Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

Jun 6, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Denver Post

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Comments (Page 35)

Showing posts 681 - 700 of1,417
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

DNF

“A seat at the family table”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>All of it, it's why I gave up. It's all just so perpetually confusing to them, but they are absolutely sure they are right.
Yup.

So sad.

Thing is religion was one of the first things to be barred from using AS discrimination. This country was colonised by people fleeing religious persecution, yet the persecuted have become the persecutors.

“ reality, what a concept”

Level 2

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
Yup.
So sad.
I tried for a few days, but that is one one mind oblivious to the obvious.
DNF wrote:
Thing is religion was one of the first things to be barred from using AS discrimination. This country was colonised by people fleeing religious persecution, yet the persecuted have become the persecutors.
Our founding fathers wanted a federal government neutral on the subject of religion, because they new darn well what was going on in the colonies/states. If it weren't for religious discrimination and persecution on this continent, there'd only be 9 original states. There were religious litmus tests of all sorts on the local and state level. The notion that we were actually a nation which accepted all faiths is pretty much a myth, there is a whole American history of some seriously ugly discrimination that went on. It wasn't until the Courts started making the Bill of Rights an obligation of the states did we start breaking this cycle.
d pantz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>I tried for a few days, but that is one one mind oblivious to the obvious.
<quoted text>Our founding fathers wanted a federal government neutral on the subject of religion, because they new darn well what was going on in the colonies/states. If it weren't for religious discrimination and persecution on this continent, there'd only be 9 original states. There were religious litmus tests of all sorts on the local and state level. The notion that we were actually a nation which accepted all faiths is pretty much a myth, there is a whole American history of some seriously ugly discrimination that went on. It wasn't until the Courts started making the Bill of Rights an obligation of the states did we start breaking this cycle.
too bad most discrimination is ignored unless its a non issue like marriage equality. If the government were truly "neutral on the subject of religion" as you word it, they wouldn't recognize any marriage.
lets hope they did

Morrisville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am an American and I will stand up for the Constitution especially if the judge makes the wrong decision.
Based on your arguments you seem to believe this is religion vs gay, when it's Americans vs government.
I support gay pride events (even though they break numerous laws to "express" themselves) no matter how vulgar and repulsive I find it... I also support the baker no matter how vulgar and repulsive I find him.
It's not for the government to force upon us anyone belief.
Yeah,they could have put rat poison in the cake,or spit in the cake when they were sick with the Flu,or took a pee in the cake but they didn't or did they??? If I were those two I would have gone to a queer baker shop....but thank God I'm Normal....

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>The gay couple's rights were violated.
Which ones? The right to buy a wedding cake?

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
Another self-professed good Christian baker, has found out that there is no right to discriminate in the name of God. The owner of Sweet Cakes by Melissa got the smack-down yesterday up in Oregon. When are these God blessed bigots going to recognize that the Constitution isn't about to give its blessing to what they do unto other?.
Another slit in the fiber of the American constitution in the name of political correctness. More government forcing Christians to deny their own beliefs!

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>The baker exercised his rights. The couple were denied their right to equal accommodations and equal protection under State Law. They were denied equal protection under Federal law. The baker was not.

When you exercise your right to bear arms and kill someone you are still subject to the penalties the local authorities have available to them.

What part confuses you?
Again comparing killing someone to not selling a cake???

Not one right was removed from the gay couple.

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>So a small lie is OK. A minor crime is OK.

Stop trying to get in a pissing contest over who suffered more discrimination. The fact remains that under the law both cases are illegal.

Your side lost.

Deal with it.

Trying to wiggle out of that shows a lack of maturity and personal responsibility..
My side is ALL Americans.
Do you support gay pride events? I hope the answer is yes because I do as well. Do you support the broken laws during those events? Do you consider them minor crimes or do you let it lie in favor of freedom?

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>That's like telling someone who had a child killed by a drunk driver that they are being overly sensitive about it because the child wasn't raped and tortured to death.
No... It's like telling someone who didn't get to buy a wedding cake, "dude, not selling you a wedding cake is EXACTLY like stoning you to death because you're gay!"

Intellectually dishonest.

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Yup.

So sad.

Really? More intellectual dishonesty.
Xstain Fumblementalist

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> too bad most discrimination is ignored unless its a non issue like marriage equality. If the government were truly "neutral on the subject of religion" as you word it, they wouldn't recognize any marriage.
Right, no Social Security benefits for surviving spouses or children, no regulation of LDS child bride weddings, no legal rights as a couple at a local hospital or when traveling abroad, no inherent custody rights over any children.

Sure, the government has nothing to do legal contracts between people, particularly ones which confer over 1000 government rights and responsibilities.

Where do these sht for brains cretins come from?
Xstain Fumblementalist

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another slit in the fiber of the American constitution in the name of political correctness. More government forcing Christians to deny their own beliefs!
It's not a theocracy, you freeek. People don't get to re write civil laws so they can discriminate in places of public accommodation just because they claim some "religious" belief or other. And that doesn't mere go for talibangelicals or Christians. That goes for members of every religion.

And these fundie mongoloids don't follow their own beliefs, anyway. They pick and choose, according to their psychologically based whims. These fundies are severely deluded and deranged.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> too bad most discrimination is ignored unless its a non issue like marriage equality. If the government were truly "neutral on the subject of religion" as you word it, they wouldn't recognize any marriage.
Are you stupid or what? Why would the government not be involved in a legal marriage?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which ones? The right to buy a wedding cake?
They were refused a public accommodation on the basis of their sexual orientation. That is a violation of State law. I don't know how to make it any clearer.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
The government didn't force the stupid 'christians' to go into business, did they? If someone wishes to go into business, they play by the rules. The government didn't force anyone to deny their beliefs. They forced them to FOLLOW THE LAW.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again comparing killing someone to not selling a cake???
Not one right was removed from the gay couple.
Evidently you should get a refund from that law school you attended.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the government not be involved in a legal marriage?
Because it's a 'fundamental right.'
BWAHAHAHAHA!
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
My side is ALL Americans.
Do you support gay pride events? I hope the answer is yes because I do as well. Do you support the broken laws during those events? Do you consider them minor crimes or do you let it lie in favor of freedom?
Comparing imaginary "broken laws" at pride events with OVERT discrimination in matters of public accommodation???
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
No... It's like telling someone who didn't get to buy a wedding cake, "dude, not selling you a wedding cake is EXACTLY like stoning you to death because you're gay!"
Intellectually dishonest.
Sort of like you trying to make a valid point?

DNF

“A seat at the family table”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

d pantz wrote:
You are confusing the religious aspect of marriage with the civil reality. Religion has never been the basis for marriage. Civil law has always been the basis of ALL marriages.
Try to keep up with reality and the rest of the class OK?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 681 - 700 of1,417
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Denver Forum right now

Search the Denver Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Play the "end of the word" game (Jul '11) 1 hr 2twisted 4,205
Needing BBC 5 hr I need BBC 1
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 8 hr You can call me Dick 11,318
Does anyone know about the Iowa tribal properties? 11 hr Hector Ismael Guzman 1
7 best things to do in Denver this weekend Fri Trigger 1
BangItAmmo.com Fri Concerned Citizen 1
So what's the story with Richard Kirk the pot p... Apr 16 Commander Bunny 2
•••
•••