Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

Jun 6, 2013 Full story: Denver Post 3,289

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Full Story
ZZZzz

Hemet, CA

#2428 Jun 25, 2014
Abrahammock Religions wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, sexually sick trash, you don't understand the law. As I said the presence of some sign like that has no bearing on the issue at hand. I explained the difference, but as usual the tee baggrz, who "have no political affiliation," except ignorance, misogyny and homophobia, could not avail themselves of actual information.
...SNORT!..*-Huh?
...ya woke me up -
oh,...ZZZZZzzz
mmm...dreaming

i'm not in Colorado,....
ZZZZZZzzzz
ZZZzz

Hemet, CA

#2429 Jun 25, 2014
-A Beautiful Spanish Fairytale to Enjoy with that Cake-
Some beautiful Spanish folks in Denver raised me up to be a REAL gentleman and CURED me of any misconceptions about sexual morality/immorality These folks gave me an old 'codex'-'it' grabbed me and showed me where I really come from. It and THEY also explained everything i'd ever been taught - AND a LOT I had not - about manners, public conduct and the VALUE of a good name; RESPECT for your reputation IS respect for yourself.
jackpot!
I was in a relationship with James. He and his sister Pat saved me from MYSELF by teaching me "Grace". NOW I feel like this all the time without fear of mistreatment or abuse from anyone. They showed me to my "true self", and THAT guy is NOT playin' because he/I is kind, beautiful and strong
just like James n Pat. No one brings ugliness to this place of grace. They just KNOW not to. They also gave me a treasure map to the most ASTOUNDING story ever told. There is a shade of "reddish blue" on this map that lead me to an ethereal place that's REAL.(seen it on Google Earth, it's real; won't say where to protect it) The color also lead me to Revelations 21:20 TOUCHDOWN!!!
That place had a king a1000 years ago that started it. Saw his picture up close - HE wasn't playin' either - now I know what i'm gonna look like when I'm 70.
Yes, that was me just over a year ago in Denver. I would have married him, but brothers cannot be lovers too.
His love has delivered me home to Hemet, with the map - and a Message of a kind of Divinity or something that brought me to the Hemet-Ryan airfield to see that P-38 Lightning I keep flying around this forum. The Beautiful Isreali Woman Yeshet Gobena said she will make the cake -
FABULOUS!
ZZZzz

Hemet, CA

#2430 Jun 25, 2014
Yeshet Gobena wrote:
<quoted text> I bake your cake if they don't
Yeshet Eddie wrote:
Being a Bi-Sexual woman and hoping to made a nice Ethiopian lady one day I think it is wrong to discrimate against gays, I also go by Yeshet Gobena, I am out of the closet
ZZZzz

Hemet, CA

#2431 Jun 25, 2014
<quoted text>
Excuse me, sexually sick trash, you don't understand the law. As I said the presence of some sign like that has no bearing on the issue at hand. I explained the difference, but as usual the tee baggrz, who "have no political affiliation," except ignorance, misogyny and homophobia, could not avail themselves of actual information.
(.)

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2432 Jun 25, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>A wedding cake has no inherent meaning. It is simply a cake that is served at a wedding.

Respect71 wrote, "
To discriminate service for any reason is against Colorado law. So says you and your friends.
"

False. Anti-discrimination laws protect people based on certain traits like race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation. They do not cover "any reason".
So what it comes down to is you support punishing an American for not believing the same as you, while denying facts that the baker serves gays all his products with the exception of a wedding cake which he reserves because of his belief in marriage.

Forcing an American to support and participate in something he doesn't belief in is un-American.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2433 Jun 25, 2014
<quoted text>You predictably have confused love (marriage) for hate (homophobic performance art.)

You're very sick, it pleases me to note. And there's no place in educated society for trash like you.
You confuse LIBERTY withy TYRANNY.
Your lack of education shows how sad and destructive your thought is to American society.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2434 Jun 25, 2014
<quoted text>You're sick, and lying about the law. You're lying about the law despite the additional fact that you are incapable of understanding the law.

A graphic designer may not refuse service to all Christians just because they are Christians.

The sexually sick, hypocritical christianist - who bakes wedding cakes for co habitating couples, divorced people who are re marrying, couples who commit the sin of coveting - refuses service to an entire protected class of persons.

He's a stu pid bigot who does not follow scripture. He has a homosexual fixation, as you do.
You're right! And the baker didn't refuse service because they were gay! He denied a WEDDING CAKE because he didn't want to support and participate in an institution he doesn't believe in.

I stand and support the gay graphic designer in not having to design protest signs same as I do the baker who doesn't want to be forced to support and participate in "gay weddings".

Level 6

Location hidden

#2435 Jun 25, 2014
igotta ASK wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, you know those signs up in some businesses that say
"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" ?
Did the bakery have one of those signs and
and if so how has that worked out for the baker?
What is the CURRENT status of this issue ?
I don't believe he had a sign. Not sure the law would permit.

The Colorado civil liberties commission, ignored law and ordered the baker to serve wedding cakes to gays (as of now I haven't seen a written order from to commission as of yet). His lawyer is assessing the next step for this case.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2436 Jun 25, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>No, moron, as I have pointed out time and time again, that is a different issue.

"Finally, Respondents argue that if they are compelled to make a cake for a
same-sex wedding, then a black baker could not refuse to make a cake bearing a white-supremacist message for a member of the Aryan Nation; and an Islamic baker could not
refuse to make a cake denigrating the Koran for the Westboro Baptist Church.
However, neither of these fanciful hypothetical situations proves RespondentsÂ’ point. In
both cases, it is the explicit, unmistakable, offensive message that the bakers are asked
to put on the cake that gives rise to the bakersÂ’ free speech right to refuse. That,
however, is not the case here, where Respondents refused to bake any cake for
Complainants regardless of what was written on it or what it looked like. Respondents
have no free speech right to refuse because they were only asked to bake a cake, not
make a speech."
https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/asse...

You look positively mindless, when you routinely raise this argument, not acknowledging that it has already been addressed as a matter of law, and it doesn't pass the lowest levels of judicial scrutiny.
I'm not the one calling you the names, hating on you, while mindlessly citing the same court ruling over and over, trying to justify you hate and fustian for those who don't believe as you do.

I'm the one standing for liberty for ALL Americans... "Gay marriage" and bakers who want their talents to be used for traditional marriage ceremonies, because of our Constitution!
Level 4

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#2437 Jun 26, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
So what it comes down to is you support punishing an American for not believing the same as you
False. His beliefs are irrelevant. His actions are what matter. If he wants to run a business, he must follow certain guidelines: paying taxes, keeping his kitchen clean, not hiring children, and not discriminating.

I don't care if his religion says taxes are evil, that cockroaches are holy creatures, that children must be enslaved, or that gay people don't deserve service.
Respect71 wrote:
, while denying facts that the baker serves gays all his products with the exception of a wedding cake which he reserves because of his belief in marriage.
I never denied that fact - it simply isn't relevant.
Respect71 wrote:
Forcing an American to support and participate in something he doesn't belief in is un-American.
That isn't occurring, so stop repeating that lie.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2438 Jun 26, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right! And the baker didn't refuse service because they were gay!
If that couple requesting a wedding cake was straight, he would have sold it to them. Therefore, it was their sexuality that caused the refusal.
Respect71 wrote:
I stand and support the gay graphic designer in not having to design protest signs same as I do the baker who doesn't want to be forced to support and participate in "gay weddings".
Of course. You're too dumb to see the difference even after it's been explained to you a dozen times.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#2440 Jun 26, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
I'm not the one calling you the names, hating on you, while mindlessly citing the same court ruling over and over, trying to justify you hate and fustian for those who don't believe as you do.
Respect, in all fairness, you have earned every insult with your witless assertions.
You can't support something, while simultaneously constructing a framework upon which people can discriminate against the very same activity you just claimed to support. The reason I keep referring to that court decision is the same reason that you cannot refute it. It provides an excellent overview of the topic, and rightly refutes each of your arguments in support of discrimination. It also annihilates the notion that providing a service for someone with differing beliefs is a violation of any of the rights of the proprietor.
Respect71 wrote:
I'm the one standing for liberty for ALL Americans... "Gay marriage" and bakers who want their talents to be used for traditional marriage ceremonies, because of our Constitution!
No, Respect, you aren't. You routinely claim to support same sex marriage, but then immediately seek to allow others to discriminate against same sex couples who choose to marry. That isn't support, it is hypocrisy.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#2441 Jun 26, 2014
lides wrote:
You routinely claim to support same sex marriage, but then immediately seek to allow others to discriminate against same sex couples who choose to marry. That isn't support, it is hypocrisy.
Is a gay marriage a person? The baker doesn't want to participate in a same sex wedding.
This is yet another example of you not understanding the difference between a person and an event. The men were regular customers of that bakery. They were never denied service.
There was no discrimination. There was a refusal to participate in an event.
Level 4

Location hidden

#2442 Jun 26, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Is a gay marriage a person?
No, the customer is. The baker made wedding cakes and sold them regularly. When a gay couple attempted to buy one, they were denied.
Wondering wrote:
The baker doesn't want to participate in a same sex wedding.
No one asked him too. Baking a cake isn't participation in an event where the cake is eaten.
Wondering wrote:
This is yet another example of you not understanding the difference between a person and an event. The men were regular customers of that bakery. They were never denied service.
There was no discrimination. There was a refusal to participate in an event.
This is another example of your dishonesty.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2443 Jun 26, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>False. His beliefs are irrelevant. His actions are what matter. If he wants to run a business, he must follow certain guidelines: paying taxes, keeping his kitchen clean, not hiring children, and not discriminating.

I don't care if his religion says taxes are evil, that cockroaches are holy creatures, that children must be enslaved, or that gay people don't deserve service.

Respect71 wrote, "
, while denying facts that the baker serves gays all his products with the exception of a wedding cake which he reserves because of his belief in marriage.
"

I never denied that fact - it simply isn't relevant.

Respect71 wrote, "
"

That isn't occurring, so stop repeating that lie.
Showing you hate for religion is telling.
Sad, especially when our Country was founded on the idea of religious freedom.

Government forcing a American to support and participate in an event he doesn't believe in is un-American.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2444 Jun 26, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>If that couple requesting a wedding cake was straight, he would have sold it to them. Therefore, it was their sexuality that caused the refusal.

Respect71 wrote, "
I stand and support the gay graphic designer in not having to design protest signs same as I do the baker who doesn't want to be forced to support and participate in "gay weddings". "

Of course. You're too dumb to see the difference even after it's been explained to you a dozen times.
It's the institution not the sexuality.

It's your intellectual dishonesty that gets in your way.

Level 6

Location hidden

#2445 Jun 26, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>Respect, in all fairness, you have earned every insult with your witless assertions.
You can't support something, while simultaneously constructing a framework upon which people can discriminate against the very same activity you just claimed to support. The reason I keep referring to that court decision is the same reason that you cannot refute it. It provides an excellent overview of the topic, and rightly refutes each of your arguments in support of discrimination. It also annihilates the notion that providing a service for someone with differing beliefs is a violation of any of the rights of the proprietor.
Respect71 wrote, "I'm the one standing for liberty for ALL Americans... "Gay marriage" and bakers who want their talents to be used for traditional marriage ceremonies, because of our Constitution! "

No, Respect, you aren't. You routinely claim to support same sex marriage, but then immediately seek to allow others to discriminate against same sex couples who choose to marry. That isn't support, it is hypocrisy.
The name calling shows you're sustain for those who don't believe as you.

We are so far beyond that court case and the bias that has continued while ignoring law is staggering and sad.

I can absolutely support "gay marriage" while pointing to the flawed law that force and punish Americans to support and participate in an institution they don't believe in. It's sad that your desire is to punish and force Americans to you belief when the Constitution allows for our differences.

I am for the liberty of ALL Americans, and I understand that the majority of Americans believe in traditional marriage. I am for "gay marriage" and NOT for punishing those who don't believe "gay marriage".

My guess is you are for diversity until you spot someone who doesn't believe as you and you want to punish them. THAT'S hypocrisy!

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#2446 Jun 26, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you agree in prosecuting the gay graphic designer who denies services to Westboro baptist church for discrimination.
Yes. Denying service because of religion is religious discrimination., Your "what if" is the same thing the baker did. So yes that person should face prosecution.

Religious discrimination is illegal and wrong.

Happy now?

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#2447 Jun 26, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
The name calling shows you're sustain for those who don't believe as you.
We are so far beyond that court case and the bias that has continued while ignoring law is staggering and sad.
I can absolutely support "gay marriage" while pointing to the flawed law that force and punish Americans to support and participate in an institution they don't believe in. It's sad that your desire is to punish and force Americans to you belief when the Constitution allows for our differences.
I am for the liberty of ALL Americans, and I understand that the majority of Americans believe in traditional marriage. I am for "gay marriage" and NOT for punishing those who don't believe "gay marriage".
My guess is you are for diversity until you spot someone who doesn't believe as you and you want to punish them. THAT'S hypocrisy!
Funny but you don't seem to have spent nearly as much time complaining about laws that would jail ministers for performing SSM's as you have spent on this thread defending a man who admitted to using religion as a basis to discriminate.

Now your turn.

Do you support people refusing service to blacks and Jews because of their religious beliefs?
Level 4

Location hidden

#2448 Jun 27, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Showing you hate for religion is telling.
Sad, especially when our Country was founded on the idea of religious freedom.
All people deserve religious freedom. That being said, religion is a plague. It causes people to be irrational and treat their fellow man poorly.
Respect71 wrote:
Government forcing a American to support and participate in an event he doesn't believe in is un-American.
It is doing neither.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 3 hr Go Blue Forever 12,518
ISSL - Bushes legacy. What is the lure? 3 hr Kawalski 1
last post wins! (Feb '11) 17 hr mr goodwrench 24,651
COMFORT DENTAL ....How Many of you feel Ripped ... (Apr '08) Sun Mary 79
Nude photos of 12-year-old girl circulated via ... (Feb '10) Sep 13 seema 304
What would happen if the United States ever dec... (Oct '10) Sep 13 boots 150
Another black kid shot by police that was unarmed Sep 12 twalsh801 3
•••
•••
•••