Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 58390 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

“ reality, what a concept”

Level 2

Since: Nov 07

this one

#589 Jan 7, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
I will concede it’s “meaningless” when you present just one regulation or law that doesn’t discriminate.
The laws and regulations apply to all business owners, regardless of their religious beliefs, or lack thereof. Start conceding
Respect71 wrote:
Sorry, our Constitution is clear.
He has no 1st Amendment right to violate the law, it is why he was found guilty.
Respect71 wrote:
He wasn’t but we will find out when the photographer case goes through no won’t we?
She has lost three times already, including unanimously before the state supreme court. She and your ridiculous argument are toast.
Respect71 wrote:
You mean how hospitals only let board certified doctors become surgeons? Discrimination is a fact of life.
Stupid, stupid reply.
Respect71 wrote:
Really? Do I need to post the specific images from a recent gay pride parade? You know I’m not lying, and that’s whats sad about your statement right now.
Hon, you had your shot to prove your point, you failed spectacularly. If you really want to try again, you'd better make damn sure that what you are showing violates local decency statutes.
Respect71 wrote:
He violated the law because of our Constitution.
No he didn't he violated it because he's a bigot, God might excuse it, but the Constitution sure in the hell doesn't.
Respect71 wrote:
Not if it goes against the Constitution.
One more time since you won't let it sink in. I've proved how the restriction survives the strict scrutiny necessary to limit the freedom of religion. You have yet to prove otherwise.
Respect71 wrote:
I am proud to be an American, and support our 1st Amendment in this case as well as gay pride parades. The fact you favor one over the other... You should be ashamed.
You don't support the Constitution, just your fantasy that it actually allows for religiously motivated discrimination by the operator of a place of public accommodation.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#590 Jan 7, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
“The laws and regulations apply to all business owners, regardless of their religious beliefs, or lack thereof. Start conceding” The Constitution is clear. Show a regulation that doesn’t discriminate. You can’t.

“He has no 1st Amendment right to violate the law, it is why he was found guilty.” The Constitution is clear.

“She has lost three times already, including unanimously before the state supreme court. She and your ridiculous argument are toast.” The Constitution is clear, so we shall see.

“Stupid, stupid reply.” Discrimination is a fact of life.... If you are going to use government force to make you feel better about your life choices then you deny our Constitution.

“Hon, you had your shot to prove your point, you failed spectacularly. If you really want to try again, you'd better make damn sure that what you are showing violates local decency statutes.” That’s why your credibility is little to none. I support gay pride, would NEVER take a child to one, and still stand by the Constitution of these United States.

“No he didn't he violated it because he's a bigot, God might excuse it, but the Constitution sure in the hell doesn't.” The 1st Amendment of the United States of America. The government can’t force a person to change his belief because you are bigoted against him.

“One more time since you won't let it sink in. I've proved how the restriction survives the strict scrutiny necessary to limit the freedom of religion. You have yet to prove otherwise.” As many times as you want! The 1st Amendment of the United States of America. The government can’t force a person to change his belief because you are bigoted against him.

“You don't support the Constitution, just your fantasy that it actually allows for religiously motivated discrimination by the operator of a place of public accommodation.” I absolutely support the Constitution, gay pride and the baker... Why are you motivated to discriminate against the baker for his religious belief? Why do you need government to support and inforce your own bigoted ideals?
FundieraiSing Mullahs

Philadelphia, PA

#591 Jan 7, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
When you learn to be civil....
Defaming, ignorant, anti Consitutional, anti Christian mullahs aren't going to get civility. Bigots aren't entitled to that. They will be treated as they have treated others - as less than.

You stupid, self righteous, prissy bigot fer jeesus.

Now, why don't you freeeks similarly go rail about those who covet?

Because you merely have a psycho sexual problem. What Christianity demands pales in comparison to your homophobic obsessions.

You trash aren't dying off demographically fast enough, though you are dying off. Praiz!
FundieraiSing Mullahs

Philadelphia, PA

#592 Jan 7, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reality is ALL Americans have rights... Even a baker.
Staggering! Isn't it?!
How entirely twisted.

No, we have already decided as a society that places of public accommodations do not get to discriminate based on some sexual obsession or some buybull babble. This isn't a theocracy and we have well established laws.

Though we know most of you tee baggrz fundies would like to be able to toss all black people or all muslims out of your businesses.

Level 6

Location hidden

#593 Jan 7, 2014
FundieraiSing Mullahs wrote:
<quoted text>Defaming, ignorant, anti Consitutional, anti Christian mullahs aren't going to get civility. Bigots aren't entitled to that. They will be treated as they have treated others - as less than.

You stupid, self righteous, prissy bigot fer jeesus.

Now, why don't you freeeks similarly go rail about those who covet?

Because you merely have a psycho sexual problem. What Christianity demands pales in comparison to your homophobic obsessions.

You trash aren't dying off demographically fast enough, though you are dying off. Praiz!
Unfortunately, vulgar bigots like you still thrive. A consequence of a free society.

Level 6

Location hidden

#594 Jan 7, 2014
<quoted text>How entirely twisted.

No, we have already decided as a society that places of public accommodations do not get to discriminate based on some sexual obsession or some buybull babble. This isn't a theocracy and we have well established laws.

Though we know most of you tee baggrz fundies would like to be able to toss all black people or all muslims out of your businesses.
We have the 1st Amendment of our Constitution, and even with your hate filled, discriminatory speech I support you as protected by it.
FundieraiSing Mullahs

Philadelphia, PA

#595 Jan 7, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, vulgar bigots like you still thrive. A consequence of a free society.
I'll be the bigot the day the I say you talibangelical reprobates can't marry or adopt or be protected from arbitrary firing, or try to stop you little christianist snot buybull study clubs in public schools, etc.

I already do, and correctly, say you are the sexually sick ones.

Now go rail equally against those who bear false witness against their neighbor. Then we'll know you're sincere in your "religious" beliefs. You stupid, disgusting rube.

Level 2

this one

#596 Jan 7, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“The laws and regulations apply to all business owners, regardless of their religious beliefs, or lack thereof. Start conceding” The Constitution is clear. Show a regulation that doesn’t discriminate. You can’t.
“He has no 1st Amendment right to violate the law, it is why he was found guilty.” The Constitution is clear.
“She has lost three times already, including unanimously before the state supreme court. She and your ridiculous argument are toast.” The Constitution is clear, so we shall see.
“Stupid, stupid reply.” Discrimination is a fact of life.... If you are going to use government force to make you feel better about your life choices then you deny our Constitution.
“Hon, you had your shot to prove your point, you failed spectacularly. If you really want to try again, you'd better make damn sure that what you are showing violates local decency statutes.” That’s why your credibility is little to none. I support gay pride, would NEVER take a child to one, and still stand by the Constitution of these United States.
“No he didn't he violated it because he's a bigot, God might excuse it, but the Constitution sure in the hell doesn't.” The 1st Amendment of the United States of America. The government can’t force a person to change his belief because you are bigoted against him.
“One more time since you won't let it sink in. I've proved how the restriction survives the strict scrutiny necessary to limit the freedom of religion. You have yet to prove otherwise.” As many times as you want! The 1st Amendment of the United States of America. The government can’t force a person to change his belief because you are bigoted against him.
“You don't support the Constitution, just your fantasy that it actually allows for religiously motivated discrimination by the operator of a place of public accommodation.” I absolutely support the Constitution, gay pride and the baker... Why are you motivated to discriminate against the baker for his religious belief? Why do you need government to support and inforce your own bigoted ideals?
Your repetitious vacuous replies have gotten tiresome. The reality is this, there is no 1st amendment protection for illegal acts of discrimination.

Level 6

Location hidden

#597 Jan 8, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Your repetitious vacuous replies have gotten tiresome. The reality is this, there is no 1st amendment protection for illegal acts of discrimination.
The reality is that there IS!

Your refusal to allow a Constitutional right to others will eventually fall upon you and your rights… If you allow government to restrict the baker then you must allow government to restrict gay pride.

If you truly support EQUAL rights for ALL Americans then that what this is about… HOWEVER, after re-reading your posts it’s obvious that equality isn’t your concern.

Level 6

Location hidden

#598 Jan 8, 2014
<quoted text>
I'll be the bigot the day the I say you talibangelical reprobates can't marry or adopt or be protected from arbitrary firing, or try to stop you little christianist snot buybull study clubs in public schools, etc.
I already do, and correctly, say you are the sexually sick ones.
Now go rail equally against those who bear false witness against their neighbor. Then we'll know you're sincere in your "religious" beliefs. You stupid, disgusting rube.
I wept as I read your most recent posts… You have such hate a distain in your heart that it’s so tearing you up.

I prayed for you this morning, and I continue to pray in the hopes God touch your heart and that you realize the world you live in is created in such amazing beautiful ways and your continuous hate keeps you from living fully.
You should really consider why people need to Bible… Why people need God.

Level 2

this one

#600 Jan 8, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
The reality is that there IS!
Your refusal to allow a Constitutional right to others will eventually fall upon you and your rights… If you allow government to restrict the baker then you must allow government to restrict gay pride.
If you truly support EQUAL rights for ALL Americans then that what this is about… HOWEVER, after re-reading your posts it’s obvious that equality isn’t your concern.
Are you always this obtuse in every discussion you engage in or is this lack of fact, logic and reason special just for me? The government restricts and even polices gay pride parades. Are you suggesting we station police in every business to ensure they are in compliance with the laws they are supposed to be obeying? You have yet to counter the reality that the government has a compelling interest in preventing acts of discrimination in the public square, EVEN among those business owners of the sad belief that God approves their illegal acts.

Level 6

Location hidden

#601 Jan 8, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Are you always this obtuse in every discussion you engage in or is this lack of fact, logic and reason special just for me? The government restricts and even polices gay pride parades. Are you suggesting we station police in every business to ensure they are in compliance with the laws they are supposed to be obeying? You have yet to counter the reality that the government has a compelling interest in preventing acts of discrimination in the public square, EVEN among those business owners of the sad belief that God approves their illegal acts.
“Are you always this obtuse in every discussion you engage in or is this lack of fact, logic and reason special just for me?” Wow… That was self-centered… You should consider this while thinking about 1st Amendment rights.
“The government restricts and even polices gay pride parades. Are you suggesting we station police in every business to ensure they are in compliance with the laws they are supposed to be obeying?” No, and what from my post would allow you to even think I am implying such a thing?
“You have yet to counter the reality that the government has a compelling interest in preventing acts of discrimination in the public square, EVEN among those business owners of the sad belief that God approves their illegal acts.” That being said, over and over, is the next step after restricting the baker to then target Christian wedding dress designers, Christian videographers; Christian owned venues, and then Churches? Whether you agree or not about what one believes about marriage, to allow government to influence and prosecute them for their beliefs allows them to do the same for your beliefs.

Level 2

this one

#602 Jan 8, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
Wow… That was self-centered… You should consider this while thinking about 1st Amendment rights.
No, it was a factually accurate description of your reply as being devoid of anything which should be confused with fact, logic or reason.
Respect71 wrote:
No, and what from my post would allow you to even think I am implying such a thing?
You're the one comparing gay pride parades to private businesses. They actively police parades for violations of the law, shouldn't they actively police businesses as well?
Respect71 wrote:
That being said, over and over, is the next step after restricting the baker to then target Christian wedding dress designers, Christian videographers; Christian owned venues, and then Churches? Whether you agree or not about what one believes about marriage, to allow government to influence and prosecute them for their beliefs allows them to do the same for your beliefs.
They aren't being persecuted for their beliefs, they are being prosecuted for violating a law which applies to Non-Christian business owners as well. You are demanding a special right for believers, not happening.
Dr Reker s Bellhop

Philadelphia, PA

#603 Jan 8, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I prayed for you this morning...Why people need God.
You stupid bigot, you should be praying for your own eternal soul by your own tenets, since you run around persecuting and defaming and disfranchising only some "sinners," the ones that just so happen by pure coincidence to threaten you sexually in some way, or threaten your backwards gender ideas.

Don't invoke gawd. Hateful bigots like you make a mockery of the concept of Christianity or of the golden rule.

But eventually you backwater trash will realize that society is going to treat you bigoted filth as you have treated others.

Level 6

Location hidden

#604 Jan 8, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>No, it was a factually accurate description of your reply as being devoid of anything which should be confused with fact, logic or reason.
<quoted text>You're the one comparing gay pride parades to private businesses. They actively police parades for violations of the law, shouldn't they actively police businesses as well?
<quoted text>They aren't being persecuted for their beliefs, they are being prosecuted for violating a law which applies to Non-Christian business owners as well. You are demanding a special right for believers, not happening.
“No, it was a factually accurate description of your reply as being devoid of anything which should be confused with fact, logic or reason.” Interesting... But not surprising.

“You're the one comparing gay pride parades to private businesses. They actively police parades for violations of the law,” So now you admit to the exception to decency laws?
“shouldn't they actively police businesses as well?” No... Privately owned businesses should have a little regulation as possible in order to thrive... That’s for a different thread.

“They aren't being persecuted for their beliefs, they are being prosecuted for violating a law which applies to Non-Christian business owners as well. You are demanding a special right for believers, not happening.” No... My position is Liberty and that includes Christians and gays, wedding cake bakers and gay pride organizers.

Level 6

Location hidden

#605 Jan 8, 2014
Dr Reker s Bellhop wrote:
<quoted text>
You stupid bigot, you should be praying for your own eternal soul by your own tenets, since you run around persecuting and defaming and disfranchising only some "sinners," the ones that just so happen by pure coincidence to threaten you sexually in some way, or threaten your backwards gender ideas.
Don't invoke gawd. Hateful bigots like you make a mockery of the concept of Christianity or of the golden rule.
But eventually you backwater trash will realize that society is going to treat you bigoted filth as you have treated others.
Says the hate-filled bigot, who changes his ID regularly. Do you fear the police, FBI, or NSA?

You’re not very elusive.

Level 2

this one

#606 Jan 8, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
“No, it was a factually accurate description of your reply as being devoid of anything which should be confused with fact, logic or reason.” Interesting... But not surprising.
“You're the one comparing gay pride parades to private businesses. They actively police parades for violations of the law,” So now you admit to the exception to decency laws?
“shouldn't they actively police businesses as well?” No... Privately owned businesses should have a little regulation as possible in order to thrive... That’s for a different thread.
“They aren't being persecuted for their beliefs, they are being prosecuted for violating a law which applies to Non-Christian business owners as well. You are demanding a special right for believers, not happening.” No... My position is Liberty and that includes Christians and gays, wedding cake bakers and gay pride organizers.
What exception to indecency laws are you babbling about? I've seen people being told to cover it or to take what they are doing elsewhere, rather than being arrested or cited, but they do try to enforce the law at these events.

Sorry, but as long as there are businesses that try to offer their goods and services on a on an unacceptably discriminatory basis, this is a regulation that ALL businesses are going to have to live with, regardless of their faith or even complete lack thereof. The couple had a right to shop for a wedding cake and anything else in his place of business while homosexual, his right to his religious beliefs does not translate into a right to refuse them this or any other service because they are homosexual. It's just as offensive to the law as if he said Jesus doesn't bless any other couple who the law would otherwise protect. Would you be as true in your defense of his theorized 1st Amendment right, if what he was convicted of had been denying a wedding cake to an opposite sex couple getting married in your church, on the grounds that Jesus doesn't approve them? Or would you be advising the couple to call the ACLU? I get the feeling that your defense of his so-called rights is strictly do unto others what you would scream like hell if done unto you.
Dr Reker s Bellhop

Philadelphia, PA

#607 Jan 8, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the hate-filled bigot, who changes his ID regularly. Do you fear the police, FBI, or NSA?
You’re not very elusive.
Hey mongolid, I know why you simply can't deal with the issue of your hypocritically obsessing on one "sin," the one that activates your psycho sexual problems, as against every other "sin."

Because you don't have an answer. I am correct. You are a stupid cafeteria christianist without the insight or the intellectual capacity or the common decency to admit or notice this fact.

And we know who the bigots are, you trash. I never said ignorant, lying freeeks like you can't adopt kids, for example.

You're beneath stupid, hateful trash. Feel the society circling to reject mullah dissemblers like yourself, Jedediah.
yallsofunny

United States

#608 Jan 9, 2014
Gays are so funny. Go to another Bakery! End of Story. Next!

Level 2

this one

#609 Jan 9, 2014
yallsofunny wrote:
Gays are so funny. Go to another Bakery! End of Story. Next!
They went to another bakery AND filed charges against the one which had violated their civil rights. Why let this fool off the hook just because there's another bakery down the street? This one broke the law. You don't get to mug anybody in the name of God either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last post wins! (Feb '11) Sun Princess Hey 26,418
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) Sat Kreifels 30,198
the late great broncos Dec 9 OrangeCrush 6
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Dec 7 Max 745
Play the "end of the word" game (Jul '11) Dec 4 Princess Hey 4,281
Male on Female Facesitting topix? (Nov '16) Dec 4 pitiful jane 41
word association game time (Jan '11) Dec 3 Princess Hey 223

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance