Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 48208 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

lides

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#2451 Jun 27, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
The name calling shows you're sustain for those who don't believe as you.
Respect71 wrote:
We are so far beyond that court case and the bias that has continued while ignoring law is staggering and sad.
Did you mean disdain? If so, you are correct, I believe that your views are contemptible.
Respect71 wrote:
I can absolutely support "gay marriage" while pointing to the flawed law that force and punish Americans to support and participate in an institution they don't believe in. It's sad that your desire is to punish and force Americans to you belief when the Constitution allows for our differences.
You could, it would make you a hypocrite.
Respect71 wrote:
I am for the liberty of ALL Americans, and I understand that the majority of Americans believe in traditional marriage. I am for "gay marriage" and NOT for punishing those who don't believe "gay marriage".
No, you aren't. You support a system where people can discriminate against others, and hold them as second class citizens. You have made this abundantly clear.
Respect71 wrote:
My guess is you are for diversity until you spot someone who doesn't believe as you and you want to punish them. THAT'S hypocrisy!
No, I support equality. You are the one advocating for a two tiered system where people can discriminate based upon their religious views.

I am not seeking to punish others, I am seeking to keep them from punishing potential patrons by denying service on the basis that doing so violates the proprietor's religious beliefs, which is fundamentally untrue.

It is fun to watch your mental acrobatics in trying to make a valid argument.
ZZZzz

Honolulu, HI

#2452 Jun 27, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
The name calling shows you're sustain for those who don't believe as you.
We are so far beyond that court case and the bias that has continued while ignoring law is staggering and sad.
I can absolutely support "gay marriage" while pointing to the flawed law that force and punish Americans to support and participate in an institution they don't believe in. It's sad that your desire is to punish and force Americans to you belief when the Constitution allows for our differences.
I am for the liberty of ALL Americans, and I understand that the majority of Americans believe in traditional marriage. I am for "gay marriage" and NOT for punishing those who don't believe "gay marriage".
My guess is you are for diversity until you spot someone who doesn't believe as you and you want to punish them. THAT'S hypocrisy!
You've made the only point that's ever been able to get me 'airborne". come with me -

Ride along with the Blue Angies.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#2453 Jun 27, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar. You don't support all instances of people breaking the law simply because their religion tells them to.
Agreed. The question they always want to refuse to deal with when it comes to this new call for religious freedom is why only limit it to dealing with SSM? If they truly believe religious views can exempt people from laws, then it's OK to stone sinners in the public square and own slaves.

The other question Respect has no answer to is why anti-gay businesses should enjoy special rights like they do in Mississippi.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#2454 Jun 27, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Did you mean disdain? If so, you are correct, I believe that your views are contemptible.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No, you aren't. You support a system where people can discriminate against others, and hold them as second class citizens. You have made this abundantly clear.
<quoted text>
No, I support equality. You are the one advocating for a two tiered system where people can discriminate based upon their religious views.
I am not seeking to punish others, I am seeking to keep them from punishing potential patrons by denying service on the basis that doing so violates the proprietor's religious beliefs, which is fundamentally untrue.
"If you're buying, we're selling."

That hardly seems a revolutionary statement for a business owner to make. But in Mississippi, that simple sentiment has become a rallying cry for small businesses.

Companies are going out of their way to make it clear they welcome all customers, including gay customers. That's just good business, and in light of recent Mississippi legislation, it's surprisingly necessary.

So let's take a moment to understand the potential size of the gay market. It's a great time to reflect on the advantages of making sure your small business welcomes gay customers.

That's larger than Florida's 2013 economic output, which ranks fourth behind California, Texas and New York, according to the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis.

Each year gay consumers buy more than everything created or sold in Florida: every home, hotel room, college education, mojito. Can you imagine turning your back on the buying power of Florida?

So you might find it hard to believe that a state in 2014 would enact legislation enshrining prejudice against gay customers.

In April, the Mississippi State Legislature passed and Gov. Phil Bryant signed a bill that civil- and gay-rights groups say will increase discrimination against gays and lesbians when it goes into effect in July.

The new law, called the Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act, bans the government from placing a burden on an individual's free exercise of his or her religion. While this sounds innocuous, gay-rights advocates say the law along with other similar laws in 18 states is designed to ensure that businesses in the state can openly discriminate against anyone in the LGBT community.

You see, it's already legal to openly discriminate against gays in Mississippi — and many other states. No federal laws prohibit discrimination against gays in housing or employment.

But that doesn't make discrimination right, and it certainly doesn't make gay bias good business.

- Strategies: Ignore gay market and leave money on table
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist...
ZZZzz

Honolulu, HI

#2455 Jun 28, 2014
* o.k.!* I'm awake...
THIS is better.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist...
Ya may have to try a couple of times, but it's worth it! GOOD INFORMATION
Especially the suggestions for "gay-......!
o.k.- THAT"s the LAST time I say the word - it's useless to me
....-owned businesses in MissEDhisHappiness OR ANYwhere else.
Us all Together
Working for us all
Achieving for All of US
is what I'm suggesting when I post these aeronautics videos.

Each of these pilots is more concerned for his fellow pilot than for himself. I think that may be the miracle that keeps all the mechanics and mathematics running well enough for this to happen.
ZZZzz

Honolulu, HI

#2456 Jun 28, 2014
Join me for lunch at the edge of our world.
70,000 feet up.

EN- enjoy.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2457 Jun 30, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. Denying service because of religion is religious discrimination., Your "what if" is the same thing the baker did. So yes that person should face prosecution.
Religious discrimination is illegal and wrong.
Happy now?
At least you’re consistent... Good to know you support government punishing the gay graphic designer. BUT I will stand with the gay graphic designer for his right guaranteed by our Constitution.

Are you happy now to know and understand you want to deny freedom to Americans?

Level 6

Location hidden

#2458 Jun 30, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Funny but you don't seem to have spent nearly as much time complaining about laws that would jail ministers for performing SSM's as you have spent on this thread defending a man who admitted to using religion as a basis to discriminate.
Now your turn.
Do you support people refusing service to blacks and Jews because of their religious beliefs?
Skin color is not the same as the institution of marriage... If you can’t be intellectually honest we can’t have the discussion.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2459 Jun 30, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
All people deserve religious freedom. That being said, religion is a plague. It causes people to be irrational and treat their fellow man poorly.
<quoted text>
It is doing neither.
“All people deserve religious freedom. That being said, religion is a plague. It causes people to be irrational and treat their fellow man poorly.” You will need to back that up with documentation... That being said, All Americans HAVE religious freedom guaranteed by our Constitution.

“It is doing neither.” It does, and if you think it doesn’t then you have a misunderstanding.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2460 Jun 30, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
The only difference in the "institution" is their sexuality. You'd have to be blind not to see that.
Please explain how I'm being intellectually dishonest.
The “difference in the "institution"” is the absence of a husband or a wife... NOT sexuality, and that’s how you are being intellectually dishonest.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2461 Jun 30, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar. You don't support all instances of people breaking the law simply because their religion tells them to.
Based on our Constitution our laws cannot restrict our religious freedom. That's no lie.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2462 Jun 30, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You hold your own views and ideals as superior to anyone who doesn’t believe the same as you and you want the government to punish those who don’t believe as you... If there was a law that would punish you for your superior view and ideal, are you telling me you would support it?

It’s not the governments place to force ANYONE to believe as you and the fact you desire to punish those you hate is sad and contemptible.
View of Eternity

Honolulu, HI

#2463 Jul 1, 2014
If you're still wasting time on this conversation then you're
NOT EDUCATING yourselves.
BTW the more you distinguish your fellows by names to describe SEXUAL ORIENTATION,- REALLY?!- the longer this stupidness will continue.
WE have WAY to much to LEARN to be wasting our time on this.
View of Eternity

Honolulu, HI

#2464 Jul 1, 2014

You need to sit quietly and listen to the conversation going on in the cockpit of the U-2
Level 4

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#2465 Jul 1, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“All people deserve religious freedom. That being said, religion is a plague. It causes people to be irrational and treat their fellow man poorly.” You will need to back that up with documentation...
You need look no further than the issue of gay rights. Some people want homosexuals treated as second class citizens. Other people even want them arrested for being gay. Why? Religion.
Respect71 wrote:
It does, and if you think it doesn’t then you have a misunderstanding.
The misunderstanding is yours. Selling someone a product is neither participation nor support of whatever they later choose to do with it. If Home Depot sells rope to a man and that man uses the rope to tie up a bank teller when he robs a bank, Home Depot is not supporting nor participating in the robbery.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2466 Jul 1, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
The “difference in the "institution"” is the absence of a husband or a wife... NOT sexuality, and that’s how you are being intellectually dishonest.
The gender composition of a marriage is based on sexual orientation. Don't be obtuse.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2467 Jul 1, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on our Constitution our laws cannot restrict our religious freedom.
Of course they can. Murder laws restrict the religious freedom of those who believe human sacrifice is important to their religion.
View of Eternity

Honolulu, HI

#2468 Jul 1, 2014

If I had not reverence for our beautiful world and everyone of you, I wouldn't bother posting this-
http://www.qwaym.com/cymatics-in-water/
and when I dream...
https://www.google.com/search...
REGARDLESS of sexual orientation.
View of Eternity

Honolulu, HI

#2469 Jul 1, 2014
I don't think that box is gonna fly
View of Eternity

Honolulu, HI

#2470 Jul 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
The gender composition of a marriage is based on sexual orientation. Don't be obtuse.
i'll see if a box can fly...
Go ahead. EDUCATE US. Put YOUR research and PERSONAL experience out there.
I dare you.
I double dog DARE you.
Besides, you're boring me to sleep.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last post wins! (Feb '11) 10 hr Princess Hey 26,291
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 11 hr tbird19482 28,201
Women Sat Assquatch 3
Male on Female Facesitting topix? Apr 28 alimaster 11
Devil Clown Inc. Big Top Saloon (Dec '11) Apr 28 Izzy-_- 3,435
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Apr 25 JP MORGAN 717
Opiates Apr 24 Hetmcb21 4

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages