Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 20 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#464 Dec 31, 2013
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's his place of business.
Hey mongoloid, we know you don't like the fact, but the fact is that private businesses are places of public accommodation. Business owners don't get to do whatever they want.

However, businesses could refuse service to kkk or your nazi friends, because those organizations are not protected on any basis in the law.

You lack the simplest grasp of the concepts at work here. All you know is how driven mad you are by the thought of an army of azzless chap wearing men on your sidewalk.
Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#465 Dec 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>ooo lil danny is sick of having to search the internet for pics of naked men's butts.
Pretty weird you'd spend the time finding all those pics if they didn't turn you on.
A closet case teen would not be taking the time to argue heatedly about business owners' rights [sic].

This is an uneducated, closet case adult we're hearing from.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#466 Dec 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Your first word summed up the rest of your post.
I have HAD IT with the LIE that you folks see nudity at Pride Parades. Public nudity is a crime and would be punished, Not only that but any future parades would never be possible. I also notice never a peep when you get flashed a nice set of female boobs during Mardi Gras, your bachelor party, and many other occasions. In fact you'd fight for a woman's right to wear a thong at a public pool.
Trust me Gomer, we know the laws and you don't.
Really.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2013/sep/17/1...

In 2004, a disgusting gay (oral-anal) sex act that was allowed to go on in the middle of the street (children were seen nearby)— right in front of a row of Chicago cops — involving two guys who were trying to get under the skin of a group of Christian protesters whom the cops were protecting; see http://www.illinoisfamily.org/informed/conten... ;

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics...

http://www.demotix.com/news/2230698/nude-expo...

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/homosexuals-...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/34386815 @N00/pool/tags/nude/

http://americablog.com/2013/03/sf-pride-nudit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://politicalloudmouth.com/photo-gaypride2...

----I'm sorry....who's the liar again?????

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM????
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#467 Dec 31, 2013
Pattysboi wrote:
fr Denver Dan:
>...These "parades" are nothing more than displays of indecent nudity and sexually charged behavior held in the most populated areas of cities while clogging main traffic thoroughfares liar....<
Nobody is forced to go see them. Now, run along and play until bedtime. You're interrupting, and the grownups want to talk. Besides, only adults are allowed to stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve, and you do NOT qualify as one.
Errr....

...yet again....BULLSHIT.

You stupid gays have these vulgar displays of sickness in the most traveled areas of a populated city only to block traffic.

If your statement were in any way true you'd pick a private area THEN you could say no one is making normal people see this shit.

You gays are never going to gain full acceptance with your non-respective nature...it's not just your world Junior.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#469 Dec 31, 2013
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey mongoloid, we know you don't like the fact, but the fact is that private businesses are places of public accommodation. Business owners don't get to do whatever they want.
However, businesses could refuse service to kkk or your nazi friends, because those organizations are not protected on any basis in the law.
You lack the simplest grasp of the concepts at work here. All you know is how driven mad you are by the thought of an army of azzless chap wearing men on your sidewalk.
Many do. Including gay establishments.

Difference is we give them enough respect not to go suing them into oblivion because they've got acts of open obscenity going on IN their bars, clubs and so on.

But you gays couldn't allow so much as one baker in a city of hundreds to not bake a cake for one of your brethren.

Laws can be turned against you as well fruitbowl. I could spend DAYS walking into gay owned bakeries and other businesses with homosexually offensive slogans on my shirt only to get denied or shorted only to spend my days tearing those businesses down as well dumbass.

This baker is NOTHING in the scheme of things yet you queers want to inflate it for your own angst. You're a sad bunch of bitches, of that no one has a doubt at this point.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#470 Dec 31, 2013
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
A closet case teen would not be taking the time to argue heatedly about business owners' rights [sic].
This is an uneducated, closet case adult we're hearing from.
Right.

Anyone who doesn't want to see your "boyfriend's" package bulging out of his pink thong is a "closet case"....according to you.

Go home. Open that closet door and crawl back inside. Until you can learn to respect others that share your community that's where you belong Rambo Rumphumper.

And I used to wonder why more than a dozen of you each month used to get your asses beaten into oilstains.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#471 Dec 31, 2013
southern alien wrote:
<quoted text>
First you have to prove such a thing as 'sin' exists before you can judge others for it.
Sexual orientation is not a 'choice', poor or otherwise.
Religion is a belief system.

No different than believing you were born gay vs. chose that sad life.

Disagree??

Well...just like in proving God exists I'd sure like to see that ghost of a DNA strand that made your queer.

I'm not an especially religious person myself but if you want respect ASSHAT you need to give it in return.

You combative queers. There's more wrong with you than just being gender confused.
Independent

United States

#472 Dec 31, 2013
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree??
Well...just like in proving God exists I'd sure like to see that ghost of a DNA strand that made your queer.
I'm not an especially religious person myself but if you want respect ASSHAT you need to give it in return.
You combative queers. There's more wrong with you than just being gender confused.
Well said, Dan
car mat

Berea, KY

#473 Jan 1, 2014
why is it when two queers get married one looks like a woman and wears panties,and two so called women marry one looks like a man with the biker billfold on a chain are you trying to give the impression of a man and woman . go ahead queers shove it a hole of $hit,and you leso,s drink that blood.you mentally sick pos
d pantz

United States

#474 Jan 1, 2014
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
please link the "laws" you have mentioned.
Is there a law that specifically protects gay men running naked down public streets? Where there are children? How about a law that makes a straight person doing the exact same thing a sex offender?
Please site the law that says you have to make gay cakes but not nazi cakes. This should be good.
d pantz

United States

#475 Jan 1, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Difference is we give them enough respect not to go suing them into oblivion because they've got acts of open obscenity going on IN their bars, clubs and so on.
But you gays couldn't allow so much as one baker in a city of hundreds to not bake a cake for one of your brethren.
Laws can be turned against you as well fruitbowl. I could spend DAYS walking into gay owned bakeries and other businesses with homosexually offensive slogans on my shirt only to get denied or shorted only to spend my days tearing those businesses down as well dumbass.
This baker is NOTHING in the scheme of things yet you queers want to inflate it for your own angst. You're a sad bunch of bitches, of that no one has a doubt at this point.
comparing a cake shop to a bar or club? I could go on about the differences but why?
d pantz

United States

#476 Jan 1, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Gee I've read the Constitution and I don't remember wedding cakes mentioned in the 1st Amendment, or the 10th.
You must have a different copy than the one our government uses.
Your religious freedom BS was tried in the 60's with blacks, remember?
But have a Happy New Year. I've enjoyed the laughs you've provided.
nor does it mention sexual preference. Or going against your personal beliefs because the state wants to tell you when your rights are protected and when they aren't. It just guarantees to protect our "god given rights". Freedom of religion comes to mind. Since churches are open to the public maybe we should make them preach Islam too. Screw their rights. There's no god anyway right, because you guys get all pissed off and say so...sure. that's it! All churches have to preach that there is no god. Why not? They never mention in the constitution that they shouldn't. It just mentions freedom of religion, which means having a group of of angry people tell you what to believe...right?
d pantz

United States

#477 Jan 1, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Single individuals are not similarly situated to those who have given up the rights, benefits and protections associated with that legal status for the status of married.
oh yeah? How? Because they don't want to get married that just makes it fair to put financial burden on them? You might want their opinion on that instead of your own.
d pantz

United States

#478 Jan 1, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Somebody has some serious maturity issues, don't they?
The service the baker provides is wedding cakes, not straight wedding cakes. Customers, regardless of their sexual orientation, have a right to that service. He doesn't enjoy the right to deny his wedding cake service because he and God disapprove of the sexual orientation of the couple. God can forgive his act, but can't excuse it before the civil law.
oh yeah? Are they state run or are they a private business that makes its own $ and decisions??? Like I said before, had the owner been secular and refused to make an Easter cake, there wouldn't be a problem.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#479 Jan 1, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
“The Government's interest in preventing discrimination outweighs his right to practice what he preaches in this case. It's why he was found guilty. The fact that he only selectively discriminated doesn't excuse his selected act of discrimination. They had an equal right to ALL goods and services on offer under the same terms and conditions as everybody else, a right he violated.” Yet the government perpetuates discrimination with regulations. The terms and conditions aren’t the SAME.
“But not absolute freedom.” No one is contending “absolute freedom.” except you.
“No it is not and you have yet to even try to prove how and why it is other than it being an absolute right.” Not selling a wedding cake to a gay couple based on religious belief versus political correctness is appropriate.

“I'm all in favor of the Constitution and the 1st Amendment, I'm not in favor of special rights for believers,” Only special rights for gay pride parades. The 1st Amendment applies to ALL Americans.

“He simply does not enjoy the 1st Amendment right to engage in otherwise illegal acts of discrimination against others, regardless of who he claims the right of moral disapproval over. Such a right does not exist and should not exist.” Now is because of “moral disapproval”? So you are in favor of government removing his rights because you dislike his “moral disapproval” of the gay relationship in favor of your “moral disapproval” of his actions.

“Once again, he is running a place of public accommodation and not a private free association of individuals. Wedding cake purchasers aren't petitioning for the moral approval of their wedding by any of those who provide non-religious services to them, they shouldn't have to.” Who are you to say a wedding cake is no religious service?

“The state has a compelling interest in preventing random acts of discrimination by businesses in the public square. You have offered no rational reason why they wouldn't. The fact that the state has such an interest and what they are doing doesn't only restrict the acts of people of faith, those of faith's 1st Amendment right to act according to their beliefs does not outweigh that.” Yes it does, especially in support of your own “moral disapproval”.

“Actually it does and only you would confuse a public bakery with a private place of worship.” You are confusing a public place of worship with a private place of business.
“I noticed, you and reality don't get along real well.” The reality is that not all Americans support and believe in personally or in government endorsed “gay marriage”, and since a wedding cake is a symbol of marriage a baker is within his rights based on our 1st Amendment. No law will nor should attempt to change that fact.

Level 6

Location hidden

#480 Jan 1, 2014
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>.
“Case in point. The right to his religious belief, not an absolute right. I've explained the level of strict I've scrutiny required for the government to be able to limit that right. I've explained the government's compelling interest in preventing discrimination by ALL business owners. I've explained how this compelling interest outweighs his claims of a right to practice what he preaches. You've pretty much ignored all these facts” These aren’t facts these are your ramblings of an opinion.
“and have stuck with your argument of it just has to be his 1st Amendment right, with no rhyme nor reason.” Because you disagree with the reason and that’s your right, but it doesn’t mean others have to give up their rights for what you believe (religious or otherwise).
“Because he is not in a similar situation to them, not even remotely. He is operating a business open to the public as defined by civil law, they are operating private spaces that they are free to limit to only like minded individuals. Notice the differences?” There is no difference.
“So you claim, but I notice a complete failure on your part to even try to prove it. When I tell you that you are mistaken, I prove why. You might want to try it some time. If you're right, it can be fun.” I have, but you disagree, which is fine, however, because your drive is to impose what you believe upon others who don’t agree with you, crosses the line of one’s individual freedom.
“Wait a second, you promoted the first batch of photos as being proof enough that decency laws were violated willy-dilly at gay pride parades, not that we would have to wait for your private stash of pictures as proof. Do illegal acts occur at pride parades, of course, crimes occur everywhere you have large groups of people gather. Do acts of indecency occur at gay pride parades, they do, but they are nowhere near as rampant as you imagine them to be and you can run into public acts of indecency just about anywhere. These parades aren't orgies and organizers actively discourage inappropriate and/or illegal acts. I have been a marshal at a half dozen parades, there to actively discourage illegal acts and acts of public misbehavior. Only the year I got the privilege of standing between parade participants and those wonderful Christians from Westboro, for about seven hours, three water bottles and an egg I took for them, was it a remotely eventful gig, other than suggesting to those who may have been indulging themselves more than necessary, that they needed to find a safe way home..” The dishonesty from you is appalling, and is cause to label you and not credible.

Level 6

Location hidden

#481 Jan 1, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Gee I've read the Constitution and I don't remember wedding cakes mentioned in the 1st Amendment, or the 10th.
You must have a different copy than the one our government uses.
Your religious freedom BS was tried in the 60's with blacks, remember?
But have a Happy New Year. I've enjoyed the laughs you've provided.
First Amendment to the United States Constitution: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
The wedding cake to the baker is a symbol of marriage, and whether you agree or not, because of the 1st Amendment he can only serve wedding cakes to man—woman couples if he so chooses.
Happy new year to you as well!
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#482 Jan 1, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, cretin, businesses do not get to do whatever they want under the current laws. Some groups are protected from arbitrary discrimination by law. The fact that you don't recognize existing laws or understand them really has no bearing on the existence of these laws.

You're just lyin and hyperventilatin' fer jeesus and drunk, agin', Jethro.
d pantz

United States

#483 Jan 1, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree??
everything is genetic. When did you "decide" you were straight? No gay gene? Okay so its a brain issue? That's genetic too. Happy new year!
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#484 Jan 1, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Right.
Anyone who doesn't want to see your "boyfriend's" package bulging out of his pink thong....
First of all, closet case, it's telling where your mind went there. I never brought up such things.

Second of all, of course an all encompassing obsession with railing about (male) homosexuality eight hours a day indicates closet issues. There's no debate about this. The topic touches you deeply...and you have to project that out onto others. It's a well known dynamic, and it's really sick.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jews 2 hr LactatingGoatFetish 2
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 2 hr Reverend Alan 3,351
106.7 kbpi is the worst morning show ever! 2 hr Sissypanties 543
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 23 hr Too Funny 17,555
Local Denver Street Gang Gets Exposure! (Mar '10) Thu Teacher 271
crossdressing (May '08) Apr 30 Jsk8692 15
Attn: Birth parents and Adoptees - Reunite at Apr 28 joanNYadoptees 2
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE