Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 21959 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#652 Jan 13, 2014
Jesus Latter Day Taint wrote:
<quoted text>
We're in the process of fixing those backwards states' marriage laws, but these laws prohibiting discrimination in places of public accommodations do not rest on whether CO at this time recognizes the same sex marriage in question.
Getting a cake is not a right associated with marriage. It is a right associated with non discrimination clauses covering businesses in this non theocracy. You're very confused, as always.
The baker may be as hypocritically and superficially "devout" as he wishes outside the realm of places of public accommodations. Though we oddly don't see him tossing those who covet or take the lawd's name in vain out of his business.
Gays have what they want in Colorado as do the Americans who believe that the definition of marriage should remain.

A wedding cake is not a right of gay couples who are “gay-married”.

The baker has individual rights as guaranteed by our Constitution. Charging government to force him to go against his beliefs won’t make him change his mind.

Level 6

Location hidden

#653 Jan 13, 2014
<quoted text>
Uneducated, brain washed, anti rational fundies.
LOL...

Right!? Anyone who doesn’t believe as you are “Uneducated, brain washed, anti rational fundies.”

Get the government to force them the change, right?!
Jesus Latter Day Taint

Philadelphia, PA

#654 Jan 13, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another ID... What a surprise.
He didn’t bar them... he didn’t sell a wedding cake because of his belief is on marriage and what he designs those cakes for.
You seem a poor judge on what’s spiritual or legal for that matter.
Hey lying filth, he denied them a service of his business which he withholds from no other "sinners."

With respect to places of public accommodations, no business owner gets to discriminate against protected groups on the basis of (hypocritical) "religious" beliefs. A house of worship could do so in some - or many - cases, regrettably.

I can't wait until some muslim or buddhist or pagan or jewish owned business refuses to sell a product to some fundie xstain. Then we'll hear a different tune from the christianists.
Jesus Latter Day Taint

Philadelphia, PA

#655 Jan 13, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays have what they want in Colorado as do the Americans who believe that the definition of marriage should remain.
A wedding cake is not a right of gay couples who are “gay-married”.
The baker has individual rights as guaranteed by our Constitution. Charging government to force him to go against his beliefs won’t make him change his mind.
Again, the state of marriage laws, or why the couple is buying the cake to begin with, has no bearing on the law regarding places of public accommodations discriminating against protected groups.

The courts will not hear that issue. They will apparently need to mull over whether religious beliefs of a business owner trump anti discrimination ordinances, but that has nothing to do with the state of marriage law in CO.

You're one confused bigot.
Jesus Latter Day Taint

Philadelphia, PA

#656 Jan 13, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...
Right!? Anyone who doesn’t believe as you are “Uneducated, brain washed, anti rational fundies.”
Get the government to force them the change, right?!
No, the freeeks who can't understand this isn't a theocracy are the uneducated, brain washed, anti rational fundies. You know, the type who think the earth is under 10000 years old.

The category of persons who believe differently from me on this or that matter are a larger group than those afore mentioned, sexually sick, xstain mullahs.

Right wing cretins seem to have trouble with the notion of "subset," or as part of their continual dissembling like to pretend that being disgusted by bigoted fundies translates into being disgusted by Christians. That is clearly a form of lying on their part.

Level 6

Location hidden

#657 Jan 13, 2014
<quoted text>
Hey lying filth, he denied them a service of his business which he withholds from no other "sinners."
With respect to places of public accommodations, no business owner gets to discriminate against protected groups on the basis of (hypocritical) "religious" beliefs. A house of worship could do so in some - or many - cases, regrettably.
I can't wait until some muslim or buddhist or pagan or jewish owned business refuses to sell a product to some fundie xstain. Then we'll hear a different tune from the christianists.
Says the hate-filled bigot who loves the government to force other to how you believe. I’ll continue to pray for you.

Level 6

Location hidden

#658 Jan 13, 2014
<quoted text>
No, the freeeks who can't understand this isn't a theocracy are the uneducated, brain washed, anti rational fundies. You know, the type who think the earth is under 10000 years old.
The category of persons who believe differently from me on this or that matter are a larger group than those afore mentioned, sexually sick, xstain mullahs.
Right wing cretins seem to have trouble with the notion of "subset," or as part of their continual dissembling like to pretend that being disgusted by bigoted fundies translates into being disgusted by Christians. That is clearly a form of lying on their part.
Apparently I understand better than you, that we are a Constitutional Republic where individual rights should be respected, and the unfortunate consequence of a free society is people like you.
Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#659 Jan 13, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently I understand better than you, that we are a Constitutional Republic where individual rights should be respected, and the unfortunate consequence of a free society is people like you.
You did not understand anything.

The Civil Rights Act of 64 clearly set forth that overt discrimination is not permissible in places of public accommodations. Since that time, other categories have been added either federally or locally, including disability, veteran's status and perceived sexual orientation.

It's been the law. I don't know where you jeesus freeeks have been.

And our xstain mullahs would be the first to sue over a "war on christianity" if any business barred fundie customers from the premises. Those sorts of lawsuits by christianists are well known and common.
Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#660 Jan 13, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the hate-filled bigot who loves the government to force other to how you believe. I’ll continue to pray for you.
As usual you avoided the simple point:

The bigot baker never applied his oh so religious standards to any other customers, such as couples who co habitate before marriage.

So it's not really about religious belief, otherwise he would have acted similarly. He's just a stupid, disgusting, homophobic bigot grasping for some justification [sic].

And you have no reply to this. All you can do is whine about being called what you are - a bigot.

As for hate, of course educated people hate the kkk and other reprobate bigots. But what we haven't done - unlike the fundie bigots in question - is say that these fundie bigots can't marry or adopt or serve openly or have employment protections.

So there's no question who the bigots are, you stupid bigot.

Level 6

Location hidden

#661 Jan 14, 2014
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not understand anything.
The Civil Rights Act of 64 clearly set forth that overt discrimination is not permissible in places of public accommodations. Since that time, other categories have been added either federally or locally, including disability, veteran's status and perceived sexual orientation.
It's been the law. I don't know where you jeesus freeeks have been.
And our xstain mullahs would be the first to sue over a "war on christianity" if any business barred fundie customers from the premises. Those sorts of lawsuits by christianists are well known and common.
LOL... So you support government forcing a belief. The Constitution doesn’t mean anything to you unless it benefits your leftist views.
Christaliban

Philadelphia, PA

#662 Jan 14, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL... So you support government forcing a belief. The Constitution doesn’t mean anything to you unless it benefits your leftist views.
Hey stupid filth, the matter you are complaining about is settled law and has been for decades.

You may be a serial bigot, and you are. You stinking, ignorant, "religious" freeeks have that right.

What no one may do is discriminate against protected groups in places of public accommodations, because this is not an xstain theocracy in which some claimed "religious" belief allows a business to, say, not make cakes for fundamentalist christianists.

By the way, jeesus pos, this baker didn't refuse to make wedding cakes for str8, engaged couple who have been "living in sin," so we know the baker is not acting out of religious convictions, anyway. Otherwise he would have done that, also. He didn't.

You stupid bigot.

Level 6

Location hidden

#663 Jan 14, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey stupid filth, the matter you are complaining about is settled law and has been for decades.
You may be a serial bigot, and you are. You stinking, ignorant, "religious" freeeks have that right.
What no one may do is discriminate against protected groups in places of public accommodations, because this is not an xstain theocracy in which some claimed "religious" belief allows a business to, say, not make cakes for fundamentalist christianists.
By the way, jeesus pos, this baker didn't refuse to make wedding cakes for str8, engaged couple who have been "living in sin," so we know the baker is not acting out of religious convictions, anyway. Otherwise he would have done that, also. He didn't.
You stupid bigot.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; "

Hate Christians and others who believe that marriage is between one man and one woman all you want... ALL Americans hate the right to express their belief... Denying the Constitution in favor of your beliefs forced on other by government is nothing less than stupid.
Christaliban

Philadelphia, PA

#664 Jan 14, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; "
Hate Christians and others who believe that marriage is between one man and one woman all you want... ALL Americans hate the right to express their belief... Denying the Constitution in favor of your beliefs forced on other by government is nothing less than stupid.
Hey dumb pos, you did not address any of the content, as usual, because you are a stupid, uneducated, brainwashed bigot.

You fundie freaks wouldn't for a second tolerate a muslim business refusing service to xstains - and that would clearly be against the law - so you can take your misunderstanding of the First Amendment back to your inbred hom skool teechur.

The principle of not permitting businesses to discriminate has been clear for decades. Of course you hate that businesses can no long have whites only counters.

You are perfectly free to be sexually sick bigots; you are not free to act out your sexually sick discrimination in places of public accommodations. Can you even understand the difference, you disgusting, ignorant, fundie cretin?

Lastly the bigotry has nothing to do with "religious" beliefs, anyway. Otherwise the bigot baker would not be making cakes for weddings of str8 people who have been living in "sin." The "religious" argument is just another excuse for sick homophobia.
wynonnas big beaver

Conifer, CO

#665 Jan 14, 2014
Still beating on that dead horse aren't you.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#666 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Uneducated, brain washed, anti rational fundies.
The Definition of being Two Faced.

When the two cheeks people see are squeezing out a smile, but the two cheeks people experience are the ones squeezing out crap.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#667 Jan 14, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;”
Yes that's correct. What does Congress have to do with the States Rights Laws of Colorado?

Did CONGRESS get involved here?

NO

Has this guy been prevented by the Government from practising his faith?

No

Did he violate a law that as a Christian he said he'd obey when he got his business license?

Yes.

Did he get punished?

Yes

Was it THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE?

YES!!!

If he were to stone an adulteress to death in front of his store would you still be making a fool of yourself by claiming 'religious freedom'?

The jury is still out on that one.

Level 6

Location hidden

#668 Jan 14, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>Hey dumb pos, you did not address any of the content, as usual, because you are a stupid, uneducated, brainwashed bigot.

You fundie freaks wouldn't for a second tolerate a muslim business refusing service to xstains - and that would clearly be against the law - so you can take your misunderstanding of the First Amendment back to your inbred hom skool teechur.

The principle of not permitting businesses to discriminate has been clear for decades. Of course you hate that businesses can no long have whites only counters.

You are perfectly free to be sexually sick bigots; you are not free to act out your sexually sick discrimination in places of public accommodations. Can you even understand the difference, you disgusting, ignorant, fundie cretin?

Lastly the bigotry has nothing to do with "religious" beliefs, anyway. Otherwise the bigot baker would not be making cakes for weddings of str8 people who have been living in "sin." The "religious" argument is just another excuse for sick homophobia.
You need to be a guest speaker at church. I'm sure you would remove most of the congregation to your side!

Your a sad bigot.

Level 6

Location hidden

#669 Jan 14, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Yes that's correct. What does Congress have to do with the States Rights Laws of Colorado?

Did CONGRESS get involved here?

NO

Has this guy been prevented by the Government from practising his faith?

No

Did he violate a law that as a Christian he said he'd obey when he got his business license?

Yes.

Did he get punished?

Yes

Was it THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE?

YES!!!

If he were to stone an adulteress to death in front of his store would you still be making a fool of yourself by claiming 'religious freedom'?

The jury is still out on that one.
There is no excuse to have such ignorance of the US Constitution.

Did the baker stone the gays?
No.
Did the baker beat them beyond recognition?
No.

He did not sell a wedding cake, and if you're going to attempt to compare the two as the same then you are obviously irrational and illogical.

Marriage for many Christians and many others is a relationship between one mans and one woman. The wedding cake is a Symbol of that institution and the government is forcing him to give that up with fail time a fines, and forcing him to sell a wedding cake. It's un-constitutional.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#670 Jan 14, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree so why do you insist on showing yours?
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>Did the baker stone the gays?
No.
No.
Good for him. I guess that earns his more points in your Calvinistic checklist.
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>He did not sell a wedding cake, and if you're going to attempt to compare the two as the same then you are obviously irrational and illogical.
WTF? YOU are the one saying that the U.S. Constitution's religious freedom clause supersedes all State Laws. YOU not ME are the one jumping back and forth over the States' Rights fence with religious freedom when you condone his actions claiming religious freedom while at the same time you support laws that deny religious freedom like the SSM ban in Indiana.

I originally came up with this as a response for Kimare but it fits you so well.

The Definition of being Two- Faced.
When the two cheeks you show people are squeezing out a smile, while the two cheeks people experience are the ones squeezing out a load of crap.
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>Marriage for many Christians and many others is a relationship between one mans and one woman. The wedding cake is a Symbol of that institution and the government is forcing him to give that up with fail time a fines, and forcing him to sell a wedding cake. It's un-constitutional.
Show me wedding cakes in the Constitutional and I'll agree with you.

I am SICK of your condescension and hypocrisy. I AM a CHRISTIAN TOO. Many Christian Churches (like mine and the one I was raised in) now bless and SANCTIFY Same Sex Marriages. You're saying the State Govt has a right to choose between two Christian beliefs and ignore the U.S. Constitution. Yet you then cite the Constitution for religious freedom.

You really should try out for the next Olympic High Jump Team. With all the practice you have from jumping from one side of the fence to the other, I'm sure you'd win GOLD!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#671 Jan 14, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did the baker stone the gays?
No.
No.
He did not sell a wedding cake, and if you're going to attempt to compare the two as the same then you are obviously irrational and illogical.
Marriage for many Christians and many others is a relationship between one mans and one woman. The wedding cake is a Symbol of that institution and the government is forcing him to give that up with fail time a fines, and forcing him to sell a wedding cake. It's un-constitutional.
WILL OF THE PEOPLE

Remember that slogan?

You used to use it a lot. That is until the WILL OF THE PEOPLE in Colorado DEMOCRATICALLY decided that bigots like you are NOT free to discriminate in Public Accommodations.

And to use RELIGION as a basis to justify religious discrimination is a great example of how desperate you are to impose your lifestyle choices onto everyone else.

And again I'll ask you about this "Christian's" AGREEMENT to follow State Law when he applied for his business license. Not to mention the DOZENS of Bible verses MOST CHRISTIANS KNOW that say we must obey civil laws.

I guess his LYING to the State and his breaking of one of the 10 Commandments about lying is all part of your religious freedom train, right?

As Kimare often says, "SMIRK"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 10 min Wondering 4,780
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 2 hr Wilbur 18,289
Transgender and Social Change are Out of Control 5 hr Culture Auditor 1
Cities to avoid...? 23 hr Newbie 1
News Teacher back in class after Bush-Hitler comparison (Mar '06) Tue Joe 145
Bob Brutyn (Mar '10) Sun i got your cupcake 8
I Really Miss You Sun Your Ex 2
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE