own shortcomings in logical process.
Respect71 wrote:
I support right for ALL Americans. Civil unions are appropriate and you then scream “marriage equality” when you already have it. So get to the point... What is it your truly want?
Separate but equal has been dismissed for over 50 years. Civil unions are not equality under the law.
Respect71 wrote:
I said that to make a point... If you can’t allow a Christian to be Christian in public accommodation, then how can you allow gay?
You can’t have you’re right if your willing to remove the rights of others.
He wasn't prevented from being "Christian in Public" he got in trouble when he tried to project his Christianity onto others.

Level 6

Location hidden

#1067 Jan 23, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
There's little point. All you do is call attention to your own shortcomings in logical process.
<quoted text>
Separate but equal has been dismissed for over 50 years. Civil unions are not equality under the law.
<quoted text>
He wasn't prevented from being "Christian in Public" he got in trouble when he tried to project his Christianity onto others.
You mean like comparing not selling a wedding cake you a gay couple is the SAME as Charles Manson exterminating life?

It’s not separate but equal, it different with the same benefits. Attempting to change the definition of marriage to fit the gay relationship doesn’t make it equal.

You almost fooled me into thinking you thought logically.

Let’s give you the benefit of the doubt. What was the consequence to the gay couple “when he tried to project his Christianity onto” them?

Level 6

Location hidden

#1068 Jan 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
No, mongoloid, "being a muslim" doesn't mean "you can toss xstains out of your business."
"Being a fundie" doesn't mean "you can toss [any protected group] out of your business."
You don't get to discriminate just because you hypocritically pretend to apply certain buybull precepts. This is not a society of buybull laws.
You're free to hypocritically and selectively and ignorantly believe what you like, though. Until you start taking illegal actions. You rube.
Keep on hating I bet you have so many flocking to your bigoted side.

Level 6

Location hidden

#1069 Jan 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey drunk, you left out some things there. We don't care if bigots say they aren't bigots.
You fundie freeeks oppose equal adoption rights, open military service, ENDA, hate crimes protections for glbt people. And civil unions are less than marriage.
You are the definition of a lying bigot.
You’re a sad person, in that all you posts are full of misguided, ignorant assumptions.

If civil unions allow all the SAME benefit as those who are married, then explain your contention that it is LESS than marriage?
Warm Heart

White Plains, KY

#1071 Jan 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Then according to you (you're lying) all those uber christians should drop their ample litigation, including this bigot baker, who is appealing.
But that's not what you think. You're just singling out gay people for your complaints and then lying about it.
And that is bearing false witness, Jethro.
Stop acting like a sissy, I am not singling out gay people or anybody else. Grow up.
Warm Heart

White Plains, KY

#1073 Jan 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey rube, you "forgot" to acknowledge all those other equal rights for glbt people you have opposed, and thus "forgot" to acknowledge you have been lying again.
Civil unions do not automatically remain in force when moving to another state or country, or even when traveling to another country. They confer no federal benefits or responsibilities of marriage.
This is _basic_. They are less than. How could such a moron who spends so much time agonizing about this topic be so completely ignorant of the most basic facts involved in the debate?
You anti rational christers are sickening in your bigotry, you hypocrisy, your lying, your evasions, your ignorance. Disgusting.
You are such a drama queen.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#1074 Jan 23, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> What does pride have to do with? Like I said before, we all are discriminated against but all of us don't choose to make a spectacle out of it.
Due process isn't hardly making a spectacle.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1075 Jan 23, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
He faces jail and fines, so absolutely his right are violated. Which rights were violated by the gay couple? Were they made to be different than who they are by NOT selling them a cake?
The case will continue.
The case will continue?

I was wondering why he had a donations thing on his website. Guess he doesn't think he should have to actually PAY HIS OWN WAY in defending HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS.

LMAO

(doesn't sound to me like he has much faith in his god)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 5 hr Belle Sexton 3,475
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 7 hr tbird19482 17,575
Murderous White Cops May 3 sally 2
U.S. Goverment and Police using Rape and Torture May 3 sally 2
Local Denver Street Gang Gets Exposure! (Mar '10) May 3 usanotperft 272
jews May 3 LactatingGoatFetish 2
106.7 kbpi is the worst morning show ever! May 3 Sissypanties 543
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE