Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 42777 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

Warm Heart

Central City, KY

#695 Jan 15, 2014
I did not say what to go suck, that's your dirty mind.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#696 Jan 15, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Then why do you oppose my right to marry?” 1st there is no such right.
Yes there is ask SCOTUS. Ask Scalia!
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text> Second, I don’t oppose for you to be with whoever your partner is. Lastly, the definition of marriage is and has been for a great deal of years one man and one woman relationships. because the gay relationship is different it deserves its own definition. That is why Colorado has it right in this respect. The idea of “marriage equality” is false.
You refuse to accept the reality that SSM IS a right and that anything that creates a separate class for gays and lesbians is Unconstitutional. Ask SCOTUS and SCALIA!
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>“Why do you oppose my church from practicing it's religious freedom in Indiana?” I don’t. Gays have beed getting united for decades and I know the Unity church did ceremonies for them.
You are ignorant of reality. In Indiana if Unity or any other denomination that blesses SSM presides over even a Holy Union ceremony, the minister faces a $1000 fine and 180 days in jail. What have you done to get that changed?
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>“Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>“And to use RELIGION as a basis to justify religious discrimination is a great example of how desperate you are to impose your lifestyle choices onto everyone else.” So what you your say to the Americans who feel gays are imposing their life style choice into the institution of marriage? You speak of the “WILL OF THE PEOPLE”, so how would you explain gay marriage to those who voted on PROP 8 in Calinfornia?
That's easy.
“West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.
and:
ARTICLE 4 [Legal Status of the Constitution]
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.” So does that mean make laws that will make the believe the same as you?
“I'd rather people obey the law and not be bigots but as you said that's the way it is.
My point is that the anti-gays cry States Rights when it suits them and Federalism when that suits them. The are hypocritical just as this man is.” Why do you think people need God and the Bible? The consequence of a free society is people can be mean and stupid and still have rights.
“The issue is "Did he violate State Law and the Will of the people?"
What is your answer?” He did break the law but he still has rights, just like persons at the gay pride parades.
And what rights were he denied? NO
Was he forced to bake the cake? NO
Is anyone forcing him to stop being a religious bigot? NO

So exactly what right was he denied?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#697 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
I did not say what to go suck, that's your dirty mind.
I just hope a house doesn't fall on you like it did your sister.
Warm Heart

Central City, KY

#698 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I have no idea since I'm not God and neither are you.
I was simply pointing out to you as a fellow Christian that you aren't showing the Christian Love I was raised to believe in.
I wish you could have been at my partner's funeral and heard my nieces and nephews express their love for their "Uncle Paul". I wish you had seen my father sing the Lord's Prayer as the anthem and know how honored he felt that I asked him to sing one of Paul's favorite songs.
Here's something else for you to digest:
12-Year-Old Boy Speaks Up for Gay Moms and Marriage Equality
Here's a kid any parent would be proud of.
Protesters took to the state capitol in Salt Lake City to rally against Utah Governor Gary Herbert's decision not to recognize same-sex marriage in the state. One of the most moving people to give a speech to the hundreds-strong crowd was 12-year-old Riley Hackford-Peer, who spoke about his experiences having two moms.
"I'm here today to talk about love, family and equal rights," said Riley. "Some people do not believe that I'm from a loving family because my moms are gay. They are wrong. I love my moms, and my moms love me and my brother, unconditionally."
He says that seeing his mothers get married in December was the second happiest day of his life - the first being when his little brother was born. "It felt like fireworks bursting in my heart," he says.
"The funny thing is, nothing really changed," he continues. "We're still a family, and we all love each other. The only difference is now they have equal rights."
"Governor Herbert wants to treat my moms unfairly," he says. "He says he wants to 'protect families.' But I want to tell him that my family deserves protection, too. I have two moms -- and I love them. And they deserve to have their marriage recognized everywhere."
Hours after this rally took place, the federal government announced that it would recognize same-sex marriages performed in Utah, overriding Herbert's decision. Unfortunately, last week, the U.S. Supreme Court put a halt to same-sex marriages in Utah until a federal appeals court has ruled on the state ban, however, with the huge strides that gay marriage has made in the U.S. in the last year, Utah's days of inequality are surely numbered.
http://shine.yahoo.com/author-blog-posts/12-o...
Like I said before, I have homosexual friends and a family member that is homosexual and I love them just the same and I don't have anything against you as a person. I was taught to love everyone and I do, but my beliefs are mine and yours are yours so maybe we can at least agree to disagree. Sorry about your loss. I'm really not as cold as you might think.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#699 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Yes there is ask SCOTUS. Ask Scalia!
<quoted text>You refuse to accept the reality that SSM IS a right and that anything that creates a separate class for gays and lesbians is Unconstitutional. Ask SCOTUS and SCALIA!
<quoted text>You are ignorant of reality. In Indiana if Unity or any other denomination that blesses SSM presides over even a Holy Union ceremony, the minister faces a $1000 fine and 180 days in jail. What have you done to get that changed?
<quoted text>And what rights were he denied? NO
Was he forced to bake the cake? NO
Is anyone forcing him to stop being a religious bigot? NO
So exactly what right was he denied?
“Yes there is ask SCOTUS. Ask Scalia!” I will ask.

“You refuse to accept the reality that SSM IS a right and that anything that creates a separate class for gays and lesbians is Unconstitutional. Ask SCOTUS and SCALIA!” No matter who I ask the gay relationship is different from that of a man-woman relationship... No law or government issued citation can change that fact. What has been done in Colorado is appropriate.

“You are ignorant of reality. In Indiana if Unity or any other denomination that blesses SSM presides over even a Holy Union ceremony, the minister faces a $1000 fine and 180 days in jail. What have you done to get that changed?” You are obviously correct of my ignorance to Indiana, because I am a Coloradan... While I was very young I attended many gay unity ceremonies performed by the Unity church... The things you cited is a good reason to leave your state.

You didn’t want to answer,“So does that mean make laws that will make the believe the same as you?” or “Why do you think people need God and the Bible?”

“And what rights were he denied? NO” The one to not provide a wedding cake for a relationship that he believes fall outside the definition of marriage.
“Was he forced to bake the cake? NO” He faces fines and Jail.
“Is anyone forcing him to stop being a religious bigot? NO” The government is making the attempt with lgbt activists and people like yourself.

He did break the law but he still has rights, just like persons at the gay pride parades.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#700 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> Like I said before, I have homosexual friends and a family member that is homosexual and I love them just the same and I don't have anything against you as a person. I was taught to love everyone and I do, but my beliefs are mine and yours are yours so maybe we can at least agree to disagree. Sorry about your loss. I'm really not as cold as you might think.
Then I thank you. Hopefully you can get rid of the disgust you feel toward your own family members and friends who are gay or lesbian when they show affection toward each other. In most cultures same sex kissing is no big deal.

As for what to tell your 6 year old, the truth is usually best; that they love each other just like his own Mom and Dad and just like you and your spouse. Then you can explain that some people don't like that about them, but that you aren't one of those people.

I'm fairly certain that he will follow your example of compassion and empathy as long as you are sincere.
The Troll Stopper

Blacksburg, VA

#701 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> GO SUCK ONE!
Awwww, looks like Christsharian Deelite sure struck a nerve with you! I'll bet that response of yours must surely have taxed your intellectual capacity to its very limit!

LOLAY bigot boy!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#702 Jan 15, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Yes there is ask SCOTUS. Ask Scalia!” I will ask.
“You refuse to accept the reality that SSM IS a right and that anything that creates a separate class for gays and lesbians is Unconstitutional. Ask SCOTUS and SCALIA!” No matter who I ask the gay relationship is different from that of a man-woman relationship... No law or government issued citation can change that fact. What has been done in Colorado is appropriate.
“You are ignorant of reality. In Indiana if Unity or any other denomination that blesses SSM presides over even a Holy Union ceremony, the minister faces a $1000 fine and 180 days in jail. What have you done to get that changed?” You are obviously correct of my ignorance to Indiana, because I am a Coloradan... While I was very young I attended many gay unity ceremonies performed by the Unity church... The things you cited is a good reason to leave your state.
You didn’t want to answer,“So does that mean make laws that will make the believe the same as you?” or “Why do you think people need God and the Bible?”
“And what rights were he denied? NO” The one to not provide a wedding cake for a relationship that he believes fall outside the definition of marriage.
“Was he forced to bake the cake? NO” He faces fines and Jail.
“Is anyone forcing him to stop being a religious bigot? NO” The government is making the attempt with lgbt activists and people like yourself.
He did break the law but he still has rights, just like persons at the gay pride parades.
Yes he does have rights and he freely exercised them so what is the problem here? That he got caught?

You are supporting people who ignore the law. Is that a lesson you want your children to end up living by?
The Troll Stopper

Blacksburg, VA

#703 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> Like I said before, I have homosexual friends and a family member that is homosexual
...and yet you gladly support laws that prevent them from entering into a legally-recognized marriage with the people they love. With a "friend" like you, they don't need enemies.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#704 Jan 15, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Yes there is ask SCOTUS. Ask Scalia!” I will ask.
“You refuse to accept the reality that SSM IS a right and that anything that creates a separate class for gays and lesbians is Unconstitutional. Ask SCOTUS and SCALIA!” No matter who I ask the gay relationship is different from that of a man-woman relationship... No law or government issued citation can change that fact. What has been done in Colorado is appropriate.
“You are ignorant of reality. In Indiana if Unity or any other denomination that blesses SSM presides over even a Holy Union ceremony, the minister faces a $1000 fine and 180 days in jail. What have you done to get that changed?” You are obviously correct of my ignorance to Indiana, because I am a Coloradan... While I was very young I attended many gay unity ceremonies performed by the Unity church... The things you cited is a good reason to leave your state.
You didn’t want to answer,“So does that mean make laws that will make the believe the same as you?” or “Why do you think people need God and the Bible?”
“And what rights were he denied? NO” The one to not provide a wedding cake for a relationship that he believes fall outside the definition of marriage.
“Was he forced to bake the cake? NO” He faces fines and Jail.
“Is anyone forcing him to stop being a religious bigot? NO” The government is making the attempt with lgbt activists and people like yourself.
He did break the law but he still has rights, just like persons at the gay pride parades.
You say he was denied the right to refuse to bake the cake.

Please tell us the date in which the government forced him to bake that cake.

I can't see how his "rights" were denied. He exercised his right to behave in a criminal manner. End of story.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#708 Jan 15, 2014
Christsharian Deelite wrote:
That mongolid "Respect71" still can't quote correctly and clearly.
They grow 'em stoopid in fundie land.
When the baker denies a wedding cake to a couple "living in sin" then we'll know the baker doesn't just have personal homosexual fixation.
When places of public accommodations are houses of worship and treated as such by our laws then we'll know we have a theocracy. We don't yet.
Xstains would be the very first to cry bloody murder if some muslim or pagan owned business refused to bake goods on the basis of "religious beliefs" for witless, bigoted, fundie trash customers.
Anyone can see this. Even the "religious" throwbacks on the US Supreme Court.
Here is the hypocrisy that the anti gays can't even see for themselves. They even use this to justify his being a criminal.

They claim he has served gays before. If he REALLY felt that by serving a SSC he was going against God's will then why is he happy to sell other goods to gays and lesbians and how is that not going against his beliefs?

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#709 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Yes he does have rights and he freely exercised them so what is the problem here? That he got caught?

You are supporting people who ignore the law. Is that a lesson you want your children to end up living by?
He faces fines and jail for exercising his freedom. That's a problem.

Do you do gay pride events? Why do you choose to hang with those that break decency and disorderly conduct laws?

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#710 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>You say he was denied the right to refuse to bake the cake.

Please tell us the date in which the government forced him to bake that cake.

I can't see how his "rights" were denied. He exercised his right to behave in a criminal manner. End of story.
Lol... If he continues to deny wedding cakes to gays he'll face the same, so tell us how he is able to exercise his freedom while the government will prosecute him.

The fact that you can't see his rights were denied shows your bent.

Shall we start to shut down gay pride because of their criminal and lewd behavior?

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#711 Jan 15, 2014
Christsharian Deelite wrote:
That mongolid "Respect71" still can't quote correctly and clearly.

They grow 'em stoopid in fundie land.

When the baker denies a wedding cake to a couple "living in sin" then we'll know the baker doesn't just have personal homosexual fixation.

When places of public accommodations are houses of worship and treated as such by our laws then we'll know we have a theocracy. We don't yet.

Xstains would be the very first to cry bloody murder if some muslim or pagan owned business refused to bake goods on the basis of "religious beliefs" for witless, bigoted, fundie trash customers.

Anyone can see this. Even the "religious" throwbacks on the US Supreme Court.
Lol... You're an ignorant bigot.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#712 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Here is the hypocrisy that the anti gays can't even see for themselves. They even use this to justify his being a criminal.

They claim he has served gays before. If he REALLY felt that by serving a SSC he was going against God's will then why is he happy to sell other goods to gays and lesbians and how is that not going against his beliefs?
What hypocrisy is that?
You still never answered the question why do you think people need God and the Bible?
Warm Heart

Central City, KY

#714 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Does it sicken you when you kiss your own daughter or your husband kisses his son?
He's 6 and if he thinks it's not right then it's because you have exposed him to your own bigotry.
BTW how often does he hear you say "GO SUCK ONE" like you did in post #684
Your "christian love" is obvious.
Kissing my daughter is all together different, the two cannot be compared. My grandson is not exposed to bigotry and my Christian love is obvious but I'm sure that you will disagree and that's ok too.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#715 Jan 15, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
Same sex kissing isn't exactly popular in the continent of Africa among others if you haven't noticed.
Daughters kiss their mothers and sons sometime kiss their fathers.

And I said many cultures outside the U.S.

Once again your bigotry has clouded your honesty.

“ reality, what a concept”

Level 2

Since: Nov 07

this one

#716 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
Like I said before, I have homosexual friends and a family member that is homosexual and I love them just the same and I don't have anything against you as a person. I was taught to love everyone and I do, but my beliefs are mine and yours are yours so maybe we can at least agree to disagree. Sorry about your loss. I'm really not as cold as you might think.
They don't have either a friend or family in you, just a relationship with an irrational bigot and less than Christlike Christian. You can pat yourself on the back all you want, but you've made it pretty darn clear what kind of flaming hate you have in your heart.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#717 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> Kissing my daughter is all together different, the two cannot be compared. My grandson is not exposed to bigotry and my Christian love is obvious but I'm sure that you will disagree and that's ok too.
Yes your christian love is obvious. You say you have family and friends who are gay yet behind their back you say they are disgusting.

I don't disagree with you about those facts.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#719 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> Kissing my daughter is all together different, the two cannot be compared. My grandson is not exposed to bigotry and my Christian love is obvious but I'm sure that you will disagree and that's ok too.
Why is it different? It's a kiss.

It's your "disgust over gay sex" that makes you uncomfortable about it.

Like I said (and I speak from experience) if a 6 year old asks why two people are kissing I simply explain it's because they love each other. At that point the child usually says "Oh OK". That is when I explain that some people feel uncomfortable about two people kissing and some people have no problem with it. I then ask if that child feels uncomfortable when they are kissed by their Dad or Grand Dad, or when they see Mom kiss Grandma. In every case the child is usually OK with the idea that kissing as a way to show affection.

That applies to husbands and wives, boyfriends and girlfriends and yes even parents and children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mother, 2 Kids Go Missing In Highlands Ranch 2 min Nancy G 4
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 1 hr Respect71 26,153
Local Denver Street Gang Gets Exposure! (Mar '10) 14 hr Reallife cerealkilla 319
kinfolk mc member a snitch! 22 hr TRUTH45 1
Nicole Dubois Savage 23 hr OIAH 1
Dr Michelle Herren Prescription for White Power... Thu MasteRace 1
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Thu Zhana 683

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages