Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 52222 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

Christaliban

Philadelphia, PA

#673 Jan 14, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to be a guest speaker at church. I'm sure you would remove most of the congregation to your side!
Your a sad bigot.
You didn't address the content, you stupid, ignorant, homophobic, theocratic pos. You're sub human filth.

I'll be a bigot the day I say you anti rational trash can't marry or adopt.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#674 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I agree so why do you insist on showing yours?
<quoted text>Good for him. I guess that earns his more points in your Calvinistic checklist.
<quoted text>WTF? YOU are the one saying that the U.S. Constitution's religious freedom clause supersedes all State Laws. YOU not ME are the one jumping back and forth over the States' Rights fence with religious freedom when you condone his actions claiming religious freedom while at the same time you support laws that deny religious freedom like the SSM ban in Indiana.
I originally came up with this as a response for Kimare but it fits you so well.
The Definition of being Two- Faced.
When the two cheeks you show people are squeezing out a smile, while the two cheeks people experience are the ones squeezing out a load of crap.
<quoted text> Show me wedding cakes in the Constitutional and I'll agree with you.
I am SICK of your condescension and hypocrisy. I AM a CHRISTIAN TOO. Many Christian Churches (like mine and the one I was raised in) now bless and SANCTIFY Same Sex Marriages. You're saying the State Govt has a right to choose between two Christian beliefs and ignore the U.S. Constitution. Yet you then cite the Constitution for religious freedom.
You really should try out for the next Olympic High Jump Team. With all the practice you have from jumping from one side of the fence to the other, I'm sure you'd win GOLD!
“I agree so why do you insist on showing yours?” I’m pointing to the individual rights guaranteed to ALL Americans… You are seemingly in support of government removal of such rights…

“Good for him. I guess that earns his more points in your Calvinistic checklist.”…

“WTF? YOU are the one saying that the U.S. Constitution's religious freedom clause supersedes all State Laws.” Are you saying that State laws “supersede” The US Constitution’s Bill of Rights?
“YOU not ME are the one jumping back and forth over the States' Rights fence with religious freedom when you condone his actions claiming religious freedom while at the same time you support laws that deny religious freedom like the SSM ban in Indiana.

I originally came up with this as a response for Kimare but it fits you so well.

The Definition of being Two- Faced.
When the two cheeks you show people are squeezing out a smile, while the two cheeks people experience are the ones squeezing out a load of crap.” You are the one comparing not selling a cake to stoning to death. The rest of your statement is for a different thread.

“Show me wedding cakes in the Constitutional and I'll agree with you.” You don’t have to agree with me, but you do have to respect that I have rights same as you.

“I am SICK of your condescension and hypocrisy.” Why do you think people need God and the Bible?
“I AM a CHRISTIAN TOO. Many Christian Churches (like mine and the one I was raised in) now bless and SANCTIFY Same Sex Marriages. You're saying the State Govt has a right to choose between two Christian beliefs and ignore the U.S. Constitution. Yet you then cite the Constitution for religious freedom.” Are you saying your are in favor or government forcing Churches not like yours to “SANCTIFY Same Sex Marriages” Or would you rather the government for your church to NOT “SANCTIFY Same Sex Marriages”?
“You really should try out for the next Olympic High Jump Team. With all the practice you have from jumping from one side of the fence to the other, I'm sure you'd win GOLD!” Maybe so, but ALL Americans will have freedom.

Level 6

Location hidden

#675 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>WILL OF THE PEOPLE
Remember that slogan?
You used to use it a lot. That is until the WILL OF THE PEOPLE in Colorado DEMOCRATICALLY decided that bigots like you are NOT free to discriminate in Public Accommodations.
And to use RELIGION as a basis to justify religious discrimination is a great example of how desperate you are to impose your lifestyle choices onto everyone else.
And again I'll ask you about this "Christian's" AGREEMENT to follow State Law when he applied for his business license. Not to mention the DOZENS of Bible verses MOST CHRISTIANS KNOW that say we must obey civil laws.
I guess his LYING to the State and his breaking of one of the 10 Commandments about lying is all part of your religious freedom train, right?
As Kimare often says, "SMIRK"
“WILL OF THE PEOPLE Remember that slogan?” What are you talking about?

“You used to use it a lot.” You must be confusing me with a different poster.
“That is until the WILL OF THE PEOPLE in Colorado DEMOCRATICALLY decided that bigots like you are NOT free to discriminate in Public Accommodations.” I am not bigoted against gays, so you misunderstand. I support our (ALL American’s) individual rights.

“And to use RELIGION as a basis to justify religious discrimination is a great example of how desperate you are to impose your lifestyle choices onto everyone else.” So what you your say to the Americans who feel gays are imposing their life style choice into the institution of marriage? You speak of the “WILL OF THE PEOPLE”, so how would you explain gay marriage to those who voted on PROP 8 in Calinfornia?

“And again I'll ask you about this "Christian's" AGREEMENT to follow State Law when he applied for his business license. Not to mention the DOZENS of Bible verses MOST CHRISTIANS KNOW that say we must obey civil laws. I guess his LYING to the State and his breaking of one of the 10 Commandments about lying is all part of your religious freedom train, right?” That’s a consequence of a free society… Would you rather the government force you to go to a state sanctioned church?

Level 6

Location hidden

#676 Jan 15, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Go deny a wedding cake to an engaged couple who's been "living in sin," Cletus.
If it was his choice to do so would you ask the government to force him to sell the cake?

Level 6

Location hidden

#677 Jan 15, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't address the content, you stupid, ignorant, homophobic, theocratic pos. You're sub human filth.
I'll be a bigot the day I say you anti rational trash can't marry or adopt.
Your words speak very well for your bigotry… You obviously don’t need help with that.
Warm Heart

Central City, KY

#678 Jan 15, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no excuse to have such ignorance of the US Constitution.
Did the baker stone the gays?
No.
Did the baker beat them beyond recognition?
No.
He did not sell a wedding cake, and if you're going to attempt to compare the two as the same then you are obviously irrational and illogical.
Marriage for many Christians and many others is a relationship between one mans and one woman. The wedding cake is a Symbol of that institution and the government is forcing him to give that up with fail time a fines, and forcing him to sell a wedding cake. It's un-constitutional.
I agree totally. Well said.
Warm Heart

Central City, KY

#681 Jan 15, 2014
Christsharian Deelite wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey bigot, you no longer have any place in educated society.
What's educated about this society? I have been educated for many years now as a matter of fact the best education, it comes from the word of God. I am not here to judge anyone because I do have friends who are homosexuals and a person in my family who is, so you can keep the bigotry out of this as it has nothing to do with the Truth.
Warm Heart

Central City, KY

#682 Jan 15, 2014
Ps, it sickens me to try to explain to my 6 year old Grandson why 2 men or 2 women are kissing in the mouth. He's 6 and he knows that it's not right. I don't really care what you think of me " this society is sick"!
Warm Heart

Central City, KY

#684 Jan 15, 2014
Christsharian Deelite wrote:
<quoted text>
When you said you aren't judging you were bearing false witness.
You'd repent if you weren't such a stupid hypocrite, you trash.
It's not what I think of you, it's that throwback, cafeteria christianists are becoming outliers in industrialized democracies the world over. You may have your buybull babble enclaves in society. That's it. Outside of those cult niches you'll learn to keep your homophobia on the down low, like your kkk friends have to.
GO SUCK ONE!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#685 Jan 15, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“WILL OF THE PEOPLE Remember that slogan?” What are you talking about?
“You used to use it a lot.” You must be confusing me with a different poster.
“That is until the WILL OF THE PEOPLE in Colorado DEMOCRATICALLY decided that bigots like you are NOT free to discriminate in Public Accommodations.” I am not bigoted against gays, so you misunderstand. I support our (ALL American’s) individual rights.
Then why do you oppose my right to marry? Why do you oppose my church from practicing it's religious freedom in Indiana?
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>“And to use RELIGION as a basis to justify religious discrimination is a great example of how desperate you are to impose your lifestyle choices onto everyone else.” So what you your say to the Americans who feel gays are imposing their life style choice into the institution of marriage? You speak of the “WILL OF THE PEOPLE”, so how would you explain gay marriage to those who voted on PROP 8 in Calinfornia?
That's easy.

West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.

and:

ARTICLE 4 [Legal Status of the Constitution]
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>“And again I'll ask you about this "Christian's" AGREEMENT to follow State Law when he applied for his business license. Not to mention the DOZENS of Bible verses MOST CHRISTIANS KNOW that say we must obey civil laws. I guess his LYING to the State and his breaking of one of the 10 Commandments about lying is all part of your religious freedom train, right?” That’s a consequence of a free society… Would you rather the government force you to go to a state sanctioned church?
I'd rather people obey the law and not be bigots but as you said that's the way it is.
My point is that the anti-gays cry States Rights when it suits them and Federalism when that suits them. The are hypocritical just as this man is.

The issue is "Did he violate State Law and the Will of the people?"

What is your answer?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#686 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> GO SUCK ONE!
I hope you have a "GET OUT OF HELL FREE card"

Matthew 25:31-46
New International Version (NIV)

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right,‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply,‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left,‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply,‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#687 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
Ps, it sickens me to try to explain to my 6 year old Grandson why 2 men or 2 women are kissing in the mouth. He's 6 and he knows that it's not right. I don't really care what you think of me " this society is sick"!
Does it sicken you when you kiss your own daughter or your husband kisses his son?

He's 6 and if he thinks it's not right then it's because you have exposed him to your own bigotry.

BTW how often does he hear you say "GO SUCK ONE" like you did in post #684

Your "christian love" is obvious.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#688 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> GO SUCK ONE!
what a warm hearted response from a so called christian.
Warm Heart

Central City, KY

#689 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you have a "GET OUT OF HELL FREE card"
Matthew 25:31-46
New International Version (NIV)
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right,‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply,‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left,‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply,‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
So, I'm going to hell because I said go suck one?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#690 Jan 15, 2014
Here's a kid any parent would be proud of.
Protesters took to the state capitol in Salt Lake City to rally against Utah Governor Gary Herbert's decision not to recognize same-sex marriage in the state. One of the most moving people to give a speech to the hundreds-strong crowd was 12-year-old Riley Hackford-Peer, who spoke about his experiences having two moms.
"I'm here today to talk about love, family and equal rights," said Riley. "Some people do not believe that I'm from a loving family because my moms are gay. They are wrong. I love my moms, and my moms love me and my brother, unconditionally."
He says that seeing his mothers get married in December was the second happiest day of his life - the first being when his little brother was born. "It felt like fireworks bursting in my heart," he says.
"The funny thing is, nothing really changed," he continues. "We're still a family, and we all love each other. The only difference is now they have equal rights."
"Governor Herbert wants to treat my moms unfairly," he says. "He says he wants to 'protect families.' But I want to tell him that my family deserves protection, too. I have two moms -- and I love them. And they deserve to have their marriage recognized everywhere."
Hours after this rally took place, the federal government announced that it would recognize same-sex marriages performed in Utah, overriding Herbert's decision. Unfortunately, last week, the U.S. Supreme Court put a halt to same-sex marriages in Utah until a federal appeals court has ruled on the state ban, however, with the huge strides that gay marriage has made in the U.S. in the last year, Utah's days of inequality are surely numbered.

http://shine.yahoo.com/author-blog-posts/12-o...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#691 Jan 15, 2014
Warm Heart wrote:
<quoted text> So, I'm going to hell because I said go suck one?
I have no idea since I'm not God and neither are you.

I was simply pointing out to you as a fellow Christian that you aren't showing the Christian Love I was raised to believe in.

I wish you could have been at my partner's funeral and heard my nieces and nephews express their love for their "Uncle Paul". I wish you had seen my father sing the Lord's Prayer as the anthem and know how honored he felt that I asked him to sing one of Paul's favorite songs.

Here's something else for you to digest:
12-Year-Old Boy Speaks Up for Gay Moms and Marriage Equality

Protesters took to the state capitol in Salt Lake City to rally against Utah Governor Gary Herbert's decision not to recognize same-sex marriage in the state. One of the most moving people to give a speech to the hundreds-strong crowd was 12-year-old Riley Hackford-Peer, who spoke about his experiences having two moms.
"I'm here today to talk about love, family and equal rights," said Riley. "Some people do not believe that I'm from a loving family because my moms are gay. They are wrong. I love my moms, and my moms love me and my brother, unconditionally."
He says that seeing his mothers get married in December was the second happiest day of his life - the first being when his little brother was born. "It felt like fireworks bursting in my heart," he says.
"The funny thing is, nothing really changed," he continues. "We're still a family, and we all love each other. The only difference is now they have equal rights."
"Governor Herbert wants to treat my moms unfairly," he says. "He says he wants to 'protect families.' But I want to tell him that my family deserves protection, too. I have two moms -- and I love them. And they deserve to have their marriage recognized everywhere."
Hours after this rally took place, the federal government announced that it would recognize same-sex marriages performed in Utah, overriding Herbert's decision. Unfortunately, last week, the U.S. Supreme Court put a halt to same-sex marriages in Utah until a federal appeals court has ruled on the state ban, however, with the huge strides that gay marriage has made in the U.S. in the last year, Utah's days of inequality are surely numbered.

Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#692 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
He could have 12 'moms' but they shouldn't be married.

Level 6

Location hidden

#693 Jan 15, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Then
What is your answer?
“Then why do you oppose my right to marry?” 1st there is no such right. Second, I don’t oppose for you to be with whoever your partner is. Lastly, the definition of marriage is and has been for a great deal of years one man and one woman relationships. because the gay relationship is different it deserves its own definition. That is why Colorado has it right in this respect. The idea of “marriage equality” is false.

“Why do you oppose my church from practicing it's religious freedom in Indiana?” I don’t. Gays have beed getting united for decades and I know the Unity church did ceremonies for them.

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>“And to use RELIGION as a basis to justify religious discrimination is a great example of how desperate you are to impose your lifestyle choices onto everyone else.” So what you your say to the Americans who feel gays are imposing their life style choice into the institution of marriage? You speak of the “WILL OF THE PEOPLE”, so how would you explain gay marriage to those who voted on PROP 8 in Calinfornia?
That's easy.

“West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.

and:

ARTICLE 4 [Legal Status of the Constitution]
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.” So does that mean make laws that will make the believe the same as you?

“I'd rather people obey the law and not be bigots but as you said that's the way it is.
My point is that the anti-gays cry States Rights when it suits them and Federalism when that suits them. The are hypocritical just as this man is.” Why do you think people need God and the Bible? The consequence of a free society is people can be mean and stupid and still have rights.

“The issue is "Did he violate State Law and the Will of the people?"

What is your answer?” He did break the law but he still has rights, just like persons at the gay pride parades.
wynonnas big beaver

Englewood, CO

#694 Jan 15, 2014
I see you're still swinging them Buford Pusser hickory sticks, and beating that dead horse.
-
Keep eating your Wheaties, you need to maintain your strength.
-
See you at The Lucky Spot!
Warm Heart

Central City, KY

#695 Jan 15, 2014
I did not say what to go suck, that's your dirty mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 4 hr tbird19482 29,220
Sally Ann Woods aka Sally Ann Chao aka Sally A... 11 hr Floored 1
Nicole DuBois Savage 14 hr Jamie Dundee 18
need black? Tue inthemiddle 1
Respect71 is a hypocritical LOSER (Dec '15) Jul 23 MAGA 7
Constant Connect for Black tar and China White ... (Nov '16) Jul 23 Kincaid13 29
CHI-St. Lukes Health CEO's Jul 19 anonymous 4

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages